closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7A38 prices?

Craftsman

Seiko 7A38 prices?

Evening all,
    I'm looking for a guide as to what's a reasonable price for a 7A38 Chrono. (I cant view the sales section here yet)

I've had a poke about on Seiko7A38.com, but current values are hard to find in amongst all the info.

Currently I'm torn between an F300 Seamaster and a Seiko...

Dave

Perhaps an eBay search for completed/sold listings might help?

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 15th May 2015 at 22:13. Reason: Tiredness.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That's not a 7A38, ralphy. The yellow 7a38 chrono's do go for a lot these days.

As for other models, the price on ebay will really vary quite a bit. Some 7a38 models are a lot more popular than others.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

Perhaps an eBay search for completed/sold listings might help?

R
    Oh, I feel dumb now....
    Forgot all about the completed listings type of search...

ta
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    That's not a 7A38, ralphy. The yellow 7a38 chrono's do go for a lot these days.

As for other models, the price on ebay will really vary quite a bit. Some 7a38 models are a lot more popular than others.
    I’m feeling a bit dumb too - my only excuse is jet-lag...

Edited my post.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries

Here is my 7a38-7020
    7a28= no day/date.
    7a38= day/date.
    7a48= moonphase

Also had this almost NOS 7a28

Think I payed about £175 for the 7a38 and about £350 for the 7a28.
    Price differ a lot depending on model.p, and the fun models are getting hard to find.
    Last edited by yonsson; 16th May 2015 at 09:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Evening all,
    I'm looking for a guide as to what's a reasonable price for a 7A38 Chrono. (I cant view the sales section here yet)

I've had a poke about on Seiko7A38.com, but current values are hard to find in amongst all the info.
    Dave
    As andamanen wrote - it very much depends on the model - anything from 50 Quid for a well-worn gold-tone beater to nearly a Grand for some of the rarer more desirable models in mint condition.

PS - Apologies for the information overload.

Talking Reminded me of this ....

Without doubt, the absolute CRAZIEST price asked for a 7A38 on eBay ever - a gold-tone at that !

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...s/show/7402444

PS - eBay is still by far the best place to find Seiko 7A38's, but you need to exercise caution - speculative over-pricing, particularly by dealers, is rife. Plus avoid any of the botched up junk coming out of Philippines like the plague.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th May 2015 at 12:21.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Without doubt, the absolute CRAZIEST price asked for a 7A38 on eBay ever - a gold-tone at that !

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...s/show/7402444

PS - eBay is still by far the best place to find Seiko 7A38's, but you need to exercise caution - speculative over-pricing, particularly by dealers, is rife. Plus avoid any of the botched up junk coming out of Philippines like the plague.
    But, it's gold. ;)

Apprentice
    I have bought this 7A38 in the 80s, Still ticking.

Funnily enough, the third 7A38 I bought (once I'd started collecting) off eBay in January 2009 was this stainless 7A38-7280:

I paid £60 for it. Its bracelet needed a bit of fettling. About a year later I bought another for £50.
    (I have 2 other mint examples besides, including the US market -7289 version).
    Both the cheapies are regular everyday beaters - this one stays accurate to +1 second / month.

@ Dave S .... before you ask - you'd be very lucky to pick up one of these for 50 Quid or so nowadays - but tattier examples of the gold-tone 7A38-7289 can still be had for peanuts.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th May 2015 at 18:12.

Craftsman
    This is part of my dilemma.
    5 or so years ago they were very reasonable, now there are higher prices, but then inflation and increasing rarity would do that.
    I see a lot at over 300, which seems a lot, but then some fail to sell at 150...
    The issued ones seem to have a following willing to pay what I consider over the odds for instance

Dave

The issued ones seem to have a following willing to pay what I consider over the odds for instance
    The only genuine 'issued' 7A38 is the 7A38-7070 issued by the SAAF (500 pcs only) - hence any examples are very hard to come by - even in South Africa. Many were scrapped, unfortunately.

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...7040-7a38-7070

The civilian version of the 7A38-7070 (almost exactly the same watch, bar the earlier style polished edge hands fitted) is relatively easy to find. I picked this one up on eBay in the UK only a few weeks ago for £128. It just needed a good clean; Yobokies replacement bezel insert and bit of tidying up.

Before:

After:

If by 'issued' you're referring to the 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 (rather than a 7A38) then all the current pricing info you could ever want is in this thread, if you take the trouble to read through it:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...cewatch-thread
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th May 2015 at 18:58.

There are some funky non-Seiko 7a38's out there as well. I found this Yema on the cheap:

Craftsman
    I was referring to the RAF 7a28, but only in as much as they seem to fetch more!
    I missed that on your site, like I said, I think all the info is there, just my finding of it is poor :(

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    There are some funky non-Seiko 7a38's out there as well. I found this Yema on the cheap:

There are indeed. Lots of other brands besides Yema too. That Yema N8 1X26 is very popular with those of a 'military' persuasion, because of the look - plus the long-ish lugs allow it to be worn on a NATO, without putting too much load on the spring bars. I've got a couple myself: one on the original Yema tan leather strap and this one.

Pity about the non-rotating bezel; disproportionately large over-sized screw-down crown and weedy pushers.

Yema made some of the funkiest designed non-Seiko branded 7A38's. I quite like this dressy little N8 YM53.

Here's a Yema N8 1W63 Breguet Classique rip-off I picked up on eBay Italy a few weeks ago for less than 30 Euros:

But my by far and away my favourite Yema '7A38' is the N8 0P76 - the 43mm Spationaute III.

Got far too many (that's just a few of them) !
    One of my few outstanding long-term grails is to find a genuine space-flown watch.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th May 2015 at 23:03.

Blog Entries
    There are tons of nice models. Kind of wishing this was the 80s. :D
    the integrated bracelets are really quite nice if it's in a good condition. The close to NOS Bishop I had felt very solid dispite the folded bracelet.

Craftsman
    But my by far and away my favourite Yema '7A38' is the N8 0P76 - the 43mm Spationaute III.

That *really* pops on the yellow strap.

Superb

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    There are tons of nice models. Kind of wishing this was the 80s. :D
    Of course, no (diverse) 7Axx collection would be complete without a Jean Lassale Thalassa - the Swiss Made (date only) 7Axx. A real piece of 80's kitsch. Here's my 'poor man's stainless 7A74-017.

Also available in 18ct (solid) gold, back in the day:

For the ultimate in exclusivity there was the Fred Force 10 '7A38' - 18ct gold and braided stainless.
    This is Ari Vatanen's own personal watch - as presented to him by Fred on the 1988 Paris Dakar.

I suppose I should have this on my outstanding grail list, but I'm not too enamoured with the styling. Plus Ari won't sell.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th May 2015 at 21:51.

That *really* pops on the yellow strap.

Superb

Dave
    Cheers, Dave ....

But the Pièce de Résistance is the lining of that yellow strap:

Vive La Différence - Vive La France !

For the ultimate in exclusivity there was the Fred Force 10 '7A38' - 18ct gold and braided stainless.
    This is Ari Vatanen's own personal watch - as presented to him by Fred on the 1988 Paris Dakar.

I suppose I should have this on my outstanding grail list, but I'm not too enamoured with the styling. Plus Ari won't sell.
    I guess I can scratch that one off my outstanding grail list now.