closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Simple DIY advice required...................

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Simple DIY advice required...................

Firstly I dont do DIY but want to do a small job, namely put up a door curtain on the back door.

I need to put a wooden baton over the door and want to know what best to stick it up with, something like No nails I would guess but there is probably a better solution/product.

You don't want to be using anything that just sticks it to the walls. Really you should be drilling and screwing. Surprising how heavy some long curtains can be and then factor in the associated movement. Also depending on you walls you may just pull off your plaster with gluing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pictures would help so we can see what is involved as there may be space considerations.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

You could glue it up with no nails and then drill and screw to make it easy to align holes etc

I would use a wood batton screwed on the wall into holes pre drilled and plugged ,if it's exposed to rain treat it with wood preservative. Then fasten the curtain whatever type to it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I would use a wood batton screwed on the wall into holes pre drilled and plugged ,if it's exposed to rain treat it with wood preservative. Then fasten the curtain whatever type to it.
    No rain issues as its internal.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Pictures would help so we can see what is involved as there may be space considerations.

Space is not an issue, its my lack of skill which is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    something like No nails.
    Like servicing a Rolex with a squirt of WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely not a job for adhesive, just to put another potential spanner in the works, I tried to do this once and there was a super hard concrete lintle over the door frame that was a pig to drill into.
    Cheers..
    Jase

You might get away with adhesive, but really the best solution is drill and screw using plugs.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The door in question

Doesn’t look like you’ll have much room either side of the door for the curtain to hang when open. Are you sure it won’t be in the way?

I’d drill and plug, then put no nails on the baton and screw in. Belt and braces.

If you are painting the baton don’t forget to do that before putting it up.

Then caulk around the baton when it is up.

Craftsman
    Why do you even need the batten? I'd attach the curtain pole/rail/track directly to the wall above the door. The curtain will sit closer to the wall that way. As already noted, if there's a lintel they can be difficult to drill, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Why do you even need the batten? I'd attach the curtain pole/rail/track directly to the wall above the door. The curtain will sit closer to the wall that way. As already noted, if there's a lintel they can be difficult to drill, but not impossible.
    ^^^^^^^^^ this

Master
    so you are fixing a flat wooden baton to the wall and then screwing the curtain fixings into the baton?

Cut the baton to length and sand it and do anything like painting or whatever to it.

Drill a hole through it at each end a couple of inches in from the end and in the middle of it. A 5mm hole will probably do the screw can be 5-6mm better if its a bit tight.

Put a spirit level on top of it and hold it central over the door so it's level and mark through the holes with a pencil. Get some rawlplugs and see what size hole it says to drill for them (usually 8mm). Stick the rawlpugs in the holes, make sure they are tight so they don't spin when you screw into them.

Put the baton back up and screw through the holes into the plugs.

that wall looks like it might be dry lined or hollow so rawlplugs might not be man enough for the job, in which case you need some hollow wall plugs instead to bear the weight. There are various different types but you need to drill a hole the right size for them. Here's a link for them, i've used the spring toggles and the plastic ones, the Gripit type are good as well but you need to drill a big hole for them and i don't think you will need that amount of strength.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-p...100-pack/58219

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    The weight of curtains plus daily use will likely pull the curtain rail away from the wall. Screws will bite better into the baton.

Craftsman
    If it's a single curtain, you'll need to move your console table to allow the curtain to open fully to open the door. If it's a pair, then the right hand one will obscure your light switch. If it's just a problem with light through that glass, then a blackout blind mounted to the door might be better although those marks look like someone already had a go at that.

If it's for insulation or drafts then consider getting better or secondary door seals or even replacing the whole door.

There may well be a concrete lintel above the door and I'd prefer to put a piece of timber there rather than screw the curtain mounts directly into the lintel. A good hammer drill will get into the lintel. Three 6mm holes will be enough.

If you have no DIY skills, then just pay a local handyman to do it as he can then plane the edges of the timber to bevel it which will be more aesthetic when primed and painted in wall colour.

I certainly wouldn't be gluing it.

Craftsman
    Barton’s seem quite a popular choice.

Last house we had a curtain.

Best advice is not to skimp on quality as if you are trying to stop light or the draft the curtain will be heavy.

I bought a decent pole attached the brackets with a 6mm rawl plug and never had a bother.

Make sure the bracket is located so the curtain is out of the way of the door though...stating the obvious is my speciality

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This place is slipping...

Correct response should be MX-5.

Use a pole with at least 3 fixing points in each bracket, select the right plugs (plasterboard or standard), drill and screw using at least 50mm screws.

No wood needed. Simple job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loads of good advice here and just wanted to add a couple of things

You will defo have a lintle , so you need to find out if its concrete or steel. Give it a knock with your knuckles sound hollow or solid ?

this will then tell you what fixings you need , if its concrete you will be better off drilling with a SDS hammer drill SO much quicker and less chance of burning out the motor on your combi hammer drill.

if hollow follow the advice below for plasterboard fixings. Do you know anyone you can borrow a sds drill from for 30 mins ? If not just get a few drill bits at 7 or 8 mm brown rawl plug size for a hammer drill

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    The weight of curtains plus daily use will likely pull the curtain rail away from the wall. Screws will bite better into the baton.
    I don't necessarily agree, this has never yet happened to me in 30+ years of home ownership. Of course, the use of appropriate fixings for the situation and high quality hardware is essential. The first thing the OP should do is throw away the screws that came with the rail, they are invariably too short and made of something resembling cheese!

Have you considered attaching a curtain to the back of the door? It would be a doddle to fit a curtain wire to the door if it’s wooden and only a touch more difficult if plastic.

I would also question the practicality of hanging a curtain over a doorway if the door gets much use at all.

It’s all down to your needs of course.

Master
    Alternatively just get the blinds & frames that fit to the glass area of the door, we have these in our summer room.

Master
    If it's for privacy just screw a roller blind to the section above the glass! As the door opens inwards it would be a pain in the neck to use a curtain!

What's the purpose you're trying to achieve, Ben?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    If it's for privacy just screw a roller blind to the section above the glass! As the door opens inwards it would be a pain in the neck to use a curtain!
    I think this is the way to go for me.

Its just to block out strong sunlight, south facing door. No droughts or anything to worry about.

The eagle eyed Amungst you will notice the white paint above the glass, remnants of my last half assed attempt to fit a blind. I stuck some wooden batoning to the door to fit the last blind which worked to a fashion but the top of the blind hit the wall. So I thought I would screw it directly into the door (metal plate) and failed with that too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What's the purpose you're trying to achieve, Ben?

R
    Just to block out strong sunlight Ralph, though Sal now say she quite likes the extra light coming in.

Women eh 🙄

Blog Entries
    Something like this Ben only smaller a very simple bracket on three hangers i presume you are looking at draft proofing in the winter?

Just read sunlight we sometimes use the curtain for this purpose
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Just get some blinds, for them over the top of the glass, you should then be able cover up the current holes in the door as a bonus.

Master
    You will probably have a catnic lintel over the door, it is steel. It should be ok to drill into but you need a metal drill after you've gone through the plaster. Them get brackets and a pole as people have mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Definitely not a job for adhesive, just to put another potential spanner in the works, I tried to do this once and there was a super hard concrete lintle over the door frame that was a pig to drill into.
    Same here, and I ended up using No Nails as I just couldn’t make any impression on it. I went through a couple of drill bits, too.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th September 2019 at 19:55.

Blog Entries
    There’s a curtain on the right on the pic. The new one should be hanging down from the same height. If not, it will look odd.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ben, if it's just for blocking the light, don't bother with drilling the wall, just put a blackout blind on the door itself to cover the glass.

Just to block out strong sunlight Ralph, though Sal now say she quite likes the extra light coming in.

Women eh 
    You could fit a roller blind onto the door itself - and it's an easier job too.

Or give her some sunglasses.

R

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Ben, if it's just for blocking the light, don't bother with drilling the wall, just put a blackout blind on the door itself to cover the glass.
    Self adhesive window film ? I have a triangular window and some of this from eBay worked well and also avoids drilling?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You could fit a roller blind onto the door itself - and it's an easier job too.

Or give her some sunglasses.

R
    I agree, as can be seen on the door though, it’s been tried before and there is a witness mark where the blind hits the door recess on the left when open, but I think a made to measure one that is the same width as the glass pane would mitigate that issue.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Simple DIY advice required...................

You can get blinds that clip into the window frame and can cover or uncover the glass as you wish.

Not a big job to fit either and no drilling.

https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/conserv...indow%20Blinds
    Last edited by Dave+63; 8th September 2019 at 08:07.

Blog Entries
    If it’s just a simple solution to block the light then google ‘stick on window blind’ there are lots of results.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Like servicing a Rolex with a squirt of WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nowt wrong with that, it’s what St James do anyway.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Now thats an idea thats right up my street.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If it’s just a simple solution to block the light then google ‘stick on window blind’ there are lots of results.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You can get blinds that clip into the window frame and can cover or uncover the glass as you wish.

Not a big job to fit either and no drilling.

https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/conserv...indow%20Blinds
    This is what I was going to link to, they are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Now thats an idea thats right up my street.
    Yup. Simple is best!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    And there I was thinking it was April fools day already....lol.