closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To purge nor not to purge?

Craftsman

To purge nor not to purge?

I have hit a point of massive indecision. My collection feels like it has totally ballooned and I wonder if it is time to move on a large number of watches. I find myself wearing many of these infrequently and going for a few all the time.

The flip side is that some of these I have bought and repaired and I feel an attachment to them. Others are in such great condition I am slightly hesitant to let them go. Some gifts etc.

Beyond the ones in the photos I have a Vostok amphibia 2209 with hinged lugs being serviced which will be a keeper, a mint condition 60s manual chronograph which is also being serviced but is on the chopping block and an automatic 60s Avia dive watch which is currently dismantled and awaiting a new crystal and gaskets.

So do I sit on the decision, decide to hold onto the ones I am not wearing or move them on and reinvest the money elsewhere (in watches)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason I would keep watches I don't wear would be for sentimental (e.g. first watch, given by a loved one), financial or rarity reasons. I wear some of my Rolex very infrequently but keep them as difficult to replace (e.g. Hulk, where I might miss it) and I think prices will continue rising over the medium term.

I am thinking financials probably don't apply as much to yours, so I'd only keep if precious to you or difficult to replace (and you might want to).

A lot of yours look similar (e.g. first photo), but then I suppose you could say the same for many Rolex!

P.S. The fact you're thinking about it often means "Yes, do it".

Master
    I appreciate that each of us collect watches for different reasons. That said, with so many similar watches, in your shoes I'd be purging. Keep the favourites and perhaps try a few new watch types.

Master
    I too would be purging.

Master
    Consider how much it will cost to service all these over the next ten years, and what you could have instead. If the answer is a well maintained vintage Omega, personally I’d go for it. Each to his own though. It seems you have the collecting bug, so you may find it hard to stop there.

Too many very similar watches there. I think you could get down to five: the Alpha Explorer, the Rado DateJust, the Seiko Pilot, one of the chronographs, and one of the dress watches.

Blog Entries
    If you fancy some differences then go for it, purge away. (But don't be over-zealous as you'll only regret it).

As for pure numbers, you certainly don't have too many watches.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    As for pure numbers, you certainly don't have too many watches.
    Hi Mark - out of interest, how would you define too many? I think 18 seems like too many, but I know it's very subjective. I think 5 is a nice number (although I have around 10, so not obeying my own advice). Asking as I you seem to consider carefully before opining. Thanks, Andrew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Hi Mark - out of interest, how would you define too many? I think 18 seems like too many, but I know it's very subjective. I think 5 is a nice number (although I have around 10, so not obeying my own advice). Asking as I you seem to consider carefully before opining. Thanks, Andrew
    Yes, you're right, it is subjective so I guess that what is "too many" depends on one's personal preferences. I can only say that I have ahem... err... over 250 in my collection.

With a few exceptions I only keep watches I actually wear (albeit in rotation of course).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th September 2019 at 12:51.

... I can only say that I have ahem... err... over 250 in my collection. With a few exceptions I only keep watches I actually wear (albeit in rotation of course).
    Wow, that is quite some collection! You must own alot of socks! It reminds me of the post (a US or Japanese collector I think) of some chap's watch collection, photos of thousands of watches on trays and in bags, in his garage (no, not Jocke). Probably 10 years ago or longer, but still makes me clammy ...

Regarding rotation, I'd feel sad thinking I wouldn't be wearing one of my watches for another 8 months or so ...

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is quite some collection! You must own alot of socks!
    LOL It is a shocking number when I write it down like that.

Regarding rotation, I'd feel sad thinking I wouldn't be wearing one of my watches for another 8 months or so ...
    Well, I can and do shortcut the rotation if I feel like it for a particular watch. No rule has to be absolute. ;-)

But one of the things I actually enjoy is coming back to a watch I haven't worn for some time: It's almost like having a new watch without having to pay for it.

Also, at any one time there are often quite a few out of the rotation: For example, awaiting repair, awaiting a new battery, or awaiting a longer strap or bracelet.

Master
    They're pleasant reading, these threads, but I really don't think anyone else's reflections can ultimately help with something so subjective as this. Someone who loves piling up watches piles up watches; someone who can't bear the thought of piling up unused watches and prefers to stick with one sticks with one. You've acquired all these for a reason, speak of sentimental attachment to and investment in them; it sounds to me like you'd regret casting them off.

Mark of London -- Credit to you for some serious Hoarding ! . Have you ever posted pics ? I would love to see that collection any stand outs/ special, rare ect

Op I would do what you feel comfortable with, you do have a few of the same style dress, time only ect. If it was me I would probably hang on to them as the are not worth a great deal unfortunately . They may be difficult to sell unless really cheap / giveaway , is it worth the bother !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Mark of London -- Credit to you for some serious Hoarding ! . Have you ever posted pics ? I would love to see that collection any stand outs/ special, rare ect
    Ahem, that is structured collecting, not hoarding. ;-)

Nothing really special or exciting. Just things that take my fancy. I occasionally post pics here on TZ-UK when relevant and I posted a very, very small selection on my TZ-UK blog a few years ago (the collection was smaller then as well). Nothing too exciting, as you'll see if you look at it. I didn't continue as I found I just didn't have time. Link in my sig below.

Unfortunately I just remembered that all the pictures have disappeared from the blog. Some time ago people complained that my image hosting was too slow so I solved the problem the easy way (for me!) by deleting everything. I'll put it all back on faster hosting one day but, like so many things, I've not yet found a round tuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    They may be difficult to sell unless really cheap / giveaway , is it worth the bother !
    They'll sell easily enough for market prices for those items on eBay. Lots of buyers for that sort of stuff there, even if not here. In fact, most of those watches would have sold readily here on TZ-UK back when I first joined but TZ-UK has moved itself painfully and not entirely happily upmarket.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th September 2019 at 14:10.

Master
    I have ahem... err... over 250 in my collection.
    WOW! That takes hoarding, I’m mean structured collecting, to Olympic heights 🙂

How on earth do you manage servicing? If you service each watch every 5 years, that’s 50 watches due for servicing per year 😮

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    How on earth do you manage servicing? If you service each watch every 5 years, that’s 50 watches due for servicing per year 
    Not all are mechanical (about half are quartz) and, as mentioned, quite a few will be out of the rotation at any one time waiting for work of some sort (which could indeed include servicing).

In practice, though, I only service when I think a watch actually needs it. I do not adhere to any strict schedule.

Thanks Mark will take a look .

Craftsman
    They'll sell easily enough for market prices for those items on eBay. Lots of buyers for that sort of stuff there.
    I agree. I have sold a few things already. There were 6 more in the box that have already been sold on without any difficulty.

I know I have too many dress watches. When I first started collecting that is all I was interested in. I also particularly liked brands that were no longer around. Now I have broadened my horizons somewhat.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Too many very similar watches there. I think you could get down to five: the Alpha Explorer, the Rado DateJust, the Seiko Pilot, one of the chronographs, and one of the dress watches.
    I have a slightly love hate relationship with the alpha. I like the look and size but the case finishing his soooooo bad. The "brushed" lugs look as if they have just machined the case and left it. The brushing on the bracelet is much better but means that the finishes don't match. I think I might have to swap it out for something else in due course.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I have a slightly love hate relationship with the alpha. I like the look and size but the case finishing his soooooo bad. The "brushed" lugs look as if they have just machined the case and left it. The brushing on the bracelet is much better but means that the finishes don't match. I think I might have to swap it out for something else in due course.

Have to admit, you’re right, those lugs look like they’ve been finished with file. It could be improved.