closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Little update on this; noticed during the first couple of weeks of ownership mine was gaining about +30 seconds per day timed against my atomic clock syncing G-Shock. Have re-tested it over the last 48 hours having worn it solidly and it’s now settled to about +7 per day. Still only 3 weeks out of the factory so may come in a bit more but I’m happy with +7 and very happy with the watch overall. Still trying to work out the best SS bracelet to get for it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd bite your hand off for +7

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think calling this an Alpinist is stretching things. Remove the compass, any reference to Alpinist and we are just getting further and further away. Same central dial, but so do the recent Tic Tac limited edition.

It is a nice looking watch and will be user friendly I'm sure, but it's now just a Prospex date watch.
    There were compass-less Alpinists before 1995, why couldn't there be any now?

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    There were compass-less Alpinists before 1995, why couldn't there be any now?
    Absolutely, but those were marketed as Alpinists and had the word Alpinist on the dial and every one since the Red Alpinists in the early 90s have had compasses.

We haven't seen their casebacks yet. ;-) I'd say the Alpinist DNA is there nevertheless and you'd have to try hard not to draw a connection.

We haven't seen their casebacks yet. ;-) I'd say the Alpinist DNA is there nevertheless and you'd have to try hard not to draw a connection.
    You might be right, but just look at this thread and on other Watch forums. A lot of collectors refuse to accept the new 2020 Alpinists as true Alpinists because of the Prospex logo and the absence of the logo on the case back. The marketing referring to them as 'Alpinist inspired' didn't help either.

Of course some collectors will buy them whatever.

Apparently, the 'red' Alpinists were Prospex Alpinists: https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...lectors-guide/

TBH, I didn't know that the 2020 editions lacked the Alpinist designation -- 'Alpinist inspired' in their case sounds crazy to me, but that's me. But it's interesting what Seiko's method to this madness is, if any.

As a side note, no compass = less chance for misalignments.

Apparently, the 'red' Alpinists were Prospex Alpinists:
    They were, as were the Quartz GMT models that followed in 2003 - but the word Prospex only appeared in marketing material in the days when the Internet was just a lad.

You can't beat a bit of Red Alpinist on the dial

I mean if you define the Sarb017 as an Alpinist, which we do, then I don’t see how you cannot define the 2020 version as one as I can verify having owned both that they are virtually identical. As I said earlier in this thread I think the 2020 model would look better with ‘Alpinist’ written on the dial instead of ‘Automatic’, but regardless of that the size, case, design and functionality are 1:1.

Agree with Ken though re the new ‘baby’ models - my first thought was they reminded me of those LE Tic Toc releases from (?) last year. One of the things I love about the Alpinist is it’s a proper sports-dress watch; rock solid spec but with enough shimmer about it to be dressed up. Those ‘baby’ models are all matte/satin/painted, 100% tool looking. Just watch semantics though I guess - doesn’t matter what you call it, if you like it you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Agree with Ken though re the new ‘baby’ models - my first thought was they reminded me of those LE Tic Toc releases from (?) last year. One of the things I love about the Alpinist is it’s a proper sports-dress watch; rock solid spec but with enough shimmer about it to be dressed up. Those ‘baby’ models are all matte/satin/painted, 100% tool looking. Just watch semantics though I guess - doesn’t matter what you call it, if you like it you like it.
    I agree -- they seem to be dropping the 'dress' vibe part in favour of 'military'(ish) one.

FWIW, they seem to belong in the Alpinist range according to Seiko: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/20...l#post51165051

Journeyman
    FWIW, they seem to belong in the Alpinist range according to Seiko: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/20...l#post51165051
    Very nice indeed.

We've got the prices for the compass-less Alpinist line:

Last edited by rodia77; 14th September 2020 at 12:30. Reason: fixed image link

We've got the prices for the compass-less Alpinist line:

[img]blob:https://imgur.com/a5dd6bc7-c856-44fb-8dfe-fc1510124998[/img]
    https://www.seikowatches.com/de-de/products/prospex
    Doesn’t appear to be loading on my screen but Sakura have them up for pre order at €567 (10% off).

Some in the flesh images halfway down the page here:
    https://klocksnack.se/threads/seiko-...bilder.133847/

The cheap crackle finish dials look better than the product images suggest. Love the white hands against the blue dial.

Fixed the image link, thanks.

They look great in those real life pics, doesn't make it easier to resist.

The Sakura discount is nice but since they ship from Japan pretty much irrelevant for EU/UK buyers, unfortunately -- the import fees will add up to match or exceed the RRP.

Craftsman
    Time and tide article up on these now, very tempted by these, curious to know if the hands match the numerals as they seem to look a little brighter in pics I've seen so far.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/intro...j-and-spb159j/

Banned
    I’ve always loved the alpinist line up, the classic green dial is my favourite ( old version)

Apprentice
    I get the red text thing - they would look better I think, but overall still great looking watches. I came to seiko late, so the prospect logo doesn’t bother me at all.

That’s four seikos this year that I'm tempted with... I might get strongly frowned at if I get them all

Quote Originally Posted by onemanintime View Post
    I get the red text thing - they would look better I think, but overall still great looking watches. I came to seiko late, so the prospect logo doesn’t bother me at all.

That’s four seikos this year that I'm tempted with... I might get strongly frowned at if I get them all
    Collecting them can get a bit addictive. I had these then decided to call it quits and sold the lot.

I never warmed to the 2020 versions and for the money I thought it better to buy the older versions, but it is understandable why someone wanting one or two would be happy to pay the current prices for a brand new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by minskii View Post
    curious to know if the hands match the numerals
    They don't, clearly seen at the real-life pics that Fender linked to earlier: https://klocksnack.se/threads/seiko-.../#post-3388199

I don't like that detail, but I haven't decided yet if it's a showstopper for me.

I’m struggling with the patina’d numerals. Really like everything else about these. I wouldn’t buy one new anyway but I’d like to hold out to see if a future edition has white printed numerals or applied ones like the older version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk