closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Anyone any idea whether these will be JDM only watches like the old Alpinist Sarb017 or international? Iím assuming because of the Prospex logo they will be widely available.

Also, has the case size been confirmed? The 38.5mm of the old Alpinist was so good.
    I doubt these will be JDM only, but like everything else nothing has been confirmed yet including the case size. Even if they were JDM they would be easy enough to obtain.

Master
    I’ve fancied a SARB017 for at least a couple of years now without actually parting with the cash for one. Dithered too many times when decent ones have appeared on SC. Spotted one on the Chronomaster website earlier this week. But £465 for one from 2015 was too rich for my liking.
    Didn’t expect to see what looked to be a good one when I was browsing on the Austin Kaye website this afternoon. Thought about it for a couple of minutes before deciding to buy. I paid £395 for a 2018 model. No charge for postage and a two year Austin Kaye guarantee.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 10th November 2019 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’ve fancied a SARB017 for at least a couple of years now without actually parting with the cash for one. Dithered too many times when decent ones have appeared on SC. Spotted one on the Chronomaster website earlier this week. But £465 for one from 2015 was too rich for my liking.
    Didn’t expect to see what looked to be a good one when I was browsing on the Austin Kaye website this afternoon. Thought about it for a couple of minutes before deciding to buy. I paid £395 for a 2017 model. No charge for postage and a two year Austin Kaye guarantee.
    Excellent choice. I bought one of the ones from SC but the crystal had been swopped for a Yobokies Double Dome Blue AR which was bloody aweful. From every angle all you got was a Blue glare, hated it. Also there was a big scratch on the bezel which annoyed me, so I sold the watch on e-bay for what I paid for it. I ordered a brand new watch from a Japanese dealer, paying slightly more than you, but it is a December 2018 and mint, so very happy with it.

I have a Strapcode 3D Oyster bracelet for it, but have always liked the original look of the Brown strap that comes with the Watch, although the quality is beyond a joke. However, you can buy an identical Hirsch Leather Duke strap for £30, so I have ordered one of those and the crappy plastic Seiko straps can stay in the box unused.

Master
    Hi Ken. I should have addd that your fascination with the Alpinist range had also piqued my interest in the model. Iím pleased to finally have one to look forward to. Iíll probably wear it on a Nato strap.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    However, you can buy an identical Hirsch Leather Duke strap for £30, so I have ordered one of those and the crappy plastic Seiko straps can stay in the box unused.
    Yes to this. The original strap is pretty awful to say the least. I have read before that apparently it softens up with wear but why bother when as you say a good Hirsch is available. I do find the Seiko buckles, both tang and deployant to be very good at the price, and especially so compared to the straps themselves.

I sourced one of the originals from a forum member (Menno) on behalf of a friend and tbh I hadn't been interested in owning one of them - until I saw it in the flesh, they really are a beautifully proportioned watch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I love my SARB017,of my mechanical watches it’s the one I wear the most,followed by the SPB089 Blue Alpinist.Both watches punch well above their weight and the SARB017 in particular is a bargain.I agree about the supplied strap though-it’s rubbish.Ive replaced mine with Barton Silicone Strap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by marselluswallace; 9th November 2019 at 21:57.

Apprentice
    Not a big fan of the new ones. The cream dial is the best of the three. But could really do without the cyclops and the prospex logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Not a big fan of the new ones. The cream dial is the best of the three. But could really do without the cyclops and the prospex logo.
    Just like the SARB013 or Unicorn as it's known for very good reason.

It could have been so easy: Make the dial like the 4S15 versions with the lovely red Alpinist font, lose the cyclops - done.
    That would've been an absolute corker and a classy look.

Sorry to hear:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Sorry to hear:-)
    Unlike you to troll a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Unlike you to troll a thread.
    lol, just kidding. I actually like the black one on bracelet. Never cared much for the green one though.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    lol, just kidding. I actually like the black one on bracelet. Never cared much for the green one though.
    The 'Red' Green Alpinist is the nicer out of the two.

The new Black looks the best of the three, but again, not as nice as the earlier Red version.