closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

On this subject, has anyone read anything to suggest the existing Strapcode bracelets for the Sarb017 would fit the new models? There’s a guy on IG who suggested they do and posted a photo, but I skimmed past it at the time and can’t find it now. They look like the same case.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    On this subject, has anyone read anything to suggest the existing Strapcode bracelets for the Sarb017 would fit the new models? There’s a guy on IG who suggested they do and posted a photo, but I skimmed past it at the time and can’t find it now. They look like the same case.
    Same lug size as well, so logically should be good. I think I've seen a few images of people who have put their Strapcode on their new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Same lug size as well, so logically should be good. I think I've seen a few images of people who have put their Strapcode on their new watch.
    Yeah, I like them on an oyster bracelet which is what I’d want to do with the ivory dial one (if it ever turns up!) but didn’t want to order from Strapcode if it wasn’t gonna fit. Although, you can order (and return) Strapcode via Amazon global store now which makes it a bit easier.

Saw them at an AD today,

After two weeks wait mine arrived this morning, had it on all day. Got the cream dial, very much an ivory sort of colour.

First observations: case seems identical to the Sarb017, which is a good thing IMO, sits very nicely on the wrist with those nicely curved lugs. I’m liking the cyclops, the magnification is very strong and it doesn’t look out of place as a feature on the watch. Crown action is great, the compass bezel feels a lot firmer than my old 017, which moved around quite easily. Strap is ok, a bit stiff and probably not good enough quality for a watch at this price point (although I won’t be keeping it on this strap anyway). The deployant clasp however is very nicely designed. Lume is typical excellent Seiko quality.

I knew this colour way was for me as soon as I saw the pics, and definitely know I’ve made the right choice. I loved the design of the 017, but couldn’t stick with the green/gold. I much prefer the aesthetic of the Arabic’s/indices over the shark tooth look of the black dial, and I was already looking for a white/light dial watch to pair with my Tudor BB41.

Here are some pics, my wrist is about 6.5” and flat for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a stunning looking Alpinist , very nice choice .

After two weeks wait mine arrived this morning, had it on all day. Got the cream dial, very much an ivory sort of colour
    Well done David on being the first on here to buy one of these new releases. It looks great and I agree the dial colour with silver furniture is probably the nicest out of the four and a combination not done before as both the Cream 'Red' Alpinist and the SARB013 both had Gold furniture.

I have seen some pics of this Watch on the Strapcode bracelet and it looks stunning.

It is also interesting if these releases will make the previous generations more or less desirable. I think the die hard collectors will keep hold of their watches, but some will use this as an opportunity to upgrade on the cheap. Just this week I was offered a second SARB013 from an old WTB on WUS which I have passed on to a collector in Australia who has been hunting for one.

What we need now is for several people to buy these new watches, then hopefully some might make their way to SC

@davidj54 congrats on the forum's first and thanks for sharing your first impressions! What strap are you planning for it?

Well done David on being the first on here to buy one of these new releases. It looks great and I agree the dial colour with silver furniture is probably the nicest out of the four and a combination not done before as both the Cream 'Red' Alpinist and the SARB013 both had Gold furniture.

I have seen some pics of this Watch on the Strapcode bracelet and it looks stunning.

Cheers mate👍

I’ve had a tracksuit top on all day and the watch looks really good with it - yet you can see it would look just as good with a smart suit. Definitely got that classic sports-dress watch feel going on. Am gonna be ordering the Strapcode oyster for it, and a better quality black leather with cream stitch. Really good to have an Alpinist back in the collection, I had a bit of sellers remorse when the 017 left but for me this is a superior version simply because the colourway is so much better. If I could change one thing I’d replace the word ‘Automatic’ on the dial with the word ‘Alpinist’.

Cheers mate

I’ve had a tracksuit top on all day and the watch looks really good with it - yet you can see it would look just as good with a smart suit. Definitely got that classic sports-dress watch feel going on. Am gonna be ordering the Strapcode oyster for it, and a better quality black leather with cream stitch. Really good to have an Alpinist back in the collection, I had a bit of sellers remorse when the 017 left but for me this is a superior version simply because the colourway is so much better. If I could change one thing I’d replace the word ‘Automatic’ on the dial with the word ‘Alpinist’.
    Congrats! I reckon it'll look good on a bracelet. Do Seiko do other straps that are compatible with the deployant clasp? Seems a shame if the quality is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    @davidj54 congrats on the forum's first and thanks for sharing your first impressions! What strap are you planning for it?
    A good quality supple black leather with cream stitch I think would look really good. That, and a Strapcode oyster as for me an oyster is the quintessential bracelet for a sports-dress watch like this. Those two items will add an extra 100 quid onto the cost of it! 😩

Journeyman
    I wish they had the black face with the Arabic. The Ivory does look great though. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Congrats! I reckon it'll look good on a bracelet. Do Seiko do other straps that are compatible with the deployant clasp? Seems a shame if the quality is that good.
    Ive no idea, Seiko aren’t exactly renowned for the quality of their straps and bracelets though. If necessary you could probably source a strap that was designed for a deployant and attach it to that. To be honest the strap isn’t awful and it’ll be better when broken in - it’s way above the dogs dinner of a strap that came with the 017, it’s just arguably not up to much for a £600 watch when you look at what you’d get with say a Hamilton for less money. It’s also quite a slim, dress watch style strap - I prefer something a bit chunkier. It’s possible there will be people that buy other versions of the watch that would like the Seiko strap and deployant as an alternative, so if I find I don’t use it I may stick it on eBay and try to claw back a bit of my outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    I wish they had the black face with the Arabic. The Ivory does look great though. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    For some reason they have never done a Black dial Alpinist with numbers, even the Quartz GMT didn't have them. Would have been a nice change.

I prefer something a bit chunkier. It’s possible there will be people that buy other versions of the watch that would like the Seiko strap and deployant as an alternative, so if I find I don’t use it I may stick it on eBay and try to claw back a bit of my outlay.
    If you decide to move the strap and deployant on, let me know

If you decide to move the strap and deployant on, let me know
    I will👍

Parked it on a black Zulu while awaiting a strap delivery. The black strap & ivory dial are a great combo, and the proportions of this watch are superb - the dial size, lug to lug, it hits all the sweet spots. I’m so glad they brought these out.

Cheers mate

David that looks utterly fabulous many congratulations and wear it in the very best of health I love the cream dial.

It is a nice watch with a black dial and a good non-Seiko oyster bracelet.
    It cannot hold a candle to SLA017.
    To me that white/cream dial on black nato looks meh. May be an oyster bracelet will elevate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is a nice watch with a black dial and a good non-Seiko oyster bracelet.
    It cannot hold a candle to SLA017.
    To me that white/cream dial on black nato looks meh. May be an oyster bracelet will elevate it.
    Horses for courses and all that.

That pic actually makes the dial look quite white - must’ve been the light. It’s a definite ivory colour. It looks ok on the nato, not something I’d keep it on - it’s just a stop gap while I wait for something else. In fact it’s a 22mm strap which is 2mm too big. This pic taken just now is more a more accurate one of the watches colour to the eye.

Much better pic. Looks definitely more appealing there, I agree.
    An oyster would be even better,IMO.

That’s the plan, Strapcode 3D oyster 👍

Would agree. Here's a Strapcode on my SARB013

Would agree. Here's a Strapcode on my SARB013

Looks fantastic. Is that one of the ones you let go?

Looks fantastic. Is that one of the ones you let go?
    No, still got that. A bit of a grail watch - not easy to find.

Just seen on Hodinkee they're offering the new Alpinist - https://shop.hodinkee.com/blogs/jour...aign=hod-posts

The main interesting point - confirmation that the gold furniture model is available direct from Seiko (or Hodinkee shop). I think it's the best version.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Just seen on Hodinkee they're offering the new Alpinist - https://shop.hodinkee.com/blogs/jour...aign=hod-posts

The main interesting point - confirmation that the gold furniture model is available direct from Seiko (or Hodinkee shop). I think it's the best version.
    First things first, they started in 1961 and not 1959 - come on Hodinkee, get it right.

The champagne and gold was billed as an e-commerce model only. The Seiko boutique in London will be getting some in February and you should be able to buy from the store or order on line. Usual Seiko outlets won't have this Watch.

Studying the four releases against previous releases I think the Cream with the silver fittings is the nicest of the current release. The gold version is very similar to the SARB013 and the Red Alpinist and the Black dial does look a little flat due to the missing spiders web that was on the Red. The Green is nice, but I think the SARB017 ran for too long and is still available new, so it is hard to get excited about that one. Go on FB and every other post is someone's 017.

All person opinions of course.

The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

Available on HODINKEE

First things first, they started in 1961 and not 1959 - come on Hodinkee, get it right.

The champagne and gold was billed as an e-commerce model only. The Seiko boutique in London will be getting some in February and you should be able to buy from the store or order on line. Usual Seiko outlets won't have this Watch.

Studying the four releases against previous releases I think the Cream with the silver fittings is the nicest of the current release. The gold version is very similar to the SARB013 and the Red Alpinist and the Black dial does look a little flat due to the missing spiders web that was on the Red. The Green is nice, but I think the SARB017 ran for too long and is still available new, so it is hard to get excited about that one. Go on FB and every other post is someone's 017.

All person opinions of course.
    I think you’re right about the 017, you can still get them new for about £400 and although it’s good they’ve retained that colourway in this line up, I can’t see it being a big seller as there is close to no difference between the Prospex and Sarb versions but the Sarb is still considerably cheaper.

I wonder why the 017 remained so widely available but the 013 and 015 are now as rare as hens teeth.

I think you’re right about the 017, you can still get them new for about £400 and although it’s good they’ve retained that colourway in this line up, I can’t see it being a big seller as there is close to no difference between the Prospex and Sarb versions but the Sarb is still considerably cheaper.

I wonder why the 017 remained so widely available but the 013 and 015 are now as rare as hens teeth.
    The one you bought David is fresh to the market, they haven't done Cream and Silver before so that makes it interesting. The three SARBs are a bit strange. When you read up on them they suggest the Black with the Sharks tooth dial is the rarest as it was only made for a short time, but the Cream 013 is easily the most desirable. Difficult to understand why it was dropped so quickly when the Green ran for nearly 13 years.

Bizarrely, in the earlier Red Alpinist generation it is the Green that is the grail out of the three. The Cream and Black are fairly easy to find, but the Green is a difficult beast.

All good stuff.

Here are some pics, my wrist is about 6.5” and flat for reference.
    Thanks for posting these images David. The white (cream!) with silver is really appealing to me and I’m almost at the point where I might order without seeing one in the flesh. Almost but not quite...

I’m conscious that the only other cream dial I have is on a watch I barely wear, despite being massively keen to buy in the weeks and months prior to it’s official launch. So I’ll sit tight for a little longer but really appreciate you taking the time to post the photos and write up some initial impressions.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Thanks for posting these images David. The white (cream!) with silver is really appealing to me and I’m almost at the point where I might order without seeing one in the flesh. Almost but not quite...

I’m conscious that the only other cream dial I have is on a watch I barely wear, despite being massively keen to buy in the weeks and months prior to it’s official launch. So I’ll sit tight for a little longer but really appreciate you taking the time to post the photos and write up some initial impressions.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No problem, I enjoyed doing it. Hasn’t left my wrist since it arrived. If you’ve owned or handled the old Sarb017 then you’ll know exactly what you’re getting with this watch - the case is identical. The new one has the 70hr power reserve movement in, but the only cosmetic tweaks are slight change in dial text, addition of cyclops and an exhibition caseback. The 017 and this are very much brothers rather than distant cousins. Just a question of picking a colourway - this cream and silver puts this a level above the 017 for me, much nicer to look at and more versatile, but that’s totally subjective.

Last update on this one for a while, I’ll pick up a Strapcode oyster soon enough but for now a black leather with cream stitch

Do they have the fat 2.5mm spring bars? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Do they have the fat 2.5mm spring bars? Thanks.
    No, just regular ones.

No, just regular ones.
    Thanks. 1.5 or 1.8mm?

Thanks. 1.5 or 1.8mm?
    I haven’t scrutinised them in that much detail I’m afraid mate!

Thanks. 1.5 or 1.8mm?
    With no means to measure them accurately other than putting them on a ruler and guessing, I would suggest nearer to 1.8mm. This is based on the fact that I have previously bought 1.5mm bars for an Orient Mako and they are as skinny as hell. The Alpinist bars are as David said, normal.

Never had an issue with straps or indeed Seiko OEM or Strapcode bracelets.

Thanks for info!

Looks like the new Alpinist is no stranger to Seiko's notorious alignment issues.

(Around 7:10, if you don't want to watch the whole vid).

Gotta buy in person or risk a defective product.

Just been looking at these quiet fancy one.

Little update on this; noticed during the first couple of weeks of ownership mine was gaining about +30 seconds per day timed against my atomic clock syncing G-Shock. Have re-tested it over the last 48 hours having worn it solidly and it’s now settled to about +7 per day. Still only 3 weeks out of the factory so may come in a bit more but I’m happy with +7 and very happy with the watch overall. Still trying to work out the best SS bracelet to get for it though.

Craftsman
    Anyone have the black one yet?

And how is the compass crown action? Too loose still?

And how is the compass crown action? Too loose still?
    No, not on mine at least. Much more solid than on my old 017.

No, not on mine at least. Much more solid than on my old 017.
    Oh good to know. Thanks!

Heard that certain Parnis bracelets are a good fit for the Alpinist - coincidentally knew someone that was moving a Parnis Gauss on so took a chance and, have to say it’s a pretty good fit indeed. Bracelet is good too - brushed, screwed links, solid end links, not chunky like I’ve read the Strapcode is. The clasp is a bit oversized though, for me at least. I’ll be swapping that out in due course.

Anybody seen anything about this - ‘baby’ Alpinist release in the pipeline?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9WueisH...d=wb6ofapfgb0b

Whaaa... ain't it neat!

Anybody seen anything about this - ‘baby’ Alpinist release in the pipeline?
    I think calling this an Alpinist is stretching things. Remove the compass, any reference to Alpinist and we are just getting further and further away. Same central dial, but so do the recent Tic Tac limited edition.

It is a nice looking watch and will be user friendly I'm sure, but it's now just a Prospex date watch.

For anybody interested, the London Seiko Boutique have now got the new Champagne dial with gold fittings in stock - the Seiko e-commerce only model 👍