closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

I’m still keen on the white with silver but the latest photos can’t possibly portray any of the dials in a very good light. I know the green is always hard to capture effectively (I’ve tried several times without much success) but all of them look pretty lacklustre to my eyes.

Definitely a watch that needs to be seen in the metal before I can be sure about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked the idea of the black version but looking at the pics the dial looks to be a kind of cheap looking, dull matte finish.

Of the three the white looks best - in pics at least.

Looking at the green side by side with the Sarb017, there are things I like about both. I was originally against it having the X on the dial. But I’d forgotten the 017 (which I used to own) had the ‘DiaShock 23 Jewels’ text. I think the new model has better, less busy text. I’m not a fan of any watch stating the amount of jewels on a dial - think it looks cheap. Seiko do that with the ‘J’ models of the SKX and Seiko 5’s, which makes IMO the cleaner looking ‘K’ models better. I don’t mind the cyclops (provided it turns out to have good magnification rather than being pointless decor), but I think the negative date of the 017 is better than the white wheel with black text on the new model. The real difference appears to be the the green; the Sarb has that beautiful sunburst whereas the new model looks a tad flat. Might just be the picture.

I’m glad they having beefed up the case size as well. The Sarb Alpinist was a great size with beautifully curved lugs; it sat on the wrist so well. Would have preferred a steel case back with the Alpinist logo engraved over a display back.

Some changes seem to be for the better, some not so much. To the average Joe who couldn’t give a monkeys about some obscure Seiko watch they would look identical.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I'm with you on the "X".
    I can't decide if the white date disc enhanced by the cyclops breaks the style or adds character, I'm leaning towards the former.
    Ugh. I hadn't even noticed that. On the black dialed version, it should be a black date disk with white writing. As it is, it looks awful. The white wheel looks OK on the white dialed version.

The black dialed version has now been officially rejected due to aesthetic inadequacy. In fact, I'll go so far as to state that the white / silver version is the only option that is NOT an aesthetic train-wreck.
    Last edited by BigBluefish; 6th January 2020 at 21:36.

UK list price seems to be £650 each. Logically no one will pay that with on-line discounts etc and shops forever having sales. I don't think I can justify the Green or the Black, unless I see a good condition second hand one once they are out. The champagne dial with gold fittings is still of interest, but still to hear what Seiko e-commerce model actually means. I think a LE or restricted production would push sales, so it might be in their interests to do that.

I think the 11th Jan is release date.

I've got a previous model Alpinist and looking at these photos, I can't help think it's the old one wearing really thick glasses!

I'm glad I've got the older model!

M

What is UK RRP do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    What is UK RRP do you know?
    As per 2 posts above - £650.00

Oh sorry.

Oh sorry.
    No problems, but realistically no one will pay that. Nearly every on-line store has 10% discounts just for signing up for e-mails and then add the numerous sales etc and I'm sure some early purchases will get flipped, so there might be bargains to be had. I recon around £550 each would be a target price.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    No problems, but realistically no one will pay that. Nearly every on-line store has 10% discounts just for signing up for e-mails and then add the numerous sales etc and I'm sure some early purchases will get flipped, so there might be bargains to be had. I recon around £550 each would be a target price.
    This is exactly what I was offered :)

There are real-life photos of the white+silver one posted on WUS, eg here. Looks legible enough for me, but that cyclops is really unnecessary.

Fratello have a nice hands on with three of the new Alpinist (the gold on white is still MIA) - https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...pinist-models/

The interesting note - the bracelet seems a really good upgrade. The green dial doesn't look as bad looking as in other pictures and I have to agree with the author, the black comes across as the strongest style.

Some in the UK to actually buy. There is a 10% discount deal, so basically £585 each.

https://www.hillierjewellers.co.uk/seiko-m3

Craftsman
    Some actual pics of the new releases:

I'm still not sure, the dials do look a little dull, especially the Black version. Maybe it's best to wait until they appear in the shops and you can see them in the flesh.

Also still waiting to hear what "Seiko e-commerce model" means for the Champagne/Cream watch with the gold fittings. I'm still assuming it's order direct from Seiko, but I would like to know if its a limited production as I cannot see the point of selling this way otherwise.

The cyclops and new text (lack of diashock and inclusion of the x /px logo) really detract.
    Cyclops looks way too big and makes the face of the watch look too small for the case.

The display back is Ok, but the movement is nothing special to behold and seeing as it adds a whole 1mm its defo not worth it. The watch was this enough as it was, acceptable but another mm pushes it too far, so I think I rather the original steel case back.

Overall, I think the changes make it slightly less attractive, but they are not drastic enough to destroy the feel of the watch. I'd still prefer the older styling.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 14th January 2020 at 21:05.

New movement is still Diashock no?

Black looks pretty good here

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Black looks pretty good here
    It does, but they have given it a very matt finish Black dial and removed the spiders web effect that appeared on the Red Alpinist. I think I prefer the earlier model out of the two, but I do appreciate that a lot of newer buyers won't be familiar with models from 25 years ago, so will just accept it as is - which is great. It's only us watch nerds who like to make comparisions.

I prefer this to the sunburst dial.

Craftsman
    New movement is still Diashock no?
    it is, but the text is no longer on the dial

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    it is, but the text is no longer on the dial
    Thats right.

Craftsman
    Still tempted by the black. What's the accuracy of the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Still tempted by the black. What's the accuracy of the movement?
    The SARB017 was +25/-15 secs a day. This model does have an upgraded movement so maybe a little better.

https://www.hillierjewellers.co.uk/m...pb117j1-p13919

I haven't seen specific accuracy details for the new releases.

I'm just not sold on the cyclops - never been a fan of the things. It needs to be seen. I still think the blue from the last gen is my favourite out of all the Alpinist.

Found this from the watchuseek forum - a video of the gold indices/champagne dial. I think it looks better than the silver indiced version. Sadly in Japanese, but first I've seen live decent angles of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Found this from the watchuseek forum - a video of the gold indices/champagne dial. I think it looks better than the silver indiced version. Sadly in Japanese, but first I've seen live decent angles of the watch.
    Interesting to see one in the flesh so to speak. I phoned the Seiko Boutique in London last week and they were unaware of this model. They had the other three in stock though. They rang me back to say that they had checked and that it would be a buy from Seiko direct model and that they would be getting stock during February. They didn't know if it was a LE etc at this point.

They took my details and promised to get back to me when they arrive. I suppose in Rolex terms that means I'm on the list 😂

Interesting to see one in the flesh so to speak. I phoned the Seiko Boutique in London last week and they were unaware of this model. They had the other three in stock though. They rang me back to say that they had checked and that it would be a buy from Seiko direct model and that they would be getting stock during February. They didn't know if it was a LE etc at this point.

They took my details and promised to get back to me when they arrive. I suppose in Rolex terms that means I'm on the list 
    My comment in another thread about Seiko 'lists' soon appearing doesn't seem so far fetched now.....

My comment in another thread about Seiko 'lists' soon appearing doesn't seem so far fetched now.....
    You are probably right, it's the way of the world these days. I haven't made a decision on the Seiko e-commerce release, whatever the hell that means. If it is extremely limited I might be tempted, but otherwise it can wait. I just want to be tipped off when it arrives so that I have a choice.

The other three should be available for several years, so best to wait until the initial panic dies down and dealers are offering them in sales etc.

It's a good-looking watch, all in all. Appears more vivid than the white/silver one, but I still think gilt is not for me (the reason why I haven't got SARB017 for all these years in the first place). I'm swinging back and forth about the cyclops, looks quite acceptable in this vid.

The black one, in turn, seems boring with its flat indices, I think they beg for some facetting.

I have to say that I’m a convert to the original. I’ve been after a smaller watch with a green dial and it’s perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cyclops is the only thing missing from my Alpinist that would make it perfect for me. Being an old bugger!

Looking at the video the watch is too thick for its diameter now - like the SBCM023.

Craftsman
    I like it but at £650 its just too much for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    I like it but at £650 its just too much for what it is.
    Most online sellers offer 10% discounts for registering for e-mails and there will be sales on these eventually. I would suggest £550 is a more realistic price to pay.

Can’t see that this has been posted earlier in the thread but a guy in Oz has got his hands on one and done a 5 likes 5 dislikes vid:

https://youtu.be/PS2pepKqMhU

Also, I believe one poster has an interest in the older Alpinists? I saw this on eBay, not a version I’ve seen before but I’m no expert. Might be of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Can’t see that this has been posted earlier in the thread but a guy in Oz has got his hands on one and done a 5 likes 5 dislikes vid:
    An interesting video and his dislikes were pretty trivial, the strap was stiff for a few days 😂

I like it. I have also found an image of the case back of the elusive Champagne dial with gold fittings.

It clearly isn't a numbered limited edition, but is still detailed as a Seiko e-commerce only model, so still waiting for official release details from Seiko. Details of numbers and any reason as to why it is a restricted release would be helpful.

Also, I believe one poster has an interest in the older Alpinists? I saw this on eBay, not a version I’ve seen before but I’m no expert. Might be of interest.
    There were three watches released in 2009, the SARB059, 061 and the 063 which was a limited edition of 500 watches.

The one above is the 059 and is a lovely watch with an emerald Green dial that looks almost black in most shots. I have had the 059 and the 063 and sold both. They are 42mm watches and quite big with it. Ideal for anyone who finds the other Alpinists a little small.

That 059 on e-bay has been there for ages because it is overpriced. I would suggest the £550 to £650 range to be correct for that watch. It is nice and I contacted the buyer a while back, but he is prepared to wait forever for a sale. Someone will buy it one day.

There were three watches released in 2009, the SARB059, 061 and the 063 which was a limited edition of 500 watches.

The one above is the 059 and is a lovely watch with an emerald Green dial that looks almost black in most shots. I have had the 059 and the 063 and sold both. They are 42mm watches and quite big with it. Ideal for anyone who finds the other Alpinists a little small.

That 059 on e-bay has been there for ages because it is overpriced. I would suggest the £550 to £650 range to be correct for that watch. It is nice and I contacted the buyer a while back, but he is prepared to wait forever for a sale. Someone will buy it one day.
    Cheers for the info. Not a watch that takes my fancy at all burn thought I’d at least give a heads up.

Have definitely got my eye on the new white Alpinist though. Had a Sarb017 which I flipped as I liked everything about the watch but after owning it a while found I wasn’t getting on with the green/gold. I remember saying to a pal that if only they made one with a black or white dial it’d be perfect. Prayers answered. Just need them to land in the U.K. now - been keeping an eye on places like Jura and other ProSpex stockists.

Cheers for the info. Not a watch that takes my fancy at all burn thought I’d at least give a heads up.

Have definitely got my eye on the new white Alpinist though. Had a Sarb017 which I flipped as I liked everything about the watch but after owning it a while found I wasn’t getting on with the green/gold. I remember saying to a pal that if only they made one with a black or white dial it’d be perfect. Prayers answered. Just need them to land in the U.K. now - been keeping an eye on places like Jura and other ProSpex stockists.
    Try these:

£650 each, but 10% discount available and no Customs/VAT.

He gets them in and they sell pretty quickly, but if you keep an eye on the site or register you will get one.

Try these:

£650 each, but 10% discount available and no Customs/VAT.

He gets them in and they sell pretty quickly, but if you keep an eye on the site or register you will get one.
    Cheers👍

White dial version ordered, will give an update and pics, first impressions etc when it arrives.

White dial version ordered, will give an update and pics, first impressions etc when it arrives.
    Excellent, well done and look forward to seeing what you think to it.

Don't forget, the strap will be stiff for the first few days 😂

Excellent, well done and look forward to seeing what you think to it.

Don't forget, the strap will be stiff for the first few days 😂
    Already earmarked it in my negatives column😉

Journeyman
    They rly messed up The legend

Craftsman
    Anyone have the black yet? What's the accuracy of these movements like?

Saw this pic on FB.

Anyone bought one of the new ones yet?

I ordered mine (white dial) from Jura on Jan 25th, still no sign of it. Chased them today, apparently they had to order it directly from Seiko in Japan as it’s so new they’re not holding stock yet (even though their website says ‘in stock’). They are expecting it with them by the end of the week, and will get it to me the next day. I don’t mind waiting for an item if what they say is true, but their communication is rubbish. No email updates, you have to keep chasing them.

Anyway, once I get it I’ll stick some pics up then offer up my observations after a few days on wrist. My guess is it’s gonna be very similar to the Sarb017, just with a different colour way. Which is fine by me, I loved everything about my 017 except the gold & green. Watch this space.

That is dreadful. I really don't know what's going on with these. The Seiko main site doesn't even mention them, I would have thought they would feature as a new release.

There seem to be plenty in the Far East. Loads of people on the FB Group have theirs. The London boutique promised to contact me when the e-commerce model arrived, but nothing yet and certainly nothing on the website.

Basically most of the info is second hand from punters on FB groups and watchuseek etc.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 5th February 2020 at 20:35.

That is dreadful. I really don't know what's going on with these. The Seiko main site doesn't even mention them, I would have thought they would feature as a new release.

There seem to be plenty in the Far East. Loads of people on the FB Group have theirs. The London boutique promised to contact me when the e-commerce model arrived, but nothing yet and certainly nothing on the website.

Basically most of the info is second hand from punters on FB groups and watchuseek etc.
    You’re not fooling anyone so just own up - you’ve bought them all haven’t you? 😂

The e-commerce model is the one I’d want too, but I’m not sure I can be bothered to jump through Rolex hoops for a Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    You’re not fooling anyone so just own up - you’ve bought them all haven’t you? 

The e-commerce model is the one I’d want too, but I’m not sure I can be bothered to jump through Rolex hoops for a Seiko.
    Hand on heart, I haven't got any of these 2020 releases (yet ). Hilliers in the UK have the normal three in stock at present if anyone wants to buy any of those. £650 each less 10% discount.

When I spoke to the London boutique they didn't know much about the e-commerce model and went away and checked and rang me back. They are expecting delivery sometime in Feb and promised to contact me once they have them. They weren't sure about how limited this one was or indeed how many they would be getting in.

I will post on here as soon as (or if) they contact me. The Australian boutique (Starbuy) has them in stock, but you will get a 20% VAT bill if you buy one of theirs.

I don't think this in intentional Rolex hoops, just very poor communication from Seiko. Their websites have not been updated and their staff don't really have a clue what's going on. Compare that to Omega releases, the site is prepared and everyone gets bombarded with e-mails.