closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

Hybrid View

The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

The Seiko Alpinist will make a comeback in Jan 2020.(sorry no images)

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/new...ck-in-jan-2020

The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

Excellent! Black dial with red Alpinist would be great.
    Last edited by Toshk; 6th September 2019 at 14:14.

Is the RRP indicative of what it will actually cost most places?

Seems quite expensive for modest changes.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Is the RRP indicative of what it will actually cost most places?

Seems quite expensive for modest changes.

M
    Welcome to Seiko’s bid to move into the mid/luxury market! Actually £600 isn’t that bad when you compare to Kickstarter pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

More than twice what I paid for mine a couple of years ago...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

No, ahem, blue dial? :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    No, ahem, blue dial? :D
    If they eventually do a blue dial one then they'll inevitably pull it from sale after about a week. ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    More than twice what I paid for mine a couple of years ago...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    This is a the problem with seiko new pricing strategy. One always felt they were getting value for money from seiko, particularly with something like the alpinist. It was defo a watch worth way more than the asking.
    Now though that value is gone. To be fair the watch is probably worth the new asking. Any other company producing a watch of that detail and finish with 70hr reserve would ask a min of 600 quid. We are used to getting more for our money from seiko though and thats the pill that many seiko fans find difficult to swallow.

It happens with a lot of companies, I remember with a sinn 556 was less than 700 quid. Now it's over 1k and the reason I don't have one, the value isn't there.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 7th September 2019 at 09:50.

Sorry to hear:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Sorry to hear:-)
    Unlike you to troll a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Unlike you to troll a thread.
    lol, just kidding. I actually like the black one on bracelet. Never cared much for the green one though.

I love mine but not sure I’d spend that much on a new one. Looking forward to the pics when they release some though, especially the black dial version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the pictures - the white dial would be nice. I had my name down for the blue-dialled Hodinkee model, but it sold out the second time and they didn't even need to inform those on the waiting list.

Can't wait to see these, a little expensive? Maybe, but at £250 new when I bought my 017 seven years ago that was almost ridiculously cheap. Not that I was complaining of course!

7 years ago £ used to buy you ¥200

Released in January

Craftsman
    Think I might pick up a black one

Has anymore information been released about these yet? Will they be the same 38mm case size as the original?

This picture appeared on FB and caused a bit of a storm with the usual suspects crying fake etc without any evidence to support their claim. Apologies for the poor quality of the image, but I'm inclined to think it is a genuine watch rather than a photoshop of SARB017 with the new details on it. On the plus side, if it is a photoshop including the new text, cyclops, White backed date wheel etc it gives us a fairly good idea of what it looks like on the wrist.

I posted a pic of the previous two generations in the previous post so not sure where this new one fits in. From the collecting perspective a single line of Red text always gets collectors excited 😂

Looking forward to seeing the images when they come out, especially the White. The old SARB013 is nicknamed the Unicorn with good reason, almost impossible to find one. I've tried WTBs everywhere and not a sniff.

It would be nice if there was a limited edition set of the three together, like Omega did the other year 👍

Turning into a one man thread, but just in case anyone else is interested, shopping in Japan are now taking pre-orders for the new 41mm (that's big!!!) Alpinist. Released in 4 colours, 2 whites, 1 with Gold furniture, 1 with silver or chrome etc.

And some tech spec for those who like the detail:

Black looks pretty good here

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Black looks pretty good here
    It does, but they have given it a very matt finish Black dial and removed the spiders web effect that appeared on the Red Alpinist. I think I prefer the earlier model out of the two, but I do appreciate that a lot of newer buyers won't be familiar with models from 25 years ago, so will just accept it as is - which is great. It's only us watch nerds who like to make comparisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Looks like I’m going to be buying the Blue dial at a premium then...

Was hoping the new release would be improved, absolutely hate the look of that cyclops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    That is a sad and ugly thing. "X" on the dial. Cyclops. WHITE date wheel. And Monster-esque hour markers. Why, Seiko? Why?

I like the new black one a lot. Think this will be on my radar to buy. Not fussed on the cyclopse but for me it's not a deal breaker.

That’s like a cross between the old SARB015 but with 017 hands - and no, we don’t want the ‘X’

Is that a bloody cyclops I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That’s like a cross between the old SARB015 but with 017 hands - and no, we don’t want the ‘X’

Is that a bloody cyclops I see.
    I think it is.....if you want an alpinist, go scramble and find the old one before everyone figures out the new one looks horrendous

New one is also slightly bigger :(

How much bigger?

I am starting to think I should have held onto my green dial original...

Craftsman
    Too early to say anything definitive yet, but I'm not excited by that "X" logo... Can anyone see what the red text on the dial below the "Automatic" says?

Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    Too early to say anything definitive yet, but I'm not excited by that "X" logo... Can anyone see what the red text on the dial below the "Automatic" says?
    Alpinist hopefully...

Just took this, comes out roughly at 38.5mm inc the crown guards, which I think is about right. Therefore I'm guessing that 41mm on the new model includes the crown guards.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Much better pics courtesy of Hodinkee
    Interesting article, thanks for posting and yes, the images are much clearer. Seems odd that they suggest only three watches when shopping in Japan are taking orders for four. Price is in the mid $700s so slightly less than £600 here and with the usual discounts for signing up for e-mails etc probably around the £550 mark is a useful working figure.

Also interesting that they referred to it as an Alpinist inspired Prospex rather than an out and out Alpinist, but I suppose Seiko have to slot it in somewhere amongst their different model ranges.

I don't think this range will inspire panick buying, so hopefully over time some shops may even offer a sale price or we may even see a few being flipped on SC. I'm certainly interested, but have other fish to fry first.

Think 39.5. Not sure if the 72hr movement will add to case thickness as well.

Think 39.5.
    Where did you get this info from?

Hmmm, definitely don’t like the X logo. Or the cyclops, and they’ve got rid of the Arabic’s too (old Alpinist had 2,4,6,8,10,12) for is a shame as for me a field watch should have at least some numbered markers. No doubt these will sell like hot cakes though.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Hmmm, definitely don’t like the X logo. Or the cyclops, and they’ve got rid of the Arabic’s too (old Alpinist had 2,4,6,8,10,12) for is a shame as for me a field watch should have at least some numbered markers. No doubt these will sell like hot cakes though.
    The Black is clearly based on the old SARB015 with the shark tooth markers, so definitely no numbers on that one. I'm guessing the Green and white will have even numbers as they have in the past.

The old SARB015:

The cyclops is a return to the mid 90s models, which I had a set of, but did sell on unfortunately.

Interestly, of the mid 90's models the green is the grail watch and very rarely turns up for sale, yet with the SARB013,15,17 release the White is the killer to find.

Invest your money in the new Black - you heard it here first 😂

Craftsman
    That PS (or x, depending on how you see it) is awful. It ruins every watch its been out on.

Not a fan of the cyclops myself but I can understand it will have a certain charm for some.

Overall, the x, cyclops, larger size and (at least on the black one) sharktooth markers really ruin this for me.

Going by the ovcerings so far over the past 2 years, Seiko will probably release a limited edition "original" spec version with an 8rxx movement in a few years for 3000+ quid.

Craftsman
    Is that a picture of one in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Is that a picture of one in the wild?
    I wouldn't have thought so. More likely some sort of promo mockup that's probably been leaked in error. I'm sure if someone had actually seen these new releases in the flesh they would be all over them and the images would spread quickly.

Hopefully that's not the finished version.

AD in Japan

AD in Japan
    Thanks.
    Well, you can assess the reliability of your source better, but I'll treat this as rumours until I see photos or specs.

Craftsman
    I'd hoped this would be my next watch but I don't like the x in the dial.. I'd like a seiko black dial with nice movement for around 600 pounds...

I bought this a few weeks back. For starters all sellers want a premium on what they paid, but in all fairness I have read on WUS etc that after state taxes and delivery a lot of US punters paid close to $700 for theirs and factoring in e-bay and PayPal selling fees, I would suggest my seller barely got his money back. I certainly didn't fund his next holiday.

The killer is the e-bay Global Shipping Program that includes the 20% VAT due, International Express tracked and insured delivery and of course their brokering fee. That said, the VAT and international shipping would be payable anyway and this method is safer as e-bay manage the entire process and are liable for getting the goods to your front door.

I have seen a few EU examples listed, but clearly those costs of getting the watch over the pond are included in the asking price.

Also at the moment, most sellers are selling brand new watches, maybe in 6-12 months time a few used examples may appear on the market and the price may fall a little. I personally decided if I was going to buy one it had to be a brand new watch.

I did have a wobble when it arrived, the usual do I keep it or sell it etc, but after wearing it for a few days I will be keeping it. It is a lovely watch and I am a sucker for Blue dials 👍

^^^^I think that is the best version. Nice catch and will remain sought after I reckon which keeps it special.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    ^^^^I think that is the best version. Nice catch and will remain sought after I reckon which keeps it special.
    Thanks, the compass like all these Alpinists is complete bonkers, you could almost rotate it by blowing on the lower crown. I have given up putting it back to 12 under normal OCD rules and have invented my own little game, see how long it takes to do a full rotation on its own. Hours, days, I could be taking bets next 😂

There's seems to be suggestions that the white dial with the gold furniture will be a Seiko on-line only watch. Not really sure what means, it doesn't sound like a limited edition, but it may well be that most outlets won't have it in stock and you probably have to order from Seiko direct on that one.

I will wait until Seiko themselves make some official announcement on the range and see what's going on with that watch in particular. It seems a little odd to sell it this way unless it is going to be a restricted or limited edition. I did see that you can pre-order it from Japan, so maybe this is a load of old tosh...

https://wornandwound.com/the-seiko-a...ck-in-january/
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 16th December 2019 at 22:18.