closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

The Seiko Alpinist will make a comeback in Jan 2020.(sorry no images)

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/new...ck-in-jan-2020

The Seiko Alpinist Will Be Back In 2020

Excellent! Black dial with red Alpinist would be great.
    Last edited by Toshk; 6th September 2019 at 14:14.

Is the RRP indicative of what it will actually cost most places?

Seems quite expensive for modest changes.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Is the RRP indicative of what it will actually cost most places?

Seems quite expensive for modest changes.

M
    Welcome to Seiko’s bid to move into the mid/luxury market! Actually £600 isn’t that bad when you compare to Kickstarter pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

More than twice what I paid for mine a couple of years ago...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

No, ahem, blue dial? :D

I love mine but not sure I’d spend that much on a new one. Looking forward to the pics when they release some though, especially the black dial version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the pictures - the white dial would be nice. I had my name down for the blue-dialled Hodinkee model, but it sold out the second time and they didn't even need to inform those on the waiting list.

Can't wait to see these, a little expensive? Maybe, but at £250 new when I bought my 017 seven years ago that was almost ridiculously cheap. Not that I was complaining of course!

7 years ago £ used to buy you ¥200

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    More than twice what I paid for mine a couple of years ago...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    This is a the problem with seiko new pricing strategy. One always felt they were getting value for money from seiko, particularly with something like the alpinist. It was defo a watch worth way more than the asking.
    Now though that value is gone. To be fair the watch is probably worth the new asking. Any other company producing a watch of that detail and finish with 70hr reserve would ask a min of 600 quid. We are used to getting more for our money from seiko though and thats the pill that many seiko fans find difficult to swallow.

It happens with a lot of companies, I remember with a sinn 556 was less than 700 quid. Now it's over 1k and the reason I don't have one, the value isn't there.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 7th September 2019 at 09:50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    No, ahem, blue dial? :D
    If they eventually do a blue dial one then they'll inevitably pull it from sale after about a week. ;-)

Released in January

Craftsman
    Think I might pick up a black one

Has anymore information been released about these yet? Will they be the same 38mm case size as the original?

Looking forward to seeing the images when they come out, especially the White. The old SARB013 is nicknamed the Unicorn with good reason, almost impossible to find one. I've tried WTBs everywhere and not a sniff.

It would be nice if there was a limited edition set of the three together, like Omega did the other year 👍

That’s like a cross between the old SARB015 but with 017 hands - and no, we don’t want the ‘X’

Is that a bloody cyclops I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That’s like a cross between the old SARB015 but with 017 hands - and no, we don’t want the ‘X’

Is that a bloody cyclops I see.
    I think it is.....if you want an alpinist, go scramble and find the old one before everyone figures out the new one looks horrendous

New one is also slightly bigger :(

Craftsman
    Too early to say anything definitive yet, but I'm not excited by that "X" logo... Can anyone see what the red text on the dial below the "Automatic" says?

Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    Too early to say anything definitive yet, but I'm not excited by that "X" logo... Can anyone see what the red text on the dial below the "Automatic" says?
    Alpinist hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    How much bigger?

I am starting to think I should have held onto my green dial original...

Think 39.5. Not sure if the 72hr movement will add to case thickness as well.

Hmmm, definitely don’t like the X logo. Or the cyclops, and they’ve got rid of the Arabic’s too (old Alpinist had 2,4,6,8,10,12) for is a shame as for me a field watch should have at least some numbered markers. No doubt these will sell like hot cakes though.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Hmmm, definitely don’t like the X logo. Or the cyclops, and they’ve got rid of the Arabic’s too (old Alpinist had 2,4,6,8,10,12) for is a shame as for me a field watch should have at least some numbered markers. No doubt these will sell like hot cakes though.
    The Black is clearly based on the old SARB015 with the shark tooth markers, so definitely no numbers on that one. I'm guessing the Green and white will have even numbers as they have in the past.

The old SARB015:

The cyclops is a return to the mid 90s models, which I had a set of, but did sell on unfortunately.

Interestly, of the mid 90's models the green is the grail watch and very rarely turns up for sale, yet with the SARB013,15,17 release the White is the killer to find.

Invest your money in the new Black - you heard it here first 😂

Looks like I’m going to be buying the Blue dial at a premium then...

Was hoping the new release would be improved, absolutely hate the look of that cyclops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That PS (or x, depending on how you see it) is awful. It ruins every watch its been out on.

Not a fan of the cyclops myself but I can understand it will have a certain charm for some.

Overall, the x, cyclops, larger size and (at least on the black one) sharktooth markers really ruin this for me.

Going by the ovcerings so far over the past 2 years, Seiko will probably release a limited edition "original" spec version with an 8rxx movement in a few years for 3000+ quid.

Craftsman
    Is that a picture of one in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Is that a picture of one in the wild?
    I wouldn't have thought so. More likely some sort of promo mockup that's probably been leaked in error. I'm sure if someone had actually seen these new releases in the flesh they would be all over them and the images would spread quickly.

Hopefully that's not the finished version.

Think 39.5.
    Where did you get this info from?

AD in Japan

Craftsman
    I'd hoped this would be my next watch but I don't like the x in the dial.. I'd like a seiko black dial with nice movement for around 600 pounds...

AD in Japan
    Thanks.
    Well, you can assess the reliability of your source better, but I'll treat this as rumours until I see photos or specs.

I bought this a few weeks back. For starters all sellers want a premium on what they paid, but in all fairness I have read on WUS etc that after state taxes and delivery a lot of US punters paid close to $700 for theirs and factoring in e-bay and PayPal selling fees, I would suggest my seller barely got his money back. I certainly didn't fund his next holiday.

The killer is the e-bay Global Shipping Program that includes the 20% VAT due, International Express tracked and insured delivery and of course their brokering fee. That said, the VAT and international shipping would be payable anyway and this method is safer as e-bay manage the entire process and are liable for getting the goods to your front door.

I have seen a few EU examples listed, but clearly those costs of getting the watch over the pond are included in the asking price.

Also at the moment, most sellers are selling brand new watches, maybe in 6-12 months time a few used examples may appear on the market and the price may fall a little. I personally decided if I was going to buy one it had to be a brand new watch.

I did have a wobble when it arrived, the usual do I keep it or sell it etc, but after wearing it for a few days I will be keeping it. It is a lovely watch and I am a sucker for Blue dials 👍

^^^^I think that is the best version. Nice catch and will remain sought after I reckon which keeps it special.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    ^^^^I think that is the best version. Nice catch and will remain sought after I reckon which keeps it special.
    Thanks, the compass like all these Alpinists is complete bonkers, you could almost rotate it by blowing on the lower crown. I have given up putting it back to 12 under normal OCD rules and have invented my own little game, see how long it takes to do a full rotation on its own. Hours, days, I could be taking bets next 😂

Craftsman
    Seiya has some pics up of the new models.

RRP is 620-650 euros, as expected, which will hopefully come down by 10-15% as nobody seems to pay RRP for seiko.
    I think the price is warranted for the movement, fit and finish, but for anyone who knows the price of the older alpinist, it does sting a bit .

Cyclops & PS (or X depending on your perspective) is a deal breaker for me. Similar to the SUMO, that proxpex logo detracts so much from the face, its gimicky, adds clutter & reduces the classiness of the watch.
    If i didnt have an alpinist, would i bite, possibly, but id really struggle with that logo.

Modern day updates of the mid 90s 'Red' Alpinists perhaps.

I like the look of the new models. We have the SARB series without the cyclops although the Black and Cream are extremely difficult to find these days. Many dealers including Gnomon are still selling the SARB017 Green despite the fact that it is supposed to be discountinued, so anyone after a brand new one at pre new model prices, get in quick.

I would have preferred the X not to be on the dial, but can live with it. I don't see that as a show stopper. It is a shame they didn't put the word Alpinist in Red like the 90s models.

These are likely to be available for a good few years, so clearly better to wait until all the shops have them and see what the discounts are inc the usual 10% off for signing up for e-mails. Alternately wait for them to appear on SC, but I think I would prefer new to one with chewed lugs from someone who changes straps with a hammer and chisel 😂

Definitely interest, but in the meantime the hunt goes on for the elusive SARB013 👍

Someone has posted on FB how it should have looked - couldn't agree more...

Someone has posted on FB how it should have looked - couldn't agree more...

The X isn't a deal breaker for me either, although the one on the right with what I assume is Alpinist in red photoshopped on would be far better. I'd buy an old model 017 before the new green one, but the 089 is a handsome and cheaper alternative to an 013.

Craftsman
    I don't dislike the "X" as much as I thought I would, but "20 BAR" seems to belong on a dive watch rather than the adventure vibe they're going for here. Might go for the cream dial one once they hit the second hand market.

These were on Insta, via Seiya Japan (think that’s right).

Black and cream both look lovely. Green looks cheap IMO, might just be the pic. The cyclops and X logo don’t do it any favours either, but I still think they look nice. Wonder what size they’ll be? The old Alpinist was a perfect size and case shape, hope they stick with that and don’t bump it up to a 42 or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidj54; 5th November 2019 at 18:07.

Always pays to scroll up and down in a thread before posting 😂

Always pays to scroll up and down in a thread before posting 😂
    Haha, indeed. Last I read the thread there were no decent pics and didn’t look like it had been updated for a while! That’ll teach me.

Craftsman
    Very interested in the black

It'll be interesting to see how these are actually priced once U.K. dealers have stock. The 77,000 yen equals approx. £550 and given that most dealers tend to offer 10% on line for signing up for e-mails etc, I'm guessing around the £500.00 mark. I think it would be a while before they start including them in sales promotions etc.

The SARB017 (Green Alpinist) is still available from Gnomon for a little over $500 and with currency conversions and 20% VAT to pay, that also comes out around the £500 mark, so no stunning price hike from Seiko. Certainly the 017 was cheaper years ago when UK dealers had stock, but they have been sold out for a long time now as the Watch was 'supposedly' discontinued in 2017.

Need to save the pennies 👍

Journeyman
    That is a sad and ugly thing. "X" on the dial. Cyclops. WHITE date wheel. And Monster-esque hour markers. Why, Seiko? Why?

I like the new black one a lot. Think this will be on my radar to buy. Not fussed on the cyclopse but for me it's not a deal breaker.

Anyone any idea whether these will be JDM only watches like the old Alpinist Sarb017 or international? I’m assuming because of the Prospex logo they will be widely available.

Also, has the case size been confirmed? The 38.5mm of the old Alpinist was so good.