closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 5 Sports Automatic

Seiko 5 Sports Automatic

Has anyone picked up one of these yet? I have been having a look at them online and they look really good. I know there have been a few complaints they dont have a screw down crown in spite of being a diver type watch (Though they are 100m water resistant) and bigger than the SK007 but I really like some of the colour combinations and the huge upgrade on the movement is a massive bonus. Price doesnt seem too bad either considering its less than the SARB series when they came out and cheaper than the Turtle reissue as well.

Only downside I see is there are not many online reviews that I have found of them just yet.

There are a couple of press releases on worn and wound etc I was going to link but to be honest are so bland its pointless it reads like a cut and paste from the Seiko website as do the youtube so called "Reviews"

Blog Entries
    Found this it's literally the only video of one in the flesh on YouTube. Not the best quality neither but -

https://youtu.be/BBxl3v_rjUY

And

https://youtu.be/mopnYrtMhFA

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Not seen one yet, but I’ll probably pick up the all black one with the black lume. Not keen on the glass case backs on these though.

Master
    Shouldn’t we be seeing them in regular stockists of Seiko soon?

Incidentally, I like the display caseback.

Blog Entries
    Are the indices applied? If so I'm not keen personally

They seem to be all applied. I like the look of these thanks for posting the videos. They are an interesting mix of the SKX and the Seiko 5 for example in the display back but with a much better movement than both of them so there is an upgrade that justifies the price.

TBH I'm a bit unmoved by the glass caseback. I have a few watches with this feature but it's kind of lost on me.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I like the look of these, I might have to seek one out. As far as the caseback is concerned I'd prefer metal but it's not a deal breaker.

Blog Entries
    I find the applied indices make it look invictary. The lume plots look minuscule now so that's going to reduce lume surface area negating its roots as an intended readable dive watch. They just sold out all the best parts of the skx IMHO. I appreciate it's not a dive watch but even inspired now it's looking like a lean to sub a like

Well my green dial version has arrived. First impressions I quite like it. The small additions like the applied lume and better movement all do make a difference and the Seiko 5 never did have a screw down crown.

Will post up a short review and some photos in the morning.

Master
    Got my first Seiko off here a few weeks ago just for a holiday watch. I have to say I was massively impressed with the quality compared to my other watches (mostly Rolex) and I now find myself looking at them more than any other maker.

Anyway, got an Orange dial 5 coming tomorrow and can't wait! Will hopefully post some pics on here once I've picked it up.

First photo!

Excuse the poor light. First impressions I like it. The date is just starting to change over so there is no fault there in the picture. The bracelet is pretty much Seiko quality bracelet, in another words, remove as soon as possible and put the watch on something else! The drilled lugs are an interesting addition making removing Seiko spring bars a little easier. Contrary to what most online reviews go on about this is not a replacement to the Seiko SKX (I have previously owned two of them) Its a Seiko 5 with a few upgrades (The movement the main thing)

So a few things on first impression, bracelet Seiko SKX quality (Horrible) All this guff about those "Quaint" Rattly SKX bracelets I have never come across one that I liked I can only say the jubilee one was slightly better than the other so the fact this is equally bad is no big thing. That being said, it doesnt look too bad on the wrist just a personal preference to remove it.

Dial appears very nice certainly better than any Seiko 5 I have come across and similar to the Seiko Turtle that was released a few years ago. The display back doesn't really offer anything to the overall look of the watch but again, is more of a Seiko 5 thing.

So for me having bought and quickly sold at least 2 Seiko SKX and a Seiko Turtle I am probably more likely to keep this one.

Better photo in daylight. Looks a lot better on a leather strap than the bracelet IMO. Lume is a green colour and as usual with Seiko very bright.

Would love a no date version as a beater if they ever do one.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 4th October 2019 at 06:49.

Craftsman
    How’s the chapter ring alignment on these?

Always been off and bugged me enough to sell on the SKXs I’ve had.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

No issues with mine

Craftsman
    Available in H.Samuel here..

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d...racelet+watch/

Who are offering buy one get 50% off another (cheapest) item until midnight tonight

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think it’s safe to say they will never do one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    No issues with mine
    Tremendous. Might be tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Pretty much, given that the entire Seiko 5 line has, by definition, these 5 features:

1. Automatic winding.
    2. Day/date window.
    3. Water resistance.
    4. Recessed crown at 4 o’clock.
    5. Durable steel case and bracelet.

Of course, Seiko modding is quite popular. Maybe someone will make a no-date dial for these.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    .... the entire Seiko 5 line has .... Recessed crown at 4 o’clock
    Are you sure about that one?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Pretty much, given that the entire Seiko 5 line has, by definition, these 5 features:

1. Automatic winding.
    2. Day/date window.
    3. Water resistance.
    4. Recessed crown at 4 o’clock.
    5. Durable steel case and bracelet.

Of course, Seiko modding is quite popular. Maybe someone will make a no-date dial for these.
    Found this online. Would prefer on oyster but that looks fantastic. It's a shame they don't do it.

Found this online. Would prefer on oyster but that looks fantastic. It's a shame they don't do it.
    I prefer that bracelet so if you did get it happy to do a trade.

By the way H Samuel has some buy one get one half price and they stock some of the new Seiko 5. Might be an inexpensive way of getting one and selling the other?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I prefer that bracelet so if you did get it happy to do a trade.

By the way H Samuel has some buy one get one half price and they stock some of the new Seiko 5. Might be an inexpensive way of getting one and selling the other?
    Thank you for the tip. At the moment I'm trying to sell my srpc49k1 on SC so can't buy anything until that's out. That being said I think if I do add a other Seiko it could be the new green Sumo. Too much bling for me in the sunlight. It in the winter could be a really nice work watch. Could contrast with my SPB079 really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Are you sure about that one?

No, I thought it surprising, but I couldn't remember the full list of 5 things other than "auto", "date" and "water resistance" so I looked it up and found the same list from more than one source. It does seem like an odd feature to put in a manifesto, if you're going to do that. And afaik Seiko 5 is the only watch line to have such a thing.

I guess they've let that one slide occasionally. Come to think of it, I've got a Seiko 5 Fathoms with crown at 3 so should have realised that rule isn't set in stone. I can't see them altering any of the big 3 though.

No, I thought it surprising, but I couldn't remember the full list of 5 things other than "auto", "date" and "water resistance" so I looked it up and found the same list from more than one source. It does seem like an odd feature to put in a manifesto, if you're going to do that. And afaik Seiko 5 is the only watch line to have such a thing.

I guess they've let that one slide occasionally. Come to think of it, I've got a Seiko 5 Fathoms with crown at 3 so should have realised that rule isn't set in stone. I can't see them altering any of the big 3 though.
    There's always a chance that the Seiko website (which is where that list first appeared, I think) just printed rubbish about what the five were in the original "5 Sports" models - the late sixties was a long time ago after all, and marketing departments aren't traditionally truth-centred.....

The unofficial Seiko 5 database suggests the five might have been Auto winding, Day/Date, WR, shock resistance and unbreakable mainspring.

Journeyman
    I think if you drop "unbreakable mainspring" and replace with "centre seconds" the list is complete

I thought they were expensive for a 5 line of watch personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The unofficial Seiko 5 database suggests the five might have been Auto winding, Day/Date, WR, shock resistance and unbreakable mainspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seang View Post
    I think if you drop "unbreakable mainspring" and replace with "centre seconds" the list is complete
    That definitely makes more sense.
    Last edited by robt; 6th October 2019 at 20:15.

Seiko had had centre seconds as standard for many years before the 5 Sports

Journeyman
    Having had a look around the internet, I was wrong, it is the mainspring - Dialflex, unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I thought they were expensive for a 5 line of watch personally.
    My initial thoughts were the same but having looked at the most basic Seiko 5 watches selling at £90 - £120 and some of the more interesting ones pushing £200 without the upgrade in movement I came to the conclusion the price was about right.

The days of a Seiko 5 for about £40 seem to be long gone.

Blog Entries
    Just tried the all black one, very nice.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app