closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbed on Ibiza: 16610 gone

Master

Robbed on Ibiza: 16610 gone

Well, it that happened to me. Last night i got robbed on Ibiza. They took my 16610 from my wrist. The insurance doesn’t cover it.

I have seen these topics on the forum before and I always thought that would never happen to me. I guess I was wrong.

I was very fond of the watch. It was my one watch for years from a collection to just one watch.

Unbelieveable. 😔

Really sorry to hear. Why won't insurance cover it? Are you ok?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did you notice at the time? Or later?

Gutting but it’s only a possession.

Master
    That’s dreadful - were you wearing the watch or was it taken from your room etc?

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    That’s dreadful - were you wearing the watch or was it taken from your room etc?
    He said they took it off his wrist.

Sorry to hear that. Odd insurance doesn’t cover it. What kind of insurance was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really sorry to hear this, how did it happen?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Very sorry to hear this. I too would be interested to hear of the circumstances, to be aware in the future.

This is exactly why I never wear a watch when I go on holiday, which is in itself a shame and not something one should even have to think about.

Hope you can manage to 'get over it' and enjoy the rest of your holiday, rather than it casting a cloud over your remaining time there.

Blog Entries
    Commiserations. :-(

Did they threaten/use force or was it done without you knowing?

Why won’t travel insurance cover it?

Home insurance should cover this, make sure to get a Police report there though

sadly a lot of it going on in Balearics

gangs based in Barcelona are branching out

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...ch-thefts.html

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...rosecutor.html

this one was a happier ending
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49374179
    Last edited by TKH; 6th September 2019 at 10:26.

Master
    Agreed home insurance may cover it. My John Lewis policy covers me on holiday so do check the policy.

Madness that they are so swift of hand they can remove a watch from a persons wrist without them knowing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Home insurance should cover this, make sure to get a Police report there though
    I'd be very surprised if it was standard for home insurance to cover a £6k watch for loss outside the home by default. All the policies I've bought required specific declaration of any valuable items & additional premium if you want them covered outside the house.

I have separate insurance for my watch that covers everything. Only 150 a year. Already came in handy when I fell over and trashed the bracelet and case. 1700 replacement cost!

That's awful, I hope you are at least unhurt physically.

My 16610 was for many, many years my go-to "holiday watch" up until quite recently. Now I take either a Seiko Monster or an old IWC when I travel (especially to London).

That's a right bitch of a thing to happen mate. I hope it doesn't cast a long shadow
    Gray

Master
    Sorry to hear this. It’s happening all too often and with ease as they are professionals.
    There’s not a lot you can do if you realised at the time as things would only get very nasty.
    I posted several weeks ago that it happened to a good friend of mine, he would be the last person i would ever think it could happen to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    That's awful, I hope you are at least unhurt physically.

My 16610 was for many, many years my go-to "holiday watch" up until quite recently. Now I take either a Seiko Monster or an old IWC when I travel (especially to London).
    same here - love my 16610 but always take my SKX007 on holiday

a terrible thing to happen, as once you wear a Rolex Sub daily it becomes part of you

Really sorry for you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I'd be very surprised if it was standard for home insurance to cover a £6k watch for loss outside the home by default. All the policies I've bought required specific declaration of any valuable items & additional premium if you want them covered outside the house.
    Agreed.

Some insurers also have ceilings on valuables that are not kept in safes at home. Direct Line's limit is £7250 if I recall correctly. This means that my 116710blnr would not be insured as it is not kept in a safe. If I insured it at the then rrp (£6850) it would be underinsured and therefore not insured.

Master
    Sorry for your lose but can't understand why it is not insured.

My two watches worth 15k cost less than £10 per month on my home insurance and cover me anywhere in the world up to 60days and won't stop me wearing them abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Sorry for your lose but can't understand why it is not insured.

My two watches worth 15k cost less than £10 per month on my home insurance and cover me anywhere in the world up to 60days and won't stop me wearing them abroad.
    There's more to it than just £££. My motivation for not wearing the 16610 is primarily that I'd really rather not be assaulted by a group of criminals. It's possibly the world's most easily-recognisable watch, and so I wouldn't even wear a homage/replica/fake in case it was misaken for the real thing.

Where I live is actually pretty safe, but touristy areas just aren't these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Agreed.

Some insurers also have ceilings on valuables that are not kept in safes at home. Direct Line's limit is £7250 if I recall correctly. This means that my 116710blnr would not be insured as it is not kept in a safe. If I insured it at the then rrp (£6850) it would be underinsured and therefore not insured.
    Agreed. My policy with John Lewis is up to 5k for a single item and anything over that value needs to be specified. Don’t recall the value but there is a max value as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    I have separate insurance for my watch that covers everything. Only 150 a year. Already came in handy when I fell over and trashed the bracelet and case. 1700 replacement cost!]
    Who's that with RAFF?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Did they threaten/use force or was it done without you knowing?

Why won’t travel insurance cover it?
    I am sorry to hear this and it’s a bit after the horse has bolted but.....abit of sellotape across or around the clasp can make it more difficult for them to snatch....I’ve done this in the past when in Barcelona and it was deemed dodgy.

Master
    Really sorry to hear this. What an awful thing to happen, mainly hope you are okay.

Master
    So sorry to hear.

Really hope a speeding bus finds the guy.

Sad news and indicative of the times I'm afraid. Total scum.

Craftsman
    Everyone else should learn from this awful event and check their insurance. You can't always prevent terrible things happening, but you can make sure that you've made provision for it.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear that. If you need a second opinion on the insurance policy wording, let us know!

I should also add I'm sorry to hear of your experience OP. We are going to Rome in October and I am now thinking twice about taking my blnr.

G-Shock all the way on holiday. Functional, practical and cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Sorry to hear that. If you need a second opinion on the insurance policy wording, let us know!
    Insurance, schminsurance. People have been murdered for their watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44415533

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Insurance, schminsurance. People have been murdered for their watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44415533
    And for that you have life insurance 🤪

Gutted for you mate. Sad to know wearing a Rolex does have its downsides these days unfortunately, especially as they are so distinctive and expensive, makes for an easy target.

At least nobody was directly harmed, at least I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    And for that you have life insurance 浪
    Haha very good!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sad news, i’m Booked up for Turkey in October and I was going to take my 116610.

After reading this post I think i’ll Just leave it at home and buy a g shock 5600.

Very sorry to hear the OP's situation but would love to know more details etc.

I have just been back from Ibiza about a week and wore my 5167 the entire time. San Antonio, Ibiza Town, Beach, Pool. You name it it was on my wrist. I've been every year for at least a weekend for the past 20 years wearing Rolex and Panerai and never had any issues. Just intrigued to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Very sorry to hear the OP's situation but would love to know more details etc.

I have just been back from Ibiza about a week and wore my 5167 the entire time. San Antonio, Ibiza Town, Beach, Pool. You name it it was on my wrist. I've been every year for at least a weekend for the past 20 years wearing Rolex and Panerai and never had any issues. Just intrigued to know more.
    Count yourself lucky. Although marginally less well-known than the Rolex, the recent popularity of the PP Nautilus will have sucked the Aquanaut into the criminals' "most wanted" category.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Sad news, i’m Booked up for Turkey in October and I was going to take my 116610.

After reading this post I think i’ll Just leave it at home and buy a g shock 5600.
    Depends where you're going I guess but generally turkey is very safe. Would be hard for Bodrum to be safer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Depends where you're going I guess but generally turkey is very safe. Would be hard for Bodrum to be safer.
    Totally agree. Turkey very safe imo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not a nice thing to happen. Hope you are ok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks guys. How it happened? Just two guys approached me. Talking all friendly. It happens all day so asked them politely to go away. Just in that moment of no more than 15/30 sec the watch was gone. I didn t even notice it untill i walked away and felt there was no watch on my wrist. I wasn’t drunk. It happened so fast I couldn’t believe what happened. I feel so stupid because i am very careful with evertything that happens around me. Still, I disn’t see it coming from miles away. Insurance is capped at eur 500 so bollocks.

Let this be a warning to all of you. It can happen even though you think you are careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Thanks guys. How it happened? Just two guys approached me. Talking all friendly. It happens all day so asked them politely to go away. Just in that moment of no more than 15/30 sec the watch was gone. I didn t even notice it untill i walked away and felt there was no watch on my wrist. I wasn’t drunk. It happened so fast I couldn’t believe what happened. I feel so stupid because i am very careful with evertything that happens around me. Still, I disn’t see it coming from miles away. Insurance is capped at eur 500 so bollocks.

Let this be a warning to all of you. It can happen even though you think you are careful.
    That’s insane! Unbelievable how that can happen without you noticing. Sorry this happened.

Master
    This is a really stroke of bad luck for the OP but for goodness sake do not let this incident stop you wearing your Rolex.

I wear mine 365 days a year and 150 of those days are abroad including places such as Barcelona and have never had any problems.

I am a 5ft8" 70 year old man and if wear it, anyone can.

Mick, they think yours is fake, that's why they leave you alone

Really sorry to hear about this, especially given the insurance situation.

I've just been looking on YouTube at videos about how to steal a watch off somebody's wrist (most of them are listed as "magic tricks" rather than "theft tutorials"!) and it's scarily easy.

I rarely wear expensive watches on holiday (even though they are covered by my insurance), as we've gone to a few countries where the people are not very affluent, and it just doesn't seem to be appropriate to be wearing a watch that costs a lot of money. I get as much fun wearing a cheap-ish Seiko or similar, and I don't have any worries about being attacked, having it stolen, losing it or appearing ostentatious.

Sorry to hear this. I hope you are ok.

Is it worth reporting to Rolex? It may take some time but if it’s ever sent in for a service it may be picked up and returned to you?

Just to add to everyone else's message about this being rubbish - sorry to hear it. Definitely worth notifying Rolex of the serial number just in case (there's another section of the forum for notifying of theft too).

The TV programme the Real Hustle did a show about this once and it's crazy how easy it can be. It used to happen a lot in Barcelona too.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I actually just came back from there. I wore a Seiko in the town and left my JLC at the hotel but once in town it all felt extremely safe - especially coupled with all the fake watches there, a crook would be lucky to grab a real one off a tourist !