closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbed on Ibiza: 16610 gone

Having experienced a sub being stolen myself I know how the OP must feel and it’s not nice.

At least the OP is not hurt or injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This is a really stroke of bad luck for the OP but for goodness sake do not let this incident stop you wearing your Rolex.

I wear mine 365 days a year and 150 of those days are abroad including places such as Barcelona and have never had any problems.

I am a 5ft8" 70 year old man and if wear it, anyone can.
    I am mindful of these type of things when wearing an expensive watch, it is really foolhardy to own a multi thousand pound Rolex without insurance, whilst travelling in this country or abroad. In all the years I have holidayed in Majorca I have never had any problems.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Insurance, schminsurance. People have been murdered for their watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44415533

That is a truly horrible story and puts stuff into perspective that its just a watch.
    Guy looked like he would be able to handle himself too so not a particularly soft target.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I am mindful of these type of things when wearing an expensive watch, it is really foolhardy to own a multi thousand pound Rolex without insurance, whilst travelling in this country or abroad. In all the years I have holidayed in Majorca I have never had any problems.
    The problem is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You just never know.

This is a really stroke of bad luck for the OP but for goodness sake do not let this incident stop you wearing your Rolex.

I wear mine 365 days a year and 150 of those days are abroad including places such as Barcelona and have never had any problems.

I am a 5ft8" 70 year old man and if wear it, anyone can.
    That’s all well and good Mick. Until the day if happens to you!

We all believe it’ll never happen to us, as I’m sure, do all the victims!

Sorry to hear this OP, definitely get it reported and on the register.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    G-Shock all the way on holiday. Functional, practical and cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This , this and this some more. My only watch for abroad . No nonsense, no worries . I even think any generic sub a like can inspire the audacious type to steal it from you . They will chance that it is a Rolex sub and if not what have they lost .

Glad it didn't involve violence to the OP .

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    I try to never let anyone get close enough to me on holiday, as this is becoming way too common occurrence.
    Also I have large hands so if I make a fist the watch will not slide over my hand, six digit watches.
    At least no violence was used against the OP.

Master
    It won’t stop me wearing my Rolex, it will however stop me going to Ibiza...

My sister was robbed within 15 minutes of arrival in Barcelona

My next door neighbour and his wife were robbed whilst in a Cathedral in Valencia.....

Spain you can keep it..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    I try to never let anyone get close enough to me on holiday, as this is becoming way too common occurrence.
    Also I have large hands so if I make a fist the watch will not slide over my hand, six digit watches.
    At least no violence was used against the OP.
    Its the prospect of where it goes from here, do they just let go and bail or do they persist, have they persisted before, what is the next level? for me, its the casio safety policy in any touchy area home or abroad. not saying its right but its safer.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear it, OP.

Was it just a couple of opportunist Spanish yobs or was it something more sinister do you think ?

Sorry to hear about that. Suppose at least in London you’d be aware of it as they’d probably stick a knife up your left nostril before relieving you of the said item 😕

Master
    Really sorry to hear this. I've just returned from a holiday in various Med / Adriatic ports and saw a number of fellow tourists wearing valuable watches; Omegas and Rolexes especially. I resolved to wear my own nice watches more often to get some more pleasure out of them. But having read this, I think I'll be taking the £7 Casio on holiday again next time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Really sorry to hear this. I've just returned from a holiday in various Med / Adriatic ports and saw a number of fellow tourists wearing valuable watches; Omegas and Rolexes especially. I resolved to wear my own nice watches more often to get some more pleasure out of them. But having read this, I think I'll be taking the £7 Casio on holiday again next time.
    What is the point in buying a Rolex or an Omega if you are too frightened to wear it ?

You risk being killed every time you fly in a plane or drive a car etc but we still all travel.

Count yourself lucky. Although marginally less well-known than the Rolex, the recent popularity of the PP Nautilus will have sucked the Aquanaut into the criminals' "most wanted" category.
    Sorry to hear about the OP’s Sub, not good at all. I have various family members who live on Mallorca and this kind of theft is on the up, sadly.

One of the worst cases I’ve read about was this one in Palma: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=656783

Not good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Sorry to hear it, OP.

Was it just a couple of opportunist Spanish yobs or was it something more sinister do you think ?
    Haha - classic Ally 😂

Sorry to hear that mate.

I’m afraid it’s the state of the world we live in.

What is the point in buying a Rolex or an Omega if you are too frightened to wear it ?

You risk being killed every time you fly in a plane or drive a car etc but we still all travel.
    It's known as "discretion" Mick. It's the better part of valour.

Gutted for you and I hope there is a positive outcome even though that may seem remote to you..

When I go on holiday which isn't very much unfortunately I take something like a Sinn with a few different strap/bracelet options, its smart, interesting to me and its less likely to get too much attention.

Sorry to hear this OP. I hope you are ok as can be in a situation like this. Somehow I hope this watch finds its way back to you.

I went to a watch event and the magician put a coin under the case back of my watch. I was not drinking and completely OCD about my watches but did not notice anything. He could have easily taken it off my wrist and I would not have known. Anyone who asks how did you not notice - you just don’t. He is not grabbing at your wrists and trying to slip a coin under whilst scratching your watch. I was speechless.

Master
    There's more to it than just £££. My motivation for not wearing the 16610 is primarily that I'd really rather not be assaulted by a group of criminals. It's possibly the world's most easily-recognisable watch, and so I wouldn't even wear a homage/replica/fake in case it was misaken for the real thing.

Where I live is actually pretty safe, but touristy areas just aren't these days.
    I won’t take my Sub abroad for this reason even though its insured for full replacement value.

Master
    Sad to hear these kind of thefts becoming more common - seems nowhere is safe! It does make me wonder is it really worth it at all to own expensive Rolex watches..

Hope the watch turns up somewhere and can be given back to its rightful owner.

I’m enormously sorry to hear what has happened to the OP.

It does question the wisdom of wearing an expensive watch where several thousand pounds is strapped to your wrist. At the very least it merits a reflection on the risks and benefits in relation to where you will be with it. It is an individual matter over what people are comfortable with, but it’s beyond me how some people can comfortably wear £20000+ of Patek

Dave

Master
    so sorry to hear this. report the theft to the police, follow up when yu van with the watch details/serial number etc, and ask milton/an AD to add the watch to the stolen register with rolex etc. the chances are slim, but it might get it back to you so do it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Insurance, schminsurance. People have been murdered for their watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44415533
    Most likely some unsuspecting soul is wearing that watch not knowing someone else died for it.

Robbed on Ibiza: 16610 gone

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Most likely some unsuspecting soul is wearing that watch not knowing someone else died for it.
    If you’re buying it off some dodgy g*t you probably don’t care much.

Last edited by RAFF; 6th September 2019 at 22:09.

Master
    I dide file a police report. I must say the Guarda Civil were very nice, polite and helpful.

Although it was disturbing to see i was number 4 of people that night got robbed. A few other Rolexes were stolen.

I cannot express myself enough how bizar it is al that happened.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate.

I’m afraid it’s the state of the world we live in.

I guess it was better when women were drinking gin to kill their unborns and every other person had syphilis?

Like everyone else, I’m gutted for you OP. Dreadful state of affairs, something I struggle with if I’m honest. Just pleased to hear you’re as ok as possible given the circumstances

I haven’t been on holiday abroad for years and now that I’ve got the time to do it, I think I’ll head off the beaten track, with an obviously cheap watch. Shame that anyone has to think this way though.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your time away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Insurance is capped at eur 500 so bollocks.

Are you talking about your travel insurance here?
    On your home insurance I assume you specify it as a separate item for outside the house? They should cover you.

Check your documents, if it’s specified find out why they won’t cover it. Drop me a PM when you’re back if you like and I’ll tell you the right phrases to use regarding financial conduct authority regs if they try to wriggle out of it.

Edit - seen you’re listed as from Holland and i don’t know the insurance conduct of business rules there, but generally they’re of identical standards within the EU
    Last edited by Sean89; 7th September 2019 at 00:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassette View Post
    I guess it was better when women were drinking gin to kill their unborns and every other person had syphilis?
    Been drinking, have we - Sir?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Been drinking, have we - Sir?
    Probably gin.

Very sorry to hear this.

But... for once I agree with Mick. Take some precautions and don't let the bastards stop you from enjoying the things you own.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassette View Post
    Ah, those were the days!

Very sorry to hear this OP, I hope you are not hurt and will be able to replace it sooner rather than later.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Something’s you can reduce the risk of happening, others you can’t.

I would have normally agreed with you but on the two times I’ve visited major cities I’ve left the Rolex at home.

Sorry to hear this but at least you are ok. Was this the classic grab your wrist type theft ?

About 15 years ago I bought my wife a Rolex to mark a special occasion. I was taken aback when the gift was politely decline as ‘we live in West London, I weigh 8 stone and don’t want a watch that costs as much as a car on my wrist saying please mug me’. When I thought about it I could see the logic, and almost thought I’d been daft to put her in danger. I should point out she’s pretty feisty and in no way nervous - she just didn’t think it was wise. So I returned the watch and I remember she chose a bracelet for about £100 from Tiffany as the replacement gift - she’s never been one for extravagant stuff. The more I read this kind of story I think she was very wise - and 15 years ago they cost a lot less!

Terrible shame that this happened.

I use less attractive watches when on holiday. I wear my watch on a NATO too, which I assume would be harder to remove without being noticed than a bracelet or strap.

Everything is OK until it isn't. These days Rolex carry way too much luggage to be worth bothering with... as they only attract the wrong attention.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Sorry to hear this but at least you are ok. Was this the classic grab your wrist type theft ?
    He describes what happened in #43.

I'm very sorry to hear of this loss. Absolutely gutted. I'm still at a loss as to how someone can 'invade your space', unclasp a watch and take it off your wrist without you knowing?
    Can it be done with a NATO strap?
    If 2 strangers came near me like that friendly or not I'd like to think they wouldn't get away lightly, although I do realize sometimes it's safer to let them take it if badly threatened.
    If I go abroad it's a cheap G taken and they could have it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. How it happened? Just two guys approached me. Talking all friendly. It happens all day so asked them politely to go away. Just in that moment of no more than 15/30 sec the watch was gone. I didn t even notice it untill i walked away and felt there was no watch on my wrist. I wasn’t drunk. It happened so fast I couldn’t believe what happened. I feel so stupid because i am very careful with evertything that happens around me. Still, I disn’t see it coming from miles away. Insurance is capped at eur 500 so bollocks.

Let this be a warning to all of you. It can happen even though you think you are careful.
    Horrible. I find it remarkable that a watch can be removed from your wrist without you noticing.

sorry to hear it OP, glad you're ok. But to be honest the 'holiday' aspect is a red herring- could just as easily happen in london.
    I think the only solution is to insure it and use common sense. If someone threatens you with a knife for example, just hand the thing over and claim. Don't be tempted to fight back (and this is from someone who boxed at uni). The risk just isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Horrible. I find it remarkable that a watch can be removed from your wrist without you noticing.
    There must be a distraction technique, I’ve seen magicians at shows that remove your watch without you noticing even when your half expecting it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    There must be a distraction technique, I’ve seen magicians at shows that remove your watch without you noticing even when your half expecting it to happen.
    Maybe these guys are magicians that have fallen on hard times.

Craftsman
    Just in that moment of no more than 15/30 sec the watch was gone. I didn t even notice it until i walked away and felt there was no watch on my wrist.
    So sorry to hear this. A mate of mine learned various magic tricks as a party piece. One of them is removing a watch from your wrist. It's pretty impressive since he does it, puts it on his own wrist then asks the "victim" the time. The technique is one of distraction, I expect there are You Tube training videos.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    We are going to Rome in October and I am now thinking twice about taking my blnr.
    Absolutely. I lived in Rome for two years and visit very regularly (going next week). The city is full of gypsies, tramps and thieves. Lot's of N African kids who come across the Med on rubber boats. I would play very safe walking around Rome and I don't usually wear any watch although it's generally a very safe city, it's full of "opportunists".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Happened to me at a christmas party, the magician was doing card tricks at the same time, I felt like a complete idiot when he made a big show of giving it back to me, especially as I didn't realise it had gone! Very skillful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    He describes what happened in #43.
    Yes I had read that post which is why I was asking if it was the classic grab the wrist technique?

Master
    Happened to my friend last year.
    I can see a future of Rolex sales stating never
    Worn outside.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...3-Watch-stolen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    Happened to my friend last year.
    Did he ever get it on the lost/stolen register? I couldn't understand why the police wouldn't take a crime report for what was obviously a crime.