closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Accepting PayPal through your business.

Accepting PayPal through your business.

Weve been asked about taking payment through PayPal but from what I can see compared to card tariffs the charges are excessive.
    We dònt run a website that accepts PayPal so we would be supplying our customers with our email address, them paying in advance or whilst F2F on collection.
    From what I can make out transactions valued up to £1500 pcm are charged at 3.4% with a one off fee of 20p. This incrementally decreases with higher turnover down to 1% ish.
    At 3.4 % it's almost 9 times greater than most of our debit card transactions and 5 times greater than credit card/business card transactions.
    It also appears that the possibility to be scammed is greater especially if somone uses a card to make payment through PayPal rather than an actual PayPal balance. The ability to be able to request a refund is also a possibility whilst the money is in limbo between accounts. So am I worrying about nothing.....am I missing something with the fees and does anyone use PayPal for taking payment and could give me some advice on charges and possible customers requesting their money back?
    FFF

Craftsman
    Can’t think of any reason for wanting to pay by PayPal at a vehicle repair shop. Surely it’s only a tiny percentage of your custom who would ask for this payment method anyway ? Tell them to whistle.

Your garage = your rules.

Master
    The Paypal fees are excessive so avoid if you can but if you feel you need to then just follow the Paypal rules, if delivering goods deliver only to the registered address on Paypal, if it's a service you've performed just get them to sign a document to say the work was completed and keep it in a safe place.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Can’t think of any reason for wanting to pay by PayPal at a vehicle repair shop. Surely it’s only a tiny percentage of your custom who would ask for this payment method anyway ? Tell them to whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    The Paypal fees are excessive so avoid if you can but if you feel you need to then just follow the Paypal rules, if delivering goods deliver only to the registered address on Paypal, if it's a service you've performed just get them to sign a document to say the work was completed and keep it in a safe place.
    So im right in saying that payments can be recalled?

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post

Yeh we've had a few people, doesn't really make sense to me either. We're talking £600 here so it's not a small amount to consider losing or even accepting the loss of 3.4% on.

If it’s just a couple of people out of hundred/s I wouldn’t bother. I’m sure you’ll be asked soon if not already if you’d accept Bitcoin or another crypto, offering every payment is simply not viable.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    We use PayPal as an option online, but not in the shop, we do have customers who we send PayPal invoices for but the fees all add up.
    We probably have on average one dispute a month out of thousands of transactions.
    Were pretty good at following the stipulations to get the PayPal protection and have only lost two disputes in the last four years but this equates to about £1800.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I find the Paypal customer service team really difficult to deal with too, so if you do get somebody trying to reclaim a refund it can be very frustrating!

Do people want to do w/o bank accounts to keep below the radar?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do people want to do w/o bank accounts to keep below the radar?
    Doesn't a PP account need to be linked to a bank account?

Master
    We advise our customers to use stripe for all online payments on their website.

I wouldn't bother with Paypal fees are high and loads of dodgy accounts about. It's more trouble than its worth

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I find the Paypal customer service team really difficult to deal with too, so if you do get somebody trying to reclaim a refund it can be very frustrating!
    The customer service team is based in Dublin and being Irish also, I hoped to have some support from them. I wanted a refund for an ultrasonic cleaner (£99.00) which went wrong after seven months. Paypal only offer a returns policy for 180 days, despite the item being guaranteed for 12 months. I explained that to them with no offer of help. The original seller had disappeared but was now selling under a new user name so no joy there. I rang my bank who refunded the £99.00 through my direct debit guarantee, as PayPal set up a direct debit with my bank initially.
    Result finally !
    If this happens again I will be really tempted to take PayPal to Court to clarify this situation. If sellers disappear or open a new account, PayPal knows who they are via their cards or address and should intervene to hold them to account for previously sold faulty items. Currently I believe they just don't give a toss.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 15th September 2019 at 09:58.

Could you not just pass the fees onto the buyer with an explanation if they want to use the PP option?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Could you not just pass the fees onto the buyer with an explanation if they want to use the PP option?
    No... it's illegal, I'll explain.

If the user uses a personal credit card to link to his paypal account then this is seen as putting on a credit card surcharge and those idiots at central government decided that wasn't fair! They seem to think the the card charges cost the business nothing! As it is all that happens is you end up spreading the charges between all your customer whether they use a credit card or not.... doesn't sound fair to me.

Blog Entries
    What you need to ask yourself is why do they want to pay with PayPal?

They obviously have credit or debit cards. So why?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    No... it's illegal, I'll explain.

If the user uses a personal credit card to link to his paypal account then this is seen as putting on a credit card surcharge and those idiots at central government decided that wasn't fair! They seem to think the the card charges cost the business nothing! As it is all that happens is you end up spreading the charges between all your customer whether they use a credit card or not.... doesn't sound fair to me.
    Ah, I wasn’t aware, thanks.
    J
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What you need to ask yourself is why do they want to pay with PayPal?

They obviously have credit or debit cards. So why?
    Yes exactly- that's why I was so suspicious. I think he had legit reasons as apparently they were offering something back but we declined and he paid via card.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd never accept PayPal through the firm. Who doesn't have a card these days?

Master
    Personally, if it's an online purchase I'll use paypal if the option is there - it's just so much easier. With a card I have to go and find said card. Also, nowadays there's this thing where you have to be texted a transaction pin code - if your card doesn't do it then it soon will be!! For a start I don't walk around with a phone in my pocket, plus no mobile signal at my house, and finally it's simply time wasting!

AS PP can and do anything they feel like, it wouldn't be a good business decision, you need to be in control of your cashflow.

Personally, if it's an online purchase I'll use paypal if the option is there - it's just so much easier. With a card I have to go and find said card. Also, nowadays there's this thing where you have to be texted a transaction pin code - if your card doesn't do it then it soon will be!! For a start I don't walk around with a phone in my pocket, plus no mobile signal at my house, and finally it's simply time wasting!
    I'm the opposite, better consumer protection when paying by credit card.

Master
    2 factor authentication is also available on PayPal and I’d encourage everyone to use it. It’s not about making life difficult and all about making transactions more secure.

there seems to be a new scan on paypal every week, and PayPal always seem to work for the buyer when these scams come your way, and it is super easy to trip up and lose the "seller protection" in my experience - online is probably safer, but I'm no fan of it when dealing F2F it is too prone to going wrong and just costs so much

however I also tend to lazily use it if there's the option when buying online as said above, it's just easier and with one-click I've checked out before I've thought about finding my wallet

I have a PayPal account linked to my Amex Cashback card.

If an online seller refuses to accept Amex directly, I simply switch to Paypal, which in turn charges my Amex.

I get cashback, and the seller is hit with a PP fee which is likely higher than the Amex fee they were keen to avoid !