closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch Dealers not accepting Debit cards

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    They don’t know you from Adam either and it’s an expensive watch they’re selling! Debit card payments over the phone aren’t covered in the event of a fraudulent purchase so they are doing the correct procedure. You asking to pay this method will only want them to sell you the watch less so.

It works both ways
    "I’ve even offered to drive the 6 hour round trip to pay with my card in person which also doesn’t seem acceptable"

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    "I’ve even offered to drive the 6 hour round trip to pay with my card in person which also doesn’t seem acceptable"
    That is odd, I missed that. I’m sure that would be acceptable, I see no reason whatsoever why a brick and mortar business would not accept payment via chip and pin in a face to face transaction.

Very unusual!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speedypro1111 View Post
    I’ve also been trying to sort out a card reader in the meantime to be able to pay with chip and pin?
    What do you mean by this? Chip and pin is where you pay at their card reader using your debit or credit card and your pin.

If you have a card reader at your house (presumably to log into online banking) it won't turn anything you do into a chip and pin transaction from the point of view of the payee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    Their loss.

Better to be safe than sorry.
    This. If the terms don't look/feel right then walking away is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    This sounds odd; but as others have said; if it doesn't feel right walk away. You could be very exposed if if the watch had an issue and there'd be none of the protection offered by your card company. You're right for your head to rule your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What do you mean by this? Chip and pin is where you pay at their card reader using your debit or credit card and your pin.

If you have a card reader at your house (presumably to log into online banking) it won't turn anything you do into a chip and pin transaction from the point of view of the payee.
    For my bank, I need to enter my card PIN into a reader, and then the reader gives me a confirmation code to authorise an online transfer. I assume that's what he means.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    For my bank, I need to enter my card PIN into a reader, and then the reader gives me a confirmation code to authorise an online transfer. I assume that's what he means.
    Yes, exactly, mine too.

It's just that this doesn't make a transaction so authorised into "chip and pin" transaction, as the term is usually used. If the vendor would like a "chip and pin" card transaction then the only way to do it is via their card terminal on their premises.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

Was speaking to NatWest on the phone about me setting up bank transfers
    I can only do upto £750 on the banking app
    My card is already chip and pin and I have a card reader at home
    They said something along the lines of going to settings and enable card reader and I could do bank transfer by doing this
    I can’t find this on the app which I just use my finger print to log into
    so they must mean logging on to online banking thru google
    either I’ve forgotten my password which is very possible or it’s not working to let me log in
    To be honest it’s all giving me a headache and I think I’ll just look for a Daytona or maybe even something else where I can just use my debit card with chip and pin
    Makes life much easier
    I was in Goldsmiths this morning to put my gmt master in for a bezel insert change
    And mentioned that I was trying to buy a Daytona but they would only accept bank transfer and not Debit card in shop
    Even they thought it strange...

Not a watch...but a car.

I got my daughter a car a few months ago...ended up paying 9 grand or so after the part ex...Im sure I paid them via bank transfer. I paid first a small deposit before viewing the car, then just transferred the rest when I went to view/buy the car.

Blog Entries
    Was speaking to NatWest on the phone about me setting up bank transfers
    I can only do upto £750 on the banking app
    My card is already chip and pin and I have a card reader at home
    They said something along the lines of going to settings and enable card reader and I could do bank transfer by doing this
    I can’t find this on the app which I just use my finger print to log into
    so they must mean logging on to online banking thru google
    either I’ve forgotten my password which is very possible or it’s not working to let me log in
    Ah, I see. I'm not with NatWest but my bank works the same way: Transfers done via the phone app have a low limit whereas transfers done via the online banking website can be much larger. The card reader is used (together with your card of course) to authorise transactions via the bank's online banking website. If they haven't already sent you a card reader then they will presumably send you one when you enable the card reader option on their website.

To be honest it’s all giving me a headache and I think I’ll just look for a Daytona or maybe even something else where I can just use my debit card with chip and pin
    Yup, just being able to pay using your debit card face to face has got to be easier. :-)

Craftsman
    Sounds like it could all be down to money laundering regulations that restrict cash payments, ( I believe that debit card transactions a treated as cash) found this on the net

The updates to money laundering regulations in the UK in 2017 brought in a number of changes to required practice. Some of the main changes are summarised here:

1. The maximum amount allowed for cash payments has been reduced from €15,000 to €10,000 (currently £8800) per transaction or ‘series of transactions’.

So if a client buys five items (at auction or from a dealer) “within a short period of time” with a combined value above €10,000, this would be considered to have exceeded the threshold.

Separate transactions settled at different times are generally not considered linked, but it is up to the business to establish whether the payments constitute ‘linked operations’.

Any business or sole trader wanting to make or accept cash payments above €10,000 must register as a ‘High Value Dealer’ – a status which carries additional responsibilities of due diligence (see number 3, below). Cash is defined as ‘notes, coins or travellers’ cheques in any currency’, but does not include bank transfers.

2. Dealers are required to conduct due diligence on buyers and sellers when transactions are made in cash over the threshold. Auctioneers are obliged to check the identity of buyers paying more than €10,000 in cash but, according to HMRC, do not need to perform due diligence on the vendor, as auctioneers are deemed to be acting as ‘middle men’.

3. When operating as a ‘High Value Dealer’, firms are expected to ensure buyers and sellers are not classified as ‘Politically Exposed People’ (PEPs).

Checks can be made via public registers, government websites and news resources, while external tracing agencies such as Smart Search and Callcredit conduct searches for a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    Their loss.

Better to be safe than sorry.
    Looking at it from the shops point of view I expect they think exactly the same.