closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New avant-garde ORIS 12-day sports watch

New avant-garde ORIS 12-day sports watch

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...e-pics-pricing

I think this looks tremendous... lofty price for the brand, but justified by plenty of actual horology and design. I love old divers but the article is right to point out that design should not be limited to 60s and 70s reissues...
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 5th September 2019 at 14:18.

Really like the look of that, very pretty indeed.

44mm but at least it's titanium. And $7.6k on bracelet. But it is a gorgeous bracelet.

It seems skeletonised watches are back in vogue. On the plus side they seem to be far more tasteful than when they were last in fashion. They’ve taken cues from AP in how to do it well. One id definitely like to see. Pricey though I guess not a surprise. Mid tier brands pushing up prices and this is at least novel.

I had the 111 for a while, it was amazing and superbly accurate. The moment is actually quite a lot smaller than I expected so perhaps they’ll do a smaller case in the future.

Skeleton not my thing at all, but that's actually better than most. Kudos to Oris, a novel and interesting move. Oris are why I fell in love with mechanical watches, I still have my first (an Oris XXL Reg), and I applaud their continued independence and family feel - I wish them well.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Imagine the price if that movement was made by one of the holy trinity.

I think ORIS are cracking value for money across the whole range.

Master
    As I have stated in other threads Oris is really doing some good stuff these days. I do not own one yet but I am really thinking about it.
    The price on this is not ‘cheap’ but you do get a lot for your money here (relatively). Will need to see one irl.

I’ve never liked skeleton or open-heart watches but this is beautiful. I think Oris is a fantastic brand and I wish them luck with this model.

stick a nice dial on it and it'll look great

Master
    Looks great, but for that sort of money, Id be opting for the Zenith Defy El Primero, even though its a bit dearer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    First time I've really liked the look of a skeletonised watch - probably helped by the idea it was designed to be seen from the start. Too pricey for me but hope it turns out to be a good move for Oris

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Not keen on skeleton watches at all.

This one is far too big for me and I think the price is ambitious to say the least!

If I was spending that sort of money there are several other brands I would be looking at instead.

Craftsman
    Again, not personally keen on skeletons but this is one of the better ones I’ve seen.

The case and bracelet with its seatbelt style buckle look drop dead gorgeous. First time I’ve seen a bracelet that is shaped and tapered in three dimensions.

Oris are just doing some fantastic watches at present. It’s expensive, but not that expensive, and could you imagine what it would cost if it’d been an Omega release...

Quoted from the Friday thread

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    Not actually mine, but I did get to wear it this afternoon for about 10 minutes!

Any further thoughts now you've had a hands-on again, Timor?

Master
    More ‘openworked’ than ‘skeleton’ I think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Quoted from the Friday thread

Any further thoughts now you've had a hands-on again, Timor?
    It was just a brief try on.

However, I was impressed. Firstly, I couldn’t get over how light it was, even with the bracelet I would guess that it possibly weighs about 50% of the Tudor North Flag I was wearing.

The build quality was excellent. Really nicely finished case and bracelet. I’ve no experience of titanium but it was finished in my opinion like high quality brushed stainless steel.

The mechanism is wonderful to look at. Fascinating to see the mainspring winding as you rotate the crown. The see through caseback appears to be smoked? It’s easier to see the movement from the front than the back.

The bracelet is lovely, I really like the tapered down side links and the seatbelt clasp works really well. Possibly my only criticism is how it width tapers back out at the clasp.

For it’s size it wears really well, feels slim and wraps nicely around my 7.25 inch wrist. All told it’s a spectacular achievement.

However, I’m rather obsessed about legibility and consequently have never previously given much thought to skeleton watches. Does this change my views? I’m not entirely sure, it’s clearly good, they have made a real effort on contrast between hands and (lack off) dial but personally I’m not 100% convinced about legibility, plus it’s pretty expensive...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like Oris watches,I have three but I really don’t like that.Each to their own.

The see through caseback appears to be smoked? It’s easier to see the movement from the front than the back.
    Oris have been really clever here - they have made the back of the glass on the bottom slightly reflective so that you don't see through the movement and look at your own hairy wrist from the front, which is a problem with loads of skeleton watches most people don't realise until they put them on!

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Oris have been really clever here - they have made the back of the glass on the bottom slightly reflective so that you don't see through the movement and look at your own hairy wrist from the front, which is a problem with loads of skeleton watches most people don't realise until they put them on!
    That is a very thoughtful move.

It was just a brief try on.

However, I was impressed. Firstly, I couldn’t get over how light it was, even with the bracelet I would guess that it possibly weighs about 50% of the Tudor North Flag I was wearing.

The build quality was excellent. Really nicely finished case and bracelet. I’ve no experience of titanium but it was finished in my opinion like high quality brushed stainless steel.

The mechanism is wonderful to look at. Fascinating to see the mainspring winding as you rotate the crown. The see through caseback appears to be smoked? It’s easier to see the movement from the front than the back.

The bracelet is lovely, I really like the tapered down side links and the seatbelt clasp works really well. Possibly my only criticism is how it width tapers back out at the clasp.

For it’s size it wears really well, feels slim and wraps nicely around my 7.25 inch wrist. All told it’s a spectacular achievement.

However, I’m rather obsessed about legibility and consequently have never previously given much thought to skeleton watches. Does this change my views? I’m not entirely sure, it’s clearly good, they have made a real effort on contrast between hands and (lack off) dial but personally I’m not 100% convinced about legibility, plus it’s pretty expensive...
    Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on it - it's a stunner, but as you say, not the most legible (or accessible!). I think I could get past the legibility simply because I'd be looking at the internals more than the time when wearing it.

Master
    I quite like it, but don't like the way the hands get lost in the mechanical gubbins. Maybe some sort of dark translucent dial to subdue the movement a bit in favour of the hands would work. Or bright yellow lume on the hands; that would make them pop a bit.