closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pond pump query

Master
    Blog Entries

Pond pump query

Our pond pump was installed about a year ago. Most of the time the pump jets water up about 6 a inches high but lately there have been several episodes lasting a couple of days when the jet has been around 2feet high. This has nothing to do with the filter which is clean. There hasn't been any obvious problem with the electricity supply and I'm at a loss to understand what is going on. A couple of pics below - thoughts welcome...

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Unless it is a DC pump it isn’t the supply, it probably needs cleaning out

If there are lots of vegetation around the pump this can effect the intake, it may occasionally get restricted then sort itself out, or air locks that work their way through to. Just some suggestions, I would be curious to know the cause to

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    seen this on our pump.

it depends upon whether the upward stream is being hit by the fall down of the stream - you follow? I've found if there is a slight breeze then the falling water misses the upward stream so it get's higher before gravity kicks in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the ideas all - I'll get it out of the water tomorrow and see how clean it is and whether there are any partial blockages.

Don’t just clear the blockage around the inlet, take the filter cover off and give the inside a rinse out, ours gets clogged up with silt, vegetation etc inside the grille that prevents vegetation ingress.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Power cut will do this, has done to mine lots of times, but I honestly can't figure out why...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Although it was working normally, I took it out and think I know what has been going on. There are two outputs - one for the fountain and one for, say, a UV filter or a waterfall. The size of the second output can be adjusted so that the height of the fountain can be varied. I don't have a UV filter or anything else connected to this second output, it just runs underwater in the pond. What I hadn't realised was that this second output is only open by a few millimeters and because the input filter is a plastic grill which can let small pieces of detritus through, I am pretty sure the surges in fountain height were due to small pieces of leaf or something temporarily blocking the second output.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions

ATB

Jon

That's a good size pond. Have you got any fish?
    Maybe we should start a 'Show us your ponds" thread

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    That's a good size pond. Have you got any fish?
    Maybe we should start a 'Show us your ponds" thread

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    It's about 12x15ft but around 1/3 is very shallow to allow wildlife to get in and out. I haven't put any fish in as I like the frogs and newts that have made it home and at my last house the fish ate all the frogspawn.