closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bikers: nice watch on your ride?

Bikers: nice watch on your ride?

Hi ladies and gents,

Just about to start a 3 day motorbike trip and obviously considering which watch I choose to take with me.

It occured to me that if I end up the 'wrong way up' I don't want to be wearing an expensive piece that may be damaged.

Do other bikers choose a cheaper watch for long trips or do you tend to use your daily wearers?

Thanks
    Oliver

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Hi ladies and gents,

Just about to start a 3 day motorbike trip and obviously considering which watch I choose to take with me.

It occured to me that if I end up the 'wrong way up' I don't want to be wearing an expensive piece that may be damaged.

Do other bikers choose a cheaper watch for long trips or do you tend to use your daily wearers?

Thanks
    Oliver

Usually none tbh.

My leather jacket and gloves are pretty tight round the wrist making a watch kind of a pain to wear.

I never wear a nice watch on my bike, I'd be more upset if I had an accident and smashed one of my favourite watches to pieces than the bike, sometimes chuck a GShock on or wear nothing as it's more comfortable under my jacket and gloves, got a clock on my dash. If I was going away touring I might be tempted to stuff a nice watch right in the middle of my luggage to wear out in the evenings though

Craftsman
    Cheapest Casio wrapped around the handlebars (if your awesome steed doesn't have a clock!) Cheers, John B4

For the commute I wear a nice watch as I'll be at work all day in it anyway but on trips I wear a Seiko, the g shocks are usually too big to be comfortable.

Craftsman
    My daily wearer is an Omega Seamaster so that normally gets worn. But it's not something I'd give a lot of thought to.

If I came off there would be lots of things going through my mind but which watch I was wearing would be pretty low on the list to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    My daily wearer is an Omega Seamaster so that normally gets worn. But it's not something I'd give a lot of thought to.

If I came off there would be lots of things going through my mind but which watch I was wearing would be pretty low on the list to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Of course, I'm not saying that I would be thinking about a watch during an accident, I'm saying that it is better to avoid a situation in which a watch is also damaged in the terrible event that there might be an accident and wondered if this is already a common thought amongst riders.

As it turns out, it is and I will not continue to wear my rolex, zenith, omega, etc on the bike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    Don't think that's the question here. No one is going to think "oh no, my Rolex!" mid-accident. It's more "I'm going out on the bike for a ride/trip/tour do I really want to wear my posh watch in case I come off and it's another 5k down the drain on top of the bike?"

I always wear what I happen to have put on that day. With my bike only worth about £1500 it's quite easy to be wearing a watch worth more than the bike!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I always wear what I happen to have put on that day. With my bike only worth about £1500 it's quite easy to be wearing a watch worth more than the bike!
    Same here, just whatever is already on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been knocked off twice whilst wearing a Rolex, neither time did I think about the watch!!!!
    2nd time I had a shotgun across my back, landed on it and bust my ribs.

I always wear one of my nicer watches when we go on 3-4 week bike tours across Europe. The are far too many health and safety observations these days; I don't know how most of us survived childhood lol
    It's just a matter of time...

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I have never given this much thought until now tbh. My main bike activity is a sunday blast with my mates. I have in the past wore my daily wearer, a GMT. However thinking about it now, I doubt i’ll continue to do so. My bike has a clock on the dash, and I have my phone when i’m stopped anywhere. Actually no need to risk a watch.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Whatever i choose to wear that day tends to stay on the wrist. Occasionally I’ll change to a G but that’s usually an afterthought if it happens.

Exactly my thinking...
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I have never given this much thought until now tbh. My main bike activity is a sunday blast with my mates. I have in the past wore my daily wearer, a GMT. However thinking about it now, I doubt i’ll continue to do so. My bike has a clock on the dash, and I have my phone when i’m stopped anywhere. Actually no need to risk a watch.

Stuart

Master
    Usually G-SHOCK for me... I’d be gutted if I dropped my bike, but double gutted if I damaged a more expensive watch as well 😱

Mike

Master
    Pretty much always wear my 36mm DJ. Fits under a glove just nice.

Had it on when I bumped into Cinnabull last week👍👍

Master
    I love my watches and bikes but just felt too restrictive wearing one on a bike

By the time I have a jacket and gloves on there's no space for a watch so none. On a hot summers day I'll often just wear a back protector and short gloves so whatever I'm wearing be it Rolex or Gshock as I really like and own both.
    I Enjoy bikes and watches so never really worry about it.

By the time I have a jacket and gloves on there's no space for a watch so none. On a hot summers day I'll often just wear a back protector and short gloves so whatever I'm wearing be it Rolex or Gshock as I really like and own both.
    I Enjoy bikes and watches so never really worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Pretty much always wear my 36mm DJ. Fits under a glove just nice.

Had it on when I bumped into Cinnabull last week

And very nice it was too Enoch. Are you out and about this weekend, weather permitting I may have a flirt to Barmouth via Bala.

Stuart

Master
    And very nice it was too Enoch. Are you out and about this weekend, weather permitting I may have a flirt to Barmouth via Bala.

Stuart
    BSB at Oulton on Sat, will probably have a trip out on Sun but no idea where to..🤪

If i’m out it will be Sunday anyway m8.

Stuart

Bikers: nice watch on your ride?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I have been knocked off twice whilst wearing a Rolex, neither time did I think about the watch!!!!
    2nd time I had a shotgun across my back, landed on it and bust my ribs.
    My initial thought was... he obviously belongs to a scooter gang and wears a stolen Rolex.... likely more worried about the plod chasing him than the watch!

Master
    Casio W736 or W800 or MWC Analog and dogtags - that's it .

No posh watches for me on the bike or pushbike.

B

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    My initial thought was... he obviously belongs to a scooter gang and wears a stolen Rolex.... likely more worried about the plod chasing him than the watch!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I love my watches and bikes but just felt too restrictive wearing one on a bike

Agree, I have exactly the same problem.

When I'm on the bike I use the clock on the dash and when I'm not I have my phone.

Master
    G10 on a NATO, nice and low under the cuff/gloves.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Until recently I had an SD4Kceramic which was my daily wearer - I never gave going out on my bike with it a second thought. I only took it off when using a brushcutter for hours as I wasn't sure the vibration was in its best interest.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JonRA; 6th September 2019 at 06:57.

just wear what you want , if you have an accident i can guarantee you wont be worrying about what watch you are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    just wear what you want , if you have an accident i can guarantee you wont be worrying about what watch you are wearing.
    Very good point.
    Think less about crashing, more about enjoying the ride.

Unless, god forbid, you trash a very expensive timepiece. You may be thinking about it then, albeit after the accident is over and you’re at home wondering if your insurance will pay.

Stuart

Unless, god forbid, you trash a very expensive timepiece. You may be thinking about it then, albeit after the accident is over and you’re at home wondering if your insurance will pay.

Stuart

my own view is if you are worried about losing money on something you should not have bought it in the first place - its just an item .

SKX007 on a nato. When on European tours it’s nice to know,what day it is, I can change to a different nato when out at night and it’s robust.

I only own one watch, so I wear that one.

Craftsman
    One of the guys from work came in about 6 months ago having fallen off his bike, he was wearing a SubC at the time and scrapped the watch face down along the tarmac...it looked a right mess!

Casio F-91W on the Yamaha YBR125
    Stowa Flieger on the BMW R65RS
    TAG Heuer 1000M Super Pro on the BMW R80RT
    Smiths Everest on the Triumph Street Scrambler
    Braun BN0106 on the BMW R1200R Sport
    Omega Speedmaster on the Kawasaki H2

Not a perfect match but works for me.

Good point though; I need to buy more bikes to match up the watch collection else some of them will never get to enjoy the thrill of the wind in their spring bars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Casio W736 or W800 or MWC Analog and dogtags - that's it .

No posh watches for me on the bike or pushbike.

B

As I said in my post I ride with only those watches mentioned :-(

Went out for a ride today with the MWC on; it was on an RAF style NATO - lots of stops and calls and when I got back; took off the leather and felt a bit naked - Bye bye MWC - shame really it was an excellent timekeeper but the dial lume was a bit poor .............Sigh !

C'est la vie.

B

my own view is if you are worried about losing money on something you should not have bought it in the first place - its just an item .
    I take it you have no house insurance then?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    His bike insurance must be third party only.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    i'd say theres a big difference between a watch and a house ,one is a luxury and one is not - though feel free to make other wide margin comparisons.

* i have fully comp bike insurance because its illegal not to (im at the age where fully comp and third party are pretty much the same cost- infact third party quote have been more expensive in some cases ) , if i decided to wear an expensive watch on my bike i'd make sure that was insured as well if i was worried about losing / breaking it .

i'd say theres a big difference between a watch and a house ,one is a luxury and one is not - though feel free to make other wide margin comparisons.

* i have fully comp bike insurance because its illegal not to (im at the age where fully comp and third party are pretty much the same cost- infact third party quote have been more expensive in some cases ) , if i decided to wear an expensive watch on my bike i'd make sure that was insured as well if i was worried about losing / breaking it .

I think you'll find Millions of people throughout the world consider a house quite a luxury as well.

Whichever one I’m wearing that day is the simple answer. Never worried about damaging them as I don’t dwell on the chances of falling off...

My friend came off at high speed badly breaking his wrist. His Rolex survived but I remember having to remove it at the roadside as his wrist swelled up like a balloon. I try not to wear a watch anymore on a bike also find it tricky under jacket anyway so just drop it in my bag mostly.