closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New washing machine. Pref Miele

Blog Entries

New washing machine. Pref Miele

Our Miele has given up. One of the shock mounts has sheared off! No chance of changing of repairing that easily.

I'm looking for a new Miele. Any suggestions? It has been a while since I checked the product pages of washing machines. A lot has happened... I don't want Miele's own washing liquid pods; my youngest has sensitive skin and a wrong washing liquid can cause a lot of itching!

Are there any suggestions / features that come in handy before I fork out a large sum?

Menno

UPDATE: while writing this, I tried one last spinning cycle of 7 mins just to get the last of the clothing dry enough for the dryer. The noise was terrible so I cut it short after one minute. Not a minute too soon... when I opened the door, smoke was coming out! The freshly washed clothing now smells like it's been washed in a BBQ!

So, yes it's knackered.
    Last edited by thieuster; 4th September 2019 at 16:55.

I have a Miele washer and a Miele dryer. Both take Miele things that I've never used.

For the washer, we just chuck the detergent in the front as normal.

Still recommended.

Master
    Take out a subscription to Which. You can take out a trial period at no cost.

They do excellent detailed and methodical reviews of washing machines and dishwashers and generally Miele come out on top with Bosch and Samsung snapping at their heels.

Someone coming here saying "I am pleased with my Miele Model xyz123 is meaningless. You need a comparison with other models to determine if it really is the best one for you.

Most libraries have Which magazine for a good few years back. I used to visit ours when looking for new white goods. Luckily the mother in law has a subscription so just looks at hers now!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The exact same thing happened to my 3 year old Hotpoint machine recently. They put on a repair kit (looked like Meccano) whilst waiting for a new outer ‘shell’ and replaced the whole thing under warranty. Having watched them carry out the repair, I could have done it myself and I’m not really sure why they bothered replacing it - the fix looked stronger than the initial part. Apparently it’s not that unusual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Samsung is brilliant for me. Bought from JL.

My original Miele washing machine was replaced after 18 years with another Miele WMB120. This is without the twin dos malarkey and I think came with a 10 year warranty.

New LG for me. Got it few weeks ago Impressed so far

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    New Samsung is brilliant for me. Bought from JL.
    We always went Bosch or Siemens, not now the Samsung adwash has blown them away.
    18 months old gets used most days & still looks like new in all the right places.

Master
    My Bosch machine gave up about 10 days ago
    Drum stopped turning
    Called the Bosch engineer out (I was out when he came) and he took 5 mins to say it needs a new motor but that would be near £300 fitted and that a new machine wasn't far off that.
    Decided to change the brushes in the motor at the weekend there but to no avail it still wouldn't go.
    Went for another Bosch as Ive always had decent experiences with their stuff-also got my engineer call out(£99) refunded for brand loyalty.
    All things being equal I would have chosen Miele but it wasn't an outlay I felt like stomaching at the moment so for me Bosch is next in line.
    New machine delivered today from John Lewis-£400

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    My Bosch machine gave up about 10 days ago
    Drum stopped turning
    Called the Bosch engineer out (I was out when he came) and he took 5 mins to say it needs a new motor but that would be near £300 fitted and that a new machine wasn't far off that.
    Decided to change the brushes in the motor at the weekend there but to no avail it still wouldn't go.
    Went for another Bosch as Ive always had decent experiences with their stuff-also got my engineer call out(£99) refunded for brand loyalty.
    All things being equal I would have chosen Miele but it wasn't an outlay I felt like stomaching at the moment so for me Bosch is next in line.
    New machine delivered today from John Lewis-£400
    Never heard of that? Who gave the refund, JL via price reduction or Bosch?

Sorry Thieuster, can't specifically recommend a particular Miele - used to work with white goods many years ago when Miele were the Rolls Royce for reliability/longevity, but Bosch were better vfm. That said Bosch are no longer as top notch as they used to be imo.
    Last edited by Suds; 4th September 2019 at 21:00.

Gotta smile at Suds replying on a washing machine thread.
    We have a Bosch, about 800 quid and it's not missed a beat and is whisper quiet too. (so the wife says...)

We went Neff this time - no issues 2 years in.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I'd gone to the Miele experience centre when we bought ours last year (we were buying all appliances for a new house). The sweet spot in the range is where they start doing the 'quick power wash' as one of the washing cycles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Our Miele has given up. One of the shock mounts has sheared off! No chance of changing of repairing that easily.

I'm looking for a new Miele. Any suggestions? It has been a while since I checked the product pages of washing machines. A lot has happened... I don't want Miele's own washing liquid pods; my youngest has sensitive skin and a wrong washing liquid can cause a lot of itching!

Are there any suggestions / features that come in handy before I fork out a large sum?

Menno

UPDATE: while writing this, I tried one last spinning cycle of 7 mins just to get the last of the clothing dry enough for the dryer. The noise was terrible so I cut it short after one minute. Not a minute too soon... when I opened the door, smoke was coming out! The freshly washed clothing now smells like it's been washed in a BBQ!

So, yes it's knackered.
    You prefer Miele, so buy a Miele. Simple.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Gotta smile at Suds replying on a washing machine thread.)
    Like I said din I, used to be in the business. But I'm all washed out now. Bloody Germans.... Making stuff that lasts.

Master
    Bought a Whirlpool in February it broke it July it took seven weeks and several appointments before it was exchanged, shocking service.
    I've vowed never to buy a Hotpoint or Whirlpool product ever again after the experience we've had.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Like I said din I, used to be in the business.
    I missed that, sorry

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Never heard of that? Who gave the refund, JL via price reduction or Bosch?

Sorry Thieuster, can't specifically recommend a particular Miele - used to work with white goods many years ago when Miele were the Rolls Royce for reliability/longevity, but Bosch were better vfm. That said Bosch are no longer as top notch as they used to be imo.
    It was the Bosch service side of things as I complained that the guy didn't even attempt a fix on it.

On another note after connecting the washing machine up this evening I noticed "made in Poland" on it.
    Slightly pissed at that as I thought the model I was buying was made in Germany but not sending it back now.
    Last edited by Hood; 5th September 2019 at 00:18.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You prefer Miele, so buy a Miele. Simple.
    Think which one is the question!

Craftsman
    We have a Siemens had it around 16 years and does great. Think it was around 700 even back then.

So probably 400 now and made of plastic. Progress I guess

Master
    Samsung are offering 5 year parts and labour warranty these days, for a machine costing around £400.

A great option for those not wanting the outlay of a Miele etc

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    We always went Bosch or Siemens, not now the Samsung adwash has blown them away.
    18 months old gets used most days & still looks like new in all the right places.
    Ours is the adwash. Mrs Rod loves that bubblewash tech. Aldi non bio liquid and it's whiter than a white thing😁

Used to have a Bosch but it broke when we were on holiday last year and the kids purchased a machine starting with A, that’s all I know and remember.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Used to have a Bosch but it broke when we were on holiday last year and the kids purchased a machine starting with A, that’s all I know and remember.
    AEG?

Master
    A friend swears by LG washing machines so when our Bosch door broke we bought one (the bosch cost us £75 (iirc) 2nd hand and lasted 5 years with us so owed us nothing).
    The LG is silent, has a massive capacity and washes clothes really well. Hopefully it'll be as reliable as my friends who's must be approaching a decade old now.

My mum's first LG lasted 15 years, second one is still going now .

My one is 6 years plus, Sisters is 7 years plus, mate's is 10 years plus.

The bought them all on the back of my recommendation. Twenty years ago for my sins i worked in Currys on the weekend when I was at uni. A rare thing but one of the salesman was extremely knowledgable and he talked me through how good they were and the Direct Drive drums and large capacity etc.

Wouldn't consider anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    AEG?
    As the Germans would say...

Auspacken, Einschalten, Geht nicht.

Blog Entries
    Well. Decided: a Miele again. When I talked to my wife about the washing machine in flames, she only asked: "How old is the dryer? Didn't we buy them together?" We did, so she sat down and ordered a new Miele washing machine and dryer + 10 yrs warranty. Both will be delivered next Sunday. (Brilliant service by AO, like they did with our fridge a few years back).

Don't ask me which types/models.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I'd gone to the Miele experience centre when we bought ours last year (we were buying all appliances for a new house). The sweet spot in the range is where they start doing the 'quick power wash' as one of the washing cycles
    Absolutely agree with that. Do make sure it has the Quick Power Wash or you'll find every cycle takes 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    As the Germans would say...

Auspacken, Einschalten, Geht nicht.
    Excellent. Who said Germans lacked a sense of humour
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by SamGreen View Post
    My mum use some of the whirlpool washing machine model and she liked it. This washing machine have easy service and security level (unfortunately i can't remember a model of it), so i don't need to worry about her in that case. I believe my mother's experiance, so i can recommed whirlpool washing machines. :)

I have small house and i had to use portable washing machine, couse my bathroom is small too. I use Costway (i have found interestng comparative article about portable washing machines, so if you also have small flat or hause i hope it helps) and, you know, it's good enough. It copes good with weekly loundry (family of three people).

My brother recentley have bought Miele WDB 020. As far as i rememered, he said that рe's quite content with that model. One of the nice things that is Outerwear programme, which is for treating hi-tec clothing like Gortex, Sympatex, and Windstopper, jackets and trousers, walking, mountain and ski gear or like he walking the dogs gear. He told me more, but i really can't remember...
    All very good, but you are you bumping a 5 month old thread on washing machines! I’m sure the Op will have bought a new one by now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We buy cheap <£300 and they do a great job. Currently have a Beko. Uncannily they seem to last almost exactly 5 years & then pack up. Never buy extra warranty. Then we buy a new one as they're not worth repairing. Have the old one taken away for recycling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Ours is the adwash. Mrs Rod loves that bubblewash tech. Aldi non bio liquid and it's whiter than a white thing
    We have had that Samsung for a couple of years now but have never got around to trying the bubblewash.

Does anybody seriously use anything apart from the quickest 40 degree wash? That’s all we ever use on our AEG. In fact I wish there was a shortcut button to select that wash instead of having to press a few button to get to the wash program we wash.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    We buy cheap <£300 and they do a great job. Currently have a Beko. Uncannily they seem to last almost exactly 5 years & then pack up. Never buy extra warranty. Then we buy a new one as they're not worth repairing. Have the old one taken away for recycling
    I have a Miele washer dryer, its just coming up for its twentieth birthday (thinking about it, it's out lasted two wives) it has never missed beat, it is virtually silent, it cost £1200, I would buy another one without hesitation, it literally is fit and forget.

Journeyman
    I’ve had a Bosch for the last 8 years has not let me down. The three best buys according to Which magazine are LG,SIEMENS & BOSCH

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Cluedoh View Post
    I’ve had a Bosch for the last 8 years has not let me down. The three best buys according to Which magazine are LG,SIEMENS & BOSCH

I wouldn't trust Which as far as I could throw them, they are a business, manufacturers have to pay to be included in their best buy comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    All very good, but you are you bumping a 5 month old thread on washing machines! I’m sure the Op will have bought a new one by now.
    How else is the poor guy supposed to get his post count up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Does anybody seriously use anything apart from the quickest 40 degree wash? That’s all we ever use on our AEG. In fact I wish there was a shortcut button to select that wash instead of having to press a few button to get to the wash program we wash.
    Bedding, Towels and Underwear should be washed at 60 degrees to kill bacteria properly.

Do a 90 degree wash with Whites once a month to property clean the washing machine as well

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    We buy cheap <£300 and they do a great job. Currently have a Beko.
    Last machine was a Beko, did the job well for 16 years - decided to leave it behind when we moved house last month (we sold to a single, male, first time buyer - he was grateful of a free machine therefore, even if elderly) and it was still going strong, albeit making more of a racket of late.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    We have had that Samsung for a couple of years now but have never got around to trying the bubblewash.
    Just bought a Samsung to replace the Beko. Amusing to compare the Beko's plasticky & cheap door closure feel with the Samsung, which closes reassuringly, a bit like a German-made car door. Sold on brushless, 5 year Warranty & 'made in South Korea'. Quite sceptical of 'bubblewash' - just sounds like a bog-standard long pre-soak. I expect the cheery tune it plays on completion may need muted in time.

Master
    Just bought a new Miele with a 10 year warranty. So no worries for a long while.

Craftsman
    I think Meile are a good choice. My washing machine was bought 1996, my tumble dryer the same year and the dishwasher the year before. All still doing what they do. Compared to other makes these really are cheap considering their life.