closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future plans

Future plans

Back in 2009 I considered bringing back earlier Time Factors models, in particular the original Dreadnought PRS-2. As this was a limited edition, I struggled with the ethics of making more and so I shelved the idea.

Because of the enforced "holiday" following my recent surgery, my thoughts once again returned to reviving earlier models. I decided that any models I did revive would have significant differences and also a new identity. These watches would have the original branding but would also carry a different brand as well so that there could be no confusion. They will also have a different model designation.

I currently have 3 models on the list for the initial launch and a couple more for later release if it works out.

DREADNOUGHT PRS-2

Firstly, it won't be a PRS-2. I propose 38mm excluding crown and based on the Dreadought Voyager design but without the GMT complication. 300 metres water resistance so that the thickness is proportionate to the smaller size and fitted with the Miyota 9015 to help keep the thickness down.

SMITHS "WILLARD" PRS-68

Again, this won't be a PRS-68 but will still carry the Smiths branding on the dial, along with another brand name. This has to be 40mm in order to keep the date because ther's quite a lot of case outside the dial area (the PRS-68 was 44.5mm). Seiko NE15 and fitted with a jubilee bracelet.

SPEEDBIRD III

Basically the same as the current model but in 36mm and fitted with the Miyota 9015. 36mm watches have proved very popular recently and I think it's a good size for a unisex model.

Another one I'm working on to follow these is the Czech Airforce in 38mm, fitted with the Sellita 216, hand winding with small seconds. Still some work to be done to work out how to do the rotating pointer bezel. I'm rather keen to do this version as well as the black dial.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thanks for the update
    The PRS68 and especially the Czech airforce would both be on the want list. I missed both first time around

(As well as the Jenny homage)

And I was wondering whether your sabbatical would convince you to retire!

Great to see you back and some interesting projects on the horizon :)

Good to hear that you're keeping the little grey cells active the 'Dreadnought' sounds interesting, as an aside are you going to progress any of the diving watches you had in mind earlier this year?
    Ps take it easy don't push yourself too hard.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    SPEEDBIRD III

Basically the same as the current model but in 36mm and fitted with the Miyota 9015. 36mm watches have proved very popular recently and I think it's a good size for a unisex model.

Another one I'm working on to follow these is the Czech Airforce in 38mm, fitted with the Sellita 216, hand winding with small seconds. Still some work to be done to work out how to do the rotating pointer bezel. I'm rather keen to do this version as well as the black dial.

Eddie
    If the Speedbird 36mm is a proper MK 11 homage I'll buy it instantly. Also interested in the Czech Airforce watch. I think it's one of the most interesting watches you ever made.

Master
    Eddie,
    Can l ask what are your plans regarding the Caribbean are?, will it be moving from a concept to a project at anytime in the near future?
    Bob.

The Caribbean and the PRS-3 are still very much live, they're just not next.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Prs-2 will be a candy,maybe a chance for 39mm/20mm?

I like the sound of all of those. It will interesting to see the 'Willard' as a 40mm version.

Good to you back in the saddle Eddie

Glad to hear the Caribbean is still somewhere in the Platts pipeline.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Great idea! Interested in the revised/revisited PRS-2 and PRS-68. Missed the PRS 68 first time round, spent too long thinking about it.

Missed the PRS -2 completely as was before my time.

Craftsman
    The Caribbean and the PRS-3 are still very much live, they're just not next.

Eddie
    Glad you're back Eddie, the speedbird sounds great

What is next the new Everest models?

Is there any time frame for the PRS-3?

SPEEDBIRD III

Basically the same as the current model but in 36mm and fitted with the Miyota 9015.
    Definitely. Do this one first! You know it makes sense...

I think all of those sound pretty viable. I do wonder how the Dreadnought design will work at the smaller size, though. (I've handled a couple of DNs over the years and they're fabulous, chunky things. I just wish I liked plongeur hands!) The 68 and CAF are two of my favourite of your models, and both of mine are here to stay.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Regards brands and naming have you considered having all future watches under one brand name such as Smiths?

To build some consistency in the the watches you produce from packaging to case backs.

Banned
    Great idea for the 68. Happy the PRS-3 is still going to be made.

My most wanted are...

PPS-18Q loaded with that new super lume. Maybe matte ceramic bezel. Polished case option.

PRS-14 possibly with sapphire crystal and sapphire bezel insert.

PRS-10 38mm not including crown.

And after all that maybe an SKX007 homage!
    Last edited by James_; 4th September 2019 at 19:30.

I am also pining for a PRS-3. It'd make an excellent companion for the PRS-10.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Glad to hear the Caribbean is still somewhere in the Platts pipeline.
    + 2

Master
    The 36mm Speedbird III sounds fantastic.

Craftsman
    I have the current Dreadnought PRS 2, i do like the idea of loosing the GMT hand, but wonder if 38 will be a little small for a diver... i'd also prefer an ETA movement in keeping with the older models

And, nice to see you back Eddie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    I...wonder if 38 will be a little small for a diver...
    Nope. At least not on my 7” wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    i like that rather a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Nope. At least not on my 7” wrist.

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    SPEEDBIRD III

Had the 39mm GMT but it was just a little too large for me - really interested in this, although would a Sellita rather than a Miyota movement be a possible option?

Apprentice
    I'd be in line for the Czech Air Force watch in 38 mm, very likely the black dial version but the white also looks lovely.

All 3 suggestions appeal to me, the dreadnaught was the watch that led me here and I was more than a little disappointed that it was too big for my wrists, so a smaller version would be the end of decade long hankering.

Could all get very expensive because the Caribbean will be bought when it comes out....and the white dialled Everest looks very stylish. Hmmm

From my own point of view, I look forward to a smaller Dreadnought (who wouldn't) and the same is certainly true of the Speedbird, taking it closer to the Mk series from which it gets its inspiration. And the re-boot of the Czech Lemania/Longines type watch ia very welcome.
    But the 68 was always an outlier for me, and I cannot say I anticipate its return very much. For some reason it always seemed slightly jarring to see the Smiths name and logo on a relatively modern Seiko hommage. I freely admit that this is my attitude, rather than any fault with the watch, but there it is.

But I would also like to encourage our host to concentrate on the New Everest, the Caribbean and the new coloured PRS3 (PVD case with blue looks just awesome), before he switches onto these ones. Please Eddie........

Dave

Speedbird III in 36mm with date at 3 o’clock would be my first choice - as long as the lugs aren’t too long.

38mm Dreadnought sounds fun too.

Good to have you back Eddie.

Blog Entries
    Some interesting stuff, but that PRS68 follow up really has my interest, I was late at that party and missed out.

Miyota is great, reliable and long running without a service, as is the Seiko (NE15).

Glad you are in "work" modus again Eddie.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    A 36mm Speedbird would be terrific--I'd be up in the early hours to order one.

And welcome back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    But I would also like to encourage our host to concentrate on the New Everest, the Caribbean and the new coloured PRS3 (PVD case with blue looks just awesome), before he switches onto these ones. Please Eddie........

Dave
    Seconded. selfishly I want the new Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Regards brands and naming have you considered having all future watches under one brand name such as Smiths?

To build some consistency in the the watches you produce from packaging to case backs.
    I think that’s a good idea.

The 'Baby Dreadnought' (especially) sounds interesting.

It will be intriguing to see how the design is transposed to a smaller watch, but I'm sure it'll be a successful transition.

I will follow with interest.

M

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

That's not a plan, it would mean throwing away Dreadnought, Speedbird and Precista, which are all pretty well established.

Eddie

Hi Eddie, first of all: it is a good sign you're thinking about new watches again.

A sign you're getting better!

I would love a 38-39 mm Dreadnought.
    Ideally with 300m WR. My problem with the original is that, although I love the design (handled one years ago at the Rikketik fair in the Netherlands, chap owned it and showed it), but it is just too big for me (1.78m and 64 kg).

Perhaps you could think about an interchangeable bezel, so we can change between 2nd timezone and dive bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    But the 68 was always an outlier for me, and I cannot say I anticipate its return very much. For some reason it always seemed slightly jarring to see the Smiths name and logo on a relatively modern Seiko hommage. I freely admit that this is my attitude, rather than any fault with the watch, but there it is.
    Dave
    I completely agree with this. The PRS68 jarred for me not only because it sat uncomfortably with where I thought the strengths of the Timefactors lay: it seemed very odd for a British company to be producing a Smiths-branded homage to a very Japanese diver's watch. But also (and I'm being frank here), aside from the case, I thought the execution deeply flawed. The dial, hands and bezel insert appeared to have been modeled in the style of the dodgy third party parts that plagued so many 6105's that had been 'restored' by backstreet Philippine eBay sellers in the late noughties. I would encourage Eddie to shelve any plans for a 68 revival but if a smaller version remains on the cards, then why not model it around the first 6105 (i.e. the one that was actually produced from 1968 and not the one that appeared in 1970).

i.e This one:

rather than this one:

The earlier model (6105-8000) has a 40mm case already and there would be no peril associated with down-scaling what was deliberately intended to be an expansive cushion case in the later 6105-8110. In spite of all that, I still don't think it's a good idea!

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 5th September 2019 at 14:03.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I completely agree with this. The PRS68 jarred for me not only because it sat uncomfortably with where I thought the strengths of the Timefactors lay: it seemed very odd for a British company to be producing a Smiths-branded homage to a very Japanese diver's watch. But also (and I'm being frank here), aside from the case, I thought the execution deeply flawed. The dial, hands and bezel insert appeared to have been modeled in the style of the dodgy third party parts that plagued so many 6105's that had been 'restored' by backstreet Philippine eBay sellers in the late noughties. I would encourage Eddie to shelve any plans for a 68 revival but if a smaller version remains on the cards, then why not model it around the first 6105 (i.e. the one that was actually produced from 1968 and not the one that appeared in 1970).

i.e This one:

rather than this one:

The earlier model (6105-8000) has a 40mm case already and there would be no peril associated with down-scaling what was deliberately intended to be an expansive cushion case in the later 6105-8110. In spite of all that, I still don't think it's a good idea!

Martin
    It sold very strongly and barely a week goes by without being asked if I still have any.

Eddie

Master
    The "Baby-Dreadnought" will be a winner!

Craftsman
    PRS-68 for me please!!!

I would love to see a mechanical PRS-5 again. I really should have bought one when you made it way back. I dithered too long.

Blog Entries
    Have you ever considered a hardened case Eddie? Or would there be no interest in that because of the higher price?
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 5th September 2019 at 21:40.

Future plans

Anything in the 36-38mm range works really well for me and my tiny wrists, so a mini-dreadnought could be very interesting indeed.

Your thoughts on the smaller 36mm size appealing to the unisex market are spot on. My wife ‘shares’ my Everest quite regularly and it suits her remarkably well.

Glad to hear you’re thinking about next steps after your recent enforced sabbatical too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A definite "yes" from me on the PRS-68. I recommend the center bracelet rows be brushed to match the outer rows, and the watch case.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Speedbird III in 36mm with date at 3 o’clock would be my first choice - as long as the lugs aren’t too long.

38mm Dreadnought sounds fun too.

Good to have you back Eddie.
    Seconded

38mm Voyager sans GMT would have me reaching for my wallet.

Craftsman
    As PRS-68 in the 6105-8000 style would be a must have

I regret selling my original

The very essence of a Dreadnought/Voyager is that it's a big, tough brute of a watch. Leave well alone IMHO, it wont work in a weeny, slim 38mm size.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The very essence of a Dreadnought/Voyager is that it's a big, tough brute of a watch. Leave well alone IMHO, it wont work in a weeny, slim 38mm size.
    +1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Anything in the 36-38mm range works really well for me and my tiny wrists, so a mini-dreadnought could be very interesting indeed.

Your thoughts on the smaller 36mm size appealing to the unisex market are spot on. My wife ‘shares’ my Everest quite regularly and it suits her remarkably well.

Glad to hear you’re thinking about next steps after your recent enforced sabbatical too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'd have to agree with all of that.

Eddie,

Any word on when the white Everest will go on sale?

Quote Originally Posted by NyCSnEaK View Post
    Eddie,

Any word on when the white Everest will go on sale?
    Mid-late October.

Eddie