closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Glasgow and South West Scotland

Glasgow and South West Scotland

This time next week I'll be on Islay for a few days, after which I'll be staying just outside Oban for 4 days and then on to Glasgow for a few more. I've got Islay pretty much covered for things to do already (that'll be all things whisky related!) and have ideas for the following stops however I'm still interested in hearing about ideas from others, for example places of historical importance, beaches/views, museums/exhibitions and general day and night-time entertainment. I'm not exactly much of a hiker however I'd consider something maybe an hour or two in duration.

I'll be on my tod so no need to recommend any, for example, romantic restaurants and when I'm in central Glasgow the car will be parked up for the duration of my stay. I'll also be taking my camera with me and hope to make the most of it.

Cheers
    Last edited by CardShark; 2nd September 2019 at 23:45.

Not been but heard the Riverside transport museum's good; it's central and on the Clyde so plenty to photograph on the way there.

Master
    Kelvingrove art gallery is a great few hours - only 1 mile west of the city centre. There's a Van Gogh, Cezanne and Dali there, as well as lots of natural history displays. Beautiful building too.

Craftsman
    If you are in Oban I would highly recommend a wee trip to Easdale which is a very small island off the coast of Seil, about half an hour south of Oban.

This area is known as the Slate Islands which, funnily enough, has a long history of slate quarries.

Not a whole lot to do and it will only take a few hours but if you are a keen photographer you will get some cracking pictures down there and our kids loved it.

You'll also cross the Clachan Bridge which is one of the only bridges in the world to span the Atlantic Ocean!

Another thumbs up for the Kelvingrove art gallery ...opposite the main entrance is Mother Indias café...a fabulous tapas style curry house that you must visit...then a stroll along the river Kelvin towards the Botanic gardens is nice...or head up the west end (Byres road/Ashton Lane) nearby for some cracking pubs

People's Palace on Glasgow Green.

Master

Friend of mine has a couple of great places up North of Oban towards Glencoe
    In a lovely little place called Appin about 20 mins from Oban but well worth a visit.
    His bar is called “the old inn” and has 5star tripadvisor ratings
    Amazing food(has a josper grill for the steaks),whisky bar and great views over the water to Castle Stalker(in the pic)
    His wife runs a cafe/gift shop(again great food) which is a couple of hundred yards away with amazing views over the Loch.

Regards Glasgow It’s not in the same league as Edinburgh for touristy stuff and the line”people make Glasgow “ is about right.
    Along with other suggestions worth wandering around the merchant city and seeing some of the old spots around there and also up the West End.
    As regards Indian restaurants I don’t think Mother India has been bettered as yet.
    I think you could pretty much cover Glasgow in 2 days tbh.
    One other thing of note is if you are coming off the ferry from Islay at Kennacraig then Campbeltown is only 30 mins away and should be a must on any whisky buffs list.

I highly recommend the Tenement House - it was absolutely fascinating.

As an aside I love Glasgow, what a brilliant city much prefer it to Edinburgh.

Some great suggestions, thank you. I can't remember the programme however I know that I've seen the "Slate Islands" on TV, looking forward to visiting them now!

Go into city centre via underground or train (Central or Queen Street), visit George Square, Glasgow’s Main Civic space with amazing architecture of City Chambers. Around sides and back (John Street and Montrose Street) are where movies like Planet Z, Fast 7 and Hobbs and Shaw were filmed.

Short walk from George Square down Queen Street to Royal Exchange Square where you’ll find the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art, plus the famous Duke of Wellington statue with the traffic cone on its head (its Glasgow’s most famous landmark, you can’t come to Glasgow and *not* see it).

Stroll past the Legendary Rogano Art Deco seafood cafe behind the museum (pop in if you’re feeling flush) and go onto Buchanan Street, Glasgow’s most upmarket pedestrian shopping street. Head down the street towards St Enoch Square and on your left is Princess Square an upmarket mall, and the Argyll arcade, Glasgow’s watch mecca.

Walk back up Buchanan Street, turn left onto Gordon Street, then a quick right/left into Drury Lane to find the Horseshoe Bar. Longest bar in Europe and a great, traditional Glasgow pub. Have a hauf and a hauf, traditional Glasgow drink combo of a half pint of heavy and a large whisky. Crawl back to either Central Station or Buchanan Street underground afterwards.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by MattMM; 4th September 2019 at 19:23.

+1 for Rogano. It’s very good.

If you’re looking for good food much cheaper then Di Maggios is on the same side as Rogano back toward the GOMA.

In Glasgow just go to the Pot Still whisky pub. Forget the rest of the city. Job done!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    In Glasgow just go to the Pot Still whisky pub. Forget the rest of the city. Job done!
    Spent last Christmas night out on there. V original and unpretentious drinking hole.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk