TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got “the call”

Craftsman
    Real nice watch you got there hope you enjoy it for the years to come

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Rather defeats the object of the ‘contract’ if you can flip it back to the AD!!

”Leave the stickers on - I’ll take £15,000! Keep the watch and just give me the profit.”

Nice to see this watch has gone to someone who wants it in the OP’s case.
    Laings have been great supplying me Rolex sports and I've been happy to sign the contracts. Also haven't flipped one in them yet!

Master
    Blog Entries
    At the risk of sounding disingenuous should we announce all calls and purchases or is it just Rolex?

FYI I got a call from an AD in Cheltenham about an Omega he had got in but I didn’t buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    At the risk of sounding disingenuous should we announce all calls and purchases or is it just Rolex?

FYI I got a call from an AD in Cheltenham about an Omega he had got in but I didn’t buy it.
    Not for Omega unless you particularly want to do a post on it.

It’s nice to hear about the Rolex ones as many of us are on lists and it’s good to hear people’s experiences.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Not for Omega unless you particularly want to do a post on it.

It’s nice to hear about the Rolex ones as many of us are on lists and it’s good to hear people’s experiences.
    How so,all I see is the same repetitive theme with little or no variations.

I see nothing about watches it seems to be about money and values, may as well talk about the gold reserve no?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    It is a lovely piece of metal but seriously, having to listen to another adult setting out those terms and then, as another adult, signing for them? It's like some worldwide torture scene, with Rolex applying increasingly degrading techniques and looking down 'its' nose whilst the purchasing public fall over themselves to make the purchase at any cost to their dignity.
    Amen

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Just go back in next week, tell them you sold it to WF for a 3k profit and rip up their Special contract in front of them.
    They’d probably ask why you sold it so cheaply!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Laings have been great supplying me Rolex sports and I've been happy to sign the contracts. Also haven't flipped one in them yet!
    Anyone who wants a watch to keep would just swallow it - I would. It’s a daft situation but hardly the end of the world and, in theory, it’s part of a process that increases the chance of getting the watch. In practice, once some people have lots of £ waved in front of their eyes, they’ll happily ignore whatever commitments they’ve given.

Craftsman
    Jeez, some of you guys! Give something to get something.

You want a watch that has a market valve of £thousands more than the retailer is selling it to you for, then sign the paper. How hard can that be?

If your pride is so wounded at the prospect of signing a bit of paper, that it causes you to flounce out of dealer without purchasing watch, then please PM me the reference and dealer - you'll make me happy at least.

Here we have an AD that's trying to do something to try to deter would-be amateur traders that are only buying in order to flip for a quick tax-free profit. Bravo AD!

OP - this is a great result for you. Sorry your thread attracted unwarranted negativity. Enjoy the watch.

Master
    nice watch...stupid contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post

You want a watch that has a market valve of £thousands more than the retailer is selling it to you for, then sign the paper. How hard can that be?

If your pride is so wounded at the prospect of signing a bit of paper, that it causes you to flounce out of dealer without purchasing watch, then please PM me the reference and dealer - you'll make me happy at least.

Here we have an AD that's trying to do something to try to deter would-be amateur traders that are only buying in order to flip for a quick tax-free profit. Bravo AD!

OP - this is a great result for you. Sorry your thread attracted unwarranted negativity. Enjoy the watch.
    Assumption mother of all f/ups. Innocent until proven guilty. Summary punishment. Et cetera.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman

👍👏

Thanks for talking some sense here.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Thanks for talking some sense here.
    Indeed- we occasionally have the same situation at work with restricted supply due to a manufacturing issue or something and we try to allocate fairly not give all to the first person who will buy them even if that would be simplest for us.

Craftsman
    That’s what the money is for!

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    My thought too. It's incredibly pretentious.

Blog Entries
    You give money to get a watch, not cretinously stupid contractual terms.

If your pride is so wounded at the prospect of signing a bit of paper, that it causes you to flounce out of dealer without purchasing watch
    It is "hard" because it is morally wrong. Surely you can have the intellect to see that it's not the piece of paper, per se, that is the issue but the insulting, abusive (and yes, I do call this abusive), customer-hating, guity-until-proven-innocent terms that the vendor is attempting to impose.

Who in their right mind would sign away their liberty over their own property? That's not a matter of "pride", as you put it, but of basic common sense and self-respect. The watch just isn't that good. It's not worth it.

And it's not a matter of "flounc[ing]" as you again put it, it's a matter of keeping one's money to spend on a product or at a vendor who does not exhibit utter contempt and hatred for its customer.

Here we have an AD that's trying to do something to try to deter would-be amateur traders that are only buying in order to flip for a quick tax-free profit.
    (a) No they're not. They are just frightened of losing their AD franchise and they think that this fear-driven customer-contempt strategy will help them keep it.

(b) Even if they were trying to "amateur traders", what of it? That would be their problem with Rolex, since we know it is Rolex putting pressure on them. I will not tolerate them trying to make their problems into my problems. That's what they are doing (so as to keep their franchise) and it is contemptible.

(c) Why is it bad to make a profit with one's own property? Both Rolex and the AD do exactly that. Are their profits more magically special than other people's possible profits in your mind? If so, can you really justify such fantastical thinking?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th September 2019 at 06:50.

Blog Entries
    This contractual garbage is why I will never buy another Rolex. Rolex and their AD’s are presumably happy with their substantial and ever increasing profit margins, it astonishes me that they have the arrogance to think they can control what customers subsequently do with their purchases. Flipped for a profit? Well done mate, is is nobody’s business but yours!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    This contractual garbage is why I will never buy another Rolex. Rolex and their AD’s are presumably happy with their substantial and ever increasing profit margins, it astonishes me that they have the arrogance to think they can control what customers subsequently do with their purchases. Flipped for a profit? Well done mate, is is nobody’s business but yours!
    I’d have thought the dealers would rather have some stock to sell to keep there heads above water, to be honest.

But, if you applaud flipping for a profit- maybe the dealer should flip internally ever second watch, to make up their revenue. How would that sit?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    ... but the insulting, abusive (and yes, I do call this abusive), customer-hating, innocent-until-proven-guilty terms that the vendor is attempting to impose....
    What's wrong with 'innocent-until-proven-guilty'? Guess you meant the other way round.

IMO, your post and reasoning are rather OTT but then, you and I are clearly not going to agree.

I am pleased to hear of a dealer that's trying to do something positive to support collectors who favour ownership over flipping. It may not be ideal but it's a move in the right direction.
    Last edited by Monkey Queen; 4th September 2019 at 12:13.

Blog Entries
    I am pleased to hear of a dealer that's trying to do something positive to support collectors who favour ownership over flipping. It may not be ideal but it's a move in the right direction.
    I agree, anything that can benefit the collector over the flipper is ok in my book,..........., however how do you explain the many many reports of AD's bulk selling unicorn models directly to grey dealers, thereby bypassing the good collector and helping fuel this current scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    I agree, anything that can benefit the collector over the flipper is ok in my book,..........., however how do you explain the many many reports of AD's bulk selling unicorn models directly to grey dealers, thereby bypassing the good collector and helping fuel this current scenario?
    Unsubstantiated reports
    I am sure Rolex would know if that were occurring
    The AD I bought most of my Rolexes from ( Tourneau) told me they had to take a picture of all sales receipts and submit them to Rolex. I doubt Rolex ADs in UK/US are doing this channelling.Gray dealers get their stock from somewhere- so they must have a channel which may involve some ADs somewhere but I doubt if that is your high street AD.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 4th September 2019 at 12:39.

What's wrong with 'innocent-until-proven-guilty'? Guess you meant the other way round.

IMO, your post and reasoning are rather OTT but then, you and I are clearly not going to agree.

Welcome to the world of a predictable, single agenda, repetitive, one track multiquoting machine.

My responses to these are predictable too, as some would love to point out:-)

I would love to know when was the last time the multi crapping machine with so many watch related opinions posted a picture of a watch on the ‘watch’ forum.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 4th September 2019 at 12:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My view is that it’s not the dealers selling the models to the grey market, it’s the flippers that keep perpetuating the problem.

Master

Although, judging by this forum, there's no shortage of ‘collectors’ whose idea of ownership is to proudly boast of having the watch (always a Rolex for some reason …) tucked away in a safe, ‘all stickered-up’ to use the nauseatingly smug common parlance, with seemingly no intention of actually wearing it. Not sure there’s much moral high ground to be claimed there either, nor justification for preferential treatment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Although, judging by this forum, there's no shortage of ‘collectors’ whose idea of ownership is to proudly boast of having the watch (always a Rolex for some reason …) tucked away in a safe, ‘all stickered-up’ to use the nauseatingly smug common parlance, with seemingly no intention of actually wearing it. Not sure there’s much moral high ground to be claimed there either, nor justification for preferential treatment.

Once someone buys a watch , it’s of no concern of anyone but them what they do with it , they can wear it , sell it or put it in a safe as an investment, whichever they choose it’s their choice .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Once someone buys a watch , it’s of no concern of anyone but them what they do with it , they can wear it , sell it or put it in a safe as an investment, whichever they choose it’s their choice .
    Agreed 100%. My point being that the 'collectors' who choose to hoard are no better nor worse than those who choose to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Agree 100%. I believe watches should be worn but I am not going to be snooty or judgemental about someone’s decision to do otherwise. As for the people who repeatedly make such idiotic assertions about someone’s preferences, less so.

Is any chance we keep it civilised in the thread without resorting to name calling directly or by proxy ie references to 'idiotic' opinions etc if you cannot help yourself why not go back to the BP and enjoy yourself there among fellow namecallers and keyboard warriors?

Your fellow member opinion is as valuable as yours. Unless you think you’re somehow superior and your posts carry more weight.
    Last edited by VDG; 4th September 2019 at 13:04.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post

Your fellow member opinion is as valuable as yours. Unless you think you’re somehow superior and your posts carry more weight.
    I only respond this way to those who habitually crap on all such Rolex threads. There is nothing new.
    If you don’t like Rolex or their ADs or their practices or the owners, fine. No need to crap on all such threads. It really shouldn’t be so much of a concern for them what goes on in the Rolex world if it doesn’t interest them. The fact that they
    feel obliged to express the same/similar opinion on repeatedly on all such threads.........

I only respond this way to those who habitually crap on all such Rolex threads. There is nothing new.
    If you don’t like Rolex or their ADs or their practices or the owners, fine. No need to crap on all such threads. It really shouldn’t be so much of a concern for them what goes on in the Rolex world if it doesn’t interest them. The fact that they
    feel obliged to express the same/similar opinion on repeatedly on all such threads.........
    It’s a forum R and people join forums to express their opinion. We all different and have different taste in watches among other things, so different opinions are expected, and Yes people will express the same opinion again and again, it’s pretty much expected, hence hostility is contra productive it will only cause further agro and animosity it won’t change people minds especially if hostility is involved. If you do not like some people's opinion, repeated or not, just ignore them or put them on your ignore list - everyone wins.

As for AD experience and purchasing process, it is an intricate part of owing Rolex as a watch for people who buy new, so you cannot just dismiss it out of hand and it will always attract different opinions esp with the recent AD practices.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    It’s a forum R and people join forums to express their opinion. We all different and have different taste in watches among other things, so different opinions are expected, and Yes people will express the same opinion again and again, it’s pretty much expected, hence hostility is contra productive it will only cause further agro and animosity it won’t change people minds especially if hostility is involved. If you do not like some people's opinion, repeated or not, just ignore them or put them on your ignore list - everyone wins.

As for AD experience and purchasing process, it is an intricate part of owing Rolex as a watch for people who buy new, so you cannot just dismiss it out of hand and it will always attract different opinions esp with the recent AD practices.
    Wise words and cannot disagree with much if anything.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Thank you.
    I agree, it does seem a bit unenforceable once you have your warranty card,it’s then yours to do with as you see fit.

It's yours to do with as you see fit as soon as you've handed over your cash, warranty card or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

But, if you applaud flipping for a profit- maybe the dealer should flip internally ever second watch, to make up their revenue. How would that sit?
    Some commentators would have you believe that's exactly what ADs ARE doing...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Some commentators would have you believe that's exactly what ADs ARE doing...
    When you go into an AD and the sales assistant is wearing a better watch than you...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    When you go into an AD and the sales assistant is wearing a better watch than you...
    Bingo!

Craftsman
    Perhaps we should pay for the watch and let them keep it in their safe for two years ensuring I do not sell my own property.

What I don’t understand is why folk think a green sub is amazing when three years ago they were not that great.

If it’s just fashionable now buy something else and wait it’s time will come.

Or buy something you like yourself and just let the haters hate

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    What I don’t understand is why folk think a green sub is amazing when three years ago they were not that great.
    I remember the abuse DateJusts used to take here - now there's waiting lists for those, and fawning comments. I also remember saying here that I preferred them to steel sports Rolex (back in 2014ish) and being 'smirked' at (or whatever the forum equivalent is!). The only other person supporting me was WebWatchMaker (I think is the correct username).

People will always be drawn to hype - it's like a whirlpool - if you're a manufacturer and you hit the golden ticket of stirring one up, then it becomes a self-perpetuating mania and people lose all focus, as more and more get helplessly sucked into the centre, unable to escape the current or see the horizon above the foaming waves.

I understand perfectly what's happening with Rolex, and why, but it's become tedious beyond belief to see this once glorious, diverse and quirky sub-forum turn into a constant generic discussion on Rolex SS watches.

Master
    I believe watches should be worn
    Or chucked into a drawer, or three :-)

Imagine the "OCD" of members here (never met so many people with "OCD*" !!) if they saw that again!

* yes, tongue firmly in cheek as it's an offensively childish phrase to use when men-children get upset over micro-scratches on steel watches.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I appear to have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning!

Back to lurking!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Have to say I too am non-plussed at that! Told the story before but my AD said a few years ago (maybe 5/6) he had several LV Subs in his safe; no-one wanted them. Similarly, I don't recall anyone hankering after GMTs and now the old ones are hot, never mind the new ones!

Master
    Have to say I too am non-plussed at that! Told the story before but my AD said a few years ago (maybe 5/6) he had several LV Subs in his safe; no-one wanted them. Similarly, I don't recall anyone hankering after GMTs and now the old ones are hot, never mind the new ones!
    I had a GMT IIc and in 2011ish sold it here so I could buy my Polar Exp II 42mm (best watch ever!). At the time, they weren't hugely popular and there were certainly no waits
    Last edited by ach5; 4th September 2019 at 17:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Flipped for a profit? Well done mate, is is nobody’s business but yours!
    (c) Why is it bad to make a profit with one's own property?

That's fine if you are buying from the AD on the understanding that you are going to flip for a profit. Whatever the legal position, I would have thought that the "implied" deal, in all but the most unusual situations, is that they are selling you a watch to wear.

If you buy a watch purely to flip, without telling the AD that is your plan, you can hardly take the moral high ground!

Craftsman
    That's fine if you are buying from the AD on the understanding that you are going to flip for a profit. Whatever the legal position, I would have thought that the "implied" deal, in all but the most unusual situations, is that they are selling you a watch to wear.

If you buy a watch purely to flip, without telling the AD that is your plan, you can hardly take the moral high ground!
    Of course he can. There is nothing immoral about selling a watch.

There are no implied terms of this ilk in the sale. They are selling you a watch, it needs to work. The only obligation for the buyer is to trot out the money. That’s it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Of course he can. There is nothing immoral about selling a watch.

There are no implied terms of this ilk in the sale. They are selling you a watch, it needs to work. The only obligation for the buyer is to trot out the money. That’s it.
    Fine! So be upfront and tell the AD if it's all above board!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely you are missing the point. The idea of the restrictions are to make it harder for the watch to be flipped for profit. The watches will go to people who actually want to wear them rather than to make a quick buck. If you don’t like the restrictions then don’t buy the brand or use another dealer.

Blog Entries
    I did. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

LOL! As I observed, there is no such thing happening. First of all, trying to control what people do with their personal property is not in any way, shape, or form "positive". It is an entirely negative thing to do that is insulting to the customer. (And it clearly cannot and is not hampering the grey channel).

Secondly, the dealer is not trying to do anything other than keep their franchise! It's wholly selfish of them. They don't really care about flipping (of personal property, remember) at all. They just fear losing their franchise. I understand their fear but I do not accept that their problems should become my problems.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th September 2019 at 11:24.

Blog Entries
    That's fine if you are buying from the AD on the understanding that you are going to flip for a profit.
    No, that's stuff you've invented in your own mind.

Once you buy a thing, you are able to do with what you wish within the law. Once it is your property, you are entirely entitled to sell it for a loss or a profit, as you wish.

I would have thought that the "implied" deal, in all but the most unusual situations, is that they are selling you a watch to wear.
    No, no such thing. When you buy the item it is yours to do with as you please.

An AD trying to restrict this right for their own selfish benefit is just hating and insulting their customers.

And, make no mistake, the ADs doing this are doing it for their own selfish (but understandable) benefit. They are doing it solely to try and help retain their AD franchise. They fear losing it. They do not directly care anything about who sells their watches further down the line; they have only come to seemingly care because they fear losing their franchise for something that is, in truth, outside their control.

Yes you can as there is nothing in the slightest bit immoral about it. It is wholly right, proper and moral, in every possible respect, to sell on one's own property whether it be for a loss or a profit.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th September 2019 at 11:25.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    My point being that the 'collectors' who choose to hoard are no better nor worse than those who choose to flip.
    Quite so. Very well observed.

Is a person who buys a watch and seals it away in a safe someone morally better or worse than someone who sells it on? It seems not to me. Both are morally neutral: People are rightly and properly doing what they want with their own personal property.

Master
    Yes you can as there is nothing in the slightest bit immoral about it. It is wholly right, proper and moral, in every possible respect, to sell on one's own property whether it be for a loss or a profit.
    Well, I think it's immoral to lie and if you buy a watch to flip you are, at some stage, lying to the dealer about your intentions. That is unless you tell the AD what you are planning to do and tell them not to bother sizing the bracelet as it's going straight to WF or on eBay.

You have your view; I have mine. What's legal is legal and what people do to make a few £ is for them to decide. At the end of the day, the people disadvantaged by flippers are watch enthusiasts.

Master
    Well, I think it's immoral to lie and if you buy a watch to flip you are, at some stage, lying to the dealer about your intentions. That is unless you tell the AD what you are planning to do and tell them not to bother sizing the bracelet as it's going straight to WF or on eBay.

You have your view; I have mine. What's legal is legal and what people do to make a few £ is for them to decide. At the end of the day, the people disadvantaged by flippers are watch enthusiasts.
    But I think even that needs qualifying: certainly watch enthusiasts who don’t want to pay more than RRP are disadvantaged, but those who are prepared to do so are benefitted as they now have much faster access to their model of choice.

I understand how it can seem unpalatable but is the situation any different from that of an IPO where it is known that the initial share price is lower than where it will subsequently trade? In that sense flippers are doing no more than providing liquidity to the market and allowing the desirable models to be traded much more quickly in line with their actual market value.