closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got “the call”

Master

Got “the call”

After attending an event at the independent Rolex AD in Glasgow 2 months ago and “expressing an interest”, I was offered a root beer GMT a couple of weeks ago, which I turned down to wait for the Batman/girl.

Fast forward to Friday and I get he call to tell me it’s here and it’s mine if I wanted it. Naturally I didn’t refuse.

Picked it up today after the ceremonial removal of all the stickers and signing a “contract” to attest that -
    1. I am buying it for myself and not to “flip”.
    2. They will keep the warranty card for a year, at which point I need to present the watch when I go to collect said warranty card.
    3. I won’t sell the watch, other than back to them, for a period of 3 years.
    4. I’m no longer eligible to purchase the same model of watch.

Quite handy I like it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alanm_3; 1st September 2019 at 14:07.

Congratulations.

But point 3...just stupidly unenforceable. Hopefully another point linked to 3 was that they have to buy it back if you offer it. No matter the price.

Master

Got “the call”

Thank you.
    I agree, it does seem a bit unenforceable once you have your warranty card,it’s then yours to do with as you see fit.

Master
    Lovely watch for sure but those terms are a load of old b*****ks

Master
    Congrats but madness! Not a long wait at all though.

Master
    They also told me that each “desirable” watch sale had to go in front of senior management within the dealership, who decide who it should be offered to.
    While we were there, at least 3 people asked about the usual suspects and were told that there was no waiting lists, but could fill in an “expression of interest” and would be considered as and when the particular model they were interested in arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well done. That was certainly worth the wait. Gotta love their “terms” though! Enjoy.
    PS check out the price of the Aquanaut just listed on SC. Where did you and I go wrong!

Master
    Congrats but what a joke buying a Rolex has become. Signing contracts LOL

Master
    Thanks Simon. I thinks it’s their way of showing Rolex that they’re “trying” to do something to avoid the grey market supply.
    As to the Aquanaut, maybe we could kick each to, so we don’t have to kick ourselves.

Lovely watch and I wouldn't mind signing that contract if it helped hurry along the process of buying one. But odd to agree to sell it back to them with no price up front, but what can you do?

Think the most shocking part of the Aquanaut post is there's a Patek AD in Blackpool.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Well done. That was certainly worth the wait.
    I trust you are being sarcastic!! The OP said he expressed interest "2 months ago"!

Craftsman
    2 months is a short wait for this piece and for most of the stainless steel professional models. Lucky OP. I am still on the list for a Hulk after 2 years. Think I will gladly offer my local AD a contract if this can expedite!

To OP, Enjoy the watch!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    They also told me that each “desirable” watch sale had to go in front of senior management within the dealership, who decide who it should be offered to.
    While we were there, at least 3 people asked about the usual suspects and were told that there was no waiting lists, but could fill in an “expression of interest” and would be considered as and when the particular model they were interested in arrived.

Fair enough sounds like rolex are trying to do something to get the watches to the right people, this along with the contract might act as an hindrance to some you never know .

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I trust you are being sarcastic!! The OP said he expressed interest "2 months ago"!
    Personally I think two months is too long. Never waited that for any of mine.😜

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Personally I think two months is too long. Never waited that for any of mine.
    Never waited that long...before flipping them?

Congratulations on your new watch and passing the vetting check by the AD's management.
    I hope you had your fingers crossed behind your back when signing that agreement, since as others have said, clause 3 is completely unenforceable.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it wearing it.

BTW was it Laings?

Master
    If you have to sell it back to them is it at current market value or how is that determined ?

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    If you have to sell it back to them is it at current market value or how is that determined ?
    He doesn't, it's an unenforceable condition. The only downside is that if they track sales and find he hasn't sold it to them, next time the vetting process will likely not be successful.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post

They’ll not buy it back full stop.

It’s nothing more than hot air.

It is a lovely piece of metal but seriously, having to listen to another adult setting out those terms and then, as another adult, signing for them? It's like some worldwide torture scene, with Rolex applying increasingly degrading techniques and looking down 'its' nose whilst the purchasing public fall over themselves to make the purchase at any cost to their dignity.

Got “the call”

…*3. I won’t sell the watch, other than back to them, for a period of 3 years.

Quite handy I like it!
    Congrats on your purchase and know you’re thrilled.

But WTH is with that “contract?” I don’t think 3 or 4 would be defensible in court. It’s yours, bought and paid for. In fact in some places, if you were “compelled” to sign it in order to receive the goods you’re paying for, the entire thing would be invalid.

(edit) I understand that clause about presenting the watch to receive the warranty card, they’re demanding that you prove you still own the watch in order to receive paperwork that should accompany it. Honest question for you Rolexers: what do you do if you move to another city within the year? How do you get that card transferred to your new home? Do you NEED that warranty card to get warranty service from an AD in your new home? “Sorry, sir, you need to go back to Glasgow to get your watch serviced under warranty” would be horrid customer service.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! It’s a darn WATCH, not a mansion in a luxury private development. ROFLMAO

Addendum: that’s also an open door to ugly discrimination. “Senior management within the dealership, who decide who it should be offered to,” meaning oh um, maybe they offer the watch to whites before customers of other race. I can’t imagine actually uttering those words lest they get around and the dealership gets a truly awful rep. God forbid the right kind of media get wind of it.
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 1st September 2019 at 20:05.

Master
    Regardless of the 'contract', you got the watch you wanted (presumably at RRP and not a premium) within a couple of months. That's a result! Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Regardless of the 'contract', you got the watch you wanted (presumably at RRP and not a premium) within a couple of months. That's a result! Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
    Exactly. Enjoy the watch. Turn off the noise.

Buying new is almost like being part of the Masons, vetted to get invited in, once there you break a rule and your black balled for future purchases..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Lovely watch and I wouldn't mind signing that contract if it helped hurry along the process of buying one. But odd to agree to sell it back to them with no price up front, but what can you do?

Think the most shocking part of the Aquanaut post is there's a Patek AD in Blackpool.
    The Patek dealer in Blackpool(Leonard Dews)have been going donkeys years in Blackpool and are very well known and respected in the local area.My first purchase from there was a Tag 4000 series in 1992 and more lately a Patek 5711R and Aquanaut 5067 for my missus.

Craftsman
    Congratulations on your purchase OP, perfect timing as it would have probably cost you 5% more next month:-)

Journeyman
    Congrats on the purchase OP, enjoy.

Craftsman
    After attending an event at the independent Rolex AD in Glasgow 2 months ago and “expressing an interest”, I was offered a root beer GMT a couple of weeks ago, which I turned down to wait for the Batman/girl.

Fast forward to Friday and I get he call to tell me it’s here and it’s mine if I wanted it. Naturally I didn’t refuse.

Picked it up today after the ceremonial removal of all the stickers and signing a “contract” to attest that -
    2. They will keep the warranty card for a year, at which point I need to present the watch when I go to collect said warranty card.

Quite handy I like it!
    I’m glad you got the watch you wanted and I’m glad that, grand scheme, it wasn’t that long a wait. Lovely watch, it’ll last you a long time. I’m not glad that they took the p*ss out of you to ‘qualify’ you to buy it.

The terms are nothing short of pathetic, but also represent a restraint of trade. They’re no more enforceable than if you’d signed to give away your virginity to buy it.

Still, hold on to it, enjoy it and at some point in the future we’ll all laugh about how ridiculous this Rolex buying bo**ocks used to be.

I am curious to know whether the "contact" was something Rolex has insisted upon I.e it's on Rolex headed paper and is co-signed by Rolex or something the AD has dreamt up - in order to show you how special you are.

I am betting this is something the AD has done and nothing to do with with Rolex.

Congratulations on the watch.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman

AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I am curious to know whether the "contact" was something Rolex has insisted upon I.e it's on Rolex headed paper and is co-signed by Rolex or something the AD has dreamt up - in order to show you how special you are.

I am betting this is something the AD has done and nothing to do with with Rolex.

Congratulations on the watch.
    Does sound like AD crap and if it is Laings, right up their street for this kind of nonsense.

Just go back in next week, tell them you sold it to WF for a 3k profit and rip up their Special contract in front of them.

I’ll bet they keep the original of the contract for “security.” Still laughing....

Craftsman
    What an embarrassment that must have been. FWIW, a relative is a big spender at Laings in Glasgow and is not subjected to such nonsense.

Nice watch all the same. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by marselluswallace View Post
    The Patek dealer in Blackpool(Leonard Dews)have been going donkeys years in Blackpool and are very well known and respected in the local area.My first purchase from there was a Tag 4000 series in 1992 and more lately a Patek 5711R and Aquanaut 5067 for my missus.
    I should have known that actually, I follow them on Instagram. Forgot they were Blackpool. Apologies, just PP isn't the first thing to mind when you think of Blackpool.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I should have known that actually, I follow them on Instagram. Forgot they were Blackpool. Apologies, just PP isn't the first thing to mind when you think of Blackpool.
    I think quite a few celebrities and monied-folk live in Lytham St Annes, I could see over-priced meh Pateks being shown off at the golf clubs. Probably de-rigueur in the Royal Lytham.

Interesting approach to selling, treat the customer like a crook...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

Addendum: that’s also an open door to ugly discrimination. “Senior management within the dealership, who decide who it should be offered to,” meaning oh um, maybe they offer the watch to whites before customers of other race. I can’t imagine actually uttering those words lest they get around and the dealership gets a truly awful rep. God forbid the right kind of media get wind of it.
    Exactly my thought. And it's not always intentional but subconscious bias that will come in to play.

Maybe that's the plan though......stop rappers buying them! It's called 'doing a Tommy (Hilfiger)......' ;)

Master
    Well that’s the hornets nest well and truly stirred.

To summarise as much as I can to a few of the points, yes, I know the contract isn’t legally binding, and no, there is nothing on the piece of paper I signed had any “official” Rolex logos etc, so it’s clearly a local decision.

Yes, I paid RRP, since it was an official AD.

Even more ridiculous is that they’re doing the same thing for some of the more desirable DJs!

Madness. Luxury watch brand v Capitalism. Rolex has lost the plot.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    Enjoy and wear in good health. Got my sub no date last month, loving it!

Blog Entries
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Omigod. They've jumped the shark.

It amazes me that you accepted their insults and poor quality of service. I have to say that, to my mind, no watch can possibly be worth this customer-hating claptrap.

If you like the watch over and above the bend-over-and-take-it abuse then so be it, of course. Nevertheless, I feel you got a poor bargain overall. Actually paying money to be bound (or maybe not) by such impertinent and insulting terms just isn't tolerable to my mind.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 2nd September 2019 at 06:01.

So..if you have to sell it back to them within 3 years and assuming the market does not crash will they pay the inflated prices we are seeing today and if not then would you be entitled to sell elsewhere? Nonsense but at least you got a great watch.Enjoy.
    P.s. What did you have to do to qualify? I.e. Previous purchases?

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a sneaking suspicion that Rolex owners secretly love all this contractual nonsense, otherwise they wouldn’t keep mentioning it. Makes them feel special, I suppose. Each to their own, enjoy the watch and that feeing!

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Rolex owners secretly love all this contractual nonsense, otherwise they wouldn’t keep mentioning it. Makes them feel special, I suppose. Each to their own, enjoy the watch and that feeing!
    I suspect that is definitely true of some Rolex owners. These kind of posts always draw out attention from the usual suspects who are drawn to it like bees to the honey followed by the predicted ritual of hand wringing, knickers in a knot etc. It is all actually a bit boring.
    I have zero interest in what AD said or did.
    Talk about the watch and you have my interest.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 2nd September 2019 at 08:43.

Master
    No.3 is wrong! It's 'offer it back', not 'sell it back'. You offer it, they dont match your price you're free to sell it anywhere!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I have no love for this “contractual nonsense”, secret or otherwise, so let’s get that out of the way.

I mentioned it to highlight the ridiculous lengths ADs are now going to in their vain attempt to stop the grey market supply but if you saw my post as some form of bragging that I had somehow enjoyed this process, you’re way off the mark. I wanted the watch. If I had refused their “terms”, I wouldn’t have got it and no doubt someone else, who was willing to play along with this stupid charade would now be enjoying ownership.

Nothing I signed would stop me selling something which is now paid for and legally belonging to me.

Nothing I signed would stop me selling something which is now paid for and legally belonging to me.
    Which begs the obvious question, why do they bother?

I have no love for this “contractual nonsense”, secret or otherwise, so let’s get that out of the way.

I mentioned it to highlight the ridiculous lengths ADs are now going to in their vain attempt to stop the grey market supply but if you saw my post as some form of bragging that I had somehow enjoyed this process, you’re way off the mark. I wanted the watch. If I had refused their “terms”, I wouldn’t have got it and no doubt someone else, who was willing to play along with this stupid charade would now be enjoying ownership.

I wasn’t referring to your post specifically but more to the fact that getting ‘the call’ and the associated ins and outs of ones AD rigmarole does seem, to me at least, to be some badge of honour among many posters now.

Be honest; does the exclusivity make the watch more desirable for you? Because I can see how it might. I’m absolutely sure that for many it’s the only reason.

When I see a Rolex on someone’s wrist I’m far less likely to think they’re a WIS than if I see someone wearing a Smiths or something.

Again, not aimed at you, and enjoy your watch it’s a great feeling.

Master
    I ask myself

"is it worth playing the new Rolex game"

my answer is definitely not - the qualifying rules are just so stupid, particularly "that you have to be a good customer of and spend lots of money with, your favourite AD".

Much as I would like a Pepsi or Root beer GMT - that's the only new Rolex sports watch that I fancy, I'd either buy a good used one, without b & p, as if I had one I would definitely wear it quite a lot, or look elsewhere.

At the end of the day spending money with an AD to buy his useless jewellery crap just to butter him up, to gain the privilege of favoured treatment is, IMHO, pathetic.

and when you finally get the f...ing thing, they want to control what you do with it - bollox -

- good job I prefer vintage stuff
    Last edited by BillN; 2nd September 2019 at 09:31.

Banned

Congratulations on your purchase, it really is a stunning watch. So much better than it appears in pictures.
    Enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    No.3 is wrong! It's 'offer it back', not 'sell it back'. You offer it, they dont match your price you're free to sell it anywhere!
    Rather defeats the object of the ‘contract’ if you can flip it back to the AD!!

”Leave the stickers on - I’ll take £15,000! Keep the watch and just give me the profit.”

Nice to see this watch has gone to someone who wants it in the OP’s case.
    Last edited by David_D; 2nd September 2019 at 10:26.