closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk to me about car hire in Fuerteventura

Journeyman

Talk to me about car hire in Fuerteventura

Looking for the wisdom of the collective here. It has been a while since I have hired a car, so much so it was when we just had the paper licenses. First question that springs to mind is do I still need to take the paper part for hiring a car or is the photo card sufficient these days?

My previous experiences of hire companies have been a bunch of shisters who have tried it on, even when I have used the Vehicle with kid gloves so any tips to avoid and extra insurance I can use would be great.

As mentioned in the title I will be hiring in Fuerteventura so any information on good bad would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to some replies.

Craftsman
    I've never needed the paper part of my licence when hiring abroad - I'm not even sure if you get a paper counterpart to the licence anymore?

Funnily enough, we've just been looking at Fuerteventura as a potential Christmas break destination for this year. Never been before.

Firstly correct there is no longer a paper part so your credit card plastic licence is it

try Hertz website book and pre-pay online they have a depot at Airport and are very good

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Firstly correct there is no longer a paper part so your credit card plastic licence is it

try Hertz website book and pre-pay online they have a depot at Airport and are very good
    Yes, I meant to say, I'd stick with a reputable firm for the actual car hire.

Last time I went there and that was quite a few years ago I just used a comparison site to compare rental car prices and picked a company with good reviews.

In terms of protecting yourself, get collision damage waiver from a broker here, much cheaper than their daily rates. Take pictures/videos of the car when you get it, make sure that they know you are taking these. Also make them note down any damage no matter how small and insignificant including the wheels and tyres.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the information. Yes wasn’t sure about the licenses these days. I know they no longer send a paper counter part but being I had one wasn’t sure if these were necessary.

I want to go with a reputable company as I have been stung before but find them all a bit well...

Good tip on the pics and video I will definitely do this and make sure I’m letting them know.

You need to go to this site to obtain a code to allow you to share your full license details with the hire car company.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Master
    Blog Entries
    Use cicar. Far and above the best there.

Cheap enough but not the cheapest. Full insurance and excess and excess included as standard so no worrying about anything.

Also have a good fuel policy I.e collect full and return full so no massive charges for fuel etc.

I rented the fiat spider convertible last year there (small boot so be careful) and also a seat Leon.

When your flight lands if you are in a group send someone out to the car desk while waiting for bags off the plane as the q can build quick from a flight.
    Last edited by 893bet; 2nd September 2019 at 16:08.

Talk to me about car hire in Fuerteventura

CICAR !

Never been asked for anything other than my picture licence.

Plus Car is the only company I would use. Car is collected and returned at the airport and comes all inclusive insurance.

You can probably find all you need to know on this page: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tr...heap-car-hire/

Pay particular attention to fuel charges and excess insurance.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the information I will check these out.

I visit Fuerteventura and Tenerife for holidays and always use Auto Raisen and have never had any problems when booking on line.
    Never been asked for more than the photo card since they came in.
    The car hire is remarkably cheap but resist the temptation to go "big"-parking can be an issue!

Master
    22 years ago we hired a Punto in Fuerteventura from one of the global hire companies. It would have failed a UK MoT on several aspects. Things may well have changed but cast an eye over whatever you get's tyres and test the brakes a few times when you first drive it.

Journeyman
    Just as an update, I have gone with auto resien. They were a lot cheaper than cicar and the others. I looked at budget but when factoring in the extra insurance AR came out roughly the same. The many glowing reviews was also a deciding factor. Thanks to all for your comments.