closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lorenz, whos got one?

Lorenz, whos got one?

I stumbled across this Italian design with Swiss movements brand a while ago.
    They actually produced some nice watches (during the 80-mid 90’s at least)
    I got this one and I can honestly say although a Swiss Quartz, the build quality is equal of other high end brands during the same time. The bracelet is exceptionally well made for example. I will try and get some better lighted photos and post again.
    Brevet case also (503.305)

So who’s got a Lorenz?
    Show us.
    Last edited by Redwolf; 1st September 2019 at 03:11.

That looks like quite a Colossus

the new ones on Ebay look about invicta quality though. not seen in the flesh tho

Edit: misread title

I had a Lorenz Sub Professional for a while, which I'd restored a little for a friend and then bought. Lovely watch with fantastic creamy tritium dial and handset.

Here's a link to the work I did.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=lorenz

And a few pics for those who can't be arsed to click on the above.

Cheers,
    Gary

I've had several (including the one that Gary restored, which I bought as a bracelet donor).
    I only recently sold my last one, so none left now.

These were generally acknowledged (in the Lemania forum I ran) as the best value Lemania-5100-movement-powered watches anywhere, I even got one for €103.

The most recently sold

The €100 one - two tone but still good value, it was destined to be a movement donor for an Omega restoration AFAIK.

And the poor man's De Luca

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    the new ones on Ebay look about invicta quality though. not seen in the flesh tho
    You’re quite right, present day Lorenz are nowhere near the quality and aesthetics they once had.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    I had a Lorenz Sub Professional for a while, which I'd restored a little for a friend and then bought. Lovely watch with fantastic creamy tritium dial and handset.

Here's a link to the work I did.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=lorenz

And a few pics for those who can't be arsed to click on the above.

Cheers,
    Gary
    That looks very nice indeed, would look great on a vintage brown leather

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I've had several (including the one that Gary restored, which I bought as a bracelet donor).
    I only recently sold my last one, so none left now.

These were generally acknowledged (in the Lemania forum I ran) as the best value Lemania-5100-movement-powered watches anywhere, I even got one for €103.

The most recently sold

The €100 one - two tone but still good value, it was destined to be a movement donor for an Omega restoration AFAIK.

And the poor man's De Luca

Dave
    Love the 5100 ones they are definitely good value. Not handled one but can imagine the quality isn’t lacking at all. I’ve been eyeing one on eBay.
    100 dollars for a bi metal ? Doubt they go for that anymore though.

There's a lovely one up on eBay at the moment. I thought they only came with silvered subdials, but this one looks to have a lovely yellowed finish: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lorenz-Su...cAAOSw7wZdY~pa

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    There's a lovely one up on eBay at the moment. I thought they only came with silvered subdials, but this one looks to have a lovely yellowed finish: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lorenz-Su...cAAOSw7wZdY~pa
    Yep that’s the one I’ve been eyeing
    Gotta show restraint!

There is a whole group of examples where the sub-dials have aged that way, some evenly, others less so.

redwolf: thanks for the confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I stumbled across this Italian design with Swiss movements brand a while ago.
    They actually produced some nice watches (during the 80-mid 90’s at least)
    I got this one and I can honestly say although a Swiss Quartz, the build quality is equal of other high end brands during the same time. The bracelet is exceptionally well made for example. I will try and get some better lighted photos and post again.
    Brevet case also (503.305)

So who’s got a Lorenz?
    Show us.

Did you buy that on Ebay relatively recently? I came close to buying it a couple of times as a source of spares for this one:

If you see another I'd appreciate a heads up.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Did you buy that on Ebay relatively recently? I came close to buying it a couple of times as a source of spares for this one:

If you see another I'd appreciate a heads up.
    Hi mate.
    Yes I did, it was a NOS full set with box and some papers,
    That UG of yours is very interesting please tell me more
    It looks like a carbon copy of mine? (Or vice versa) has it got the brevet 503.305 case too?
    Yes of course if I see another I’ll pm you no worries.

Master
    Great watches,
    The one on eBay is mine.
    Only selling it because of some other incomings...
    I wish o didn’t have to put it up for sale...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Great watches,
    The one on eBay is mine.
    Only selling it because of some other incomings...
    I wish o didn’t have to put it up for sale...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yours is gorgeous, shame to sell. Is it up on sales corner?

Hi mate.
    Yes I did, it was a NOS full set with box and some papers,
    That UG of yours is very interesting please tell me more
    It looks like a carbon copy of mine? (Or vice versa) has it got the brevet 503.305 case too?
    Yes of course if I see another I’ll pm you no worries.
    That was the one. There's not a lot to say about mine - there's a short article below but they don't appear to be terribly common.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rare-un...artz-was-cool/

It doesn't come from UG's golden age and it's clear now that they didn't make it themselves. I've checked my pictures and I don't have a photo of the caseback - I'll take a look when I get a chance to see if it has the same inscription on the inside.

There is also a Bucherer chronograph with the same bezel - given that Bucherer have probably never made a watch themselves (and let's face it - given the vast catalogue of Lorenz available on Ebay - likely neither have they) it suggests they were made to order by a 3rd party.

https://daddyswatch.com/bucherer-mens-sub-professional-automatic-chronograph-40mm-c-1970s-swiss-ms114/

Thanks for the kind offer.

Master
    Yours is gorgeous, shame to sell. Is it up on sales corner?
    Nope, with all the recent agro in the SC I decided to go with ebay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    (and let's face it - given the vast catalogue of Lorenz available on Ebay - likely neither have they)
    I am not sure that is true, or at least it used not to be true.
    Lorenz's Lemania-powered offerings were definitely unique to them, after several years of traipsing through a lot of Ebay (.co.uk .com. .de. .it and .es), Italian dealer sites and Kijiji listings looking for Lemania watches I can be pretty confident of that. They remained independent (although never really active in the English speaking world) from the late 1980s (at least) into the mid 2000s (when there were Russian dealers still offering brand new Lorenz 5100s a few years after Lemania ceased production of the movement).
    Now? Not a clue. It is certainly clear that the quality of their offer has reduced dramatically, so I suspect they are third party branders rather than watchmakers, but I am sure they used to be.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am not sure that is true, or at least it used not to be true.
    Lorenz's Lemania-powered offerings were definitely unique to them, after several years of traipsing through a lot of Ebay (.co.uk .com. .de. .it and .es), Italian dealer sites and Kijiji listings looking for Lemania watches I can be pretty confident of that. They remained independent (although never really active in the English speaking world) from the late 1980s (at least) into the mid 2000s (when there were Russian dealers still offering brand new Lorenz 5100s a few years after Lemania ceased production of the movement).
    Now? Not a clue. It is certainly clear that the quality of their offer has reduced dramatically, so I suspect they are third party branders rather than watchmakers, but I am sure they used to be.

Dave
    Thanks - I realise that I was being somewhat provocative in that statement and I don't have anything to back it up other than the model in the OP by way of illustration. Funnily enough my suspicion is that Bucherer may have gone from ordering generic stuff with their name on the dial in the 60s/70s and now have a coherent range under the Carl F Bucherer brand - from what you say, Lorenz may have travelled in precisely the opposite direction.

Thanks for the links Carlton always interesting to see such articles.

I can agree with sweets though Lorenz made some stunning (unique) watches. Like I said at the start of this thread though nowadays they have gone very much fashion watch route it seems. Shame really. I think your right too they have gone the opposite to Bucherer and declined while they(Bucherer) have gone upward.

I’m always scouring the net for Lorenz offerings, as well as Philip Watch, and Pryngeps. Two other well known Italian brands that seem to have had some very interesting pieces (again late 80’s - early 2000’s)

I've a few of the 5100s, great little watches.