closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Omega - anything I should know?

Master

Vintage Omega - anything I should know?

Following the passing of my father in law I have been asked to look at one of his watches to see if I could say whether it could be of any value or if the history may be interesting to a collector etc

I only really have an interest in modern watches so thought some kind souls on here may give me some info I can share with my mother in law

The photos below show an original purchase rcpt from 1964 and the original booklet plus the watch itself.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Photos

Nice watch and worth around £600 or so. Could you not keep it for special occasions?

Very nice. Not of huge value I'd imagine (less than £500?) but a lovely thing nonetheless. Others who know more may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Nice watch and worth around £600 or so. Could you not keep it for special occasions?
    Yes given the history and value, there's no way I'd sell that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post
    Photos

Great goldcapped Seamaster DeVille with brushed dial.

Cal 562 probably under hood.

Keep it, wear it from time to time.
    Last edited by sinner77; 31st August 2019 at 13:32.

Nice , Looks like a front loader ( glass out to remove movement and see the ref numbers on caseback)

Do you have a box? ,would be a nice collectors piece if you had the full set. Will be needing a service by now unless you have any evidence of a recent work.

I would get it serviced and wear the hell out of it

Master
    No box,that I know of, but everything you see in the pictures so very clear provenance at least.

It’s not my watch and the emotional connection to the watch is not there as apparently he never wore it as it was gifted to him around 20 years ago and not used by him hence why she asked me to see if I could find out more about it

Appreciate all the info received

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Looks like a very nice example, a good buy for someone......OP clearly has no love for it which, as one who appreciates old Omegas, I find frustrating.

It’ll need servicing and either a new crown or crown seal to make it waterproof again, but it looks like it’s lead a fairly easy life so hopefully it won’t cost a lot in new parts. I still have a
    limited stash of parts for these movements so I could fix anything that needs fixing.

I bought myself a nice 9ct gold example last year, otherwise I’d be interested in buying for my own collection.

Original purchase receipt is a ‘ nice to have’, but the condition of the watch is the main consideration.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 1st September 2019 at 00:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Looks like a very nice example, a good buy for someone......OP clearly has no love for it which, as one who appreciates old Omegas, I find frustrating.

It’ll need servicing and either a new crown or crown seal to make it waterproof again, but it looks like it’s lead a fairly easy life so hopefully it won’t cost a lot in new parts. I still have a
    limited stash of parts for these movements so I could fix anything that needs fixing.

I bought myself a nice 9ct gold example last year, otherwise I’d be interested in buying for my own collection.

Original purchase receipt is a ‘ nice to have’, but the condition of the watch is the main consideration.
    Thanks for the comments - it's not I have no love for it but given the circumstances I am respecting my M in Law wishes to perhaps sell it on for her once I know enough to ensure she is able to be appropriately recompensed (and even if I were to say I would like to keep it she would not accept anything from me for it and frankly as a widow with limited income it would not be right)

I appreciate the extra info on what needs to be done to it too as surprisingly given its lack of use it is still working there is no obvious wear on either strap or watch itself and just some small marks on the face which I assume is not a modern anti scratch style hence the light marking?