closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Rolex Service

Master

A Rolex Service

My 16610 has not been serviced for 8 years and the "power reserve" has really reduced - (if that is the right word)

I would like to send it to Rolex and I have read that, as part of the service and for the SAME all in price they replace any parts, including, hands, face, bezel etc., as they think fit - first of all am I correct

and secondly can I insist that they return all parts replaced to me and do not polish the watch at all

Has anyone any experience of this, i.e. getting them to return any parts that they replace?

Master
    Better going to an accredited Rolex service agent, who will do exactly what you want.

I’ve had RSC carry out my instructions to the letter in the past, but never asked for parts returned. I don’t think they will do that to be honest.maybe Contact Bill Rice, who is highly regarded on this forum.

Any movement parts required will usually be included in your cost, anything else will not (bezel, dial, crown, glass etc)
    Last edited by demonloop; 31st August 2019 at 12:27.

I think bezels, dial and hands would be extra. I do not think parts are returned when servicing.

It may be best to see an independent accredited Rolex repairer who is likely to be more flexible. RSC tends to be rigid in their procedures.

Any visible parts, or major movement parts, would be itemised and charged for if you went ahead. Hands, dials, bezel, inserts, and crowns are charged for, as are any bracelet parts. The service chats include full movement service and refurb of watch and bracelet and pressure testing etc.

Most parts that require replacing are on an exchange basis. If you want to keep certain parts you should discuss this directly with the service centre.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Another vote for an accredited indy such as Bill Rice. Discuss what you want (and don`t want) doing with the watch and it should work out fine, and a little cheaper than dealing with RSC or via and AD.

Unless a case has been significantly polished in the past I would always advise a light refinish to refresh the appearance of the case, bezel and bracelet, the watch will then look and feel like new again.

A replacement crown makes sense to ensure the watch remains water-resistant.

Master
    (As an aside - one always reads that with Breitlings the hands are 'press-fit' and therefore single-use, and therefore always replaced at service. Is this only true of Breitlings?)

I had my DRSD serviced at accredited Rolex service agent so you get all the paper work and Rolex warranty
    Plus they gave me all the parts back

I send my Rolex for service only to get the incredible green pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I send my Rolex for service only to get the incredible green pouch.
    I like the Sinn pouch more the Rolex ones are cheap and nasty IMHO

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    (As an aside - one always reads that with Breitlings the hands are 'press-fit' and therefore single-use, and therefore always replaced at service. Is this only true of Breitlings?)
    I'm sure that there will be an exception, but every watch I've ever seen had hands that were 'press fit'. However being press fit doesn't imply that hands are single use. Rather a lot of people would be quite upset if things like hands were replaced at service as, for example, the golden cream of aged tritium is rather prized. Brand new hands, dials and so on can knock a healthy chunk off the value of a vintage watch. Whatever source you are reading isn't terribly reliable.
    Last edited by M4tt; 1st September 2019 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I like the Sinn pouch more the Rolex ones are cheap and nasty IMHO
    Hmm. Sent an EZM 1 for service in 2001. Didn’t get a pouch. Will call them tomorrow.

Hmm. Sent an EZM 1 for service in 2001. Didn’t get a pouch. Will call them tomorrow.

All of my ones did in fact my EZM 1 came back with all its parts they replaced which was a first

Here is one of there pouches I use this one for keeping clasps and bit and bobs in

Please start a thread to keep us updated with your progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apart from visible/cosmetic items such as hands, dial and possibly crown, why would anyone want the return of internal parts which a watchmaker or the RSC have deemed to be past their best?
    Last edited by dkpw; 1st September 2019 at 11:23. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Apart from visible/cosmetic items such as hands, dial and possibly crown, why would anyone want the return of internal parts which a watchmaker or the RSC have deemed to be past their best?
    I agree, what use are the worn parts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I'm sure that there will be an exception, but every watch I've ever seen had hands that were 'press fit'. However being press fit doesn't imply that hands are single use. Rather a lot of people would be quite upset if things like hands were replaced at service as, for example, the golden cream of aged tritium is rather prized. Brand new hands, dials and so on can knock a healthy chunk off the value of a vintage watch. Whatever source you are reading isn't terribly reliable.
    There are multiple sources for Breitling's routine replacement of hands at service - it's a common observation on the Breitling forums. Their description of the maintenance service says:

'A complete service is recommended every 4 to 6 years and includes: disassembly, cleaning and replacing of standard movement parts, assembly, lubrication, adjustment and setting of movement function parameters; changing all seals, partial changing of hands and checking of water resistance' etc

The 'partial' is explained on service quotes, which specify 'replacement of hour and minute hands', and therefore i.e. not seconds / sub-dial hands. As you say, this means the loss of original parts and what some regard as desirable ageing, which is a common complaint among Breitling owners.

That was precisely what was behind my question, i.e. I wonder why it's only Breitling who claim that it's necessary to change the hands routinely at maintenance services.
    Last edited by Tom-P; 1st September 2019 at 15:10.