closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alternatives to the Rolex GMT

Master

Alternatives to the Rolex GMT

There are lots if you want one to wear and not keep in the box

How about this one BUT "Made in France"

Looks really attractive and a Limited Edition, if that means anything - US$1500 new

https://wornandwound.com/introducing...-heritage-gmt/

anyone ordered/bought one - shipping in November?

post your alternatives - with prices
    Last edited by BillN; 31st August 2019 at 09:20.

Master
    That seems like a lot of money for a homage. Personally I would prefer a Steinhart, roughly £500 I think.

Craftsman
    Buy the real deal or just don’t bother.

These copies are naff.

What about a trusty Timex Q 1979 reissue? Will be back in stock any day at around £170...

I love homages but only the ones that are dirt CHEAP. This was 50 euros (used).

These are tough watches.

STORY

yes I agree only the ones that are dirt cheap btw that looks rather nice on you

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think that even with a "homage" you need to go for good quality - movement, case, bezel, face and a good comfortable bracelet

I like the Pepsi and Root beer designs, but with all my watches, I want to and do wear them, so if I bought a Rolex Pepsi I would not be bothered about "box and papers" and would be quite happy with "worn condition" as long as there was no major damage, BUT I have 3 Rolex SS watches and the more I get into watch appreciation the more I prefer vintage, and at the moment I just find the Oyster Perpetuals quite desirable - even though many would feel that 34mm/35mm is just too small.

(there again, I just cannot see me paying £10k for a Rolex GMT Pepsi, even if I could find one at that price)

Alternatives - Explorer II or Tudor GMT.
    It's just a matter of time...

Back on the dirt cheap options, Parnis GMT - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/KRQ263Mk

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Different colours, but I think this looks a nice alternative.

Pic from Hodinkee

How about Glycine airman no.1 36mm or the 40mm version? Bonus is they are not a Rolex copy.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

MKII Key West. Exceptional quality and not too pricey

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yema make "proper" watches. Yema is not a"homage" brand like Steinhart. Yema has been around, and "Made in France" since the 1940's.

Craftsman
    The real thing or a Steinhart - the quality for the money is exceptional.

I’d only ever buy a GMT with the adjustable local hour hand (which makes it useable when travelling). The ETA based ones that adjust the GMT hand are a dreadful design for travelling.
    Last edited by Christian; 1st September 2019 at 10:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’d only ever buy a GMT with the adjustable hour hand (ie a useable GMT when travelling). The ETA based ones that adjust the GMT hand are a dreadful design for travelling.
    Fully agree - I have one ETA based one (Dreadnaught Voyager) and such a pain to travel with that I don't take it anymore. I'll never buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Fully agree - I have one ETA based one (Dreadnaught Voyager) and such a pain to travel with that I don't take it anymore. I'll never buy another one.
    I’ve discounted so many watches that I initially like the look of when I see that movement in the specs. I’m assuming it’s cost of production that means they churn out this movement that doesn’t actually fit the purpose.

I’ve discounted so many watches that I initially like the look of when I see that movement in the specs. I’m assuming it’s cost of production that means they churn out this movement that doesn’t actually fit the purpose.
    I really enjoy a good GMT - it's handy! But for smaller manufacturers there really isn't many on the shelf options available for true GMTs - the 2893s pretty much your only option. Porsche Design had a custom module (I think) added on to make a it a true GMT, but that made the watch rather thick.

I'm not sure why no one has come out with a generic solution, but clearly the costs of developing a new movement for that purpose is too costly to make it worthwhile.

Master
    I’d only ever buy a GMT with the adjustable local hour hand (which makes it useable when travelling). The ETA based ones that adjust the GMT hand are a dreadful design for travelling.
    Am I right in thinking that you first have to set the hour hand to local time, then re-set the GMT hand to your home time? I agree that it's less convenient than just changing the hour hand to local time, especially if you are visiting several locations/time zones during your trip, but it sounds reasonably easy. Please correct me if I have this wrong.

Master
    Blog Entries

OFFICE GMT VS. TRAVELLER’S GMT

There are several ways to display the time in another, second, time zone. Watches with a GMT function are quite common and feature an extra 24-hour hand to indicate time in another time zone. There are so-called traveler’s GMT watches and office GMT watches.

The traveler’s GMT watch has an independent adjustable hour hand, like the Rolex GMT-Master II and all variations of the Omega Seamaster GMT (including this new Seamaster PO GMT.) This is the perfect watch for travellers because you can easily adjust the “local time” that is indicated by the hour, minute and second hand. When you unscrew the crown, pull it in first position, you can adjust the hour hand with one-hour increments. The 24-hour GMT hand will not be affected and keeps indicating the correct home-time. The date is connected to the local time, so you have perfect indications for the location where you just landed: the local time, local date and the 24-hour hand will indicate your home time.

On 99% of the other GMT watches, the 24-hour hand can be adjusted independently. This is the so-called office GMT watch. It allows the wearer to adjust the 24-hour hand to the correct time in a second time zone, for instance a business partner on the other side of the planet. You immediately see whether it is day or night in that other time zone. The hour, minute and second hand and the date will remain indicating the correct home time. When traveling this watch is less convenient, because when you want to adjust the time to your new local time, you also have to adjust the 24-hour hand that will not automatically remain in your home time.

As the nickname says, this is a great choice for wearing in the office. For travellers we recommend a true traveller’s GMT.
    Problem is, on the “office” GMT, if you travel forward 3 hours, you’ve either got to set the GMT hand back three hours then wind the watch forward three hours and re-hack. The date is then connected to the GMT hand (which isn’t correct for local date). Or, you use the GMT hand as a local hour indicator but now you are using a 24-hour hand as your local time.

I had one ETA based office GMT and sold it because I think the movement design leaves a lot to be desired for its supposed purpose. I have often seen GMT watches I like, such as the Zodiac or Longines, but have not bought as soon as I see its an office-GMT movement.

The term “office” GMT to me hints the movement doesn’t actually serve its true purpose and has to have a scenario invented to justify its bad design!

Nothing like the Rolex, but at least my G-shock MT-G shows both time zones on the main dial, swaps easily between the two and does all the time zones, including the 1/2 and 1/4 hour ones.

Tudor BB GMT??????

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post

These copies are naff.

These copies are naff.
    Homage and copy (fake) aren't the same thing. As long as you're not trying to pass a Homage off as a real Rolex what's the problem?

Homages have existed since the beginning of the watch industry. I own vintage Heuer Autavias.and there are plenty of homages of these now but I couldn't care one bit if people buy them (in fact I've owned one in the past). If someone likes the style of a watch but not enough to pay the the hugely inflated price (due to branding) of the original why is that naff?

It only seems to be (some) Rolex owners who have issues with Homages.

Rolex GMTs are great watches but are now around the £10k mark which is crazy for what they are.

Of course you could argue that it's better to buy something more original for the same money as a homage which is fair enough but saying they are naff is just snobbery.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 2nd September 2019 at 02:42.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Rolex GMTs are great watches but are now around the £10k mark which is crazy for what they are.
    £7150.

Alternatives to the Rolex GMT

For me it's a Rolex 16710, but if Grand Seiko ever decide to do this one in a 40mm case then I'd defintely look to try and buy one...
    Those spring drive second hands are hypnotic...

Last edited by Martylaa; 1st September 2019 at 23:46.

£7150.
    Only if you're willing to wait a few years

Master
    and buy a few DJ's and pearlmasters you don't actually want.

So not really 7k

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    and buy a few DJ's and pearlmasters you don't actually want.

So not really 7k
    Yeah more like £60k then.;)

Master

These copies are naff.
    Or if, like the vast majority, you prefer not to spend so much on a watch go for a steinhart.

Problem is, on the “office” GMT, if you travel forward 3 hours, you’ve either got to set the GMT hand back three hours then wind the watch forward three hours and re-hack. The date is then connected to the GMT hand (which isn’t correct for local date). Or, you use the GMT hand as a local hour indicator but now you are using a 24-hour hand as your local time.

I had one ETA based office GMT and sold it because I think the movement design leaves a lot to be desired for its supposed purpose. I have often seen GMT watches I like, such as the Zodiac or Longines, but have not bought as soon as I see its an office-GMT movement.

The term “office” GMT to me hints the movement doesn’t actually serve its true purpose and has to have a scenario invented to justify its bad design!
    I don't find changing the time on an 'office' GMT watch too much of a hassle, especially if it is not been worn constantly. The 'office' ones come with a quick set date unlike the others so this is more convenient, if the watch has not been worn for some time. Also billions of people live in timezone's that are not a full hour off GMT, which renders the quick set hour hand as irrelevant for people travelling there.

Mitch

Craftsman
    Waiting times are variable. I didn’t - and wouldn’t - wait that long.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    For me it's a Rolex 16710, but if Grand Seiko ever decide to do this one in a 40mm case then I'd defintely look to try and buy one...
    Those spring drive second hands are hypnotic...

That top model is absolutely stunning, do you know the reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    That top model is absolutely stunning, do you know the reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...48-introducing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT. Less than £500, ETA 'gubbins' & matt black dial, good lume, WR 300m, well engineered IMHO, & mine runs at 1 SPD if worn constantly. Slim profile that sits easily under a shirt cuff.

A few years ago I did like homage style watches but now I'm not so keen, especially if they are closely designed to a well known design like a Rolex GMT or Sub, to me it feels like your riding the back of a great and classy watch.

I'm sure they make the company owners money, but if you have the resources to make these watches then it would be great to see something unique and not just another Sub'alike

Master
    Seiko do an automatic true GMT movement but I've no idea if it's available for OEM use. Hamilton have the H14 movement and Alpina also have a true GMT movement also.
    Unfortunately none of the watches that use these movements are remotely appealing (to me - ymmv).
    I hold out hope that some enterprising company will do a 42-46mm pepsi / coke bezel using a true GMT movement for under the £2k mark or that I can slip the purchase of a GS GMT pictured above past the accountant.