closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newcastle Upon Tyne!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I worked in Newcastle for a while a few years ago ,we used to stay in the premier inn at the foot of the swing bridge ,I found it to be a great location,plenty of light refreshments in that area .
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I occasionally work in Newcastle also staying at the Premier Inn by the Millennium Swing Bridge. Its great seeing the Angel of the North driving up the A1 and last time I went by train the Flying Scotsman Steam Train followed us into the station. Usually take the Brompton as easy cycling along the river.

It's somewhere that feels like home, but all those bridges are very confusing when trying to drive anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

That's the bridge famously shown on the film 'Get Carter' where Michael Caine was walking along with his shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, that was worth two hours of my time

Just noticed your additions Tony, thanks for posting them, good set. I obviously appreciate the time it takes to process files, upload them then post the images here. Not to mention the effort of taking the shots! I'd started going up to Newcastle a lot recently, getting around the back streets and chares to try and spot some photographic opportunities to make it worthwhile lugging a camera, lenses and tripod around. Of course that avenue has been closed for the forseeable future. I've also been reading up on the city's history, and looking at lots of old images on the excellent Newcastle Upon Tyne History in photographs Facebook page.

PS. For anyone visiting the city, it's worth going up in the Baltic for a grand view of some of the Tyne's bridges . . .

Last edited by magirus; 5th April 2020 at 12:38.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just noticed your additions Tony, thanks for posting them, good set. I obviously appreciate the time it takes to process files, upload them then post the images here. Not to mention the effort of taking the shots! I'd started going up to Newcastle a lot recently, getting around the back streets and chares to try and spot some photographic opportunities to make it worthwhile lugging a camera, lenses and tripod around. Of course that avenue has been closed for the forseeable future. I've also been reading up on the city's history, and looking at lots of old images on the excellent Newcastle Upon Tyne History in photographs Facebook page.

PS. For anyone visiting the city, it's worth going up in the Baltic for a grand view of some of the Tyne's bridges . . .

Craftsman
    My office base was up there for 18 years albeit we travelled the length and breadth of the country. I put some of the foundation piles in for the Blinking Eye Bridge as the company I worked for were the main contractor

Had some wonderful memories of the NE and ended marrying a Geordie girl albeit sadly now divorced

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I like the surrounding area, and after going to Constantine College in Middlesbrough (lived part of the time in Redcar), started work in Darlington with Midland Bank. Places like Richmond and Durham were really nice both then and now, and worth visits.
    Replying to this a bit late, but - later to become the "Constantine Building", part of Teesside Polytechnic, then Teesside University. Attended many a lecture in that building myself.

Master
    Here's one I took of the Tyne Bridge myself in 2008:

We often have a Saturday out in Newcastle, and it will be one of the first things we do when we're allowed out.

Superb restaurants and pubs. We love it.

As someone who has lived here all my life I can attest to Newcastle being a fantastic city. Socially it's a great day / night out with good bars and restaurants. I must admit I'm missing a Saturday afternoon in Town :(

I left Newcastle end of the 70's but it's still home. I'll always miss it.

Craftsman
    I worked in Newcastle and the surrounding area for 19 years, commuting up there from North Yorkshire. I commute South to Leeds now and reading this thread makes me realise how much I miss the place. As soon as lock down is over I will make the effort to go back up for a walk along the quayside.