closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Show Us Your Vintage Rolex

Great watches here, Mr Milton has showed some stunning watches, would really like to see Mr Wood's collection too..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 3rd September 2019 at 23:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    We seem to be missing a few. Here are my pair of 16550.
    I thought you had a 1665 too Andy
    Nice cream dial on the 16550

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Do those of you who wear the vintage divers regularly find that, in spite of their age, that they retain their water resistance?

I ask because I like very much the idea of a vintage Rolex diver, but I wear a diver now because, amongst other things, I like the convenience of never needing to take my watch off. I’d hate to rely on a vintage in that way and ruin it so to the best of your experience, can their water resistance be relied on even now?
    I wouldn't trust one with an original plexi or aftermarket crystal but would trust one that had a replacement crystal at Rolex during recent service.
    Though unless the original was goosed i'd leave it be and avoid water.

Craftsman
    This is my only vintage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    This is my only vintage

Absolutely stunning. In great condition as well.

This is my 1675 GMT-Master SN 3183*** dating it to Y.O.M. 1970 or 1972 depending on which date matrix is consulted … but it has 1975 dated Rolex punched guarantee papers so may have been NOS when purchased. The bracelet has folded links. I'm considering taking the watch to Rolex St James for a service estimate which will likely be quoted c. £835 according to figures posted on PistonHeads.

My colour vision is not so good in fact I'm classified as being totally colour blind (according to standard colour test charts) … but I can see colours … I confuse red/green/brown and blue/mauve/purple … also pink/white. Somehow I manage to take reasonable colour photos and have 'workarounds' for colour corrections … including consulting friends. I'm aware that some GMT-Master bezels have a fuchsia purple colour - which looks plain red to me on examples I've seen on e.g. Chrono 24. Can someone please advise if my GMT-Master's faded bezel insert has a fuchsia colour - or is it another shade? I guess the blue is OK and a standard colour? I can see that the tritium has aged nicely. The hands I'm not sure about i.e. if original or service hands. The acrylic crystal was replaced when serviced a few years ago but I may have specified an aftermarket replacement - so Rolex will likely replace it with a genuine Rolex acrylic when serviced.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can advise / confirm actual bezel insert colours.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 19th January 2020 at 00:38. Reason: omission
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I managed to miss this thread the first time around so I’d better leave this here:

1983 16750

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    This is my 1675 GMT-Master SN 3183*** dating it to Y.O.M. 1970 or 1972 depending on which date matrix is consulted … but it has 1975 dated Rolex punched guarantee papers so may have been NOS when purchased.

I'm aware that some GMT-Master bezels have a fuchsia purple colour - which looks plain red to me on examples I've seen on e.g. Chrono 24. Can someone please advise if my GMT-Master's faded bezel insert has a fuchsia colour - or is it another shade? I guess the blue is OK and a standard colour? I can see that the tritium has aged nicely. .

dunk
    Nice watch.
    Bezel is slightly faded but from the photos I wouldn't say fuchsia (pink) yet. Close. Tritium is a lovely aged yellow.

My 1655 was bought new years after manufacture of you go by the serial number. Not unusual for these watches to have sat in ADs until sold. No waiting lists in the 60s/70s!

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gerard; 19th January 2020 at 08:54.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

My colour vision is not so good in fact I'm classified as being totally colour blind (according to standard colour test charts) … but I can see colours … I confuse red/green/brown and blue/mauve/purple … also pink/white. Somehow I manage to take reasonable colour photos and have 'workarounds' for colour corrections … including consulting friends. I'm aware that some GMT-Master bezels have a fuchsia purple colour - which looks plain red to me on examples I've seen on e.g. Chrono 24. Can someone please advise if my GMT-Master's faded bezel insert has a fuchsia colour - or is it another shade? I guess the blue is OK and a standard colour?
    Here are a couple of fuschia inserts (courtesy of VRF) for comparison:

Thank you … the fuchsia colour is more apparent in the comparison photos.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"