closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sacking off Virgin Media TV

Sacking off Virgin Media TV

With the recent price hikes and rubbish TV service I’ve decided to sack off the TV part of my VM subscription.

Can’t generally fault the BB, got to suffer the cost of a land line I could happily not have, so I guess that will still rest with VM.

The Sky Q system has the advantage of multi room for an extra £13/month for upto 4 rooms (boxes extra one off cost), which seems good value.

Sky Q plus multi room plus HD, plus sports for £55/month.

Sounds too good to be true?

Not costed up VM BB and phone standalone, my current VM package is around £100/month, so might be equivalent with a Sky and VM set up, but multi room included.

Am I missing something?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got so fed up with sky broadband I dumped it all and went to virgin, 7 years later I felt I was getting ripped off so went back to sky. Day 1 and I was having exactly the same broadband trouble so I cancelled it and went back to Virgin. I had absolutely no position to haggle so they charged me for everything and ripped me a new one! Now I pay £107 a month but am to chicken to change.

For 100Mb BB and home phone I currently pay £29 a month but had to make quite a few calls before I got the deal.

Went from virgin to sky for the same reasons,

Craftsman
    I'm with Virgin media I pay £43.50 a month for 350Mb broadband and landline with Anytime phone calls.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I got so fed up with sky broadband I dumped it all and went to virgin, 7 years later I felt I was getting ripped off so went back to sky. Day 1 and I was having exactly the same broadband trouble so I cancelled it and went back to Virgin. I had absolutely no position to haggle so they charged me for everything and ripped me a new one! Now I pay £107 a month but am to chicken to change.
    Have you got everything to pay that much?

I have VM 200mb broadband with Large TV (which includes BT sport only) I pay 57per month. I’ve got a 10pound a month discount for the moment. I think it’s going up to 61 next month?

Every year I call them up. Threaten to leave and they knock about a tenner off. When my friend did actually cancel (rather than just threaten to) they called him everyday for a week in the end offering a 50% discount for a year

Some interesting insights there, thanks.

I guess the clincher will be what VM will offer just for the BB and phone. I’ll claim not using the TV, just need freeview. (which would be the case without wife and kids!)

I've just had the regular "We're increasing your bill by £4 a month..." email.

As soon as I get back home I'll call them up, threaten to leave for Sky then sign up for another 12 month deal at favourable terms. Rinse and repeat in 6 months.

I'm on the Large TV with BT Sport and full BB and calls (never used, ever) for £68, although with the month free it worked out at £62 per month.

I keep looking at Sky and alternatives but once I do the sums and read reviews, Virgin has me hook, line and sinker

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I've just had the regular "We're increasing your bill by £4 a month..." email.

As soon as I get back home I'll call them up, threaten to leave for Sky then sign up for another 12 month deal at favourable terms. Rinse and repeat in 6 months.

I'm on the Large TV with BT Sport and full BB and calls (never used, ever) for £68, although with the month free it worked out at £62 per month.

I keep looking at Sky and alternatives but once I do the sums and read reviews, Virgin has me hook, line and sinker
    At least you got the email, they put mine up twice without notifying me, i missed it the first time, I would suggest all virgin customers check their bank statements thoroughly

Sacking off Virgin Media TV

So I called them on Saturday, managed to ultimately get through to a UK team.

Tried to dangle a £15/month discount which I ignored.

My TV package has been cancelled, so my monthly charge has dropped from £98 to £54.

Robbing sods.

£54 just for BB and phone. Was told to call back after a month and see what discounts can be applied.

New customer price? £31.

No idea how they can justify this, I’d have sacked the whole lot off, got overruled though!

Anyone had any joy with bringing this price down before trying next month? Really can’t be bothered to call them again if I’m not going to get anywhere.

Last edited by eletos; 2nd September 2019 at 20:05.

It really does depend on who you talk to. As said above I had to call a few times before I got it down to £29 a month.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    So I called them on Saturday, managed to ultimately get through to a UK team.

Tried to dangle a £15/month discount which I ignored.

My TV package has been cancelled, so my monthly charge has dropped from £98 to £54.

Robbing sods.

£54 just for BB and phone. Was told to call back after a month and see what discounts can be applied.

New customer price? £31.

No idea how they can justify this, I’d have sacked the whole lot off, got overruled though!

Anyone had any join with bringing this price down, really can’t be bothered to call them again if I’m not going to get anywhere.

I cancelled just over a month ago and guess what, they called with a cracking deal. Full TV package (excluding Movies) but Sky and BT Sports HD, 2 boxes, 200MB BB and talk anytime for £66 per month. The call will come.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I had a similar experience a few years ago. I was always a cable broadband customer (was NTL then virgin) and Sky convinced me to go to them. I was adamant I didn’t want to because I told them their broadband would be terrible (down the phone line) they assured me it was amazing now... I signed up and indeed the broadband was more dial-up! I should have cancelled everything but the sky TV menu is way more pleasing to the eye than virgin so I kept it. I did end up getting virgin broadband too! Sky took off the broadband price and gave it to me free (wasn’t even worth free) so the ‘change’ cost me more than I was paying in the end.

Next year I changed all over to Virgin again for the cost. I’d be quite happy with everything virgin if they sorted the TV menu, it’s such an awful look to it with that maroon colour! It looks 20 years old.

I’m not really too fussed for TV anyway as I usually just run YouTube through my PS4 and watch fishing/cars/watches/shooting/etc but broadband has to be good and virgin cable is just that, I could count on one hand the amount of issues I’ve had in years (over 10?) and honestly it’s like 3 times and two of those were because of the routers dying of old age.

Master
    We sacked Virgin TV two years ago but kept the broadband. We bought a Roku stick instead and haven't looked back.

It has all the terrestrial channel apps, Netflix, Google Play, Prime and dozens of other wired and wonderful "channels".

It can be a bit slow at booting up but it wS the lower spec option at the time. Newer ones are likely to be quicker.

Now need to beat Virgin down on the price of our broadband.....

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Craftsman
    Sky at old place. Moved, sky said they could not do fibre so I had Virgin 100MB with no TV or phone at £40.00. Had for about 10 months then my wife upgraded the speed to 200MB for £7 more, not knowing that this constitutes ‘a new contract’ therefore being stuck for another 12 months! Will go 4g/5g next time, kids just hammer Netflix these days.

Journeyman
    Virgin really don't care about keeping customers or offering discounts for "loyalty".
    My pre-paid line rental ran out and when I noticed the increased monthly cost...they wouldn't let me pre pay any more. Apparently they don't do it any more and they are not telling people when its up for renewal anymore.
    Phoned them up as I'm out of contract/discount and they offered me a grand total of -£5...yes, with the "new" discount, the price quoted to me was £5 more than I was paying!
    I asked to remove the TV and they knocked off a quid a month...so I ended up keeping it. Might try again this week...

And the mobile...wow, they really don't give a ****. Wife had a sim only deal from them, but the data was only 600mb or something. They advertised a deal for something like 5Gb for £6, so a little cheaper than we were paying. You can have it if your a new mobile customer who is also a TV/BB/LL customer...existing customer, forget about it. Point blank refused to even agree of the existence of the deal on the phone (webchat agreed the deal existed and said I could have it, but would have to phone up at which point it all went wrong).

I've just renewed my contract with Virgin. I have absolutely everything (need all sport for work). Top Sky deal has far worse broadband for a bit less and I'd have to go back to BT Sport and pay them £25 a month to get that too.

My new deal is £99 a month which includes my mobile phone. I was with Virgin Mobile anyway paying £12 for 12GB data. The new deal is unlimited data.

In total I was paying £129 for TV/Phone/500(!)mb BB plus £12 for mobile so I'm saving over £30 a month with this deal.

It's actually even cheaper if you're a new customer. You can get the same deal for £89.

In fact if anyone wants to do it let me know, I can get us both £50 off by doing a refer a friend. Perhaps like other deals in the past we can pass on our respective referals to the next TZer wanting to join?

I'm not affiliated in any way, just can't fault the deal if it works for you.

With Virgin, I pay £35.50 per month for fibre broadband and M+ TV. No landline.

Just spent 30 minutes basically on hold while I was transferred to the 'relevant department' after rejecting their initial offer to suspend the £4 increase for 6 months.

This is going to be hard work and I'm not even in contract with them

I was on a promo deal for 100mb Internet, tv and phone line for £36 a month which went up to £56 at the end of the 12 months and was going to go up to £59.50 in October. Phoned them last night and after waiting 30 mins said I wanted to cancel, was put through to another team and after waiting again was offered the same package I was on for £32 a month for the next 12 months.

Based on all the replies above seems hit or miss depending on the package you’re on and who you speak to.

I’m on a M70 speed BB package even though it isn’t shown on their price structure..
    I had 100mbs before I asked them to waiver the £3.50 price increase.not sure how fast this package is ..

Craftsman
    I just called a week ago after getting my bill increased to 110 the bill was reduced to 73 for the same thing.

I recon I could have got it for less but was happy enough with the deal offered full house plus sport package

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I was on a promo deal for 100mb Internet, tv and phone line for £36 a month which went up to £56 at the end of the 12 months and was going to go up to £59.50 in October. Phoned them last night and after waiting 30 mins said I wanted to cancel, was put through to another team and after waiting again was offered the same package I was on for £32 a month for the next 12 months.

Based on all the replies above seems hit or miss depending on the package you’re on and who you speak to.
    It's a simple formula, - ring them and ask if they can do anything because of <seen cheaper deal, going to use a freeview box, circumstance has changed & you can no longer afford it, etc>, they may offer you something... turn it down (maybe tell them you'll think about it, then call back and cancel contract, - you have to give 30 days notice. Within that 30 days someone will call you, - this is where the decent deals are offered as you've shown you're serious. If no-one rings, then you have 30 days to cancel the cancellation, if you wish, - so no risk.

Finally got through to the right department after about 40 minutes and from a potential £72 a month with the increase I got it down to £60 for 12 months.

This is the Bigger Bundle with BT Sport, 108mbs and free weekend calls. I was too exhausted to argue for more so I'm happy with that.

I'll try for better in a year's time

Think it's about time I looked at sky packages, paying £54 a month for entertainment and movies only
    No broadband or sports

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Finally got through to the right department after about 40 minutes and from a potential £72 a month with the increase I got it down to £60 for 12 months.

This is the Bigger Bundle with BT Sport, 108mbs and free weekend calls. I was too exhausted to argue for more so I'm happy with that.

I'll try for better in a year's time

Just a little update on this. I thought I'd agreed the deal above over the phone but when the contract came through it was only £60 for 6 months then an increase for the final 6 months. So not what was agreed.

I phoned back and asked them to look at it but they said nothing could be done, so I cancelled. Went back home and gave the good news to my wife who just looked at me with disdain.

After five days of face-palming myself and thinking "What have I done?", and really not wanting to change providers as the reviews for BT are terrible and I don't particularly want Sky without BT Sport, I got the call today. I agreed to stay with Virgin for 12 months on a TV Maxit deal with BT Sport, a broadband boost to 200mbs and weekend calls, all for £49 a month.

And the contract has come through as discussed so job done

I'm dreading making the call in 12 months' time though

Sounds like a great deal.

The whole process is a nightmare, VM know their BB is the best, their BT Sport package is cheaper than Sky.

It’s a game of Chicken, why should it be so difficult!