closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An engagement diving watch....

Master

An engagement diving watch....

I've never been in such a big watch related dilemma (of the good kind, but still difficult). My lovely girlfriend, would like to buy me a watch for a once in a lifetime occasion, the problem is I can't seem to decide which one I like. Honestly.

While there are a few watches I like, I am a bit of a flipper and for the many years I have been collecting (buying & selling more like) diving watches....only a handful have made it to my watch box as permanent residents there.

You'd be amazed how, a few thousand dollar watches, have had to made space for cheaper, but technically more interesting (to me) watches, like say an SBBN015 Tuna or a JP2000 Aqualand.

I highly prize a solid technical watch over fine polishing or decorated movements.

I would like this watch to be a life long companion (like my wife to be). So it has to be timeless, of 40-42mm proportion with a good quality st/steel bracelet and from a reliable (for parts availability) brand. It also has to have a 200m+ WR rating minimum and an Automatic movement. Like any other watch I have ever owned, it needs to come dive with me and do a good job out of it.

I asked my girlfriend if she would consider buying me a Yema Superman Heritage (been eyeing it for a long time) or Auricoste Spirotechnique but she's having none of it, she says it has to be from a good brand (take it as in one she has heard about) and more high end. She wants it to be a 'special' watch for me.

For a budget of up to 3.5K Euros, there are honestly very few watches which I honestly feel I could hold onto for the rest for my life.

If it were 10 or so years ago it would have been a very easy choice. Get a Rolex 14060M and call it a day. But I'd never buy one at the current prices, my money or not.

After months of browsing and mulling over the choices, the only two I am considering are the new Aquaracer 300m Chronograph (CAY 2110) or the Tudor Pelagos (probably blue). Do you feel these are good candidates? What other candidates would you consider/advise if you were in my position?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts :) !

Master
    If you really want it and can afford the extra just get the Rolex and be done with it :)

If not, Pelagos is good, as is BB58 and Oris are doing some stunning divers now.

Master
    Omega Seamaster 300

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...ch/p/17331438/

Classic watch, brand recognition will appeal to her, and with a discount not much beyond budget.

Black bay 58 would get my vote, it won't go out of fashion.

Master
    I'd get an Omega Planet Ocean. My wife has had hers around 7 years and it's been diving with us in several places around the world, plus she's not exactly careful with it, and it's survived superbly.

Having owned a Pelagos and Planet Ocean myself, the Omega felt much more special.

Master
    Thanks for replies. Keep them coming :)

My only other special watch is a gift by my family for my graduation an Omega SMPc (polished black dial no waves) which I also love.

I have considered the Tudor BB 58. Am not sure about the rivet bracelet though....to me looks a bit too much of a marketing thing than a technical feature per se.

Pelagos blue all day long. It's genuinely different in terms of materials and tech at the price point.
    Solid brand, but not showy. Not really anything you can fall out of love with in 5 years.
    And its availability is good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    I have considered the Tudor BB 58. Am not sure about the rivet bracelet though....to me looks a bit too much of a marketing thing than a technical feature per se.
    Having just got one, I think the bracelet looks great, the rivets are actually way more subtle than I was expecting.

Master
    Very odd. The watches you actually want because of what they mean, you're not allowed because she wants to get you one that means something to you.

The black/grey pelagis LHD is a fantastic watch if you have the wrist for it. I tried on the black 39mm planet ocean the other day and while chunky, it was a very very nice watch.

Master
    Because it hasn’t been mentioned yet, a Breitling might fit the brief?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe because my first decent watch was a Tudor - and because they now make some interesting and very attractive watches that you might actually be able to get your hands on - I would go Tudor. I would definitely try them on in the metal before deciding which model because they can be chunkier than frontal pics suggest. Good luck with whichever brand/model you choose.

Journeyman

An engagement diving watch....

I no longer follow the price as I’ve bought the alarm version few years ago,but what about the standard JLC navy seals? Back then I saw one with rubber strap for around 5k usd (the rubber or even metal bracelet version cost a bit more)

Edit: just saw the current price,too much of a stretch from your budget...around 7k eur...

Journeyman
    How about a Panerai?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I think 3.5k can only get a pre owned panerai? But pre owned 000/005/111/112 should make a solid keeper

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really pleased with my BB58.

Rivets are not significant in the flesh. Time keeping is excellent.

Master
    Thanks for replies. Keep them coming :)

My only other special watch is a gift by my family for my graduation an Omega SMPc (polished black dial no waves) which I also love.

I thought that as well but honestly you don’t notice them and actually I now like them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This was my engagement diver, wore it every day for 18 years until I got another watch for my 15th anniversary. Then another for 20 :-)

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick
    02.0473.670 - SS with white dial & black bezel
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/t5pq19qzf/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/3mxdo97fj/zenith.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]

Master
    BB58 gets my vote as well

Oh and congratulations :)

Remember happy wife happy life !!

Craftsman
    Congratulations,
    I am in a similar position, getting married next year with my fiancee wanting to buy a wedding gift, we are going for a Tudor BB58.

If I was in your shoes I’d be getting a black dial Omega Seamaster in a heartbeat.

Maybe if you really love each other you could tell her she doesn't need to spend 3.5k euros to prove it?

Maybe I have my priorities wrong, but it just sounds a bit cakey to me

Master
    As a PO owner I can support that as a suggestion, but its out of budget new. I am currently saving for the Pelagos in blue myself, so that seems a good choice to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Maybe if you really love each other you could tell her she doesn't need to spend 3.5k euros to prove it?

I agree.

Master
    I'd also plump for an omega PO, you should be able to pick one up on the grey market for your budget.

Master
    Thanks for all valid replies...

Very interesting to hear different opinions and input.

I will also consider the Black Bay 58. I am still trying to convince her not to spend so much on a gift, but in the end it's her choice.

I will not go for another Omega, since I have my SMPc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    This was my engagement diver, wore it every day for 18 years until I got another watch for my 15th anniversary. Then another for 20 :-)

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick
    02.0473.670 - SS with white dial & black bezel
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/t5pq19qzf/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/3mxdo97fj/zenith.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]
    Perfect. That's what happens when you go for a simple, classic design.

Being a solid watch, helps with keeping it look fresh for 20 years. Enjoy it in best health for the next 20+ years!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I would go BB58, I recently got only for my wedding and it’s not left my wrist yet! Love it

Master
    Omega PO or latest SM300 at that budget
    Lots of colour and size options, and even GMT as an extra, not to mention to fantastic in house movement and superior WR on the PO

Craftsman
    I'm a bit of a Seamaster fan and the new SMP Diver 300 is my favourite of all the watches I've owned......However, as Omega is off the table a blue Pelagos would be a great choice

For diving heritage have you thought of Doxa, quirky and you don't see many about....not for everyone though

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I agree. That said I did get a Sinn 556 (more like 1k) as an engagement present from my wife, as we thought it fair that if she gets a ring I have something as well.

Master
    My first thought was an Omega SMP300 but you already have one of these.

That said, I would be looking at an alternative to a diver as that base is covered and look at an Omega Aqua Terra for a watch to complement this.

If you like Seiko divers, I’d probably have a look at the Pelagos LHD. It’s a proper tool watch, titanium, and a little different. I’d avoid the blue as you may go off the colour in a few years time and wish you had a more classic / neutral look.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I'd get an Omega Planet Ocean. My wife has had hers around 7 years and it's been diving with us in several places around the world, plus she's not exactly careful with it, and it's survived superbly.

Having owned a Pelagos and Planet Ocean myself, the Omega felt much more special.
    Given the requirement for a "known" brand, you can't go wrong with an Omega PO

If being known/famous brand wasn't a concern, the Pelagos has got a lot going for it as does the bb58 as others have mentioned

Smooth

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Perfect. That's what happens when you go for a simple, classic design.

Being a solid watch, helps with keeping it look fresh for 20 years. Enjoy it in best health for the next 20+ years!
    Love the Zenith but my only slight regret was that I didn’t buy the Sub.

At the time I viewed Rolex as an old mans brand and viewed the Zeniths slim movement and case as superior. They were similarly priced.

Try and think you you may view your choice in 20 years time.

Master
    Love the Zenith but my only slight regret was that I didn’t buy the Sub.

At the time I viewed Rolex as an old mans brand and viewed the Zeniths slim movement and case as superior. They were similarly priced.

Try and think you you may view your choice in 20 years time.
    True. The Sub would have been worth much much more today than it was back then.

On the other hand, you have a watch that is much more 'unique'.

I am trying to think how it will look 20 years down the line, as hard as it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Black bay 58 would get my vote, it won't go out of fashion.
    what he said

I've not dived with the BB58, but I really don't like diving with my BB Steel. The bezel is fiddly and I don't find it particularly easy to read underwater. Might be because there's so much steel on it, but there we are.

I probably should have bought the Pelagos, but was put off by the size of it. Hey ho.

I did find that the Bremont S500 was good underwater, and imagine that the S2000 is even better. But they're massive topside and just get in the way.

Given the longevity of the Seiko Marinemaster line, perhaps that might be a timeless design?

Journeyman
    I read the title and immediately thought Tudor Pelagos before seeing you post that. Mainly because I'd like one too haha

Craftsman
    I've never been in such a big watch related dilemma (of the good kind, but still difficult). My lovely girlfriend, would like to buy me a watch for a once in a lifetime occasion, the problem is I can't seem to decide which one I like. Honestly.

While there are a few watches I like, I am a bit of a flipper and for the many years I have been collecting (buying & selling more like) diving watches....only a handful have made it to my watch box as permanent residents there.

You'd be amazed how, a few thousand dollar watches, have had to made space for cheaper, but technically more interesting (to me) watches, like say an SBBN015 Tuna or a JP2000 Aqualand.

I highly prize a solid technical watch over fine polishing or decorated movements.

I would like this watch to be a life long companion (like my wife to be). So it has to be timeless, of 40-42mm proportion with a good quality st/steel bracelet and from a reliable (for parts availability) brand. It also has to have a 200m+ WR rating minimum and an Automatic movement. Like any other watch I have ever owned, it needs to come dive with me and do a good job out of it.

I asked my girlfriend if she would consider buying me a Yema Superman Heritage (been eyeing it for a long time) or Auricoste Spirotechnique but she's having none of it, she says it has to be from a good brand (take it as in one she has heard about) and more high end. She wants it to be a 'special' watch for me.

For a budget of up to 3.5K Euros, there are honestly very few watches which I honestly feel I could hold onto for the rest for my life.

If it were 10 or so years ago it would have been a very easy choice. Get a Rolex 14060M and call it a day. But I'd never buy one at the current prices, my money or not.

After months of browsing and mulling over the choices, the only two I am considering are the new Aquaracer 300m Chronograph (CAY 2110) or the Tudor Pelagos (probably blue). Do you feel these are good candidates? What other candidates would you consider/advise if you were in my position?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts :) !
    Having read this I’d be concerned that what you’re looking for is a watch to buy instead of the Submariner, which has become rather expensive. If that is the case, stop. Think for a moment. Then ask yourself whether anything else is likely to satisfy you. If you’re sure an alternative will suffice - all to the good, resume your search. But, if you doubt that, even for a moment, then don’t do it. Don’t buy anything else. Because given time, you’ll want the Rolex again and will end up with a watch that you have sentimental attachment to, potentially, that you would rather were a Submariner and, of course, the need to buy a Submariner. This could be expensive in both ways.

So I’d suggest it what you want is a Submariner, don’t buy anything else, grow the pot over time and then buy what you really wanted. You’ll appreciate it all the more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I second that. The new SM is a stunner and has one the most technically advanced movements out there!.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    The watch head and the movement are lovely. Really like what they’ve done. However, the bracelet, in my opinion, is an abomination. I particularly dislike how they’ve got the bracelet ‘feeding’ into the end links, rather than the end link feeding out toward the bracelet. The visual flow is backward to me and I can’t get past it.

I’d have bought one but for that (I don’t like straps for everyday wear). I hope this is a temporary visual quirk.

Seiko MM300, fits budget and is a keeper

That budget will buy an immaculate example of one of the now-discontinued GS 9F dive watches, ie SBGX015 or SBGX017. One of the few GS that have enjoyed pre-owned upward price movement in the short term. And very very nice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    True. The Sub would have been worth much much more today than it was back then.

On the other hand, you have a watch that is much more 'unique'.

I am trying to think how it will look 20 years down the line, as hard as it may be.
    Pick something with classic design, 58 fits the bill and is in budget, but if you yearn for a Sub then dig deeper.

Master
    Thanks all for your replies.

I will not go pre-owned. It is not right for a gift of this kind, to get a watch bought & used by someone else previously. Both me and her see it that way for this occasion.

I am not interested in an expensive Seiko. I have had my fair share of them, along four SBDX001s. The new model, while keeping the same uncomfortable and somewhat poorly designed (in my eyes) bracelet has almost doubled in price. I also do not like the crown action & position at 3:45 hours.

However, the certain deal breaker is the Seiko service network (or lack of). Unfortunately, today, a man with a 'higher' end model is still treated like another taking in an old Seiko 5. That is my experience. I hope it will change as I absolutely adore my SBBN015 I bought back when they were released.

A Rolex is out of the question. There is no way a Sub should cost 7K+. I bought my last 114060M for 5K Euros new from AD back when they were released and thought it was overpriced.

I have scrtached the Aquracer 300m Chrono from the list. For the exact same price I'd rather have the much cheaper Yema/Doxa/Auricoste, let alone having a higher RRP. I have also discounted the Black Bay 58 as it looks/feels too 'dressy' for me. Rose on crown, no dive extension, riveted bracelet etc.

I have taken your advice and gave her a watch list to choose from. I made it very clear that purchase price should not be a factor, but rather she should buy the one she likes the most. I also added a blue SMPc Chrono 41.5mm to her list. It's a lovely looking and feeling watch. Should still be different enough to go with my 3 hander black SMPc should she choose to go for it.

Final list goes like this:

- Auricoste Spirotechnique (steel - jubilee bracelet)
    - Doxa Sub 300T (new) - any colour she likes but excl. Searambler
    - Yema Superman Heritage Blue
    - Omega SMPc Chrono 41.5mm Blue
    - Tudor Pelagos (new) Black
    - Tudor Pelagos (new) Blue

Hand on heart, there are no other watches in the sub 7K bracket I would rather have.

This way I am sure it will be a great surprise for me. I honestly like each and every one of them for different reasons. Whatever she chooses, I hope that I will cherish it for the rest of my life. I will let you know the outcome :).
    Last edited by buddy13; 3rd September 2019 at 09:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think giving your girlfriend a list and awaiting a surprise is a great idea - and the list you have developed ensures you will get an interesting watch to treasure

ATB

Jon

Banned
    Lmao the BB58 is not dressy at all!

I've stopped wearing my 14060M as the 58 is so much more interesting. I catch myself admiring it.

None of your list compare in my opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassette View Post
    Lmao the BB58 is not dressy at all!

I've stopped wearing my 14060M as the 58 is so much more interesting. I catch myself admiring it.

None of your list compare in my opinion.
    Have to agree with this, the 58 isn’t dressy by any measure.

Have you actually handled one or just looked at images online?

I think when you see something in high res big images on screen minor features take on more significance than the actual watch.

Master
    That's a good list with some lovely watches, I'm sure you'll enjoy your gift and cherish it as special

Master
    Have to agree with this, the 58 isn’t dressy by any measure.

Have you actually handled one or just looked at images online?

I think when you see something in high res big images on screen minor features take on more significance than the actual watch.
    I have admittedly only looked at photos online.

For a little more, I prefer the Pelagos though. It's more along the 'tool' watch lines.

The 14060M is another beast for me. It has Triplock crown, with no crown tube showing. It also has a simpler looking bracelet with a dive extension, while the 58 does not.

I told you that the smallest details bug me off...hence the need for a list :)