closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebel 1911 BTR

Ebel 1911 BTR

I am very curious about this Ebel Chronograph. Is this a watch worth getting as Ebel seems to have disappeared from the world of Horology!! The EL Primero movements in the pre BTR models in Gold/steel are available but the BTR seem to be non existent,are the new movements faulty
    I need some guidance please

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app

Only worth getting if you really like the watch. They are well regarded because of the movement, Ebel being well made, and the comparatively low prices.
    It's just a matter of time...

Thanks for the reply because I really do like the watch just a bit unsure why there seems to be question mark around Ebel nowadays

You might want to read my review of the model. It's my favorite chronograph watch. 45mm but doesn't feel oversized at all. I feel it's one of the most underrated watches out there.

Review of Ebel BTR Chronograph

EBEL BTR

What an in depth and thoroughly illuminating review. I am now determined to purchase one. I will try over the next 3/5 months looking for one. I have noticed that the bracelet model seems different to the leather version? Is it an interchangeable model bracelet / leather? . Once again thanks for an awesome review

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatch1 View Post
    What an in depth and thoroughly illuminating review. I am now determined to purchase one. I will try over the next 3/5 months looking for one. I have noticed that the bracelet model seems different to the leather version? Is it an interchangeable model bracelet / leather? . Once again thanks for an awesome review
    The strap and bracelet are easy to change, being two screws on each side of the case. I’ve had three BTR Chronos and a BTR GMT in total and I regret letting mine go. It got more comments than any other watch I’ve had. If you haggle you should pick one up for around £1500-£1800. RRP before being discontinued was around the £4200 mark.

Thanks for the price guide. I was thinking it would fall along such parameters.
    I will look out for one in good condition and I am not in a hurry.
    It's a really nice watch.
    Again thanks

Many thanks for the guide with regards to the bracelet and leather straps. I will look out for the bracelet version primarily if available
    Great info

Master
    I tried one on at a Fellows Auction I think it went for under a grand , it was some time back.
    Thought it was excellent quality and always thought I might get one probably now for £1500-1600.
    From what I understand Ebel simply got squashed between Breitling and Tag. I think they then concentrated on ladies classic watches.

BTR was Ebels last attempt to play in the big leagues. It was very ambitious project. But it didn't pay off. They were forced to sell rest of the movements to Breguet and Ulysse Nardin.

Ebel BTR was like WV Phaeton or Peugeot 607 among the Mercs, Jaguars and BMWs. Very fine product but it lacked the "badge". It didn't sell enough and they were forced to go back to cheaper bulk ETA/quartz models.

BTR is a LOT of watch for the money. The quality is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    The strap and bracelet are easy to change, being two screws on each side of the case. I’ve had three BTR Chronos and a BTR GMT in total and I regret letting mine go. It got more comments than any other watch I’ve had. If you haggle you should pick one up for around £1500-£1800. RRP before being discontinued was around the £4200 mark.
    Yeah they're easy to change... but BEWARE of losing the tiny screws that keep the bracelet/strap attached. Those are special screws and they're very difficult to find.

Hi JPE Where would you suggest a good place to source a model like yours. Saw one on eBay located in the USA not too keen on that one
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Yeah they're easy to change... but BEWARE of losing the tiny screws that keep the bracelet/strap attached. Those are special screws and they're very difficult to find.

They are nice watches indeed..I like the Gmt version too

Master
    Ebel seems to have disappeared from the world of Horology!!
    Yes, what’s happened to Ebel? They made brilliant watches, but seem to have gone quiet in recent times. No marketing, perhaps?

Master
    Beware that you have to buy an Ebel strap - unlike the original watch purchase, the accessories are not discounted and can be expensive. Very under-rated brand, I own a few and have had zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Beware that you have to buy an Ebel strap - unlike the original watch purchase, the accessories are not discounted and can be expensive. Very under-rated brand, I own a few and have had zero issues.
    Are the straps still being produced particularly for the BTR as I intend to purchase a used one on a steel bracelet.I would be interested in acquiring a leather strap with deployment buckle from Ebel if possible

Hi JPE Where would you suggest a good place to source a model like yours. Saw one on eBay located in the USA not too keen on that one

Not really. I bought mine on Ebay. Full set and everything.

I have never bought anything from Chrono24 but people in Finland (my home country) use it a lot. Here you can see pretty good idea of the prices.
    https://www.chrono24.com/ebel/1911-btr--mod575.htm#gref

PS: I highly recommend buying the bracelet version. If you want a bracelet later it will cost you 800 euros. So if they're selling the watch on strap and it's cheaper there's a reason for that.
    Last edited by JPE; 31st August 2019 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    They are nice watches indeed..I like the Gmt version too
    It's pretty clever how they used the chrono case for GMT functions. Here's a video, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJjjp2xQwM

Master
    It's pretty clever how they used the chrono case for GMT functions. Here's a video, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJjjp2xQwM
    Thats a looker!

Master
    This place......

Well, after taking a read of the review and looking through photos, and found one on eBay fairly close to me, so put in a cheeky offer which was just accepted...!!

Hopefully will be able to meet up with the buyer next week and will post photos

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This place......

Well, after taking a read of the review and looking through photos, and found one on eBay fairly close to me, so put in a cheeky offer which was just accepted...!!

Hopefully will be able to meet up with the buyer next week and will post photos
    Congrats!

What color & combo?

Master
    Congrats!

What color & combo?
    Same as in your post - the white dialled chronograph.

Possibly needs a service so talking to the seller about getting that done as part of the deal

Is it the one with an RRP set in US dollars. It was originally bought in Florida. Anyway Good luck and be aware that custom duties have to be paid. I could be wrong but caveat emptor

All combos are nice. White is my absolute favorite though. I really like the black/yellow too. Pretty nice. The black/red is cool too but it only goes well with the strap as it doesn't have polished bezel (which I like).

Master
    It is that one - bought originally in Florida, but as I understand it, the import duty responsibility is with the person that imported it - not with whoever buys it next

Is it the one with an RRP set in US dollars. It was originally bought in Florida. Anyway Good luck and be aware that custom duties have to be paid. I could be wrong but caveat emptor

Never seen this perpetual calendar one in person but the steel ones go for around $6K-$7K now. It must be one of the cheapest perpetual calendars.

Never seen this perpetual calendar one in person but the steel ones go for around $6K-$7K now. It must be one of the cheapest perpetual calendars.

I do prefer the earlier and smaller version with El Primero

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    I do prefer the earlier and smaller version with El Primero
    This one?

The new one doesn't look too shabby.

Last edited by JPE; 7th December 2019 at 00:36.

This one?

Yes
    Last edited by cirotti; 7th December 2019 at 00:40.

They’re nice watches, a niche market, I suspect which means independent dealers don’t really want them and consequently bid low or not at all
    I’d buy one with an EP movement

Master
    I didn’t end up buying the one I won on eBay as it turned out it did need a service. After speaking to Ebel, that was going to cost in the region of £1,100 and even a independent was around £500-600, so put me off somewhat.

I think they did a discovery dodel 1911 with a 7750 movement that looked similar, seen these in the 500-800 range
    not an EP of course.....

Master
    It is the EP model that I fancied, and especially the white dial. I already have a Zenith Doublematic, so adding the Ebel would have been nice, but not with that service cost

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I didn’t end up buying the one I won on eBay as it turned out it did need a service. After speaking to Ebel, that was going to cost in the region of £1,100 and even a independent was around £500-600, so put me off somewhat.
    Yeah it's like buying a used exotic luxury car. The purchase price might not be that bad but the maintenance cost blows you away.

I have an independent service guy who has very reasonable prices.

Pretty good video of the history of the brand. Recommended (not only because it has a few of my photos hahah).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt3i...xha_pOI9ssaEEQ