closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to sell engagement ring?

Hybrid View

Craftsman

Where to sell engagement ring?

*If this should be in the SC please move it, though I am asking for a family member and not selling anything myself, just not sure if I should post it there or in SC*

Now the admin notice out the way, a family member is getting divorced and he wants to sell the engagement ring. Are there any places which give a good price for the ring or should I tell him to just turn up at say Jewellery Quarter and go to a few shops to sell it them? He wants back as much as he can.

Master
    (I'm sure he's thought about this, but assuming that the ring was given to his wife is it legally his to sell?)

he could hawk it around the JQ but wont get much for it there - best off trying to sell on fleabay if he has a cert for it - pawn shops etc just look at the stone and what they can get one for - silly offers.

Craftsman
    Yes the ring was given back to him by her as she no longer wants it. Everything from the marriage that he brought her was given back excluding a personal plate.

And he does have all the certificates, receipts etc, was brought from JQ too

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Retail price and selling price privately are worlds apart.

Whats the ring details, stones, size, clarity etc etc.

Master
    Smack Converters?

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Yes the ring was given back to him by her as she no longer wants it. Everything from the marriage that he brought her was given back excluding a personal plate.

And he does have all the certificates, receipts etc, was brought from JQ too

Sounds like he already hit the jackpot, by not being taken to the cleaners by his ex. Out of interest, do you know roughly what the ring was bought for?

Craftsman
    It was 4000 something, the number started with a 4, all I can remember

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    (I'm sure he's thought about this, but assuming that the ring was given to his wife is it legally his to sell?)
    Legally it's not his to sell or otherwise do anything with (assuming it was handed over to start with). There are quite a few cases about this.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Legally it's not his to sell or otherwise do anything with (assuming it was handed over to start with). There are quite a few cases about this.
    But the OP has said:

Craftsman
    I’ll have to check the rules about the SC then, selling via PM isn’t my intension though as I’d like to stick to the rules.

edit - just saw the seller must own the item themselves, I guess this is the tricky part?

I guess this is the tricky part, they never had a civil marriage so legally speaking they were never married. The couple chose to stick to the religious ceremony only. Let’s not turn this into a religion thread though please!
    She 100% doesn’t want anything from their wedding, when she came to collect her belongings she only took what she brought herself.
    Last edited by EmilA; 3rd September 2019 at 19:27. Reason: Updated response

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    She 100% doesn’t want anything from their wedding, when she came to collect her belongings she only took what she brought herself.

She sounds like my kind of girl!

I’m always on the lookout for a new ex-wife...... have you got her number?

I’ll have to check the rules about the SC then, selling via PM isn’t my intension though as I’d like to stick to the rules.

edit - just saw the seller must own the item themselves, I guess this is the tricky part?

I guess this is the tricky part, they never had a civil marriage so legally speaking they were never married. The couple chose to stick to the religious ceremony only. Let’s not turn this into a religion thread though please!
    Lucky she doesn't want anything from the marriage as that's her entitlement. Never understood couples who have their Nikkah but not the legal ceremony. I have family who have done this and find it unreasonably stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    But the OP has said:
    ah fair enough, I missed that!

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Legally if she threw the ring back at him, it is his to sell as the the gift was rejected.

Master
    I think if it's a decent Solitaire it's worth something but peanuts otherwise.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I think if it's a decent Solitaire it's worth something but peanuts otherwise.
    This Im afraid.Mate got a shock when the jeweller offered scrap value for the gold and told Him He wasn’t interested in the diamonds(metal detecting find)

Journeyman
    If the diamond is big enough,ask the jeweller to repolish the engraving then try to sell on ebay or other online platforms

Since I’m also a jeweller,usually I do repurchase sold jewellery for a cut that was discussed beforehand (though there are some jewellery that I cannot take back too,especially the expensive,special order pieces)

Craftsman
    Thank you all for the responses. I think the ring has just over 1.3 carats in it with just over 1 carat on the main diamond alone. I know it’s got high clarity, virtually flawless and IGE(?) certification.

I’ll get the full details off him and post it in SC. I can imagine the buying from a shop then selling privately is worlds apart. I know when selling gold, shops have a labour charge

Thank you all for the responses. I think the ring has just over 1.3 carats in it with just over 1 carat on the main diamond alone. I know it’s got high clarity, virtually flawless and IGE(?) certification.

I’ll get the full details off him and post it in SC. I can imagine the buying from a shop then selling privately is worlds apart. I know when selling gold, shops have a labour charge
    I imagen it will be IGI. Unfortunately they are known for over rating somewhat compared to GIA - who are considered the gold standard in terms of certifications.

I think that this will come down to the main stone value - the rest will be pretty valueless.

Better prepare him for offers of 25% on cost...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Better prepare him for offers of 25% on cost...
    If he's lucky.