closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally......down to just one watch.

Master

Finally......down to just one watch.

That was a struggle. For the past 18 months I have been selling-off watches (praise to SC) and today I finally got down to a single watch. A Rolex for durability and general toughness.
    So that’s it. I hope never to buy another watch. Tall order? We’l see. As a parting gesture, a random collection of watches I have owned, complete with my highly subjective scores.
    proved unreliable...new movement (2016) so off it went, back to Rolex. 4/10. Replaced with this gorgeous thing.generally not too keen on the Daytona, but this white gold/blue dial version is a killer. 9/10. Compared to that, the steel, ceramic Daytona is very ordinary indeed, (5/10) and yet it’s almost as costly on the grey market. Insane.
    Then I got a call from the Patek dealer, as I’d been on the list for two years. Enter the 5711.
    Handsome, elegant, but not for me, it felt a bit on the flimsy side. 6/10.
    Now a quick burst of likeable watches that came and went, all enjoyable.
    I enjoyed every one. Glad I owned them for a while. Now, my two favourite Chrono s, because I have a soft spot for them. First, the mighty Speedy. Wonderful, great, watch.
    There’s another...the lovely Zenith CP2. Had three of them. . I’d give both watches 8/10.
    I can’t believe there are more...but there certainly are. The SD 43. My favourite Rolex sports model. Had three of them, somehow. 8/10.
    Next up, and getting close to home , the DateJust 41. I like the smooth bezel version best, and it’s least costly. But I also had the gold bezel version.. 8/10.
    Inevitably followed by the DayDate 40. 8/10.
    So, how you know why I feel the need for a simple life......my all-time favourite. The white gold Daytona.
    But the DD40 is a more practical day to day watch.
    Enough, absurd. I surrender. Time for a horological sit-down.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th August 2019 at 15:50.

I'm not sure I understand the weird paradox of demonstrating your enthusiasm of watches by celebrating the ownership of a solitary watch.

Best way to do it. Own one watch and wear it everyday. Only sell/trade if better option becomes available. Even if this means flipping 3 times per year.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That was a struggle. For the past 18 months I have been selling-off watches (praise to SC) and today I finally got down to a single watch. A Rolex for durability and general toughness.
    So that’s it. I hope never to buy another watch. Tall order? We’l see. As a parting gesture, a random collection of watches I have owned, complete with my highly subjective scores.
    that's what I have done and I much prefer it.

And a lovely watch it is too. You’ve had some amazing watches over the last few years and I think you’ve found a great one to grow old with. If however you fancy a change I look forward to the call.

Master
    As a parting gesture, a random collection of watches I have owned, complete with my highly subjective scores.
    (Was that bit unintentionally snipped? I expected a list to follow.)

Is it the DD40 or did you sell that too? I seem to remember you saying you were selling the SD43 in order to fund something else but you already had the DD40 at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    And a lovely watch it is too. You’ve had some amazing watches over the last few years and I think you’ve found a great one to grow old with. If however you fancy a change I look forward to the call.
    Edit: the watches have now appeared.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 30th August 2019 at 15:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Is it the DD40 or did you sell that too? I seem to remember you saying you were selling the SD43 in order to fund something else but you already had the DD40 at that point.
    I was planning on a platinum Daytona, but decided enough is enough. I’l stick with the DD40.

Master
    The practicality in a watch isn’t needed, nice to have but not needed. The two white gold Daytona’s are stunners and out of all the above I’d have kept the blue. That said I’m wearing a sd43 today - my money would be on you buying a 4th, it’s a fantastic watch.

I was planning on a platinum Daytona, but decided enough is enough. I’l stick with the DD40.
    So you've kept the one you rated 8/10 and ditched your all time favourite, the WG Daytona?

Not sure I follow.

Craftsman
    Real nice watch there man. It’s a real keeper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    So you've kept the one you rated 8/10 and ditched your all time favourite, the WG Daytona?

Not sure I follow.
    You want logic?

Master
    The day date is a superb one watch. Practical complications, respected brand, and very luxurious.

Are you not counting your beater Peter? The DD is much too posh to do the gardening in..

From the order of the pics I thought you bought another WG Daytona! Hmm we'll see how long this lasts.

Blog Entries
    If I’m following this correctly I think you settled on the Daydate 40?

If so , it’s a great watch to finish with . My choice too .

Craftsman

I think you hurt many rolex investor's feelings by dissing the Daytona.

You want logic?
    These are watches, logic has no place! I was just checking that I did follow correctly and that you did settle for your not favourite.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    The day date is a superb one watch. Practical complications, respected brand, and very luxurious.

Are you not counting your beater Peter? The DD is much too posh to do the gardening in..
    My partner loves gardening, and for that she wears a Citizen. I now have one watch....she has six.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    I think you hurt many rolex investor's feelings by dissing the Daytona.
    I like Tampere; great city. The Daytona can look after itself.

Blog Entries
    My partner loves gardening, and for that she wears a Citizen. I now have one watch....she has six.
    Peter. My wife also loves gardening. She wears just one watch - which is a bi-metal ladies champagne dial Rolex. Wears it 24x7 - garden, shower, swim. Can’t beat them for practical use with the oyster case.

For me - I really can’t understand the ‘one-watch’ mentality. I remember buying one of your Zenith CP2 Peter and it was a pleasure meeting you. We did almost fall out over the Seadweller post I remember!

So so is that it? Are you leaving TZ, now you have reached watch Nirvana??

All the best

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Peter. My wife also loves gardening. She wears just one watch - which is a bi-metal ladies champagne dial Rolex. Wears it 24x7 - garden, shower, swim. Can’t beat them for practical use with the oyster case.

For me - I really can’t understand the ‘one-watch’ mentality. I remember buying one of your Zenith CP2 Peter and it was a pleasure meeting you. We did almost fall out over the Seadweller post I remember!

So so is that it? Are you leaving TZ, now you have reached watch Nirvana??

All the best

Martyn.
    No, I enjoy TZ and I still like to think of myself as some sort of enthusiast. And we haven’t fallen out...it’s just a fun hobby.
    I think you can enjoy without owning. That’s my hope anyway.

So I assume this one didn’t count then, Peter .

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    So I assume this one didn’t count then, Peter .

Simon
    Now you mention it, there’s these too.
    That Cellini was just gorgeous.....
    I liked the Bulova...great colours. In fact, I liked every watch I ever owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Excellent post - and I think I get it the fact that you own a watch which isn’t your favourite, but does suit your lifestyle. I have been more and more drawn to the simplicity of the humble Datejust lately. I will at some point try out a DD, but likely 36mm as the 40 is to my eye just a little too bulky for that style of watch (very personal opinion though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Great post & very thought provoking, you have enjoyed some wonderful watches, so here I am contemplating if I could only 'do' one watch. The answer is no, although I'd like it to be.

Master
    Wowsers that’s a great collection to have gone through ! Very aspiring!

Great post and thanks. How I would love to have some of those on my wrist!

I would have sold them all too. I'm increasingly thinking I should have stuck with my very first proper watch, which I've been wearing a lot of recently!
    "A man of little significance"

That Bremont is actually really nice.

I'm currently on a similar quest to get down to.............single digits! I will never get down to one watch as some have huge sentimental value even though they're not necessarily that valuable e.g. Seiko Gen I from my military flying training days. In my quest to cut down, the one watch that I've worn every day for months and will not part with is the Rolex Sea Dweller 126600. I'm seriously considering selling an Ed White Speedmaster with 7912 original bracelet and No.6 end links.

Will look forward to your upcoming 3 watch collection, and then the incomings

There's no escape for most of us.

Master

Finally......down to just one watch.

Nice post. I think a day date is as good as any to be a one watch, well better than the vast majority actually. But that blue Daytona! Man I would have kept that one, you are so right about the craziness of the SS ceramic models when they get anywhere near the cost of a WG model with that dial!

I have a fantasy of just buying a brand new Datejust and wearing it everyday. Probably will remain a fantasy though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Was wearing my platinum Daytona as a daily for about a month after getting used to the weight it’s a stunning watch yet under the radar (everyone thinks it’s steel)but was getting too many bumps and scrapes so have a tt daytona for a daily now which gets noticed far more lol

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I would have sold them all too. I'm increasingly thinking I should have stuck with my very first proper watch, which I've been wearing a lot of recently!
    We should both have just gone with the red Sub for the long term, mate.

Craftsman
    You’ll have another soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    You’ll have another soon.
    That’s certainly the danger. But I rather like the simplicity of just one watch. I’m going to give it a try.

Working on same methodology as OP. Just working out if the “one” watch is the one I already own!

Starting the culling process as we speak. Congrats to OP.

Well done Peter, that’s quite an achievement!

I’d like to do the same but I’ve six that I can’t let go for various reasons. Or maybe I can?

And you had the tin tin speedy too!

I’m trying the same approach with mistresses.

No quartz left, or do they still not count? 😀

Congrats. I often think about doing the same. I am currently. Probably not all the way down to one, maybe three. But what to do with the money? I kinda like the idea of (some) them appreciating but am finding it harder to justify having so many (25+) just sitting there doing nothing, other than stared at occasionally.

It's actually a real first world problem that I constantly think about

Master
    Well done Peter and good luck.

I made it to three and this has risen and fallen many times.

Be strong! And enjoy the simpler life :)

I’m struggling to reduce to under 20. Props on getting to one. I know it will never be me as I’d get way too bored of only one piece.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    No quartz left, or do they still not count? 
    Don’t count; although they do if a Grand Seiko (I make up these rules as I go along.) only have two el-cheopo quartz for emergencies.

I am sure the itch will soon start and your numbers will slowly creep buck up

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Peter - I'd genuinely be interested to hear a bit more about your rationale for doing this, if you're minded to explain. I mean, it doesn't sound like its financially driven. There are some watches there that you plainly adore[d] - the Daytona, the Tipo CP2 (I have one of those and also love it) - so what's the psychological dividend of getting rid of them? I also note that you've bought, sold and re-bought in some cases, e.g. the SD43, which sounds like the buying and selling is a bit compulsive ... and therefore that you might not long stick to just one. Hope not, as your thoughts are always interesting.

Master
    Yes, some of this is compulsive....or I make mistakes and don’t learn. My reasoning is driven by the feeling that ‘less is more.’ I went for many years with a single watch, then stumbled on TZ and found that assembling a ‘collection’ was normal it’s certainly fun. Also I wanted to learn about these watches by direct experience..owning them. That’s the only way, really.
    It’s not cheap (!) but with SC not wildly costly either. Some watches made a profit, most usually a smallish loss. Many were used, others bought at discount. I reasoned that it was less costly than owning many ordinary cars, and a lot more fun.
    But then I began to feel weary of the ‘churn.’ Just too many watches , too much consumerism. I began to yearn for the old simplicity...one good watch, rewarding you with faithful service...like Lassie.
    That seems to be where I am now. Why the DD40 instead of the gold Daytona? Because it’s a better day-to-day wear, with the complications and less tendency to get marked...because of the serrated bezel. And I find it handsome and a pleasure to wear.
    Of course, this might all be me deceiving myself, unknowingly getting ready to expand the collection all over again. I don’t believe that, but who knows....we’l see.
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st August 2019 at 14:08.

Don’t count; although they do if a Grand Seiko (I make up these rules as I go along.) only have two el-cheopo quartz for emergencies.
    Excellent :)