closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mmmmm, Cider. What are we drinking tonight?

Mmmmm, Cider. What are we drinking tonight?

Anyone else on here a fan of traditional cider? No bubbles allowed.

A friend brought me a 10ltr box of Gwatkins Single Variety Norman. A bit sweet for my liking; I think I will drop hints that maybe the Kingston Black may be even more gratefully received.

When I can call in to Glastonbury, I treat myself to Heck's Farmhouse Dry, but up here in 't frozen North decent cider is hard to come by. I often resort to a 50/50 mix of Old Rosie and Weston's Organic, both from a local supermarket.

Anyone else on the revered pomona nectar?

The Norman....

Blog Entries
    I lurve proper cider but it sends me to sleep.

Years ago I was a member of an online community that had annual BBQs. They always selected a pub with (a) camping and (b) real cider on tap.

I therefore had to make the key decision as to whether to stick to ale and stay awake chatting geekily to people I knew from online or go for the cider and spend most of the evening snoring in my tent. Decisions, decisions...

My recent activities have revolved around my old fave Hecks & Son, of Street. They do a very efficient home delivery, and for those contemplating trying the purest of alcoholic beverages (only apple juice and yeast) there is a tempting selection of different varieties in 3-litre bags.

https://www.heckscider.com/farmhouse-cider/

I am undecided between Farmhouse Vintage Medium and Vintage Dry, so of course I have to have a 10-litre of each on standby. Blending according to batch variations.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    My recent activities have revolved around my old fave Hecks & Son, of Street. They do a very efficient home delivery, and for those contemplating trying the purest of alcoholic beverages (only apple juice and yeast) there is a tempting selection of different varieties in 3-litre bags.

https://www.heckscider.com/farmhouse-cider/

I am undecided between Farmhouse Vintage Medium and Vintage Dry, so of course I have to have a 10-litre of each on standby. Blending according to batch variations.
    Ooh, that's interesting, will look at that site, i miss my proper cider.
    How long do those bag-in-a-box things keep good for once opened? The 20L ones look a much better buy, but i'd struggle to get through that in 1 night

I have 2 x 10 litre per month (lightweight!) so at least a month. The polybag collapses as the nectar is withdrawn, so no air enters which helps.
    Mind you, when I take the empties out to put in the bin, the neighbours must think I use a catheter bag.
    Last edited by unclealec; 6th July 2020 at 10:02.

I personally favour one producer from the other side of the Severn: https://www.gwyntcidershop.com.

They sell in bottle or in 20 litres bags (Farmer's Pride )
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I was weaned on proper cider...the stuff that you empty from an old,wooden barrel into whatever plastic container you had available and then kept a close eye on in case it exploded. I used to wander in to a big barn and get cider marked ‘dry’ from a big wooden vat on Thatcher’s farm in the late 80’s when they were still small.

Master
    Hecks is a 5 minute drive for me which comes in handy at times 😂

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I was weaned on proper cider...the stuff that you empty from an old,wooden barrel into whatever plastic container you had available and then kept a close eye on in case it exploded.
    The only sort eligible for discussion on this thread. Bubbles expressly forbidden unless formed from methane.

Just discovered that we have a local cider producer in Dunham Massey....I had a good chat with him, a great guy, and so far I’m impressed...

Interesting.
    Do they do farm-style, or only the carbonated?

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I went to Asurias I was in cider heaven so much so I came back the next year.

https://livingasturias.com/complete-...ider-asturias/

My wife is the cider drinker in this household and she's settled for the Aldi Vintage cider, it's 6.8% and made by Westons. When I lived in Salisbury years ago, we used to go to a pub that served cider from a jug and strained through muslin. I could never drink more than 2 pints of that and strangely, it made the back of my neck tighten up.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Interesting.
    Do they do farm-style, or only the carbonated?
    The still version is in the freezer...I’ll let you know what it’s like in ca. 10 mins!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    My wife is the cider drinker in this household and she's settled for the Aldi Vintage cider, it's 6.8% and made by Westons. When I lived in Salisbury years ago, we used to go to a pub that served cider from a jug and strained through muslin. I could never drink more than 2 pints of that and strangely, it made the back of my neck tighten up.

Eddie
    Sounds like novichok cider

Master
    Blog Entries
    I found this place outside Cheltenham last year and tried a few bottles at home,very nice.

they also sell traditional cider mugs so I bought a small one it tastes better,in my mind at least.

https://www.dunkertonscider.co.uk/co.../homepage-shop

Very interesting....flavoursome but flat! Needs some carbon dioxide.