closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK legal/EDC knives

Master

UK legal/EDC knives

What reasonably priced (circa £50) UK legal knives is everyone liking at the moment?

Hard to beat a SAK
    I carry a Waiter or Officer dependant on bag
    Does the job and I would not be bothered if I loose them.

Craftsman
    A little more than your request, but I really rate Spyderco - and I’ve EDC’d the UKPK for about 10 years. Very well made, holds an edge well and easy enough to sharpen. One handed opening and closing too.

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-ukp...eaf-flat-grind

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/compact-rose-wood.html

CHAMBRIARD - THIERS
    Pocket Knife - Le Thiers by Chambriard

Again a little more but these are truly lovely little knives - I have had two and lost them both!

It depends what you mean by UK legal.

Legal to own, then Mora Knives offer excellent quality for the value and a wide range in that price range.

However they are generally not legal to carry without a reason due to the fixed blade length.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    It depends what you mean by UK legal.

Legal to own, then Mora Knives offer excellent quality for the value and a wide range in that price range.

However they are generally not legal to carry without a reason due to the fixed blade length.
    Legal to carry, please.

Nowhere near as elegant as the french knives - but within budget and Sheffield steel if that still means anything !

And less annoying to lose

https://www.sheffield-made.com/acata...nt.html#SID=19

However they are generally not legal to carry without a reason due to the fixed blade.
    FTFY: the length plays no part, if it’s a fixed blade or a locking knife you need good reason.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    FTFY: the length plays no part, if it’s a fixed blade or a locking knife you need good reason.
    There is a 3 inch blade length limit in the legislation, but you are right in that it doesn't depend on if it's a fixed or folding blade. https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Master
    Kizer zipslip is next on my list for an EDC. It has an awful lockup in slip joint terms, but that doesn't really mean anything when you're talking slip joints because you just use on the basis that there is no blade lock, and it comes in a damned good steel for the price

There is a 3 inch blade length limit in the legislation, but you are right in that it doesn't depend on if it's a fixed or folding blade. https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
    Blade length is completely. Irrelevant. It is about cutting edge

+1 on Spyderco.

Their design allowing one-handed opening is fab

Mine is an older model with fancy steel, but iirc they do a UK-spec EDC around your target figure.

I've been carrying a Victorinox Alox Bantam for a couple of years.

Small, light, well made, UK legal. Plus, whilst I'm not really a fan of SAKs, the multi-tool is useful.

Well under your budget too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I find the UKPK a little too large, prefer the Urban or the squeak. Do like the one handed opening feature. The Manly wasp is an excellent modern slipjoint and bit of a bargain in G10 and S90v. However I tend to prefer a SAK for just edc. How big a blade do you actually need? I find a cadet or even the manager big enough for most chores.

+1 for the Spyderco Urban. Great little knives.

Master
    Spyderco Pingo, with a thumb stud for one hand opening.

You are mixing up several things
    1) locking blade or fixed blade: length is completely irrelevant, you need good reason.
    2) non locking blade: cutting edge must be no longer than 3 inches. Although if the blade is longer you may have to argue your point with the desk sergeant.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I have a Baladeo Papagayo with olive wood handles. Very pleased with it.

I have this 84mm Wenger Official World Scout Knife which sits on my desk at home (I wasn't in either the Cubs or Scouts).

Unusually the spear point blade does have a lock. I guess it is from an era when laws were different.

The lock appears to operate but it is puny, so the blade can be folded quite easily.

Does anybody have something similar from Wenger or Victorinox? If yes, does the lock work tightly or are all puny?

How does the lock work - what do you have to disengage/press to make the blade close?

I can find very little information about those at all.

I've got the same SAK but in the 91mm version, huntsman variant, but no lock device, mine is from I guess prior to the current regulations as is around 20years old

guess you get away with the (puny) lock due to the shorter blade length or just scouts are more trustworthy :)

never found a need for anything more, although could probably get away with less if I needed to

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    How does the lock work - what do you have to disengage/press to make the blade close?

I can find very little information about those at all.
    Do you see that button like protrusion on the left in the photograph, under the can opener about level with the Swiss cross? It has lock engraved on it. I think what is meant to happen is that when the blade is folded out it locks and pressing the button pushes the spring up to unlock the blade. However I can't see that the blade and spring are working any differently to a normal SAK.

Quote Originally Posted by de30m View Post
    I've got the same SAK but in the 91mm version, huntsman variant, but no lock device, mine is from I guess prior to the current regulations as is around 20years old

guess you get away with the (puny) lock due to the shorter blade length or just scouts are more trustworthy :)

never found a need for anything more, although could probably get away with less if I needed to
    I also have a Huntsman. I like having a wood saw. An occasional and perhaps a bit embarrassing pastime is whittling small spoons and the saw is handy for getting a small piece of green wood.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Do you see that button like protrusion on the left in the photograph, under the can opener about level with the Swiss cross? It has lock engraved on it. I think what is meant to happen is that when the blade is folded out it locks and pressing the button pushes the spring up to unlock the blade. However I can't see that the blade and spring are working any differently to a normal SAK.
    Oh yes! What a strange place for it, given you'll grip it when cutting?

Is it definitely not to be used as a secondary lock of some sort e.g. engage it and sliding it or suchlike to provide an extra lock on top of the slip joint? Very strange...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by de30m View Post

A locking knife is a locking knife. Blade length is irrelevant. So good reason would be needed to carry it. Daft laws!

Quote Originally Posted by SpydieNut View Post
    A little more than your request, but I really rate Spyderco - and I’ve EDC’d the UKPK for about 10 years. Very well made, holds an edge well and easy enough to sharpen. One handed opening and closing too.

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-ukp...eaf-flat-grind
    The above! The best I’ve found if you’re going to put it to any work, as it’s quite safe with a nice deep finger choil, and good jimping on the back of the blade.

I also have a few Le Thiers and other slick little things, but they’re only good for light work.

Depends what you do with it really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I also have a Huntsman. I like having a wood saw. An occasional and perhaps a bit embarrassing pastime is whittling small spoons and the saw is handy for getting a small piece of green wood.
    The saw is really good I’ve found the couple of times I used it on the Huntsman scarily sharp too

Master
    You are mixing up several things
    1) locking blade or fixed blade: length is completely irrelevant, you need good reason.
    2) non locking blade: cutting edge must be no longer than 3 inches. Although if the blade is longer you may have to argue your point with the desk sergeant.
    + Pointed Bladed article can be any length.

Master
    My new EDC. Not the strongest backspring in the world, but the finger choil makes it the safest slip joint I've owned. One handed opening, deep carry clip, n690 steel. Makes quick work of woodies. Fairly heavy, but absolutely fantastic. Punches way above its price point.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    My new EDC. Not the strongest backspring in the world, but the finger choil makes it the safest slip joint I've owned. One handed opening, deep carry clip, n690 steel. Makes quick work of woodies. Fairly heavy, but absolutely fantastic. Punches way above its price point.

What is it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    What is it?
    Whoops. Forgot that detail :) kizer zipslip. I ready had a viper Dan at near twice the price, and even then was very impressed with the steel. So at 60 quid I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I've been carrying a Victorinox Alox Bantam for a couple of years.

Small, light, well made, UK legal. Plus, whilst I'm not really a fan of SAKs, the multi-tool is useful.

Well under your budget too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    ^ Absolutely this!

I got fed up finding a lock knife in coat pockets out and about, etc and got rid of them all. I’ve gone through a few SAK options in pursuit of perfection, and I think the Alox bantam is probably it.

Last edited by JGJG; 20th September 2019 at 21:13.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't want that argument, given the current climate regarding knives and their abuse by some. Anything I carry now has a blade no longer than 3 inches total, regardless of cutting edge length.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Another vote here for the Spyderco UKPK. I seem to have amassed a collection, original green G10 CPMS30V which is my perfect everday knife (so much so that when I managed to chip the blade, I sent it back to Spyderco who reprofiled the blade for me), carbon fibre (for posh), Titanium (er, also for posh) and new red one (buying other stuff on Heinnie Hayes and noticed that this was there - just in case replacement for my everyday one).

Master
    this:
    I wouldn't want that argument, given the current climate regarding knives and their abuse by some. Anything I carry now has a blade no longer than 3 inches total, regardless of cutting edge length.
    The Police will not worry about the cutting edge, just how far the blade can be inserted into a body before it hits the handle. They are very keen at the moment to get knives off the streets so you'd be arrested and the argument can then be had in court. Would you really want to go down that route just to prove a point?
    (Pardon the pun.)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    this:

The Police will not worry about the cutting edge, just how far the blade can be inserted into a body before it hits the handle. They are very keen at the moment to get knives off the streets so you'd be arrested and the argument can then be had in court. Would you really want to go down that route just to prove a point?
    (Pardon the pun.)
    Ridiculous the law is quite clear,they aren’t stabbing each other with 3 inch folders FYI.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Ridiculous the law is quite clear,they aren’t stabbing each other with 3 inch folders FYI.
    As far as I know they aren’t stabbing each other with handmade knives costing hundreds of pounds each either, but it would still be illegal (and pretty silly) to carry one without good reason.
    I agree with k300 On this point.

Master
    I'll carry what I like so long as I remain within the law. And that means non-locking and sub 3" cutting edge. I'll not let a bunch of gangbangers dictate what I can or cannot do.

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
    Another vote here for the Spyderco UKPK. I seem to have amassed a collection, original green G10 CPMS30V which is my perfect everday knife (so much so that when I managed to chip the blade, I sent it back to Spyderco who reprofiled the blade for me), carbon fibre (for posh), Titanium (er, also for posh) and new red one (buying other stuff on Heinnie Hayes and noticed that this was there - just in case replacement for my everyday one).
    I just got myself a UKPK for work use, and carrying in the car. I was also tempted by hafle's Kizer (which I might also get anyway).
    Seems highly utilitarian, which I appreciate. Function over form, yes, but still nice enough to look at.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I'll carry what I like so long as I remain within the law. And that means non-locking and sub 3" cutting edge. I'll not let a bunch of gangbangers dictate what I can or cannot do.
    Totally agree that’s how I do it,but people reinterpreting the law is ridiculous.

Master

UK legal/EDC knives

. .
    Last edited by JasonG; 21st September 2019 at 10:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    No, the legislation places a limit on blade length, the issue being how deep it can penetrate into someone or something.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.
    No it doesn’t.

Best for £50 - £60 are easily Manly Wasp in S90V

I used to carry a Benchmade Proper, which was a UK legal slip joint, S30V steel and beautiful, green micarta handles. Sadly it must have fallen out of my bag, and it's gone for good.

I now have a more secure bag and carry one of these two:

The single blade is a Spyderco Techno 2, designed by Martin Slysz and is superbly built. As you can see it's blade is smaller than that of the SAK Spartan and yet it's illegal because it has a frame lock. What a ridiculous set of laws we have when it comes to knives.

The Spartan has a great set of tools, a large blade, a small blade, the vital corkscrew, a can opener with a screwdriver, the bottle opener with another screwdriver and wire stripper, the reamer, the punch, tweezers and toothpick. The steel on the Victorinox can be sharpened and stropped to be RAZOR sharp, I know and I have the scar to prove it. I think the Spartan was about £15, the Techno 2 was a lot more!

UK legal/EDC knives

For EDC I absolutely love my Leatherman Stlye Cs

For daily use for me it’s perfect the scissors get used loads the blade is razor sharp. And for me importantly is small. It fits perfectly on my van key!
    I do have a SAK for more heavy use eg country walks/camping. But daily the Style is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    A definite Spanish keeper.
    here in one of the natural parks around Cuenca that I explored yesterday.
    pretty much had it all to myself until I came across 4 dark brown wild horses in the road,handsome fellows.
    What a secret little paradise it is around here.

UK legal,stainless,lovely smooth scales,good balance and a lovely slicer.

I even had a leather worker make a custom slip for it,I was leaving so he did it in under an hour for me.

Victorinox Manager. What more could you want or need?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Victorinox Manager. What more could you want or need?

Quite a few things...like a bottle opener, corkscrew, micro screwdriver, and most importantly a blade that isn't the size of a gnat's johnson

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I used to carry a Benchmade Proper, which was a UK legal slip joint, S30V steel and beautiful, green micarta handles. Sadly it must have fallen out of my bag, and it's gone for good.

I now have a more secure bag and carry one of these two:

The single blade is a Spyderco Techno 2, designed by Martin Slysz and is superbly built. As you can see it's blade is smaller than that of the SAK Spartan and yet it's illegal because it has a frame lock. What a ridiculous set of laws we have when it comes to knives.

The Spartan has a great set of tools, a large blade, a small blade, the vital corkscrew, a can opener with a screwdriver, the bottle opener with another screwdriver and wire stripper, the reamer, the punch, tweezers and toothpick. The steel on the Victorinox can be sharpened and stropped to be RAZOR sharp, I know and I have the scar to prove it. I think the Spartan was about £15, the Techno 2 was a lot more!

Had a good chat with the guy who worked the "cutlery" section of a sporting shop in the USA. To him the proper was a joke knife due to lack of lock, but to a brit, it was as good as they come. I wish I could carry some of the stuff they sell, but the proper is a damned good knife, even if its a LOT of money fir what it is.

Journeyman
    I use a Liong Mah no.5 in my Campervan, great knife and a steal at £26(ish). I have the Heinnie Haynes special edition in red but it’s also available in black.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Quite a few things...like a bottle opener, corkscrew, micro screwdriver, and most importantly a blade that isn't the size of a gnat's johnson
    It has a bottle opener and both flat and cross head screwdrivers. WTF do you need a corkscrew for; your Château d’Yquem 1945?