closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK legal/EDC knives

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I have this 84mm Wenger Official World Scout Knife which sits on my desk at home (I wasn't in either the Cubs or Scouts).

Unusually the spear point blade does have a lock. I guess it is from an era when laws were different.

The lock appears to operate but it is puny, so the blade can be folded quite easily.

Does anybody have something similar from Wenger or Victorinox? If yes, does the lock work tightly or are all puny?

I used to own this knife, it was my first Swiss army knife bought in Wales somewhere probably 25 years ago!

The lock on mine was very very strong and the blade never shut without unlocking by pressing lock button with the thumb.

I broke the end off the main blade after about 2 years using it to cut leather, I wrote to Wenger and sent it off and they sent me a new one.

I lost it somewhere on a scout camp 😁

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It has a bottle opener and both flat and cross head screwdrivers. WTF do you need a corkscrew for; your Château d’Yquem 1945?
    Meant can opener, apologies.
    The flat head isn't a micro on yours - the corkscrew enables a micro flat head to be carried (they're designed to nestle inside the worm of the corkscrew - extremely useful for Rolex bracelet links and glasses screws). Plus the corkscrew is just handy for its designated role, but I admit it's secondary to the screwdriver carrier function in this age of screwtops.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    For EDC I absolutely love my Leatherman Stlye Cs

For daily use for me it’s perfect the scissors get used loads the blade is razor sharp. And for me importantly is small. It fits perfectly on my van key!
    I do have a SAK for more heavy use eg country walks/camping. But daily the Style is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry its “little brother” on my keys! It’s great, apart from a lack of bottle opener. I also always have my Spyderco Urban on me; great little knives.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Had a good chat with the guy who worked the "cutlery" section of a sporting shop in the USA. To him the proper was a joke knife due to lack of lock, but to a brit, it was as good as they come. I wish I could carry some of the stuff they sell, but the proper is a damned good knife, even if its a LOT of money fir what it is.

I REALLY liked mine, and was gutted when I found it to be missing. I had the sheep's foot version and have been very tempted to get another one. It as probably just too expensive at the moment, and in practical terms, the SAK Spartan does more for 10% of the cost. :(

Blog Entries
    Have had a Pattada knife for general use (from peeing an apple to slice salami) for a long time, picked kt up in my last Sardinian holiday.

I understand they are UK legal, this one in horn is very similar to mine:

https://www.heinnie.com/antonini-pattada-corno

Master
    I have a Leatherman Squirt on my keys, very useful piece of kit.

Master
    Pull out the familiar red SAK and no one will bat an eyelid including the police.
    On the other hand a tactical folder will not go unnoticed.

My everyday day carry is a SAK sportsman and when out working on site I carry the SAK Explorer, which has saved my bacon lots of times.

At the weekend I like something more traditional but still UK legal to carry (without reason)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Have had a Pattada knife for general use (from peeing an apple to slice salami) for a long time, picked kt up in my last Sardinian holiday.

I understand they are UK legal, this one in horn is very similar to mine:

https://www.heinnie.com/antonini-pattada-corno
    Antonini make some very nice pocket friendly folders. I have a Siciliano which is a lovely little knife and very capable.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Making me want to carry one around now! Thinking of a spyderco

Craftsman
    Have a look at the Byrd Tern. Byrd is Spyderco's value brand. It's about half the price of the UKPK, the steel isn't as good as the UKPK but it sharpens easily. I have both but always prefer the Tern because the the handles are a lot slimmer and it's much less visible in a pocket.

https://www.heinnie.com/byrd-tern

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    Making me want to carry one around now! Thinking of a spyderco
    Can't go wrong with an Urban or a UKPK. Terzuola Slipit is pretty snazzy too, though discontinued.

A bit over the circa £50 range, but nice to see that there are still artisan cutlers in Sheffield.

https://youtu.be/NfaHgoxcji4

A bit over the circa £50 range, but nice to see that there are still artisan cutlers in Sheffield.

https://youtu.be/NfaHgoxcji4
    His work has not been positively reviewed in terms of quality, fit and finish. It's a closed forum so I can't link to it, but it's a shame that it doesn't appear to be good stuff.

Of course, everyone has their own tolerance for what is/isn't acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    His work has not been positively reviewed in terms of quality, fit and finish. It's a closed forum so I can't link to it, but it's a shame that it doesn't appear to be good stuff.

Of course, everyone has their own tolerance for what is/isn't acceptable.
    Yes a shame. Is there a British maker of small folding pocket knives at a reasonable price?

I guess it takes an artisan a lot of time to get a perfect fit at a reasonable price. With Victorinox, Boker, Case etc you get automation, standardisation, repeatability. Knives are not my thing except for a few vintage SAKs and small three blade whittlers. Quite fancy trying a GEC whittler to use but they are hoovered by collectors. It would be nice if there was a Sheffield maker.

Yes a shame. Is there a British maker of small folding pocket knives at a reasonable price?

I guess it takes an artisan a lot of time to get a perfect fit at a reasonable price. With Victorinox, Boker, Case etc you get automation, standardisation, repeatability. Knives are not my thing except for a few vintage SAKs and small three blade whittlers. Quite fancy trying a GEC whittler to use but they are hoovered by collectors. It would be nice if there was a Sheffield maker.

GEC/Tidioute/Northfields are really remarkable things for the money (when buying retail). As you note, they can rise in price quite substantially, but that's the minority of models rather than the majority. Value retention is strong from new though, because not many are made in the first place, and even fewer reach here.

Try Mikesknives - he is the UK dealer for the company.

I've a Tidioute in my pocket as I write this!