closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Vespa owners?

Master

Any Vespa owners?

Passed my full motorbike license a couple of years ago now, had a SV650 for a while and loved it but sold it as needed some cash for my wedding and we moved house to somewhere with no garage. Bloke on the other side of the road has a new Vespa, looks cool. Would be so nice to have something to nip around Plymouth in and dodge traffic on the way to the beach... Considering a touring GTS 300 or similar as it would be on the A38 from time to time. There must be some people on here with a cool scooter or two?

Reason I am considering a scooter rather than another mid sized is ease of parking and cheaper (?) upkeep, not sure about that? Anyway would love to hear about your experiences.

I have a 125 Sprint and I absolutely love it; to paraphrase a couple of advertising slogans 'If Carlsberg did scooters...' and 'if only everything in the world was as reliable as a Vespa'.

I started out with a PX125 which was as cool as the other side of the pillow, but changing gear a million times a day in city traffic with a manual twist grip gave me godawful tendonitis in the wrist. I bought the Sprint new three and half years ago and have done around 25,000 kilometers, it hasn't missed a beat - the only thing it has needed, apart from a new back tyre, is routine servicing, which is peanuts.

Honestly, if I don't ride it for a couple of days I can't wait to get back on it. A couple of years ago some git pulled out in front of me without looking, I was thrown off and broke my collar-bone. Friends and clients all imagined I would give it up, but the 5 months I couldn't ride it was torture. And having stood for 5 months, after cranking it over for a minute or two it fired up perfectly.

I've thought about the 300, but as my riding is 95% city centre there doesn't seem much point, but I'm sure they are every bit as fun as mine.

The fact is, Piaggio have been making scooters for a long time and they haven't let the grass grow - constantly refining and upgrading. Even less emotional reviewers than me will say they are also extremely solidly made.

Maybe there are other scooters out there which are quicker or cheaper or more fuel efficient but I wouldn't swap if you paid me. When the current one finally needs replacing it'll be replaced with another. For me it's a bit like owning a Rolex or a Leica or a Lacoste shirt; people will give you all sorts of logical, well-argued reasons why there are better choices out there, but you have the quiet knowledge you are the owner of the original and genuine item.

Buy a Vespa and you won't regret it.

Anyway, I'm sure messym will be along shortly to add her two penn'orth.

Blog Entries
    Yes, have been using daily a Primavera 125 for five years, Loved it.

But it was 48 years ago 🤪

I loved my 61 plate red GTS300 until someone decided they loved it more and removed it from my garage. Cracking fast scooter that we towed behind our motorhome all round Europe and UK including IOW Rally.
    If you decide to buy one OP then contact me as I've got loads of spare parts and accessories still in my garage to move on. Get a red one.

If you have your heart set on a scooter then there is simply nowhere else to loom than Vespa....especially the new GTS300. Down the years I've owned a PX125, ET4 125, GT200, PX200 and two GTS300's.

However........the last two GTS300's. The first was stolen from the station and the replacement that I eventually bought attracted some scrotes who attempted to bike-jack it from me. After that I gave up on scooter's and have gone back to motorbikes. I've a Ducati Scrambler now and use it just as much if not more than I used to use the scooters...don't miss them at all. Unfortunately the new Vespa's are so good that they are often used by scooter gangs for their various crimes......have a look at them in action on 100's of videos on Youtube.

Sorry to pour cold water etc and if it's not a problem in your area (Plymouth....maybe not) then I would definitely go for it as they are so much fun. Any Scooter questions though.....just ask?

Sold my LML 125 Star Delux last week to same guy I got it from.

I have my full bike license for about 20 years now, my last ‘big bike’ was a ZR 750 Zepher, I love anything with 2 wheels. The thing I really like about Vespa et al, is that you can just throw your lid on and nip to the shops or go for a quick blip. But with the bigger bike I hate having to get all the gear on, boots, armoured gloves and coats etc..I’m like a cooked chicken before I even get on the bike.

Enjoy :-)

Master
    As an ex LX 125 owner I would say scooter’s provide a logical extension to motorcycles since the auto engine is brilliant for keeping up with traffic. The weather protection eases those damp days and increases your visibility. Reliability wise mine was great bar a fuel injector relay failing at about 3000 km.

However there is a big BUT with the higher powered 300’s as stated above. Thieves love them as they are used to steal larger capacity bikes. The simplicity and power enables them to be great “ pushers” of stolen bikes. So it really is your choice, if you were in central London I would suggest you would be separated from your bike in under 3 months! Maybe its safer where you live , but as stated above being bike jacked would be a rather unpleasant experience.

Steve

Master
    That escalated quickly... I’ve ordered a blue GTS 300. I don’t think Plymouth has a huge issue with scooter related crime. There are two Vespas on my road which haven’t been stolen so I am optimistic! But will get the best lock I can! And maybe gap insurance...

Master
    If one can circumnavigate the theft issue, which others have rightly raised, the GTS300 is a great buy - looks, pedigree, and enough performance to keep someone used to m/bikes entertained.

Plymouth has quite a good SC apparently according to a mate of mine, The Originals who meet up every week. Maybe they can point you in the direction of a good ride.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brummie64 View Post
    Plymouth has quite a good SC apparently according to a mate of mine, The Originals who meet up every week. Maybe they can point you in the direction of a good ride.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
    SC? Sub-culture? I will look it up anyway! Until I get the real thing for a pic... here is a picture of a picture. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    SC = Scooter Club my guess

https://m.facebook.com/TheOrignialsPlymouthScooterClub/

Great scoot and nice colour, the acceleration away from the lights will leave any geared bike behind. They are just so cool.
    Last edited by higham5; 30th August 2019 at 19:54.

Craftsman
    Had Lambrettas in the past and agree scooters are great fun.The thing that F’s it up these days is there worth so much that You can’t leave the bloody Things anywhere unattended.Scrotes will heave it into a van in a blink.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Had Lambrettas in the past and agree scooters are great fun.The thing that F’s it up these days is there worth so much that You can’t leave the bloody Things anywhere unattended.Scrotes will heave it into a van in a blink.
    Its not just scooters, my 2019 Monkey bike (125) is insurance group.....................12!
    My 700GS is Insurance group 7. Why? Because as you say they pick them up and throw them in the back of a van. As a result I always chain mine to something solid.

I’ve been smiling all day, it’s the Mersea scooter rally this week end and I counted 5 broken down between Gatwick and Colchester.

Master
    Here are my last two Vespas:

2008 Vespa GTV 125

2012 Vespa GTS 125 Super Sport

Both great scooters and had a lot of fun on them.

Then I decided I wanted a change
    2015 Honda Forza

Thoroughly enjoyed that one.

Now I have more than a few back problems and needed a lighter bike
    2019 Honda Monkey Bike

Yes I know it's little.

You won't regret buying a Vespa but look after the underneath as the paintwork there is lousy.

scooter

Any Vespa owners?

Forgive the thread deviation, but has anyone ever owned an Ape? I’m fascinated by them as a result of many Italian holidays. A youthful Valentino Rossi used to drive about in one with a modified engine. I have a fantasy of using one as a runabout in suburban London; my wife is less convinced.

Either a flatbed:

Or a more sociable Callesino:
    Last edited by alfat33; 31st August 2019 at 11:06.

I've had 6 over the last 25 years or so. 1x ET50, 3x PX125 & 2x PX150s. Plus had a Lambretta Li125 S3

Bloody loved them all. Sold my last PX150 in June and that's it for me. I then read this and want another lol.

Enjoy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Here are my last two Vespas:

2008 Vespa GTV 125

2012 Vespa GTS 125 Super Sport

Both great scooters and had a lot of fun on them.

Then I decided I wanted a change
    2015 Honda Forza

Thoroughly enjoyed that one.

Now I have more than a few back problems and needed a lighter bike
    2019 Honda Monkey Bike

Yes I know it's little.

You won't regret buying a Vespa but look after the underneath as the paintwork there is lousy.

scooter
    My Monkey says hello Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Its not just scooters, my 2019 Monkey bike (125) is insurance group.....................12!
    My 700GS is Insurance group 7. Why? Because as you say they pick them up and throw them in the back of a van. As a result I always chain mine to something solid.
    Wow, 13 for my R1200 GS Adventure! 12 for the monkey bike is silly but I guess they can be picked up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wow, 13 for my R1200 GS Adventure! 12 for the monkey bike is silly but I guess they can be picked up.
    Sat in the dealership having collected the bike early so needed taxing, first call Carol Nash can you please add to my other 4 bikes, sorry sir dont insure them. Bikesure £850 ! Im 63 with a gazillion years no claims , 40 anxious minutes and refusal from another three majors before I secured a deal for £110 fully comp! Talk about panicking! My old Suzuki Van Van also 125cc was ins group 5 I think, bonkers that the monkey is 12.

Master

Any Vespa owners?

So that escalated so fast... here she is, I am in love. GTS 300hpe in blu energia.

What you don’t see is the alarm lock, 2 chains and rain cover that usually go on it!

Last edited by watchstudent; 10th September 2019 at 13:26.

Master
    I sold my gts300 6 months ago, gone to a Scomadi TT200, love it.

Just this one, but it's running a little slow

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    I sold my gts300 6 months ago, gone to a Scomadi TT200, love it.
    Ooohh.....pics???

Blog Entries

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    So that escalated so fast... here she is, I am in love. GTS 300hpe in blu energia.

What you don’t see is the alarm lock, 2 chains and rain cover that usually go on it!

That looks really nice , enjoy

Steve

Master
    That should give you some fun.

scooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Ooohh.....pics???
    Here’s my Scomadi TT200

Blog Entries
    Good move and well done.