closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current and Future Everest

Master

Current and Future Everest

This review of the Everest has convinced me I need the watch sooner rather than later, not that I needed much convincing. I'm am impatient man but debating whether I should wait for the newer model.

Two things I wanted to check.

Is there a third party oyster bracelet that fits the watch with a nice taper and a smaller clasp?

In the upcoming refreshed model am I correct in saying the following is changing
    1. New bracelet and clasp
    2. New (no hidden date) Miyota movement

Apologies if this has already been answered (I know the second question has) but my search skills have failed me.

Yes,
    people either seem to get an old-style bracelet from eBay,
    or one guy (illumidata) put it on a MKII Kingston/Nassau bracelet.
    Google "Smiths Explorer Alternative Bracelets" to find that post.
    I have one on the way soon. I am not sure the taper on it though.

Otherwise the new model is expected to be...

1. Yes (20>16, rivet, basic clasp)

2. Yes (Miyota 9039)

+3. Changes to hands (longer hour hand, shorter minute hand, second hand pip adjust?)

see for image of new bracelet

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5142004

This is the longer 16 page thread

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-PRS-25/page16
    Last edited by redhed18; 28th August 2019 at 22:53.

That is a cracking review by the way...
    I encourage everyone to go have a read.
    Great photos too.

https://www.dearartifact.com/article...-prs-25-review

Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    That is a cracking review by the way...
    I encourage everyone to go have a read.
    Great photos too.

https://www.dearartifact.com/article...-prs-25-review
    Very nice review.

From an aesthetic point of view i agree with the points raised by the guy, but nonetheless it's a cracking good looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    Very nice review.

From an aesthetic point of view i agree with the points raised by the guy, but nonetheless it's a cracking good looking watch.
    Indeed, had to agree with the preference of old Smiths boobs logo and the comments re-the bracelet clasp.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I did a review, too, but not as slick as the one above

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ot-36mm-review

Master
    I hadn't really thought about the logo but I think I'm in agreement that the older logo would be a better fit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I did a review, too, but not as slick as the one above

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ot-36mm-review
    That's a good review as well. I like the additional history and the photos of the older models.

Apprentice
    There is one pretty serious error in that review linked in the first post: "49mm lug height" by which I assume he means lug-to-lug. If I had gone by that review, I would not have bought the watch as 49mm is outside my wheelhouse. The timefactors site lists l2l as 43.5. Not sure where that person pulled the 49mm from...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    There is one pretty serious error in that review linked in the first post: "49mm lug height" by which I assume he means lug-to-lug. If I had gone by that review, I would not have bought the watch as 49mm is outside my wheelhouse. The timefactors site lists l2l as 43.5. Not sure where that person pulled the 49mm from...

He may have mistakenly quoted the L2L for the larger version of the Everest, although this is actually 49.8mm. I have both, and the measurements given on the TF website tally with mine taken with a digital calliper.
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    I'm waiting patiently and eagerly for this new 36mm release

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    He may have mistakenly quoted the L2L for the larger version of the Everest, although this is actually 49.8mm. I have both, and the measurements given on the TF website tally with mine taken with a digital calliper.
    That occurred to me but I had always heard it described (obviously rounded up) as "50mm". In any case, too big for me! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by bhavs26 View Post
    I'm waiting patiently and eagerly for this new 36mm release
    Me too

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Does anyone have a side by side picture of the MkI and MkII 40mm?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

I took this quick and dirty one when mine arrived:

Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks Dave
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

I just received a MkII rivet bracelet for my gen 1 Smiths 36mm. (As someone had done earlier at WUS)

The MkII end links actually are a much better shape (in that they match the length and curve of the lugs) than the stock Smiths ones (which seem too short vs. the lug curve).

The problem is that the holes on the MkII endlinks don’t line up to the holes drilled in the case lugs... Maybe a jeweller could modify those end links somehow. They also slightly don’t match the curve of the case wall, it is very slightly too shallow a curve.

Anyway I used the stock Smiths end links. An issue with them is that the small piece of the MkII bracelet sticks or catches (doesn’t rotate smoothly). I had to file down that small link as well as the inner surface of the endlink somewhat to make it better.

Beautiful bracelet, very light and thin. I just wish I could use the MkII end links...

Pardon those spots on the underside of the bracelet, I forgot to remove some of the incredibly well done protection film applied by MkII.

Bracelet is 20mm x 16mm (as best I can measure with a ruler...) Clasp seems to be 18mm as you would expect.

My wrist is 5.9” (15cm) so don’t be shocked my the scale of the photos here... this IS the 36mm watch.

What’s the clasp like? Cannot wait to, I hope, get the Everest this month

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzick3 View Post
    What’s the clasp like? Cannot wait to, I hope, get the Everest this month
    On the MkII clasp? It’s a single flip-lock, secure but not over tight. Not much to say about it really, I’m happy.

The stock Smiths clasp is a totally different beast. No joke it’s a boat anchor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    Me too
    What is the new amendments to the 36mm version - I vaguely remember some slight dial changes and the option of buying the new tapered riveted clasp?

Will the dial change if that's correct be slightly different?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    What is the new amendments to the 36mm version - I vaguely remember some slight dial changes and the option of buying the new tapered riveted clasp?

Will the dial change if that's correct be slightly different?

The changes should be new myota 9039 movement (no ghost date), adjusted hands (shorter minute hand and longer hour hand) and 20>16 rivet oyster bracelet.

Blog Entries
    The changes should be new myota 9039 movement (no ghost date), adjusted hands (shorter minute hand and longer hour hand) and 20>16 rivet oyster bracelet.
    Thanks . I misread this thread as someone else also stated this at the top (off to Specsavers)

It's a tough choice between the updated Everest and the Expedition

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Disappointing.

Hi Eddie,

Sorry and confirm that we had wrongly ordering and putting old hands instead of what we've agreed on May.
    The new hands were coded D5257 8.0 X D5953 12.5
    The old hands were coded DA500018 7.0 X D5427 13.0

It is all our mistake on purchasing new hands internally which nothing about the communication between you and us, you had clearly stated and confirmed for new hands.
    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Disappointing.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie for the update, yes it's disappointing but it's better they noted this before assembling and shipping, I hope that this problem will be recovered soon anyway.

Thanks Eddie for the update, yes it's disappointing but it's better they noted this before assembling and shipping, I hope that this problem will be recovered soon anyway.
    No, they are assembled and on the way.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Disappointing.

Eddie
    What size are the hands on the white Everest?

Many Thanks

No, they are assembled and on the way.

Eddie

Oops ... and now they will be sent back to change the hands, I suppose ...

I know you've been looking forward to the "corrected" handset for a long time, but I'm afraid you're clutching at straws here.

No doubt Eddie will confirm, but I think you'll find this is going to be a take it or leave it situation ..

Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    I know you've been looking forward to the "corrected" handset for a long time, but I'm afraid you're clutching at straws here.

No doubt Eddie will confirm, but I think you'll find this is going to be a take it or leave it situation ..
    We wait for Eddie's words on this ...

No, changing hands once the watches have been asembled has the potential to create more problems than it solves. Plus there's the 3 months turnaround waiting for the new hands.

Eddie

No wonder they got confused with those codes... hardly snappy.

Very disappointing that they messed this up. Typical.

Has the been applied to both the Black and the White version?

No, changing hands once the watches have been asembled has the potential to create more problems than it solves. Plus there's the 3 months turnaround waiting for the new hands.

Eddie
    So waiting for a 3rd batch to solve this issue ? How many watches did you ordered now ? Anyway the producer does not pay any penalty for this trivial error or try to find a solution for that ?

Master
    So waiting for a 3rd batch to solve this issue ?
    How big of an issue is it? To my (untrained) eye the balance between the two hands looks OK. I agree the other hand dimensions would probably have been better, but this won't stop me buying the watch as it is a sum of its parts.

So waiting for a 3rd batch to solve this issue ? How many watches did you ordered now ? Anyway the producer does not pay any penalty for this trivial error or try to find a solution for that ?
    If we're going to be objective about this, I've sold 300 of the 36mm Everest and only half a dozen people aren't happy about the length of the hands. It doesn't matter which watch it is, there's always somebody not happy about something.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    How big of an issue is it? To my (untrained) eye the balance between the two hands looks OK. I agree the other hand dimensions would probably have been better, but this won't stop me buying the watch as it is a sum of its parts.

It isn't an issue at all of course. It's a matter of aesthetics and is entirely subjective.
    F.T.F.A.

I bought the 1st gen and wear it quite happily (on a third-party bracelet).

That said I was going to also buy the next release with the previously described updates. Mostly for the hands. Now I’ll hold off until a future release...

But if you DON’T already own one, then unless you are super OCD about that particular detail, I wouldn’t let the current hand lengths stop you buying.

My only wish list items that are not even planned are ... an ETA movement - as the noisy Miyota rotor takes away a couple points for me.

Also TBD how the 2nd gen bracelet works out... as the endlinks in the 1st gen seemed too small to me relative to the lugs. I think it is more obvious if you have a very small wrist (<=6”)

Maybe I’ll add some pics later.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    I bought the 1st gen and wear it quite happily (on a third-party bracelet).
    Not sure if you posted this before...what bracelet is it and how do you like it?

[edit]: Never mind, found the post(s).
    Last edited by mr_nobody; 24th September 2019 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It isn't an issue at all of course. It's a matter of aesthetics and is entirely subjective.

I fully agree. And it's a matter of proportion, that has already been noted on the 1st generation of the 36mm.

What I absolutely do not understand is how is possible that a watch producer does not note while assemblying 100 watches that the hands he is mounting are again of the wrong size, with minute hand overlapping the minute rail and with shorter hour hand ...

Anyway, could be possible to receive the "new and correct" set of hands, to be accurately mounted by my watchmaker ?

Here below the evidence of hands proportion of the 40mm vs. the 36mm I'm talking about

Last edited by Engi; 24th September 2019 at 21:40.

Craftsman
    That's really unfortunate. One would think the producer sends pictures etc after assembling the first watch.

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    That's really unfortunate. One would think the producer sends pictures etc after assembling the first watch.
    +1

+1
    Please, let it go now. I know, but.

What I absolutely do not understand is how is possible that a watch producer does not note while assemblying 100 watches that the hands he is mounting are again of the wrong size, with minute hand overlapping the minute rail and with shorter hour hand ...
    Try 300 watches. He's offered to take them back and change the hands but I'm not going to do that. I've asked for some new handsets for those people who can't live with the existing handsets.

Manufacturer errors are not uncommon.

When I had the PRS-17 & 18 made, Fricker delivered 600 watches with the PRS-17 dial on the PRS-18 and vice versa.

Fricker delivered the first batch of the PRS-14 with the wrong crystal installed (not as obvious as wrong dials or wrong hands).

Kemmner delivered the PRS-30 with a crown fitted that I'd never seen before. Sent back for changing.

Kemmner delivered the PRS-42 with a spelling error on the engraving.

There's probably more but I usually just get them fixed and don't say anything.

Anybody who deals with outside manufacturers knows that goods delivered which aren't to specification happens more than people realise.

Eddie

Apprentice
    The hands were never an issue for me. Really excited for the new release.

Quote Originally Posted by bhavs26 View Post
    The hands were never an issue for me. Really excited for the new release.
    The hands aren't an issue for 99% of customers.

Eddie

Try 300 watches. He's offered to take them back and change the hands but I'm not going to do that. I've asked for some new handsets for those people who can't live with the existing handsets.

Manufacturer errors are not uncommon.

When I had the PRS-17 & 18 made, Fricker delivered 600 watches with the PRS-17 dial on the PRS-18 and vice versa.

Fricker delivered the first batch of the PRS-14 with the wrong crystal installed (not as obvious as wrong dials or wrong hands).

Kemmner delivered the PRS-30 with a crown fitted that I'd never seen before. Sent back for changing.

Kemmner delivered the PRS-42 with a spelling error on the engraving.

There's probably more but I usually just get them fixed and don't say anything.

Anybody who deals with outside manufacturers knows that goods delivered which aren't to specification happens more than people realise.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, I'll take the new handset together with the new black dial 36mm PRS-25

The hands aren't an issue for 99% of customers.

Eddie
    They are a self-selecting group though. Those folk for whom it is an issue are far less likely to become customers. I would certainly be interested in the revised black dialed watch with the shorter minute hand but would absolutely not be interested if it were to reappear with the longer hand again. However, your suggestion to supply the new handset for those that ask seems like a pragmatic compromise.

Martin

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    They are a self-selecting group though.
    i am part of that self-selecting group. i will make a purchase decision once i see photos of the new handset "in context".

Journeyman
    Do we just make a note when ordering the Black Everest, to include the new hand set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Will the new hands be available to purchase for people who already own the 1st batch of 36mm Everest?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk