closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it a scam?

Is it a scam?

I'm currently selling a painting on eBay. I put it up at £3995 and I had an offer quite soon after listing for £3980. I was initially amazingly chuffed, but am now assuming it must be some kind of scam as its a new member with 0 feedbacks.

What might he/she be up to?? Should I accept the offer and hope for the best or run a mile?? I have sent them a message asking where they are based for delivery, to see if we can do an F2F, but no reply as yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303262420643

Sounds very smeggy, the f2f option sounds like a plan with a BACs transfer.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Definitely a scam. No feedback and a new member is a sign for me to run even if I'm selling something for £10.

You can change your selling settings so it won't let new members or people with no feedback bid.

Who the heck makes an offer £15 under a near £4k asking price. Scam alert!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Exactly what I thought. This scammer really needs to learn to make his bid look realistic!

I was hoping it was some old pensioner from the Kay Boyce fan club who'd been looking for this painting for years.....but I think not!

I'm just interested to know how the scam may have worked.

Something like.....I send it and he says it never arrived, or makes a copy print of it and sends me that back saying it was a fake and I was trying to scam him??

Maybe that's it.......

The scammer buys the original, makes a high res copy of it on a top quality scanner/printer and post me that one back saying it's a print and not the original.

Waits a while and then sells the original himself.

That could be it.

Nah that's too advanced, this is clearly the level of sub-Saharan scammers BS.

More like you send him £200 upfront for shipping included on the promise and he'll repay £4,180.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It could be a scam but it's not usual for people to sign up to EBay specifically to buy (or sell) a particular item and hence are a bit naive regards best offer. I've experienced this myself and,with a bit of common sense,made a safe sale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Fully agree...an offer of £3500 might get you to fall for it but £15 come on.

Craftsman
    I wouldn't do f2f as there isn't any proof of delivery then

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    You can change your selling settings so it won't let new members or people with no feedback bid.
    I don’t think you can do this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I wouldn't do f2f as there isn't any proof of delivery then
    If you meet f2f and do a bank transfer or take cash, there’s no need for a proof of delivery.

Master
    I've just had a 0 FB buyer mess ne around for a few days. Then bloody paid me! GSP sellers protection and no returns should mean its golden. Near £2k.

Don't do a F2F though, they can claim failure to deliver and then charge back.

Could it be some kind of payment return scam after you’ve sent the item. A claim that it wasn’t delivered even though it was. This use to go on a lot on eBay a few years ago.

Buyer pays on a credit card, seller sends the item, buyer claims the item has not been delivered even though there is a signature of delivery, buyer contacts his credit card company and then through PayPal is reimbursed the amount.

Seller has no item.
    Buyer has both.

I’m not sure if that’s all still possible. I know it use to be because I know a couple of people that it’s happened to.

Another one use to be the empty box scam. Works in a similar way to the above but the buyer is claiming that the box or package was empty when it arrived.

Either way I’d be happier with a f2f and bank transfer before meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Could it be some kind of payment return scam after you’ve sent the item. A claim that it wasn’t delivered even though it was. This use to go on a lot on eBay a few years ago.

Buyer pays on a credit card, seller sends the item, buyer claims the item has not been delivered even though there is a signature of delivery, buyer contacts his credit card company and then through PayPal is reimbursed the amount.

Seller has no item.
    Buyer has both.

I’m not sure if that’s all still possible. I know it use to be because I know a couple of people that it’s happened to.
    It happened to me a few years back but if I'd have kept the proof of postage receipt (it was a few months after the sale and buyer had left positive feedback) I would have been covered by Papal's sellers guarantee.

The French buyer claimed his credit card had been used fraudulently (subsequently I learned he'd done this before). I now keep proof of postage receipts indefinitely no matter what!

It's the empty box scam that worries me still though.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 29th August 2019 at 00:24.

Journeyman
    loads of scammers out there . normally see ads with bidders with less than 10 feedback contact me before bidding .

I’ve put it down to being a scammer. I sent the person a polite message on eBay asking to have a chat about delivery or collection prior to me accepting their offer. No reply.

I’d say even an eBay newbie who’s 88 years old would figure out how to read the message and reply if they were able to make the offer in the first place.

All very strange!

I did get another offer of £2000, which I’d say was a chancer rather than a scammer. £3k and over I’d accept!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I’ve put it down to being a scammer. I sent the person a polite message on eBay asking to have a chat about delivery or collection prior to me accepting their offer. No reply.

I’d say even an eBay newbie who’s 88 years old would figure out how to read the message and reply if they were able to make the offer in the first place.

All very strange!

I did get another offer of £2000, which I’d say was a chancer rather than a scammer. £3k and over I’d accept!
    Offered £15 off your asking price, no feedback, no replies to comms?...............Run!

It "could" be genuine, but at that value I wouldn't risk it. Already stated by other people, but a £3500 or similar would be more realistic. Zero feedback in itself not a big issue, we all have to start somewhere, but for me it's unlikely that a new user would be immediately after such an expensive item. As for not replying, that is a weird one, if the offer is a scam and you've replied positively to it, wouldn't the scammer be biting your hand off? Avoid is my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Don't do a F2F though, they can claim failure to deliver and then charge back.
    That's only if the buyer has paid by PayPal, where there is indeed a chance that a scam buyer will claim INR (Item Not Received) after a f2f. For the same reason it's not recommended to allow collection (either in person, or by a courier arranged by the buyer) for items paid for by PayPal. If the buyer pays by cash or Bank Transfer, then a f2f is normally OK (yes, there is a very slight chance of forged banknotes, or a BT reversal).

In the OP's case, the tiny discount requested and the lack of communication from the "buyer" do indeed make it sound like a scam.

I can assure you that "proof of postage" or a "signature" proves nothing.

I was scammed buying a watch - the seller sent me a plastic wallet - The "item" was signed for and ebay therefore implied id had the watch no matter what I showed or said.

As a pure fluke a month later I called ebay cust services on a Sunday and spoke to a guy in Ireland - he sorted it and got me my money back.....

NEVER AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I now keep proof of postage receipts indefinitely no matter what!
    Be aware that the rules have changed recently and, as a seller, you must upload the tracking number (which will be on your proof of postage) to eBay when you send the item.

Once an INR claim has been raised by a buyer, you will no longer be able to defend it by uploading the tracking number. You have to have done it before the claim is raised.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Be aware that the rules have changed recently and, as a seller, you must upload the tracking number (which will be on your proof of postage) to eBay when you send the item.

Once an INR claim has been raised by a buyer, you will no longer be able to defend it by uploading the tracking number. You have to have done it before the claim is raised.
    This only proves you have posted "something" - it does not prove what you have posted. Fine for low value items - but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    This only proves you have posted "something" - it does not prove what you have posted. Fine for low value items - but.....
    Yes, but my point is that if a seller has not uploaded Tracking Information before any INR claim is raised, they will automatically lose that claim (even if they have posted something, and have proof of posting/tracking information).

Proving that what was actually posted is the same thing that was claimed to have been posted is an entirely different matter...