closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luxury watches worn at the gym

Master

Luxury watches worn at the gym

Whilst I understand any owner can do anything they like with their possessions, I never understood why someone would wear an expensive watch to the gym! Spotted a Rolex SS Daytona, a Rolex 16700 black GMT and a Cartier two tone roadster. All of them were weight lifting, I’d be too worried about any accident & damage being done and probably find it just annoying to have a watch on whilst sweating and working out, maybe it’s just me?!

Any one here wears their watches to the gym ? Let’s not start a ‘can I wear my Rolex to the gym’ thread ;)

Would you leave a £10k watch in your gym locker?

I expect they get worn in the sweatbox out of necessity.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    This. Or the car!

Master
    I like seeing people wearing them doing normal things and not just wearing them in their dressing gowns over carpeted floor.

I wore my GMT in the gym in Singapore this week through necessity since I didn’t bring the garmin and needed to know the time. It’s a watch, that’s what it does. Whilst normally I’d wear something that measures my heart rate etc in its absence I wore a watch. A nice watch but a watch nonetheless.

Craftsman

I expect they get worn in the sweatbox out of necessity.
    Exactly this.

Going straight from work I would not dream of leaving it in a gym locker. It’s stays on the wrist.

Master
    I wear whatever I have on already to the gym. Mind you, all I do is rowing, treadmill and cycling so not high risk exercise!

Master
    Have to agree to finding it odd. I swear loads at the gym and for me (clearly not for others) having s watch on is simply not comfortable. Also, moving around weights rooms there is a very high probability of it getting knocked. I have no issues with my watches getting wear marks but I would not purposefully and regularly put them in an environment where it is more likely.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I wear whatever I have on already to the gym. Mind you, all I do is rowing, treadmill and cycling so not high risk exercise!
    kudos to you , Mostly see g shocks or fitness watches around my gym.

I wear my G Shock when lifting at the gym, if I'm ever having to change at the gym, I keep my other watch in a hard case in my rucksack with me, together with other gym paraphernalia. Can't imagine deadlifting is too good for a mechanical watch...

Craftsman
    Normally a gshock for the gym, sometimes I forget to change and my daily explorer gets a work out instead.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattius2 View Post
    This. Or the car!
    Locked in the armrest in a locked car personally. Safer than a locker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Can't imagine deadlifting is too good for a mechanical watch...
    why? Most are designed to take quite a beating. (Might put a strain on the bracelet I guess.)

According to marketing blurb:

Shock resistance

Rolex watches have to pass more than 20 different drop tests before their launch. The most severe homologation test is the bélier, tellingly named after the ram. This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G – hundreds of times more than a car crash test. Yet the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards, maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th August 2019 at 18:04.

Craftsman
    I don't see what's wrong with wearing a sports watch at the gym. Not really worth overthinking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I swear loads at the gym and for me (clearly not for others) having a watch on is simply not comfortable.
    I swear lots if someone mentions me going to the gym.

Master
    You could damage your watch taking the bins out. Is wearing it while lifting weights really that much different in terms of risk? We are not talking about a 70 year old dress watch with no WR, these expensive sports watches were designed to be worn in rough and ready environments. And most owners are not TZers, a scratch on the clasp is just a scratch on the clasp. It'll pollish out come the next service.

Craftsman
    I dont ever wear a watch to the gym, don't know how anyone who is serious about lifting does. It just gets in the way.

A youtuber I follow regularlly wears his aquanaut to the gym whilst working out which I thought was a brave decision when I first saw it.

Master
    I’ve worn my sub before. Like people say, very unlikely to get damaged and I wash it in the shower. Do not want to leave £6k in a gym locker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    What devilment is this 'gym' you speak of?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I get round the problem by never going to the gym.

If I want to sweat profusely in the company of strangers I take the Northern Line.

Craftsman
    A friend of mine wears a two tone Sub. He's not 'in' to watches in the slightest, he bought it years ago when he wanted to treat himself to a nice watch to keep and wear daily. It's his only watch, he wears it for work, dress, sport (including mountain biking, climbing, swimming and going to the gym) and it's never missed a beat. It looks like it's had a hard life but as far as my friend is concerned it's his only watch so wears it for everything. The thought of it being scratched or damaged doesn't even cross his mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    A friend of mine wears a two tone Sub. He's not 'in' to watches in the slightest, he bought it years ago when he wanted to treat himself to a nice watch to keep and wear daily. It's his only watch, he wears it for work, dress, sport (including mountain biking, climbing, swimming and going to the gym) and it's never missed a beat. It looks like it's had a hard life but as far as my friend is concerned it's his only watch so wears it for everything. The thought of it being scratched or damaged doesn't even cross his mind.
    It's sometimes forgotten that this is what they were made for.

It was in the news recently about someone being charged/sent down for targeting gym lockers and in particular luxury watches.

I think he managed to snatch around £80k of watches over a period in the City of London.

I doubt he was the only person thinking about this as a opportunity and for that reason if I forgot to take my watch off and leave it in my desk I'd wear it in the gym.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I think I've lost the will to
    Gray

Craftsman
    I wear a Rolex to the gym, or whichever watch I'm wearing at the time.

I can understand not wanting to wear a watch if it bothers you, but I don't understand why you wouldn't wear a Rolex, it's no more likely to be damaged there than anywhere.

Master
    Maybe wouldn’t wear a dress watch but wear a Sub or GMT without giving it any thought to be honest
    As mentioned earlier safer than leaving in the car or locker
    They’re not ornaments

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I used to wear my CWC G10 to the gym, there were always plenty Rolex and Breitling on show there.

Don't think I'd have worried about damaging any watch there to be honest, but the G10 to me seemed the most practical to wear from my collection, small light and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    why? Most are designed to take quite a beating. (Might put a strain on the bracelet I guess.)

According to marketing blurb:

Shock resistance

Rolex watches have to pass more than 20 different drop tests before their launch. The most severe homologation test is the bélier, tellingly named after the ram. This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G – hundreds of times more than a car crash test. Yet the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards, maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex.
    Oh I don't have a Rolex. But yes not great for the bracelet I would have thought either.

Master
    A colesgue of mine trains at the same gym as Susan Boyle. He reckons she always wears a maroon velvet track suit thingy and a ladies DJ.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What devilment is this 'gym' you speak of?
    I believe they participate in something called exercise, sounds to much like hard work to me! :)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Whilst I understand any owner can do anything they like with their possessions, I never understood why someone would wear an expensive watch to the gym! Spotted a Rolex SS Daytona, a Rolex 16700 black GMT and a Cartier two tone roadster. All of them were weight lifting, I’d be too worried about any accident & damage being done and probably find it just annoying to have a watch on whilst sweating and working out, maybe it’s just me?!

Any one here wears their watches to the gym ? Let’s not start a ‘can I wear my Rolex to the gym’ thread ;)
    It's just you

BUBI 0_0

Craftsman
    I used to leave my nice watches in the locker and put a cheap GShock, but don't do it anymore. It is very easy to break into a gym locker. Also a colleague got his Milgauss stolen from a gym locker, apparently the thief saw him putting it there.

I do weightlifting mainly, I pay attention not to knock it around. But frankly speaking prefer to scratch it, than have it stolen.

I see a lot of people wearing their Rolexes in the gym, don't see the problem.

Sent from my SM-G975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've always worn whatever watch I had on that day to the gym. No issues. I've occasionally had to take the watch off because it might get in the way (some kettlebell exercises) but otherwise I've never dinged it. I'll freely admit I wasn't wearing a luxury watch but I want anything I own (except a very dressy, dress watch) to be an every day wearer.

Spotted a Rolex SS Daytona, a Rolex 16700 black GMT and a Cartier two tone roadster. All of them were weight lifting...
    They are fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's sometimes forgotten that this is what they were made for.
    Aren't they just investment vehicles?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    What’s a Gym?

Master
    Apparently you can also wear them in the pool at the gym........

Sorry OP couldn’t resist! I don’t wear mine at the gym, can’t see the point. I do like to swim with them on though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I wore a 16613 TT Sub for 10 years straight, it was my only watch and it stayed on my wrist 24/7. Looked pretty good after all it'd experienced, despite needing a replacement bezel when the original got pulled off.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    It was in the news recently about someone being charged/sent down for targeting gym lockers and in particular luxury watches.

I think he managed to snatch around £80k of watches over a period in the City of London.

TZ-UK mobile app
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/21/gym-l...atch-10024701/

https://cityoflondon.police.uk/news-...tch-thief.aspx
    Last edited by Matt London; 29th August 2019 at 05:47.

Would you leave a £10k watch in your gym locker? I expect they get worn in the sweatbox out of necessity.
    A mate of mine had a Rolex GMT stolen from a gym locker.

I’d leave it at home, but if you must wear one to the gym, not having it leave your wrist seems sensible.

Master
    From reading this thread it sounds like the gum is a hot bed for watch thefts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    I believe they participate in something called exercise, sounds to much like hard work to me! :)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app
    Like a pub, but no beer and lots of sweaty people then, sounds ermm.....great?

Master
    Wear all of my Rolex and other watches to the gym, mountain biking, sailing, shooting. Only time they come off is for kettle-bell works.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    It's just you

BUBI 0_0
    I can see that!

Ok I hadn’t thought about having to wear it if you’re going to the gym before/after work, and I agree it’s better to have it scratched than stolen. This was around lunchtime so maybe I’m lucky I can just leave my watch in my drawer at work.

I can see that!

Ok I hadn’t thought about having to wear it if you’re going to the gym before/after work, and I agree it’s better to have it scratched than stolen. This was around lunchtime so maybe I’m lucky I can just leave my watch in my drawer at work.
    Well, in the end they are sports watches. Expensive, yet sports watches.
    And then you have show offs. Which better place to show off than a gym?

BUBI 0_0

Master
    I would never leave a watch or anything else of value in a gym locker.
    I had a polo shirt stolen from the changing area in DW gym in Cambridge a few years back. A sweaty, just off my back, polo shirt.
    Some people will take anything not nailed down.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Were those wearing these watches the same people that spend 30 minutes doing 3, 10 rep sets with the 'rest time' being spent on their phones? These are the type of gym goer who also have coordinated work out clothing and spend more time trying to chat up the female personal trainers than actually working out... they also never seem to sweat at all.

I jest... kind of.

Personally if I intend to go to the gym I'll wear my apple watch (other smartwatches are available) then swap to a 'real' watch when I get home. If I worked in an office and wanted to wear an expensive watch and then go to the gym after work, yes I'd probably wear it while working out rather than leave it in the car or locker.

I used to wear my Daytona all the time including in the gym, in all my years working out I've never dropped a weight on my wrist, it's fine, why would it get damaged in the gym? I tend to wear a GShock now though mainly because I don't like taking anything expensive in the Sauna.

As above far safer on your wrist than being left in the car or locker.

Not quite the same as the thread title, but I bet my Speedmaster has run a thousand miles on my wrist. Its a thing, its for telling the time while you do stuff, its what gives them both character and memories IMO. If its something diamond encrusted, no, but a sports watch is for sports, and much less likely to be stolen on your wrist than in a locker as others have said

Charlie

I am sure not true of everyone but in my experience the people i knew who would wear their rolex daily could afford to replace it, twice over. I could not, so a little bit more precious over my expensive watch, but also you cannot avoid damage unless you lock it away and it rarely sees the light of day and I do not see the point in that, birds and cages and all that.