closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Battle of the River Scheldt 75 yrs ago

Blog Entries

Battle of the River Scheldt 75 yrs ago

The Battle of the River Scheldt in the SW part of the Netherlands is often called 'the forgotten battle'. But it shouldn't be called like that!

Last week I wrote about Market Garden: the airborne landings near Arnhem. Less known, but in contrast with 'Arnhem' successful, is the Battle of the River Scheldt. The Battle started only a few days after Operation Market Garden had ended. Early October 1944, British, Canadian and Polish troops tried to open up the route from the sea to Antwerp. They were assisted by French, British, Dutch and Norwegian commandos. Troops on the south and north side of the river needed to secure the shores to prevent German guns firing at ships going in and out Antwerp. The river is very treacherous (shallow at times), so every vessel would have been a 'sitting duck', caught in big calibre crossfire from Nazi guns!

There's a lot to tell about, but this Wikipedia page is quite extensive and complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Scheldt

One part of the Operation in detail: A cameraman was 'embedded' with the Norwegian commandos during their landing and their march up north/northeast along the coastline from Westkapelle, Domburg, Oostkappele and Vrouwenpolder (here: 'German gun W19') They had to take the route through the dunes because during the bombardment of Westkapelle, the dyke broke and seawater inundated a large part of the island Walcheren. A 14 min. film:

Last Saturday I was in Westkapelle and Domburg. The houses in the background and the mill around 3:08 are still there, partly rebuilt partly restored! Same goes for the water tower in Domburg.
    Last edited by thieuster; 28th August 2019 at 14:04.

Craftsman
    Thanks Menno

I will look out for the water tower next week when we cycle through Domburg.

Last year we visited Ganzepoot and Diksmuide where land flooding was also used during WW1.

Blog Entries
    PM'ed