closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tesla Model 3 - Any Owners?

Craftsman

Tesla Model 3 - Any Owners?

Hi all,

I'm seriously close to choosing a Model 3 as my next car. This would be my very first EV driving experience. Trying to decide between the base model (Standard Plus) and the AWD Long Range.

I would like to hear how people are finding them, what was home charger installation process like, what kind of range are you getting, did you keep the aero wheels on, anything else I should be aware of? I've watched pretty much every YouTube review but these are very US-biased in general. So looking for some real-life experience from owners.

Cheers,

John

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Hi John
    Take a look at the last Top Gear series if you haven't already, as I am pretty sure they reviewed it on there. I seem to recall their review was rather positive too.
    Not as pretty as a Velar though......

Master
    While I'm not a model 3 owner (yet - i have plans, maybe) We did run a Nissan leaf for a couple of years so can talk about home chargers.
    Installation is pretty straightforward although it must be done by a professional. Ours was a Chargemaster homecharge model (as I had done some work for them in the past)
    Just select a position for it that is convenient to parking you car and charging it and it is wired directly into the meter on a separate spur with it's own fuse etc.
    We did have an issue whereby the fuse / spur connection box had a bit of a melt !!! but this was an installation issue and was caught and solved quickly. Just make sure you are aware of the work done for a month or so. We have had zero issues with the installation in the 5 years it's been sat in our under stairs cupboard since.

If you are leasing the car any modifications are frowned upon so be wary of changing the wheels.

Range is usually 10-20% lower than claimed depending on driving style. Quoted range for the leaf was 110 miles and we very nearly matched that in warm weather but with very careful driving. Ancillaries such as heat / ac and radio made no noticeable difference to driving range as far as I could tell.

As to which one to select, all I can suggest is you are brutally honest about your driving habits - range, time of day, budget, etc. and go from there.

A question for you, have you researched insurance for it yet, when I did it was excruciatingly expensive, nearly double that for an m3 for the performance version. This kind of make me rethink things however it may be more reasonable for the SP and LR versions.

If you do decide to get one I hope you post your experiences here as I'd be very interested in hearing about a UK model 3.

Blog Entries
    The '3' is currently the best-sold car in the Netherlands. 100% company cars because, overhere, there's a nice low tax on electric company cars. With so many cars on the road, it's normal that you hear a lot of extremely positive sounds and extremely negative sounds... Postive is the driving experience: fast, no noise, comfortable etc. Negative is the amount of (electronic) failures that need to be sorted by a dealer and can't be fixed at the side of the road.

Menno

Craftsman
    Haha - definitely not as pretty! I did watch the new Top Gear (thought it was great with new line-up), but my issue was that they review the Performance model - which is out of my budget. Might re-watch the episode though as it was a particularly good one! Would love a go on the Performance on a track Thanks, loads of info there!

In terms of my driveway set-up, it's pretty much ideal for car charging based on where the charger point would be, a neighbour of mine with same design of house has a Leaf and their charging point is very conveniently situated.

As for leasing - I looked at this option but actually might be better off buying, either with a loan or PCP. In Scotland we get a £35,000 interest-free loan toward a new EV payable over 5 years. Given the base Model 3 is £38,290 (with premium paint option selected) then that could be an option. I'm definitely leaning towards the Long Range though, the AWD and increased range seem worth the extra £8k. The 0-60 in 4.4 seconds is a bonus!

I have done a quote on Confused for both trims of M3, not cheap to insure but cheaper than equivalent ICEs that I looked at (Velar, E class, A5/7, S3, CLA35, etc). They came out about £400 and £600 respectively.

There's definitely a paucity of info on M3s in the UK to date, hence my initial post. I guess that's down to fact they've not been available long. By the way - Aero wheels are just covers, underneath they actually have some pretty good-looking alloys. You can literally just pull them off and pop them on again - the only downside is the Aeros improve efficiency, so likely to be a reduction in range if they are removed.

The final step is to convince the Mrs, she's definitely almost there - I'll let you know if I'm successful

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The '3' is currently the best-sold car in the Netherlands. 100% company cars because, overhere, there's a nice low tax on electric company cars. With so many cars on the road, it's normal that you hear a lot of extremely positive sounds and extremely negative sounds... Postive is the driving experience: fast, no noise, comfortable etc. Negative is the amount of (electronic) failures that need to be sorted by a dealer and can't be fixed at the side of the road.

Menno
    That makes a lot of sense - thanks for the info.

The electronic failures aren't great, although worst case is that I live very close to a Tesla Service Centre. I currently run a Range Rover Evoque (which I've had from new) and is 3 years old - and I've had tons of issues with it.

I believe the Performance was the only model made available to the press. I think that's about to change, keep an eye on the motoring press.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Menno
    From April next year the tax rate on electric company cars drops to 0% (rising to 2% over the following 2 years) in the UK so I expect there will be a similar move to EVs here. I’ve just placed an order for an e-tron as my next company car.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Haha - definitely not as pretty! The 0-60 in 4.4 seconds is a bonus!
    I stopped alongside one at the lights today, off it's mark very rapidly(sh*** off a shovel), why, no idea, next set of lights 100yrds away were at red, and I pulled up alongside him again before they changed. Really weird these silent (almost) cars.

Blog Entries
    Great starter and I am in exactly the same boat. There is a M3 UK FB page which is worth a look and a mix of good and indeed bad on there.

For me I am fortunate to have my own business so with the company buying it (good tax break and grants for charger install I believe) and BIK for me it’s an absolute no brainier.

Mileage, I very very rarely do over 200 miles a day and the only regular long one is visiting son and family in York 204 miles away but there are some great EV route planner sites out there to review charging on route so no real concern.

Build issues seem to be being addressed but my only real concern is store network and service although there seems to be decent after sales team out on the road to visit you and carry out work.

There is no doubt no other car has taken the industry by storm like the M3 in recent years and it is a real game changer, the bigger and established motor manufactures out there are really getting caught with there pants down.

I’m pretty much sold.

Pitch

Interested to see these finally appear.

I ordered one on order book opening in April 2016 and hoped for a late 2018/early 2019 release. But was evident quite quickly that would not be the case so I cancelled a few months later. Looks like there isn't a lengthy build delay either now.

I'm changing mine in 12 months so will follow with interest. Our company car scheme is being reviewed early next year too so fingers crossed

"Shocking reliability" the Which magazine said of Tesla, 2nd from bottom next to Land Rover. Of course you make your own choices at the end of the day, don't let that put you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    "Shocking reliability" the Which magazine said of Tesla, 2nd from bottom next to Land Rover. Of course you make your own choices at the end of the day, don't let that put you off.
    I think What Car? had it bottom in their reliability test, in fact, here you go:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-wh...-survey/n17824

Ouch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think What Car? had it bottom in their reliability test, in fact, here you go:

Ouch.
    Aren’t these talking about the Model S though?
    I’m pretty sure I’ve read that the quality and build of the Model 3 is much better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m pretty sure I’ve read that the quality and build of the Model 3 is much better.
    Yep this is the Model S introduced in 2012 not the Model 3 being discussed here. They are quite different cars and Tesla have moved on a long way since it’s inception.

It’s not to say like with any brand new model there are not going to be teething problems, this is only to be expected with the M3.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Nope not putting me off one bit

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Great starter and I am in exactly the same boat. There is a M3 UK FB page which is worth a look and a mix of good and indeed bad on there.

For me I am fortunate to have my own business so with the company buying it (good tax break and grants for charger install I believe) and BIK for me it’s an absolute no brainier.

Mileage, I very very rarely do over 200 miles a day and the only regular long one is visiting son and family in York 204 miles away but there are some great EV route planner sites out there to review charging on route so no real concern.

Build issues seem to be being addressed but my only real concern is store network and service although there seems to be decent after sales team out on the road to visit you and carry out work.

There is no doubt no other car has taken the industry by storm like the M3 in recent years and it is a real game changer, the bigger and established motor manufactures out there are really getting caught with there pants down.

I’m pretty much sold.

Pitch
    Cheers, unfortunately I am no longer on FB and have no intention of going back! Let us know how you get on if you take the plunge any time soon, I'll do likewise. I'm definitely already sold, I have the bug bad! I turned down a fantastic lease deal on a top-spec Velar to pursue this so will push ahead soon for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Interested to see these finally appear.

I ordered one on order book opening in April 2016 and hoped for a late 2018/early 2019 release. But was evident quite quickly that would not be the case so I cancelled a few months later. Looks like there isn't a lengthy build delay either now.

I'm changing mine in 12 months so will follow with interest. Our company car scheme is being reviewed early next year too so fingers crossed
    Sounds like you are all liked up mate!

Ouch.
    As commented above, Tesla indeed has a poor track record for build quality on previous models such as the S and X. However the Model 3 was the top-selling luxury saloon in the US in 2018 and reviews of it's reliability are extremely good. It's legitimately mass market and seems like Tesla have learned lessons from the fledgling models. I'm certainly prepared to trade in my Evoque for an M3 and expect greater reliability.

Hopefully 100% better. Good luck if you go for one.

I'm certainly prepared to trade in my Evoque for an M3 and expect greater reliability.
    Than the Evoque or than the S and X?

Craftsman
    Than the Evoque or than the S and X?
    I meant the Evoque, but I expect better than the other two as well - almost every review I've read or watched on YT mentions the significant step up in build quality from S to 3. One thing is for sure, I won't miss the Evoque, it's been pants.

Craftsman
    The build quality of the model 3 is in no way superior to the (current) model S. There has been lots of talk of rushed finishing and many of the model 3's are being built in a tent in the parking lot of the freemont factory to try and keep up with the promised output!

I'd be happy with a model 3 myself, but would prefer to wait until production has been ramped up over the longer term and quality is consistent.

I meant the Evoque, but I expect better than the other two as well - almost every review I've read or watched on YT mentions the significant step up in build quality from S to 3. One thing is for sure, I won't miss the Evoque, it's been pants.
    Ouch. There's an eight-page Road Test of the Model 3 (as far as I can tell, non-Performance) in next week's Autocar. It won't tell you if it's reliable but will be worth a read.

Blog Entries
    Nice little write up in Car.

Love or loath it this EV revolution is gathering one hell of s pace with the M3 introduction.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Tesla’s are literally everywhere in the Netherlands. I saw 10 Model 3’s within a 2 hour drive from Schipol to Brussels before they were even released in the U.K.

I am considering an EV as a daily car for my wife when we need to get her another car, Tesla Model 3 is a contender too.

Craftsman
    The interior of these leave much to be desired, seriously poor. And the outside isn’t pretty either.

Then there is the environmental impact of the batteries.

EVs are a scandal in the making.

Costs me the same as model 3 on a lease the finish is a different class.

Conventional Audi except for the charging, fast, comfortable and about 200 miles average on a charge

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    The interior of these leave much to be desired, seriously poor. And the outside isn’t pretty either.

Then there is the environmental impact of the batteries.

EVs are a scandal in the making.
    Can you elaborate please. Is this personal experience from ownership or just your opinion?
    From what I’ve read and watched it’s universally agreed that is a well built high quality car.

Master
    The interior seems somewhat spartan to say the least. A family member has just had one so I'm interested to see what it's like.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post

Costs me the same as model 3 on a lease the finish is a different class.

Conventional Audi except for the charging, fast, comfortable and about 200 miles average on a charge
    Looks lovely, that, Andy. Glad you're enjoying. Don't know how you managed to lease one at the same price as a Tesla, must be some deal! I can lease a model 3 (Standard Plus) for just £437 a month with no deposit on a 2 year lease (only 5k miles but that is all I need). Alternatively I can get a PCP with 6k down and similar monthly payments, or pay about £3.5k plus an interest free loan in Scotland up to £35k for up to 5 years. Plenty of options, whereas for me I am pretty sure an e-Tron would be financially out of reach for the moment. After all, you're talking a £70k car vs a £40k car! Even the Long Range AWD is only around £45k - and that will comfortably do 300 miles.

Can you elaborate please. Is this personal experience from ownership or just your opinion?
    From what I’ve read and watched it’s universally agreed that is a well built high quality car.
    Tesla build quality issues are well known. They're just not up to the same standard as the rivals. Lovely looking cars from the outside, though the inside of the Model 3 makes Osama Bin Laden's old cave look luxurious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tesla build quality issues are well known. They're just not up to the same standard as the rivals. Lovely looking cars from the outside, though the inside of the Model 3 makes Osama Bin Laden's old cave look luxurious.
    On their older models I agree, but the consensus seems to be that the 3 is a step up in quality.
    Regards the minimal interior, it’s deliberate (as McLaren do) but I like it for being different.

Looks lovely, that, Andy. Glad you're enjoying. Don't know how you managed to lease one at the same price as a Tesla, must be some deal! I can lease a model 3 (Standard Plus) for just £437 a month with no deposit on a 2 year lease (only 5k miles but that is all I need). Alternatively I can get a PCP with 6k down and similar monthly payments, or pay about £3.5k plus an interest free loan in Scotland up to £35k for up to 5 years. Plenty of options, whereas for me I am pretty sure an e-Tron would be financially out of reach for the moment. After all, you're talking a £70k car vs a £40k car! Even the Long Range AWD is only around £45k - and that will comfortably do 300 miles.

https://www.contractcars.com/car-lea...i-e-tron-lease

£448 a month for the Etron for 10,000 miles per year. The Audi is quieter and a much smoother ride, I like the higher driving position too.

The model 3 interior is not to the same quality the plastic quality is lower and it’s really quite sparse. There a no instruments in from of the driver it’s all in the large tablet in the centre. The UI on the version I drove was not the great. Laggy and not very intuitive.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice car but Merc, BMW and Audi are just a bit better finished.

Master

Tesla Model 3 - Any Owners?

There seems to be major quality problems with Tesla 3.
    At the moment it seems that there are several Tesla owners in Finland that are planning to take legal action because of all the defects in the car.
    The main issue seems to be that the paint is coming off because the thickness of the paint layer is too thin.
    Tesla(or their representative in Finland) is claiming that the problem is finnish roads.
    Tesla had been driven less than 10.000 kilometers!

Edit.
    Also found this.
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...ng-off.146347/

Imo soon other car manufacturers bring better and higher quality electric cars to the market and Tesla will be remembered as a pioneer that just couldn’t deliver.
    Last edited by EJL25; 1st September 2019 at 06:22.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Imo soon other car manufacturers bring better and higher quality electric cars to the market and Tesla will be remembered as a pioneer that just couldn’t deliver.
    I'm pretty sure Musk's plan in setting up Tesla was to build up the model range and charging network and be bought out by a mainstream car manufacturer looking for a quick way into the electric market. Which hasn't appeared to have happened.

Emissions Analytics is an interesting company, doing real-world testing of economy, emissions (particulates from tyres and brakes as well as exhausts), even the levels of rubbish we're breathing in while we sit in our cars. As far as I can tell they think small hybrid Diesel engines are the future and electric cars really aren't. Here's a look at why they think hybrids should be allowed a proper chance to take on electric cars:

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/n...ids-are-better

Interestingly, when Emissions Analytics (I have no connection to the company, BTW) tested the Model 3 alongside the Bolt and Ioniq with Motor Trend in California (IIRC all three went out in convoy on a three-hour drive on different roads), the Ioniq was about 50% more efficient than the Model 3, with the Bolt somewhere in the middle.

Master
    I'm pretty sure Musk's plan in setting up Tesla was to build up the model range and charging network and be bought out by a mainstream car manufacturer looking for a quick way into the electric market. Which hasn't appeared to have happened.

Emissions Analytics is an interesting company, doing real-world testing of economy, emissions (particulates from tyres and brakes as well as exhausts), even the levels of rubbish we're breathing in while we sit in our cars. As far as I can tell they think small hybrid Diesel engines are the future and electric cars really aren't. Here's a look at why they think hybrids should be allowed a proper chance to take on electric cars:

Interestingly, when Emissions Analytics (I have no connection to the company, BTW) tested the Model 3 alongside the Bolt and Ioniq with Motor Trend in California (IIRC all three went out in convoy on a three-hour drive on different roads), the Ioniq was about 50% more efficient than the Model 3, with the Bolt somewhere in the middle.
    Well I’ll be honest. My reasoning for wanting an EV has nothing to do with being ‘green’, it’s the reduced running costs that interest me. At present I’m spending between £120-£140 a week on diesel. Electric would reduce that outgoing massively.

I know this is a Tesla thread but to keep referring to it as the M3 is quite confusing...

Blog Entries
    Well I’ll be honest. My reasoning for wanting an EV has nothing to do with being ‘green’, it’s the reduced running costs that interest me. At present I’m spending between £120-£140 a week on diesel. Electric would reduce that outgoing massively.
    Yes, and my reasoning as well

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Nope not putting me off one bit
    Me neither.
    Caveat: Providing it was a company car.

Craftsman
    https://www.contractcars.com/car-lea...i-e-tron-lease

£448 a month for the Etron for 10,000 miles per year. The Audi is quieter and a much smoother ride, I like the higher driving position too.

The model 3 interior is not to the same quality the plastic quality is lower and it’s really quite sparse. There a no instruments in from of the driver it’s all in the large tablet in the centre. The UI on the version I drove was not the great. Laggy and not very intuitive.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice car but Merc, BMW and Audi are just a bit better finished.
    In fairness you have to put down 4k to lease this for that monthly payment for only 2 years. That's a cost of £14,336 over the 2 years, plus servicing (which is never cheap with Audi). The Tesla only requires filter changes, tires, and I suppose the potential is always there for something to go wrong with either car - but it has no strict annual servicing. So over the 2 years you would have paid off 1/3 of the cost of a Long Range AWD Model 3 or come to end of term on the e-Tron and have no equity or asset. Comes down to personal choice, but I know what I'd prefer.

As for the comments on Tesla interior - same goes. Personal choice - for me I really like the clean look, no buttons, not much of anything. It really bores me to look at something like the e-Golf and see the same car as the petrol equivalent - part of the excitement of electric is the fact it can be so different and futuristic. Tesla definitely capture that.

Reliability - big question mark for Tesla, fair comments on that I think. The Model 3s are still too new to really make a judgement. I think if you want to find something wrong with a model or make of any car, it's not too tough to do these days with Google! Easy enough to find widespread complaints about any of the major models from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc. Nobody is perfect, and at the end of the day Tesla with the Model 3 have produces something faster, sexier, arguably safer, and more tech-laden than many of it's rivals at an unbeatable price point.

Appreciate all the comments, the point of the thread really was to try and find actual owners of the Model 3 (particularly in the UK) and gauge their real-world experience. It would seem that nobody on the forum is yet in this position.

Sure, I understand. What's the tax situation compared to what you're paying now?

In fairness you have to put down 4k to lease this for that monthly payment for only 2 years. That's a cost of £14,336 over the 2 years, plus servicing (which is never cheap with Audi). The Tesla only requires filter changes, tires, and I suppose the potential is always there for something to go wrong with either car - but it has no strict annual servicing. So over the 2 years you would have paid off 1/3 of the cost of a Long Range AWD Model 3 or come to end of term on the e-Tron and have no equity or asset. Comes down to personal choice, but I know what I'd prefer.

As for the comments on Tesla interior - same goes. Personal choice - for me I really like the clean look, no buttons, not much of anything. It really bores me to look at something like the e-Golf and see the same car as the petrol equivalent - part of the excitement of electric is the fact it can be so different and futuristic. Tesla definitely capture that.

Reliability - big question mark for Tesla, fair comments on that I think. The Model 3s are still too new to really make a judgement. I think if you want to find something wrong with a model or make of any car, it's not too tough to do these days with Google! Easy enough to find widespread complaints about any of the major models from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc. Nobody is perfect, and at the end of the day Tesla with the Model 3 have produces something faster, sexier, arguably safer, and more tech-laden than many of it's rivals at an unbeatable price point.

Appreciate all the comments, the point of the thread really was to try and find actual owners of the Model 3 (particularly in the UK) and gauge their real-world experience. It would seem that nobody on the forum is yet in this position.

Servicing is cheap which surprised me £12 a month fully maintained on 5he Etron

Master
    Sure, I understand. What's the tax situation compared to what you're paying now?
    Probably come across a bit thick now but I don’t understand your question

Master
    Servicing is cheap which surprised me £12 a month fully maintained on 5he Etron
    First service is not until 2 years or 20k miles so the low cost is not surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I really am rolling my eyes over this one.

OP asks “I would like to hear how people are finding them”... simple.

And the thread turns into folks opinions of Tesla, EV’s and the planet. Why not start a new thread on slating EV etc and leave this one to information on owner requested thoughts and other interested parties info to date.

Some people....... I know it gets mentioned more often now, but boy this site has changed, it was such a togetherness place.

Master

Emissions Analytics we’re saying that there’d be a bigger CO2 reduction more quickly across the UKs vehicle fleet if they were all diesel mild hybrids, as it would make better use of scarce battery resources.

There is some logic to that, as one downside of increasingly long range electric vehicles is that they are carrying a lot of unused battery capacity most of the time. Everybody using the smaller onboard batteries everyday would help.

But anyway, and to save Pitch’s sanity, I’ll get back to the Model 3!

There are a lot of new Model 3 owners over on Speak EV, and they are very pleased overall after having waited a long time for them in some cases. Realistic range of the SR+ seems to be about 200 miles with 4 people on board and at genuine motorway speeds, so that sounds positive.

There are some ‘Teslarati’ on that forum, who take any criticism of the Tesla/Musk brand very personally, but there are people reporting some paint defects (that are being corrected) and the rather App based after sales support is a frustration for some.

I’ve a work colleague who has a Tesla Model S, and I certainly wouldn’t describe the interior as low quality. It felt like a nice enough place to be for me. Not an Audi or Merc cabin, but the car as a whole felt very compelling.

The M3 is supposed to be better again, I’m certainly interested in getting one when my e-Golf moves on and after I’ve seen what the VW ID range delivers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    But anyway, and to save Pitch’s sanity, I’ll get back to the Model 3!.
    Cheers buddy, feel the love.....

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday. He and I first met when we worked for BMW back in the late 80s. My friend had been speaking with a connection at McLaren who has a client who works for the California Institute of Oncology Research. This chap stated they are currently investigating a significant spike in new diagnoses of leukaemia within the state and one common factor amongst many of the patients, who are aged from their twenties upwards, is that they drive Teslas. Tesla have apparently placed the legal muzzle on this research until the connection is fully proven (understandably) but, interesting perhaps. Personally, I've always loved the idea of electric power but until such time as they make charging much faster and the range much longer, they remain impractical for my usage.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday. He and I first met when we worked for BMW back in the late 80s. My friend had been speaking with a connection at McLaren who has a client who works for the California Institute of Oncology Research. This chap stated they are currently investigating a significant spike in new diagnoses of leukaemia within the state and one common factor amongst many of the patients, who are aged from their twenties upwards, is that they drive Teslas. Tesla have apparently placed the legal muzzle on this research until the connection is fully proven (understandably) but, interesting perhaps. Personally, I've always loved the idea of electric power but until such time as they make charging much faster and the range much longer, they remain impractical for my usage.
    Wow, now imagine if that gets out and is confirmed or even having to investigate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk