closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Brexit car prices

Post Brexit car prices

Stupid not to have thought about it before but the wife wants to order a new car this weekend. Delivery is likely to be early next year. If there is no Brexit deal what extra duty is payable?

Someone please correct me, but seem to recall it'll be 10% import duty added.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Stupid not to have thought about it before but the wife wants to order a new car this weekend. Delivery is likely to be early next year. If there is no Brexit deal what extra duty is payable?
    You will need a good crystal ball for that.
    Not even WTO conditions are settled yet so ????

Personally I would either buy something standing on the shop floor/pipe line allready or wait till the dust has settled. You can try make a fixed price deal with the dealer but would yoú??

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Personally I would either buy something standing on the shop floor/pipe line allready or wait till the dust has settled. You can try make a fixed price deal with the dealer but would yoú??
    Unfortunately the combination of colour and equipment she wants isn’t very mainstream. For example it must have auto folding mirrors so she can tell if she’s locked it from a distance. Dealer stock seems to have odd combinations of options but never everything she wants in red.

It is 10% i believe, which will be passed on to the end customer.

Back when brexit was supposed to be end of March, a few manufacturers said they would hold prices on orders placed before 1st of Feb, but after that you'd have to pay, or cancel for free. I've just ordered a skoda octavia on a lease deal, delivery in 10-12 weeks, so i'm hoping i wont get hit, or i'll just cancel and rethink

We've been promised that the UK will be the best country in the world to live in after Brexit. Boris said it. So hang tight and you'll be able to get a brand new Merc S class for £10k after Brexit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    It is 10% i believe, which will be passed on to the end customer.

Back when brexit was supposed to be end of March, a few manufacturers said they would hold prices on orders placed before 1st of Feb, but after that you'd have to pay, or cancel for free. I've just ordered a skoda octavia on a lease deal, delivery in 10-12 weeks, so i'm hoping i wont get hit, or i'll just cancel and rethink
    She would be paying cash unless the finance deal was on a lower price and she could end it early. I’Il suggest that she makes sure she can cancel. I guess she would loose her deposit if she did.

PS Would I be right in assuming that 10% is added the the pre tax price the other taxes are based on that?
    Last edited by raysablade; 28th August 2019 at 13:13.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I’Il suggest that she makes sure she can cancel. I guess she would loose her deposit if she did.
    I suggest you suggest she takes the color available that has her combo of options...

A pony and trap might be a better idea.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I suggest you suggest she takes the color available that has her combo of options...
    You are a braver man than I am.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You are a braver man than I am.
    And not married; refusing to. In two stable realtionships though; both bought the car I suggested. The third broke it off this spring, but still content with the car I suggested ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Can you guarantee there'll be enough carrots to feed the ponies?

Master
    Rolex's aplenty though!

Master
    OP what brand or country of manufacture is one of the first things to consider.

If, in the unlikely event, of a no deal Brexit actually happening you can bet your bottom dollar on there being a trade deal struck by Mrs Merkel faster than a GT3 with Nitrous Oxide. The German auto industry cannot afford to lose their grip on the UK. The French and Italians will follow suit closely behind.

There maybe a few delays which might extend lead times but that’s probably about it to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    But but they need us more than we need them, don’t they....

Banned
    Blog Entries

How typical.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

If, in the unlikely event, of a no deal Brexit actually happening you can bet your bottom dollar on there being a trade deal struck by Mrs Merkel faster than a GT3 with Nitrous Oxide. The German auto industry cannot afford to lose their grip on the UK. The French and Italians will follow suit closely behind.
    Bwaaaahahahahahahaha.

I am affraid that you are at best misguided Sir.
    Your scenario is not póssible.

Surely we are already paying the import Tarriffs on cars from Japan and Korea.

But if it warms the cockles, the money goes to the chancellor, so he can spend it really good stuff like the NHS, social services, policing. So it's not really dead money.

Or why not just buy a car made in the UK and avoid tarrifs. Good for UK jobs and the UK economy. Win win.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Bwaaaahahahahahahaha.

You are quite right. Membership of the EU prevents member countries signing its own trade deals. One of the reason why many UK folks wanted to leave :-)

However I image Germany along with France and Italy will move heaven and earth to try and get a trade deal (which includes cars).

Perhaps BMW will have to start shipping models made in the US or South Africa in the meantime, but tarrifs will apply unless the UK has a trade deal in place with these countries.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

However I image Germany along with France and Italy will move heaven and earth to try and get a trade deal (which includes cars).
    Better no business than bad business.

Even áfter the UK pays it´s dues.

Anyway; seems rather heavy stuff for a car color.
    So, OP, if you think suggesting does not work, just téll her that 10% (or whatever) uplift for red is a NoNo.

Master

Post Brexit car prices

I suggest that you take whatever car is available today in the showroom.

If she later tries to say that it’s not red and doesn’t have automatic folding mirrors then tell her to stop promoting project fear and be more positive about her future relationship with the car.

And remember - the car needs her more than she needs it, so it will soon turn red of its own accord :-)

Take back control man!

Master
    Must it be brand new? nothing in the country at the moment in the right spec and colour demo model etc.

Blog Entries

..........Even áfter the UK pays it´s dues..........
    Bon chance......

Journeyman
    So i was looking to buy a new van for when the new 19 plates came out in march. While I was in the Citroen dealership looking at a Berlingo van, which judging by how many you see on the road is quite a popular van, the salesman said if I was considering one I should buy one imeadeately as if i waited until after Brexit they would likely to go up in price by as much as 25%. This was due he explained to having to pay import duty and the price of the pound falling against the Euro and the added costs of part etc etc. Now I realise most of this was sales talk to try and persuade me to make a decision there and then, but I said to him that if that were the case price wise that I would imagine the sales of not just Citroen but a lot of other european car manufacturers sales would suffer in the UK unless some kind of deal was done.

Seriously can anyone see manufacturers putting their prices up by as much as 25% due to Brexit ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    So i was looking to buy a new van for when the new 19 plates came out in march. While I was in the Citroen dealership looking at a Berlingo van, which judging by how many you see on the road is quite a popular van, the salesman said if I was considering one I should buy one imeadeately as if i waited until after Brexit they would likely to go up in price by as much as 25%. This was due he explained to having to pay import duty and the price of the pound falling against the Euro and the added costs of part etc etc. Now I realise most of this was sales talk to try and persuade me to make a decision there and then, but I said to him that if that were the case price wise that I would imagine the sales of not just Citroen but a lot of other european car manufacturers sales would suffer in the UK unless some kind of deal was done.

Seriously can anyone see manufacturers putting their prices up by as much as 25% due to Brexit ?
    Nope.

Master
    Bwaaaahahahahahahaha.

I know it’s not possible now, however if there’s no deal those rules might just get torn up. Money talks at the end of it all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Must it be brand new? nothing in the country at the moment in the right spec and colour demo model etc.
    She likes and trusts the local dealership, there's a lot to be said for that.

Master
    Buy something that is on the forecourt now.

The pound took another shunt vs the Euro today and it’s likely to go further if BoJo doesn’t get a deal.

That plus import duty will just keep making the choice more and more expensive.

Don't forget the bucket and spade,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    EU Commissioners unveil 'The car for the people' (MK2).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I know it’s not possible now, however if there’s no deal those rules might just get torn up.
    Showing how little Britain understands about the EU.

We’ll feel right at home - Zee LINKY
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    You could ask your local “trusted” dealer see if they could do a transfer of the vehicle to them from the holding dealer?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Can you guarantee there'll be enough carrots to feed the ponies?
    Cannot guarantee we won’t have to eat the ponies!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Bon chance......
    If we renege on our pre Brexit commitments how likely do you think it is that we will get favourable trading terms?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Cannot guarantee we won’t have to eat the ponies!
    Isn’t that a bit European eating horse?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    They can try, but if you look at the RRP of cars they’ve increased quite significantly like for like over the years anyway.

I suspect that they would subsidise in order to cover additional duty anyway if the Germans and French don’t lobby for a deal on cars post Brexit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    Isn’t that a bit European eating horse?

There’s the irony!

Craftsman
    When car importing was at it's peak, one of the cheapest countries to buy was Denmark because their car tax was something like 100% so the manufacturers (German one's I dealt with at least) used to sell the Danes their cars at the lowest pre tax price in Europe to help counter the high domestic taxes to keep their market share.

Buying a UK spec Audi via a Danish dealer, then importing it to the UK, you only need add 20% VAT. I bought an Audi S3 there, in the UK list was c £26k and Audi dealers wouldn't discount. The same car (albeit with 2 years manufacturers warranty, not the 3 Audi UK offered), cost around £18,000 inc UK VAT.

I see a similar situation if anything skews UK prices upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    You could ask your local “trusted” dealer see if they could do a transfer of the vehicle to them from the holding dealer?
    She is going back at the weekend, we'll check. If the worst comes to the worst there is a British alternative.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    If we renege on our pre Brexit commitments how likely do you think it is that we will get favourable trading terms?
    As likely as the EU wanting favourable terms for their trade with us perhaps.

But these points are probably better made in another place.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 29th August 2019 at 23:13.

Just get a quote from carwow or coast2coastcars and ask the dealership to match it on a stock car that's a higher spec (so will have the options already) and forget the god awful red colour and avoid any uncertainty. Unlikely they will match the cheapest quote but will certainly give you a better price.

End of September is the end of the quarter and they will want to do a deal "today" on a stock car. They're not interested in factory orders. Also you always get a better deal on a stock car than you do on a factory order. Logic dictates that if you're happy to wait, you'll be happy to pay, and they're right.

I do totally agree about the auto folding mirrors. Trying to find a Polo with them for my mum at the moment and it's a nightmare.

No idea why anyone buys a red car though. Wouldn't touch one if you paid me unless it was a Ferrari.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    As likely as the EU wanting favourable terms for their trade with us perhaps.

But these points are probably better made in another place.
    So, given the imbalance of trade......

As you say, best reserved for another place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just get a quote from carwow or coast2coastcars and ask the dealership to match it on a stock car that's a higher spec (so will have the options already) and forget the god awful red colour and avoid any uncertainty. Unlikely they will match the cheapest quote but will certainly give you a better price.

End of September is the end of the quarter and they will want to do a deal "today" on a stock car. They're not interested in factory orders. Also you always get a better deal on a stock car than you do on a factory order. Logic dictates that if you're happy to wait, you'll be happy to pay, and they're right.

I do totally agree about the auto folding mirrors. Trying to find a Polo with them for my mum at the moment and it's a nightmare.

No idea why anyone buys a red car though. Wouldn't touch one if you paid me unless it was a Ferrari.
    Yes, you could buy the best specced you find now and get it vynil wrapped in red. Still cheaper I think than waiting etc

Master
    You throw away quite a lot of money if you buy new - I have just bought a 10 month old BMW X1, an ex BMW staff car, from a BMW Dealer for £13,500 less than the list price - the car was like new, not a mark on it and with only 3,750 miles on the clock.

The above is quite normal and most Main Dealers will be offering similar discounts at the present time.

There is so much good value in the nearly new car market ......... I do not think that I would ever buy new

Because, after the end of October he can burn the trap to cook the pony?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Because, after the end of October he can burn the trap to cook the pony?
    Oh, how continental... I doubt the rabid brexiteers will approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Oh, how continental... I doubt the rabid brexiteers will approve.
    They'll be too busy making coffees and clearing tables according to PWC.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ha ha😉

Try adding: easy to park in town, at least 125bhp, automatic, dual zone climate, heated seats, “good” lights and blind spot monitoring to the list. And under £25000. Bizarre but a Polo GTI is topping her list and she’s no spring chicken.

None of the used searches I’ve found include all of the things she wants.

The basic problem is that she likes to: pay cash, keep her cars for at least 5 years and that’s a long time to go without something you’ve had and enjoyed.

Waiting for the dust to settle and biting the bullet on a factory order seems sensible.

Master
    Ha ha

Try adding: easy to park in town, at least 125bhp, automatic, dual zone climate, heated seats, “good” lights and blind spot monitoring to the list. And under £25000. Bizarre but a Polo GTI is topping her list and she’s no spring chicken.

None of the used searches I’ve found include all of the things she wants.

The basic problem is that she likes to: pay cash, keep her cars for at least 5 years and that’s a long time to go without something you’ve had and enjoyed.

Waiting for the dust to settle and biting the bullet on a factory order seems sensible.
    Has she considered a Honda Civic I believe that the top offering has all of these as standard.

Edit: yep it looks like the EX or Prestige trim level have those features
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 30th August 2019 at 10:17.