closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 131 of 131

Thread: New Land Rover Defender revealed...

  1. #101
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    17,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Apologies, I was talking Merc Gs. I would imagine the ratio for Defenders, rebuilt or otherwise, would be much less.
    No, 80% Defenders still on the road sounds about right. The remaining 20% made it home.
    Don't take my silence for agreement. I've just realised you're too stupid to argue with.

  2. #102
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No, 80% Defenders still on the road sounds about right. The remaining 20% made it home.
    Indeed!

  3. #103
    Hot off the press from Land Rover.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #104



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #105
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    2,916
    Should be great for bumping over the kerbs in Chelsea, that's if the engine is not doing its Mr frothy impression..

  6. #106
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    3,591
    It just looks..............odd.

  7. #107
    I don't think they look too bad. Be better to see one in the flesh. That front (valance?) looks a bit low and exposed though.

  8. #108
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E. Sussex
    Posts
    900
    Well, it's not a 'Defender/Land Rover" as we know it and never was going to be, it's more a macho'd up Discovery but it could have been a lot worse. As a utility Landy lover and user for 20 years I'm just pleased there are enough old ones about for the rest of us to enjoy.


  9. #109
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,677
    Makes my soon to be handmade G Wagen look cheap! I very much like the look of the X, but not at over £85k for the spec I would want. Ludicrous pricing policy by JLR.

  10. #110
    What was wrong with the old defender?!

  11. #111
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,048
    Very impressive specs but it isnít a car you will buy for its looks.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    What was wrong with the old defender?!
    It wasn't selling. It was expensive to build. It didn't conform to modern safety and emissions standards.

  13. #113

  14. #114
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    25,394
    The Hamster's on it


  15. #115
    Its the Talbot Rancho mk 2

  16. #116
    Elegant arrival mode. A Defender?

  17. #117
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,840

    New Land Rover Defender revealed...

    Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    Yes indeed. The new one is not aimed at that market although its aims are durability and unbeaten off-road capability.

    Time will tell us if they’ve achieved that but I suspect most buyers won’t get it muddy despite its abilities.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats the crux of it. Having seen the release videos today I have to say it is a lovely vehicle and clearly has the capabilities (and more) of it's predecessor. It's clearly not being targeted at it's original Defender market but will clearly be an attractive alternative for LR owners.

    This vehicle in all honesty should have been the reincarnation of the Discovery, as this will most probably be it's biggest demographic of buyers imho. It isn't a "working" vehicle in the true sense, being far more refined and seriously expensive. As it doesn't draw on the Defender's heritage and utilitarian function the LR 2020 "Pretender" would have been a more apt name.

    I like it nevertheless but not as a Defender "upgrade", and maybe 5 years down the line I will consider a secondhand model, once it has proven it's worth, seriously depreciated and had all the recalls sorted (so many JLR ECU's in one vehicle, what could possibly go wrong after wading through a river!), as I was always a fan of the older Discovery, but for now I will happily enjoy the charms of my original TD5.

    Last edited by Chinnock; 10th September 2019 at 14:12.

  18. #118
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    1,836
    Lego have released a technic model of the new Defender

    https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...er-model/40939



    Looks like a challenging and fun build.

  19. #119
    Master Swissz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Switzerland/France
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Lego have released a technic model of the new Defender

    https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...er-model/40939



    Looks like a challenging and fun build.
    The Lego model looks 10 times better than the Kia Soul LR has called a Defender

  20. #120

  21. #121
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    11,867
    I think it looks a bit boxy.




    Oh wait, that's the Honda Element.

  22. #122
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    3,935
    I owned a new 1990 Land Rover Defender 90 for towing the horse box and other work around the place.

    I loved it for 40k miles and 5 years, cramped interior and all, then the engine went bang. It had been serviced on the button but still the dealer and LR didnít want to help with the costs of rebuilding the engine.

    I recovered it to a specialist, paid for the rebuild and then sold it.

    Iíve kind of missed it ever since, and you can see the DNA in this new ĎDefenderí, but as others have said a totally different market is now being aimed at.

    I often look at the price the original defenders are being offered at on Auto Trader etc, and wish Iíd hung onto it!

  23. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think it looks a bit boxy.




    Oh wait, that's the Honda Element.
    This got me thinking...



    ... and the new Toyota 4Runner looks even better.

  24. #124
    The line of Defence regarding reliability...

    https://www.caradvice.com.au/792278/...t-reliability/

  25. #125
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    665
    Seen the base 90 in the flesh at Goodwood and to be honest I like it. I should add I have had a number of the previous iterations including several 80inch series 1.
    Whether I like it enough to replace my Navara which was half the price, Iíll wait and see what they are like in the real world.
    Last edited by MonkeyBoy; 13th September 2019 at 19:22.

  26. #126
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Shropshire (unsurprisingly)
    Posts
    404
    Does anyone know which models will be commercial vehicles from HMRC perspective?

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  27. #127
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    665
    Land Roverís site says there will be a commercial option later in the year, I signed up for notification last week.

  28. #128
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,880
    New Landrover, TZ version, unveiled!


    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  29. #129
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    181
    I read the in-depth Defender article in Car Magazine over the weekend. I think it's extremely fussy and hugely overpriced. I'm also very surprised that JLR doesn't see the need to have their entry level vehicle at a lower price point from a commercial point of view (but what do I know). If I was going to put £45k into an SUV (which is all the defender really is now) there are loads of more slick options at that price range.

  30. #130
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Driffield, UK
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I read the in-depth Defender article in Car Magazine over the weekend. I think it's extremely fussy and hugely overpriced. I'm also very surprised that JLR doesn't see the need to have their entry level vehicle at a lower price point from a commercial point of view (but what do I know). If I was going to put £45k into an SUV (which is all the defender really is now) there are loads of more slick options at that price range.
    and a telling note from LRO along the lines that it's too expensive as a workhorse and it's really a more macho disco with the comment 'why'?

  31. #131
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    714
    My understanding is that commercial versions will be available in 2020.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •