closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What to wear in rotation with a Submariner?

Master

What to wear in rotation with a Submariner?

My 14060m has rather unexpectedly risen in value since I picked it up and consequently I’m thinking about another purchase to add in to the fold. I already have a Seamaster Pro as a ‘beater’.

I was looking at the new Black Bay 41 and Pelagos but the cases look pretty high, compare to my current watches. I’ve had a 16570 and a Datejust in the past but I think I’ve missed the boat on those.

Recommendations gratefully received!

Master
    Speedmaster to balance the 2 dive watches?
    A Moonwatch gives the option of a chronograph & it will look good with either smart or casual clothes. It's a lot of watch for the money.

Master
    I’ve had a Speedmaster before and I couldn’t get on with the domed crystal. Loved the look of it though.

Master
    What’s your budget? Why have you missed the boat on a Datejust? Seems like it would go very nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    What’s your budget? Why have you missed the boat on a Datejust? Seems like it would go very nicely!

I agree with this. I've got a Seamaster 2254 as a diver & a Speedy as a chronograph, but my day to day piece is a DJ41 in SS, rhodium dial, smooth bezel & Oyster bracelet. I think it's less blingy than the fluted bezel / Jubilee combo & so goes with more things, though I appreciate that's a personal opinion. Got mine at list from WoS on Oxford Street after a speculative phone call.
    Last edited by Speedy2254; 27th August 2019 at 11:19. Reason: Computer can't spell!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post

I suppose the budget would be about £2k. I had a 36mm DJ in the past that I paid about £1.8k for but it was too small. Similarly I had a black 16570 that I sold on here a few years ago for just over £2k (head only, no B&P) that I would dearly love to buy back at the same price but funnily enough I don't think that is going to happen.

Master
    Save your money and just wear the watches you have.

I have reduced my collection to 2 plus a beater and it's great as i can wear my favourite watches more rather than look at them in a watch box.

Master
    One watch is just fine, it’s all anyone actually needs. And why does the fact that your Sub is worth more , mean you need another watch? All a bit puzzling. Perhaps, you just like buying more watches. Plenty to choose from.

I find a heavy gold and diamond chain worn prominently over my track suit and a matching Rottweiler on my right wrist is an adequate foil to those ne’er do wells who covet my shiny Rolex wrist trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    My 14060m has rather unexpectedly risen in value since I picked it up and consequently I’m thinking about another purchase to add in to the fold. I already have a Seamaster Pro as a ‘beater’.

I was looking at the new Black Bay 41 and Pelagos but the cases look pretty high, compare to my current watches. I’ve had a 16570 and a Datejust in the past but I think I’ve missed the boat on those.

Say no more, you need a Day-Date in your life.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Explorer or Oyster Perpetual- elegant simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Say no more, you need a Day-Date in your life.
    Or a swatch.

Wear it, enjoy it, stop seeing it as a (4) mortgage payment(s) on your wrist. Otherwise a g-shock is more accurate and robust.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    One watch is just fine, it’s all anyone actually needs. And why does the fact that your Sub is worth more , mean you need another watch? All a bit puzzling. Perhaps, you just like buying more watches. Plenty to choose from.
    I suppose if it's gaining it makes sense to keep it in semi decent nick, rather than getting a bit bashed around.

For the record I haven't bought a watch since 2016.

I don’t have one (yet), but I’d recommend the discontinued Black Bay ETA. It’s a fair bit thinner than the current ones.

The black one is the rarest modern Rolex diver... maybe the gemset Submariners are fewer, but they’re their own thing. You may, however, prefer the red or blue bezel ones - in which case, you’ve saved a bit of money.

The Black Bays are a great watch, particularly as a companion to a Submariner. Shared heritage and dial design, with enough difference to make each distinct. Can be worn in situations/to places where you’d feel uncomfortable with a Rolex, but would still look good with a suit.

The Black Bay 58 would be another obvious alternative. I prefer the ETA’s dial, but the 58’s classical dimensions would wear better on a smaller wrist. I think there’s a bit of a wait for one on a bracelet at the moment, but nowhere near Rolex/Patek sports times.

Get a Tudor chrono!

Craftsman
    Wear the Subby! You already have it and Your a long time dead.Enjoy it!!

The BB 41 is lovely but you are correct in that it sits higher on the wrist. I had one, but when I bought my submariner I just didn't wear it anymore. Maybe just enjoy the 14060M and forget about its value-it is the same watch it was last year.

Craftsman
    Pelagos is a fine looking watch

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    I more than often wear a SKX007 in rotation to the Sub, (16610) during the day

lets you appreciate the (different) qualities of each watch/manufacturer

Get something different and go GS quartz.

If your budget is around £2000 why not try an older Tudor Submariner they are quite lovely.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatch1 View Post
    If your budget is around £2000 why not try an older Tudor Submariner they are quite lovely.

Unless you know something I don’t then there is no chance of getting one for £2k... they seem to start at about 4k nowadays.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At £2K, I'd be looking at an Aerospace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Yes indeed

D

Craftsman
    Feel in a similar boat, noticed knocking my 16710 against the desk etc a few times in the last week and thought maybe I need to start rotating with something else! Will watch the suggestions here eagerly.

I was thinking of an older datejust or OP, or oddly a PO (though haven’t tried one in the flesh). Alternatively thinking about grand seiko but only really like some of the LE dials.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatch1 View Post

On what planet please? Or have you just woken from a long coma?

Around 3 years ago I kicked myself for not buying a Snowflake for around £3.5k. Around 3 months ago I gritted my teeth and paid just shy of double that figure for one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How about a Jenny Caribbean? Or perhaps a Certina DS 1? How about an Enicar Sherpa superjet or even a Zodiac Super Seawolf. Hell, why not push the boat out and get the actual Tudor that was worn on '52 -54 expedition the current homages are celebrating? You know, the one that shares the same two piece case with the Rolex used on Everest in '1953?

Just a thought.
    Last edited by M4tt; 27th August 2019 at 23:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Lovely watch but the servicing costs of Breitling put me off. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Lovely watch but the servicing costs of Breitling put me off. Shame.
    If the rotation watch is going to be from one of the main luxury brands, then you are stuck with the service costs. Nothing is particularly cheap to service, particularly if it’s a Chrono, even from Sinn / Damasko

D

What to wear in rotation with a Submariner?

I have a 14060 and swap between all sorts, a nice colourful change is a vintage Seiko chrono, but I do like my divers and a Sinn EZM2 is a great pick up and go watch being quartz, wears like the Sub but has a small date and it will out depth any watch due to the oil filled case, works on lots of straps too.

Master
    I had a Tudor Sub in the past (how I regret selling that) and I’m not a Breitling fan.

Maybe I should give the SKX some wrist time but it does wear large, especially on the Strapcode Super Oyster.

Blog Entries

Get a Dora and use the Sub as a beater?.............

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries

You can’t go wrong with a DJ41 as a day to day watch.
    Last edited by geoffcotton; 29th August 2019 at 20:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post

You can’t go wrong with a DJ41 as a day to day watch.
    Looks great. I am a daily sub wearer. I have recently acquired a DJ 41 and am really impressed. It is definitely a suitable candidate to be worn in rotation with a sub.

Master
    I don't want to come across as negative/a picky bugger but the PCL on the new DJ41 turn me off.

I'm now looking at a Broad Arrow and an Aqua Terra (both incidentally white dials with blue hands which I think look great!)

I wear my Speedmaster at weekends and Explorer II during weekdays.

Its a date thing.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I'd argue that you need at least 2 and possibly 3 depending on your lifestyle

1. Something special (optional)
    2. Something for every day
    3. Something with a suit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I'd argue that you need at least 2 and possibly 3 depending on your lifestyle

1. Something special (optional)
    2. Something for every day
    3. Something with a suit
    I would add, something for cleaning the car in and for other dirty jobs - I always stick my CWC quartz on when I know the watch will get scratched - although it never seems to

Master
    I don't want to come across as negative/a picky bugger but the PCL on the new DJ41 turn me off.

I'm now looking at a Broad Arrow and an Aqua Terra (both incidentally white dials with blue hands which I think look great!)
    Share your view on the PCLs. I took the DJ on the jubilee partly for that reason. I have the PCL on a GMT and have never worn the bracelet!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Explorer 114270