closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Summerhouse

  1. #1

    Summerhouse

    Hi, does anyone on this helpful place have any recommendations for a summerhouse, we're looking for an octagonal one around the 2.4m size.

    We've found a few different makes Malvern, Chelsea, Scotts of Thrapston all seem similar made from cedar or red grandis hardwood.

    I'm a little surprised to not find many upvc ones as its really just a standalone conservatory :), we found a company called Nordic but they are really too big for our needs

    Thanks all

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    375
    Iíve bought from Lugarde in the past (www.lugarde.com). Treated softwood, easy to put together, lasts for years.

  3. #3
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    25,508
    Bertsch Holzbau are very good quality.

    Whatever you get highly recommend you buy a thick one i.e. circa. 45mm planking as gives much better result than the standard 20mm or so stuff and doesnít cost much extra £££s.

  4. #4
    Weíve just put a 10 x 8 ft Malvern Pent summerhouse in. It was about £7k. We are pleased with the result, and it is insulated so can be used all year round.

    But with companies like Malvern you massively pay for convenience. I went to the showroom, picked the one I like and it was constructed, delivered and installed without me lifting a finger.

    Compare this to a colleague at work who constructed his own summerhouse; twice the size and better quality for almost one third of the price.

    But, unlike him, I was more cash rich and time poor, and donít have any woodwork skills either.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,605
    We bought one from John Lewis - octagonal, cedar - it wasn't cheap but delivered and assembled on a base we had made to their specifications, so no hassle. It was made and supplied by Crane and seemed well priced against their own offerings. It's very good quality.

    Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    When we moved to our current house in 2016, one of the first things we did was get a garden room. We got ours from Homestead Garden Rooms. We also went the convenience first route. The yard had a tatty sheet metal shed on a concrete base. The Homestead folks dismantled the sheet metal shed, took it away, and fixed up the concrete base. We wanted to have room around the shed for painting, and there was a tree in front that we wanted to keep, so the size of the shed 11x12 feet (3.35x3.66m) was decided by those factors. It probably sits a bit too close to the tree, but we cope. Here's a picture.



    We had them put a dividing wall up so that there was 1/3 work area for me and 2/3 standard room. Fully insulated. They also put a little loft in over the work area, and wired the whole thing for lights and electricity.

    Here's the work area, a bit tight but manageable.



    Here's the main bit.



    It gets a lot of use, all year round.

    Best wishes,
    Bob

  7. #7
    Thanks for the replies all, we are looking for the convenience route (due to me lacking certain skills and time ;)) so happy to spend my well earned cash

    We did see the Crane one on the JL site, I hadn't found the Lugarde, Bertsch Holzbau or Homestead sites so will take a look at them

    Must admit a couple of the ones we found had some built in bench seating which seemed like a good use of space and also some storage space in the benches which is always a benefit

    Keep the recommendations coming, the more the merrier :), cheers

  8. #8
    Just had a custom made one done for us out of oak and cedar. It was not cheap but incredibly well made and will definitely outlast us.
    The roof shingles are all hand cut from cedar and took three days to install.

    The person who did it specialises in oak barns and restoration and this was the second after his own. He wants to branch out a bit so we were a bit of a guinea pig.




  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Just had a custom made one done for us out of oak and cedar. It was not cheap but incredibly well made and will definitely outlast us.
    The roof shingles are all hand cut from cedar and took three days to install.

    The person who did it specialises in oak barns and restoration and this was the second after his own. He wants to branch out a bit so we were a bit of a guinea pig.



    Wow, that does look very special any hint on price if you don't mind, the ones we've been looking at are up to around 15k, as I see you're berkshire based as are we so it could be an option, thanks
    Last edited by hallanthony; 27th August 2019 at 18:53.

  10. #10
    It came in about a Tudor black bay above £15k
    If you want the guys details drop me a pm. He is not the quickest but canít fault to quality of work and design. And itís something completely bespoke so I think the price is pretty fair. We have certainly been using it a lot since !!


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    It came in about a Tudor black bay above £15k
    If you want the guys details drop me a pm. He is not the quickest but canít fault to quality of work and design. And itís something completely bespoke so I think the price is pretty fair. We have certainly been using it a lot since !!


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks, I think my wife's just about decided on the Malvern which is on offer until the end of the week at a shade over 10k so I think we'll end up going for that :)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by hallanthony View Post
    Malvern which is on offer until the end of the week
    No need to rush to get the offer from Malvern. Itís a permanent 20% discount offer which roles over each month.

    A 20% discounted price off Malvern should be considered the normal RRP. You should be looking for a bit better than that. I got 25% which saved a few hundred quid.

    Be careful with the painted summerhouses. I could see the knots coming through in the showroom.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Iíve bought from Lugarde in the past (www.lugarde.com). Treated softwood, easy to put together, lasts for years.
    The Dutch brand! Only 15 miles from my house! Most summerhouses I see here are from Lugarde. Certainly the octagonal ones!

    Menno

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Just had a custom made one done for us out of oak and cedar. It was not cheap but incredibly well made and will definitely outlast us.
    The roof shingles are all hand cut from cedar and took three days to install.

    The person who did it specialises in oak barns and restoration and this was the second after his own. He wants to branch out a bit so we were a bit of a guinea pig.



    This is really, really nice. (*Must not show it to my wife...). For me, it's the roof that makes the difference and perhaps the off-set positioning on the deck.

  15. #15
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    188
    Think I'd quite like one of these

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    No need to rush to get the offer from Malvern. Itís a permanent 20% discount offer which roles over each month.

    A 20% discounted price off Malvern should be considered the normal RRP. You should be looking for a bit better than that. I got 25% which saved a few hundred quid.

    Be careful with the painted summerhouses. I could see the knots coming through in the showroom.
    Ah thanks for that I did wonder if they were one of those companies with permanent discounts, I shall relax and ponder a little longer then
    Last edited by hallanthony; 29th August 2019 at 18:43.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,863
    These look fab but I think I’d have to have a pop at constructing something myself especially if it was costing 1/2 my salary
    Last edited by lewie; 29th August 2019 at 18:35.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    4,365

    Summerhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Think I'd quite like one of these
    That is very cool. When house hunting some years back, one of the places we looked at had a plane in the garden with landing lights etc wired up.

    I think Iím in love with the bespoke oak and cedar one above though. Thatís lovely.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The Dutch brand! Only 15 miles from my house! Most summerhouses I see here are from Lugarde. Certainly the octagonal ones! Menno
    It certainly is. It arrived on a Dutch lorry, the type with the little forklift attached to the back. Mine was octaganal. I got a mate to make me some benches that fit. It cost around £1,500 then but they have risen (prob due to Euro) to just over £2k now.

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    london
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    That is very cool. When house hunting some years back, one of the places we looked at had a plane in the garden with landing lights etc wired up.

    I think Iím in love with the bespoke oak and cedar one above though. Thatís lovely.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    wow must have been either a very small plane or a very large garden .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •