closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barometer advice?

Barometer advice?

I have been given a barometer (brass cased and from the Nauticalia shop)
    It is £60 example and is made in China.
    I was wondering as to the level of accuracy I can expect from this? Nauticalia say the mechanicals are good quality but are not designed to be high precision at the given price point.
    I’ve very little knowledge of barometers but suspect that this type is possibly more ornamental than a serious instrument?
    I have also contacted Weems and Plath and also Wempe both of whom use Chinese mechanicals in their cheaper ranges.
    Presumably there is not much I can do to increase accuracy (I’ve calibrated it using the brass screw at the back using Met Office pressure data but it’s not really tracking this).
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Sadly I cannot help you with the accuracy of your instuments, but I doubt the Met Office will be contacting you tonight for a reading and forcecast. I have a couple of barometers that have given me great enjoyment for many years.

The cheap and cheerful Weathermaster cost about £20 when I bought it approx 30 years ago, it seems fairly accurate.

I also have an old Banjo barometer that came into my ownership 25 years. My wife's best friend's grandma passed away and her family were clearing her house out. We were newly married and had just bought a house and had little in the way of furniture. I remember coming out of house with a couple of chairs, a small sofa and solid wood dining table. I noticed the barometer on the wall and cheekily asked if I could have it. If I didn't take the barometer it would have gone to the house clearance company who were due to come the next day. The barometer has no manufacturer info on it but I think it dates to about the 1930s.