closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Chronograph Collection

Hybrid View

Master

Lightbulb My Chronograph Collection

Ever since I was a young chap, and first got interested in watches, I was always drawn to chronographs, back then I could only afford cheaper watches, and gravitated towards sekonda, Tissot and some spurious brands I’ve long forgotten.

As my interest and knowledge grew, I ended up with Sinn, Certina, Heuer and Omega.

Some time ago I was lucky enough to be able to get what was to me the ultimate chronograph, the Daytona. Following on from that I’ve added a Monaco, a Speedmaster and last but not least a Zenith El Primero.

To me these are the most iconic chronographs I’d like to own, so I’m saying my chronic Chrono addiction is satisfied for now...

So what is it about these watches I find so alluring?. I’m not actually sure, but I think it’s to do with two elements, firstly the Chronograph itself, although rarely if ever used, I like the idea that a watch can do something other than tell the time, a Chrono can freeze time, and measure speed, there is something appealing about that.

Secondly it’s the names and the association with speed and motorsport, Daytona, Monaco, Speedmaster, Monza, Silverstone and Carerra, all evocative names, associated with speed, glamour and danger.

So onto the watches. In no particular order, and please excuse the dust and fingerprints, these watches are all worn on a regular basis.

The Zenith El Primero. 38mm
    The newest edition, and to me a true re edition of the original.
    Some lovely details on this watch, such as the polished sides, and satin lugs,
    I also really like the little red details on the Chrono hands, it’s a great size for a smaller wrist, although it is on the thick side.
    The crocodile strap, and deployant turn it from a sport watch into more of a dressy style, and both the clasp and the bracelet are a very high quality. I particularly like the machine marks on the bracelet butterfly clasp.
    On top of all this we have the display back showing that beautifully finished el Primero movement.
    Pushing the pushers, and seeing them actuate the arms inside the movement is mesmerising.

Next up the Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, not a lot to be said that’s not been said before, mine is the plexi glass version, and again I can wear it on the bracelet or brown leather strap or nato....I’m not that keen on the nato.
    I like the fact that the bracelet is mostly brush finished and therefore should be more durable than the Daytona or the very polished Zenith bracelet which in all honesty is a bit on the blingy side...
    Back to the Speedmaster, for a large watch it wears well. I love hand winding it, as it’s the only hand wind in my collection. Something very satisfying about having to wind it to make it go.

Onto the Monaco. This is the Steve McQueen re edition with the calibre 17 movement.
    I know many people have a bit of a downer on Tag but not me. I like the Heuer branding, and the pure heft of this watch, considering it’s the only one here not with a bracelet, I’d be surprised if it’s not the heaviest. It’s a big in your face watch, and I can appreciate that for what it is. I can imagine that in the 70’s it was probably a bit of a shock to see a watch of this size. Most men’s watches back then were around 34mm or less, this thing must have looked like a clock.
    I like the finishing on the Heuer, there’s polished surfaces, brushed and satin, it also has a very thick crystal that looks like it can take a bash and keep on going..
    Ok the movement is nothing special, and if I’m honest I’m not keen on the display back, it’s unnecessary and the original looked better with a solid case back.
    In saying that, although it’s not a chronometer it’s just as accurate as my Daytona. So all in all it’s a good addition to my collection

The Daytona, much like the speedy, I can’t say anything about it that’s not been said many times, but I can tell you how I feel about it. I love this watch. For me it’s the perfect size, and the perfect thickness, in other words just right.
    The fact that it’s a chronometer, and has a 70 hour power reserve is proof enough that it’s a step above the others when it comes to the build of this watch.
    It’s a very tactile watch, the curves on the case and the rounded sides just look like pure class to me, in fact a bit like the Datejust case which again is a shape I like.
    It’s the only one in my collection that was bought used, and had just come back from a Rolex service so was like new.
    I’m glad I bought it when I did, and even then I thought it was a bit on the expensive side, but now 5 years on it turns out it was a bargain.
    I would only ever sell this watch if I could replace it with a ceramic, and that won’t happen anytime soon so it’s a keeper for now.

So to the main reason for this thread which was to share my thoughts on my chronographs.
    I’m not knowledgable enough to discuss all the technical details of these watches, and if I’m honest I’m not that interested. For me it’s more about aesthetics, history and how they make me feel.
    So let’s sort them out in order of preference

Best watch Daytona. It just is.

Favourite watch. Zenith. I love the history of zenith, and the little touches that show real attention to the smallest detail. It’s just a beautiful thing to behold.

Most useful. Heuer. It’s the most legible and easy to tell the time with.

Most iconic Has to be the Speedmaster, it’s history speaks for itself, and the fact it’s hardly changed from the original shows that omega got it right first time

But just to finish off my little chronograph ditty, here’s a spanner in the works..

The Heuer Monza. As I said above I’m. A Heuer fan, and the Monza is a fine watch with a lot going for it. Titanium so very light, cushion case so very comfortable, same calibre 17 movement as the Monaco so very accurate,
    Much thinner than the Monaco which aids the wearability, and PVD coating making it very durable.

So that’s it, that’s my chronograph addiction explained..!!!!!

Excellent write up and photography! I love both those (Tag) Heuers, and it's nice to see someone so passionate about them.

Wear them in good health

Dave

Nice post, I also like the aesthetics and history associated with chronographs, even if I do not wear mine as often as I should, probably as they are all on leather which is just too hot at the moment.

The monza reissue is a nice watch, as you say the titanium case wears very light, even though I still think of it as quite a big, thick watch when I have tried it on in shops. It's a bit of a funny one for me as it is like the offspring of two older watches I own, the chrome 150.511 and the el-primero powered cal 36 from the early 2000's.

Last edited by carryondentist; 25th August 2019 at 21:17. Reason: Photo link

Lovely. Thank you for the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like your passion and all the watches excepting the Daytona.
    Have you still got the Sinn?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I like your passion and all the watches excepting the Daytona.
    Have you still got the Sinn?
    No it was sold to a regular TZer... A 956 Klassik

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s gorgeous I would have kept it.

That's a nice, well balanced collection. Why all new, was it a case of cost or functionality? Or does it not matter to you because they're still the classic watches, just modern versions?
    "A man of little significance"

Congratulations on a wonderful collection. It may not be a ceramic but that Daytona is a lovely piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Lovely watches. Every time I see those zeniths I love them more. The silver dial 1969 may be my next watch.

Lovely collection of some stunning chronographs

Thanks for that, very interesting and relevant to me, I’ve recently traded both of my chronographs (Daytona and Speedy) for a grail and would like one back in the collection. I think a Monaco could fit the bill... or maybe the Zenith... here we go again!

Great post, great pictures and a lovely collection. I've not yet owned a mechanical chronograph but I plan to change that very soon!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Beautiful collection of watches I would be most proud if it were mine .Nice indeed

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using TZ-UK mobile app

A wonderful post reminding us of the joy of watches and why we love wearing them. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have all the classics. Great collection!!!

Blog Entries
    Great collection and nice to know why you like each one. And for once someone who actually wears them all, a pleasant change from the safe queens.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Love the El Primero more every time I see it

Great collection overall - all the classics. Maybe you need something a bit left-field next?

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting this - I am a chronograph nut myself and really enjoyed reading this. I have lusted after all the watches you have. But after either trying or buying them the only one that has stuck is the Speedmaster. I couldn't get on with the overlapping sub dials of the Zenith, nor its bracelet. It was beautifully made but the clasp was too chunky for me. The Monaco wears like a clock on my wrist. The negative reaction to that has pushed me any from any sort of cushion or square case. The Daytona was the closest to pushing the Speedmaster out of my first place but I couldn't bring myself to pay the price.
    I am still looking for the next chrono but not sure what it will be. Recently tried the new Arktis, the Bathyscaphe chrono and the Breguet XX. But again none of them pushed the Speedmaster out of my mind. Anyway the addiction goes one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the comments folks, and glad you like the thread..makes the effort worth while.

Something I forgot to mention in the initial post was that even though a chronograph is a chronograph, I was conscious of trying to add variety and choice and difference between the watches.
    Round, square, and cushion.

Hence my decision not to go with the blue Zenith, because I already had a blue Monaco.

I think I’ve achieved my aim of different colours with white, blue, grey and black. But also the fact that I can dress the watches up or down with a variety of leather, nato and bracelet straps.

All in all it makes for a very flexible set of watches, and there should be one amongst them for most occasions.

As a bracelet man, I have to say I’m enjoying wearing the Omega, and the Zenith on leather straps, much more than I thought I would.
    Sometimes a change is good..

Master
    Lovely collection and good write up.
    Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Excellent stuff all around- the watches, the write up and the pics.

Great write up! I do like a good chronograph. I have a couple - an IWC with a 7750 and a 116520 Daytona. Any chrono I buy next however has to be a step up - so flyback, split or a top quality manual wind column wheel. Things do get pricey very quickly however.

Incidentally I bought my 116520 3 years ago just after the ceramic version came out. I thought pricey, but no one really wanted them as they were all chasing the ceramic version. Turned out to be a great decision! For a modern automatic chrono movement it's one of the best.

Thanks for posting those, I like a nice chrono, and could easily be persuaded to have another Zenith.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    A perfect collection! Thanks for sharing, and continue to enjoy them for many years.

Master
    Lovely collection. The monaco is not for me but all the others I would be very proud to own and I love my Speedy. As an aside, I also do find the chronograph function a genuinely useful thing!

I love threads like this! A really nicely thought out collection, lots of photographs and some really interesting and personal snippets of information about each watch. Thanks for taking the time and effort, it is very much appreciated.

Very nice quartet

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting OP I’ve been looking at the Zenith Heritage Cronometro TIPO CP-
    03.2240.4069/21 but worried at 43Mom it will look too large on my 6.75 inch wrist. The Zenith Premiro at 38mm on the other hand will get a look in
    My flat was recently badly damaged in a fire (mercifully my family were out as it was being decorated pending its sale) so the watch fund is being diverted to get it back to its original state.

Craftsman
    Great Read. Lovely pictures. You have reignited my desire for a Monaco.
    Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Very impressive. Congratulations.