TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best vintage Dress Watch under £500

Master

Best vintage Dress Watch under £500

Post yours

Here's one I picked up for under £300

still cannot decide which strap to get - original one has started to crack

Master
    Any tips on searching for a watch like this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Any tips on searching for a watch like this?
    I got mine off eBay

Master
    Definitely vintage watch bargains still to be found on eBay. But better to set some money aside for a service.

These are great watches op ,fantastic value .Have you opened the back ? I guess a 30l manual check for a blue balance spring maybe a unmarked chronometer movement from the 50s !

If you look at my thread on my cal 345 there is another member with one of these , he had a bit of trouble with finding a strap 17 mm lug width I believe ? probably worth a pm for info as he may have purchased by now

Plated or gold? Either way, looks in nice condition.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Plated or gold? Either way, looks in nice condition.

Cheers

Foggy
    plated - or the posh word "filled"

it's in lovely nick

need to decide on a strap

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    plated - or the posh word "filled"

it's in lovely nick

need to decide on a strap
    Plated and gold- filled are actually quite different, gold- filled refers to rolled gold or it may be used to describe a gold- capped watch. Rolled gold or gold- capped watches have a much thicker layer of outer gold than plated, as I understand it the best gold-plate is around 40 microns ( often 20) whereas rolled gold or capped is between 80 and 200 microns.

Regardless if wether a case is gold- filled or plated, condition is what counts and these watches do need inspecting carefully, there’s far less scope for refinishing than both steel or solid gold. If in decent condition they can represent excellent value.

There was a very nice gold filled Omega Geneve on SC about a week ago that didn't seem to find a buyer, was a bit under £300. Bargain at that price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Plated and gold- filled are actually quite different, gold- filled refers to rolled gold or it may be used to describe a gold- capped watch. Rolled gold or gold- capped watches have a much thicker layer of outer gold than plated, as I understand it the best gold-plate is around 40 microns ( often 20) whereas rolled gold or capped is between 80 and 200 microns.

Regardless if wether a case is gold- filled or plated, condition is what counts and these watches do need inspecting carefully, there’s far less scope for refinishing than both steel or solid gold. If in decent condition they can represent excellent value.
    I know what you mean - I have a couple of Cartier Tanks were the plating has just worn off

a couple of shots of the Flagships innards

Master
    upload photos to paste code

This beauty was a tad over £500 (£550 to be precise) but came with 1) a genuine omega BOR bracelet and 2) a recent service by Paul. An absolute bargain IMO...

Master
    bought this for if i remember correctly under the the limit.its 9ct gold cased and 36mm plus crown .bracelet didnt come in the sale ,thats 18ct gold....

Master

£480 on Chrono 24 French private sale ( not related to me btw )

Chrono 24 will give you a good base line and everything is negotiable . Look out for Austin Kaye sales where they might drop a watch into relative bargain ( they provide 2 year service )

Avoid watches from India as they are always redialled or Franken.
    In general a 9ct gold dress watch from Longine will probably be same price as a Rolled Gold Omega dress watch. My view is that Longine really have some “pretty” dress watches whereas Omega are often slightly more restrained . The restrained look does make a Seamaster or deville SS extremely versatile.

If you are finding it difficult to source Longines or Omega under £500 then have a think about Certina with their Bristol and Blue Ribbon models also Movado .

Happy hunting and please post if you get a beauty .

Master
    [url=https://gasstation-nearme.com/mobil]
    A 1970’s Aqua Terra! If you start finding the 60’s dress watches a bit dainty you could have a look at the 70’s Cosmics. These come in around £500-£750. They have a modern feel particularly weight wise. My Rolex Precision feels a Battam weight in comparison
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 26th August 2019 at 09:13.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This little beauty was £210 off SC - solid gold Pioneer from 1949 or thereabouts.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    the best way to start a collection and to look into and learn about watch companies, their history and the vast number of watches that have been made over the past years.

you don't need to spend too much and then watch collecting is a very affordable hobby that you can really enjoy without worrying about what their "investment" value is - all this Rolex stuff over the past 5 or 10 years can start to be a distraction away from the whole point of watch collecting.

There are lots of good "cheap" dress watches and for that matter "divers" out there that will create "interest on your wrist" - it's not as if you are going to wear them everyday, but when you do they can feel quite special compared with all this modern stuff.

Also it's good to save "mechanical" watches and keep the repair industry alive

Master
    Just a thought for the OP I’d also look at Zenith and GP. Considering the status of the two companies their 3 hander dress / non Chrono sports watches are absolute vinatge bargains

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Just a thought for the OP I’d also look at Zenith and GP. Considering the status of the two companies their 3 hander dress / non Chrono sports watches are absolute vinatge bargains
    Thanks - there is lots of marvellous stuff out there for little money - collectors paradise as far as choice is concerned

but as has been said - try to find well looked after pieces, even if they are more expensive - been looking at Zodiac Quartz "diver" types, some lovely designs

My contributions, both these 9ct goldies came within the limit.

Master
    Lovely

I've been looking for a "electronic" in the right condition at the right price - you seem to have found one

This is an occasional wearer - picked up on here

not strictly a Dress Watch but I'm happy with it
    Last edited by BillN; 26th August 2019 at 13:18.

Craftsman

Omega 131.5016

I bought this a couple of years ago from eBay. 9ct gold Shackman case, manual wind 601 movement and acrylic crystal and at 33mm, perfect dress watch.

^ nice. Both my Omega and the Smiths Astral above are also Shackman cases.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    I bought this a couple of years ago from eBay. 9ct gold Shackman case, manual wind 601 movement and acrylic crystal and at 33mm, perfect dress watch.

Just a classic design that will always be in style - what more do you need

Craftsman
    Some lovely watches here. I definitely fancy something along these lines.

I did buy a 1959 Smiths Deluxe and it was a lovely watch but I ended up moving it on as it was just too small for me at 33.9mm.

I think my absolute minimum would be 36mm which limits the options a bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Some lovely watches here. I definitely fancy something along these lines.

I did buy a 1959 Smiths Deluxe and it was a lovely watch but I ended up moving it on as it was just too small for me at 33.9mm.

I think my absolute minimum would be 36mm which limits the options a bit.
    although "gold" in Divers etc., would never be my choice

I really like a touch of Gold in a dress watch - just seems appropriate

and I think you have to go "vintage" - these Heritage models look very nice, but generally they are just so much more expensive than the original on which they are based
    Last edited by BillN; 27th August 2019 at 09:22.

Master
    Or you can look up to more opscure vintage brands..

This oldie is 38 mm. Condition of case is a bit rough but it is rehauled and running on UT 6315

£256.10 inc. delivery